Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Theres also the old computer poo poo thread in yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

LucasArts adventure games.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I have a bootstrap issue on MacOS classic. I have a Mac Mini G4 and a clean OS9 image with a browser. I have a application in .sit that want to install. Every non sit copy of StuffIt I can find are disk images. All of the tools to mount those images inside of the OS are provided in .sit. The best solution I’ve found is finding an old stuffit iso and burning that on a PC. Any other approach I’m missing?

Edit: ah never mind I found a bin of stuffit that installed cleanly.

in a well actually fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 9, 2020

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I think the problem I had was that the main classic software archive sites didn’t set the right mime type on the bin I tried from them; another site had a decade old copy.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

barnold posted:

Would there be any interest in a "recent computing" thread? Like, say, from Pentium 1-ish through the Windows XP era. I love this thread but I want to sometimes talk about goofy early-2000s tech that doesn't feel right for this thread in particular. Was going to do a big ol' OP write-up and stuff, talk about poo poo like Dell Dimensions and HP Pavilions and all that fun retail computing stuff from the era.

Also, I'm taking suggestions on what to call the thread/timeperiod in general. My first thought was "mid-century modern computing" but that makes me think of poo poo like the ENIAC or the IBM 650

Just post it here; that era’s already covered here. There’s barely enough traffic to keep this thread alive as-is.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, I am legitimately pissed.

You know that project I mentioned just a few posts ago? Where I was taking the raw manual scans and turning them into something pretty for the internet, and I asked for proofreaders? Well, I got one. I sent him the raw scans and my cleaned up version. He said 'wow it looks amazing'. And then he turned around, threw my work in the trash, put the scans through some automated image processing, and threw that up on the Internet for everyone to see and think he did. He didn't even take credit for my work! It was so important to him that his name be on the project that he made a worse version!

gently caress the Internet.

That sucks, I’m sorry.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

PS/1s are fucky so I’d see if anyone has dropped a faster 486 into your specific model.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I played the A-Train game on the Switch ( https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/a-train-all-aboard-tourism-switch/ ) and it's pretty fun if you like those kind of games.

EDIT: Train snipe

I think I bought this on Steam but what I really wanted was the classic PC US release of A-Train.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

What kind of pure maniac was playing DOOM with a mouse?

Seconded. It’s only 2.5D so you don’t need z axis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you show me how I can keep my work Windows PC from locking up and displaying me as absent while I'm napping, without using the command line, I'm listening.

Mousejiggler.exe

(Or a $5 fake mouse from Amazon)