Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boldor posted:

If you want to get a USB 3.5" floppy drive to read old floppies conveniently ... avoid Amazon, look for a used IBM-branded USB floppy drive on eBay.

Can confirm. I have an Amazon usb floppy drive and it’s pretty useless. Windows 10 isn’t entirely sure what to do with it.

I got a Dell unit that used to go in their older laptops but takes usb as well and it works fantastic.

This vid goes into it a bit

https://youtu.be/wWwp3vVtElw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we're having amigachat, I have an A2000 that has two hard drives in it. I'd like to be able to wipe them and reinstall the OS, but I have literally no clue where to begin. I am assuming the Amiga OS is stored on the hard drives and not in the ROM? How would I wipe them? And how would I reinstall the OS?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thank you for the offer, but yeah, I’m in the US.

Can a PC or Mac write Amiga boot disks? I have some older windows 98 era laptops with floppy drives and a Mac with a floppy and os 9.0 that maybe could do that if it’s possible

E: I totally forgot I have a gotek floppy emulator! Does the Amiga take a standard floppy cable? And are there images online somewhere?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just to be clear, you need to step down from 120v to 100v, correct?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also there is a boot loader called plop that you can install on a floppy, boot from the floppy and instruct it to boot from the CD, even if the bios doesn’t support it. Very slick.

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nvidia Riva 128. The pci version is harder to find than the AGP, but it’ll be a strong performer

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t toss that printer. Someone on ebay will snap that up guaranteed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What can you actually do with that? If I recall it’s not just a regular z80 pc right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had fomo for a minute and then I realized I’d never use it and I have no nostalgia for it or any z80 machine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those graphics for some reason made me think of Elastomania

Man I played the poo poo out of that game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jehde posted:

Elasto Mania rules. You can buy it, and its predecessor Action Supercross, on steam now.

Really? If they work on the steam deck I’m all over that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Retrocomputer Gaming Thread: NABU FOMO

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I thought that was a vinyl at first

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I played a ton of hyperspace delivery boy on my old windows pocket Pc.

A John Romero pocket pc game!!!

I see it’s been ported to windows and Linux so maybe it also works on modern stuff?

Either way I agree that I don’t have a ton of knowledge here but I’m glad you’re doing this.

E: a bunch of stuff from the man himself. Romero leak the GBA build https://romero.smugmug.com/Video-Games/Hyperspace-Delivery-Boy/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 11, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

At this point if you don't already have original hardware it's probably best to just stick to emulation where possible when it comes to retro computing

I’m sort of the opposite in this regard. I’m more interested in the hardware and getting it to work. Having an emulator sort of defeats the purpose for me, even if it is much easier and painless

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I also struggled with displays for a long time, with both retro games and retro computers. I finally bit the bullet and got a small Sony trinitron for old computer use and I’ve discovered that half the vibe with old OS’s for me is seeing them the way I originally saw them, on CRT screens.

There is just something about things like System 7,8,9, DOS, Windows 3.1 and 95 that just looks right on a CRT.

I can also accept period correct crappy laptop screens.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do agree, and there is realistically 0 probability that the average person will dedicate an entire car stall in their garage to housing a PDP-11 so they can mess around with it. In that case, just playing with the emulator is more than fine, IMO

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The way I look at it is that PC is a pretty unified platform but the interesting part comes in the add-ons that can be in them. Graphics accelerators, sound cards, drive controllers, and whatever else make up the bulk of what makes a PC interesting, because, yeah, a 486 is just a fast 386 is just a fast 286, etc

To this end: I just bought an nVidia (remember when they used to stylize it like that?) Riva 128 because it was the first actual 3D GPU I owned and it definitely had a look all it’s own, one that isn’t replicated without that card.

You could argue the look was “bad”, but it colored so much of my early PC gaming experience, that the Riva 128 look is something I remember fondly.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 28, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Another big part of collecting hardware for me is getting the things I used to lust after in PC Magazine as a young nerd.

I used to page through that magazine and dream about how cool the various computers and software packages were.

Those $3000 machines that I never stood a chance of using back then are (relatively) cheap nowadays, and to this threads point, fairly boring, but it’s like if the Lamborghini countach from the poster that everyone had was only $5000 today

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its weird where people split it in their heads. For me, old computers generally stop being interesting after the Pentium 3. P4 and onwards are all basically the same (C2D onwards for absolutely sure), and are just slower versions of what we have today. In fact, I'd argue that if you took the best Core2Quad, loaded it up with RAM and an SSD, it would probably still be a decent PC today.

Also, one of the things I find interesting about older PC's is the ways in which they tried to accomplish things that we take for granted today. Like multiple processors/threads. When every CPU was a single core and non-hyperthreaded, the only way to get more threads was to get more CPU's. I have an older Dell Poweredge kicking around with 4x Pentium III's in it and the design is absolutely wild. And now we've gone in the opposite direction. CPU's have multiple cores with hyperthreading, and the only place you see multiple CPU's anymore is in the server space.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For sure I think there is a split where computers stopped being the new space age cool technology and started being "BEIGE SPREADSHEET BOX" and things definitely got less exciting in general then.

They went from special to commodified. Its a good thing because it meant that lots of people could get their hands on a computer, but it also meant that some of the innovation was pushed out of the industry.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The best bet is probably RF->Composite and then Composite->HDMI with two adapters chained together.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The amiga got eclipsed in most ways I. The mid 90’s but it’s astounding how many amigas with video toasters held on until the death of SD video.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to rent snake rattle and roll constantly for my genesis back in the day because I couldnt find a store that sold it near me

Loved that game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we’re talking fiction computers, are the macro data refinement computers from Severance based on anything?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Trabant posted:

Yup: https://blog.adafruit.com/2022/03/28/severance-prop-terminals-appletv-severance/

With a customized keyboard that includes a trackball that never existed in the original. It also has no escape key :smith:

Nice, of course they are all $$$$$ on eBay.

Oh well, I have a Data General 8086 luggable with an inbuilt oscilloscope that satisfies my 80’s corporate aesthetic needs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

namlosh posted:

Gonna need a pic of this… sounds incredible

It’s amazing, honestly and I’m super disappointed in myself that I haven’t properly written it up yet.

I bought it from a tech that used to work for Data General, it was his field diagnosis and repair machine, used to repair Data General mainframes and minicomputers.

I have a full set of blueprints with it and a ton of internal Data General documentation on it, and given the dearth of information available online I strongly suspect I may have some of the only copies of this info in existence.

The first thing I did upon verifying it boots was back the software up onto 720k floppies, so at least I have that if the hard drive in it dies.

Here’s my artsy fartsy shots of it, but I’ll get some better documentation of it soon

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Old processors are cool and good. Just emulate the whole machine if you’re gonna emulate the CPU