Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Minidust posted:

my RAM story is that the last level of Doom II was basically unplayable, then when my Dad upgraded from 4MB to 8MB it was like I could move and breathe again

oh and a few years earlier when I got the "EXPANSION RAM DETECTED AND UTILIZED" screen in Lemmings after upgrading the Amiga to 1MB :kiddo:

My second PC was an Amiga 500 (my first was an A1200, oddly enough) and it had a little switch built in which turned on the 1 MB RAM expansion that was built into the machine. Fun things happened when you'd flip it while the computer was running.

(Once I got old enough to use a soldering iron I wired the expansion to be permanently on and disconnected the switch because turning it off was only required for three games and they all loving sucked.)

Dr. Quarex posted:

What kind of pure maniac was playing DOOM with a mouse?

That would be literally everyone at id. The demos that came with the game were clearly recorded with a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

For me, real hardware is important just because every micro from that era has a different keyboard layout and emulating them comfortably has and will likely always remain a huge pain in the rear end

Like, look at this poo poo:

e: f,b & also :yeah:

Coffee Jones posted:

8 bit PC keyboards are significantly different from the IBM PS/2 that we all see today. Thing is, most games are going to start straight from boot. So, if you’re emulating, you have a game pad plugged into your PC, and you’re almost never going to touch the keyboard.

The second you get into non game software, you’re required to use the keyboard and if you’re emulating you’re always going to be mapping between your IBM and that original keyboard.That’s definitely a lot of points in favor of actual hardware. The C64 and spectrum keys are covered with little glyphs and function overrides that don’t have PC equivalents.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Coffee Jones posted:

I think it’s a successor to the ZX81 keyboard

I suppose there’s a certain logic in including every keyword in their flavor of BASIC as a dedicated alternate key combo. It looks like they intended coding in BASIC to be the primary purpose of the system, just like how a Symbolics LISP machine (see space cadet keyboard) is dedicated to coding in LISP along with a few system functions. Who among us hasn’t wished for a dedicated Arc Tangent button?

It is, but it's even funkier than that. They figured since before the Spectrum+ they didn't actually have real keys (just either rubber buttons like you'd find on a TV remote or, in the case of the ZX81 and ZX80, painted rectangles on a flat sheet of plastic), they'd spare you the pain of typing in your keywords. Every key has a dedicated BASIC keyword. It wasn't until the Spectrum 128 when their basic let you type in your keywords letter-by-letter.

The Sinclair family of computers is an entire loving mess. Mind boggling that they lasted well into the nineties.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

nielsm posted:

PC games with tracker music soundtrack off the top of my head:
Epic Pinball (1993)
Jazz Jackrabbit (1994)
Radix: Beyond the Void (1995)
Unreal (1998)
Plants vs Zombies (2009)

(Funny that four of those five are published by Epic Megagames.)

Yeah, they are few and far between.

Basically most games on UE1, too; it couldn’t play regular music files unless you added some additional middleware; they dropped xm support in UE2, iirc

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Oh yeah, given the topic, this is an obligatory watch even if you have seen it already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roBkg-iPrbw

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

The worst PSUs have to be Commodore ones; they're essentially a transformer encased in a massive brick of epoxy. Can't imagine how much of a pain in the rear end repairing them has to be.

Did they ever made sensibly designed aftermarket replacements for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

You Am I posted:

I use the SDrive Max on my 800XL for most stuff. I also have a good collection of 400/800 games that I got in a bundle with the hardware:

First time I used the Touch Tablet since I brought the Atari about 6 years ago. Found a working copy of Atari Artist so I could give the tablet a run

Are those the Apple speakers from the G3/G4 era?