Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Angry Video Game Nerd just did an episode on the Commodore 64;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDumOYP0ZA0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

As I understand it, getting a real Amiga 1200 days is the sort of thing you have to win the lottery for, either literally to be able to afford one or figuratively to be lucky enough to find one cheap. I know some places offer replacement parts, though, so I was curious: is it possible to put a 1200 together on an installment plan, so to speak, buying all the necessary parts and assembling it? Or are there bits nobody makes anymore?

From what I remember watching RMC's series on building a new Amiga 500 the only critical parts that don't have some sort of modern replacement or equivalent are the special chips the Amiga uses(the ones with lady names), those you'd have to source from an existing Amiga

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Charles Get-Out posted:

MSX games all used arrows keys but uh the computers also always had really prominent cursors keys.

1983:

1986:

1987:

I've always found it funny how MSX was such a huge format in Japan but they never seemed to really try to bring it anywhere else which was probably in the long run it's death

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Had to toss out* my old Windows XP desktop computer last week, wasn't actively using it and we needed to free up garage space, though I did rip out the hard drive first(need to figure out how to access it through my current Windows 10 laptop to make sure I don't have anything important left on there I don't have backed up elsewhere), admittedly never did do a whole lot of gaming on it(aside from some emulation and ZDOOM stuff), as by the time my older brother effectively gave it to me it when he moved out it was already around late 2007 and the thing was even then showing it's age, though it did an okay enough job as a machine to do web browsing and basic video and documents stuff till I got a Windows 8 laptop in late 2013(a 2010 model) that I used until late last year when I finally got myself a more or less properly modern laptop(and got a Steam Deck a little over a month ago as well)

Which makes it a little funny that now I'm kind of feeling the itch a little to potentially start hunting down the stuff needed to do a proper retro gaming computer, probably because I watch LGR's stuff too much, though at the moment I haven't really thought out any specifics since my knowledge of this sort of thing is very basic, beyond a vague idea that I'd want it to cover as large a ground as possible in terms of compatibility with games released for MS-DOS and Windows 9x between the late 80's and first couple years of the 2000's since I don't really have the free space to do the whole LGR "have a bunch of different computers to do different eras of retro computing/gaming" thing(as neat as that is)

*well more "take it to a thrift store to donate" than actually toss in the trash but still

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Just need to find somewhere I can reliably find the parts I would need(or even a ready made computer to act as a base to modify into what I need), not really finding much in the way of good results on eBay or Craigslist that aren't stupid overpriced or aren't quite what I'm looking for(like those mini-PC things that are meant for industrial usage, sure having a super tiny one would be convenient for space reasons* but I imagine it would be a lot more limiting considering the lack of customizing or upgrading one can do with those)

*in a similar vein I'd probably want to find a case that's big enough to fit everything I'd need but has at least some degree of compactness to it, otherwise I probably would have just kept the case for my old XP PC to repurpose for this project

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

wolrah posted:

My first PC has a 486SX-25 and shipped with 2MB of RAM. I convinced my parents to buy another 4MB for it when SimCity Classic wouldn't run (even though it said 2MB as the minimum requirements) and then it got handed down to my grandparents who replaced the original 2MB with 16MB for a total of 20 so it could handle running AOL and IE 3.0 until it was finally retired from daily use some time in '98 or '99.

I bought a CF card adapter years ago and have been meaning to fire it up and image the 129MB hard drive but still haven't gotten around to it. Last time I booted it up was around 10 years ago and it got to the Windows 3.1 desktop as normal then, but I don't have any PS/2 compatible input devices anymore so I wasn't able to do anything from there.

On that note, at one point in the early 2000s I remember seeing the CDW catalog listing actual USB to PS/2 adapters that actively converted protocols so a modern keyboard/mouse could be used on an old system but I haven't been able to find anything of the sort for years, just an infinite quantity of those stupid loving connector converters for transition-era devices that speak both protocols natively and then search engines being "helpful" and assuming I really meant a PS/2 to USB converter. It feels like the sort of thing that there should be an open hardware project using one of the USB host mode capable Arduino type things but I haven't yet come across one.

PS/2 mice and keyboards can still be bought new for pretty cheaply so I'd say just do that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

At this point if you don't already have original hardware it's probably best to just stick to emulation where possible when it comes to retro computing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

You aren't wrong but that's honestly the kind of thing that is more nitpicking than meaningful criticism

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

found out about this guy over on github who's been doing ports of a bunch of old 90's and early aughts Mac games to modern computers, with approval from the original publisher for most of them; https://github.com/jorio

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rewatching the TRS-80 Color Computer video LGR did a couple years ago and on a whim decided to do a quick look on eBay and man those are some pretty low prices for a line of computers as old as they are, most of the time I look up old computers they tend to be really expensive, even for ones much newer, guess the "CoCo" must land in a perfect spot in the intersection of "they made a lot of them", "low demand", and "obscure in the modern day" to stay so relatively cheap

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Reminds me that I should see if anyone has done any analysis on the computers from Control and if there's any real world computers that are reasonably similar in design

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't remember them very well, but googling turned up this picture:

The desktop machine looks to be very strongly based on the IBM 5110, with an IBM monitor set on top of it.

The rack in the right appears to be a PDP-12 on top and a PDP-8/e underneath.

Neat, also on a whim decided to look up the C64 Maxi cause I kind of want to mess around with that kind of thing and did they not make very many of these things or something because they are being scalped like crazy everywhere I'm looking, like they're selling for prices where I'd be better off just buying an actual Commodore 64

Like yeah sure I could just emulate on my regular computer or buy the mini version but I hear the mini version is kind of crappy and also for something like the 64 I want a keyboard already in the same layout(particularly with the PETSCII graphics characters included) and surprisingly no one seems to make a USB keyboard that follows that format(or at least one that is available at a price that is remotely sane)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nielsm posted:

Maybe the Commander X16 keyboard can fulfill that role? I'm not sure if they sell it stand-alone from the computer itself.

They do but it falls firmly in the "insane price range" for me