Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I won an auction for an MSX2 off Yahoo Japan. It's 100V. Any suggestions for a step-up converter to 120V?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Yeah I had it backwards. Want to run 100v MSX2 on 120v electricity.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm getting a SANYO PHC-23 which has a hardwired plug. I think I'm gonna end up building my own RGB SCART cable so that should be a fun exercise.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Successfully recapped the logic board of my TI-99/4a. Just need to do the power board tomorrow. I'll be paying Parsec when I'm 80.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Why oh why does the up direction on both joysticks stop working when the caps lock is on for the TI 99/4A? A handful of games will warn you and remind you to turn it off, but still...

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Friendly reminder that any time you buy something locally (in this case a C64), ALWAYS ask if they have anything else they'd like to get rid of.

:eyepop:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

the arrow keys :gonk:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm officially a Japanese PC owning weirdo (well I have an MSX2, but that was a much smaller investment). It's CX20 model FM Towns, a 386DX 16 MHz with 2MB of RAM, although I have some SIMMs on the way to upgrade it.

The floppy drives might be bad (either that, or all of the refurbed disks I bought on ebay are bad...or both!). The mouse is definitely bad, the cursor jumps everywhere even after a thorough cleaning. I have an adapter coming that will let me use a PS/2 mouse. It's theoretically possible to use a GoTek for a floppy, but I will need to build my own adapter as it doesn't use a standard floppy cable connector. I found someone that designed a PCB adapter that I could try building. Most games just boot off the CD, which is why it was able to be consolized into the FM Towns Marty. Most games will use a floppy disk to save, but some games like Wing Commander 2 require a hard drive install like a typical MS-DOS game.

Most importantly the CD-ROM works. The GDEMU guy makes an ODE called The Wizard that I apparently just missed pre-orders for. Hopefully this drive lasts long enough until the next batch of orders he does. It is possible to use a SCSI CD-ROM (or ZuluSCSI/BlueSCSI/SCSI2SD/etc) for games with the proper driver/boot disk. But an ODE would probably have the best compatibility.

I successfully installed TownsOS 2.1 L10 (I think the latest version is L50) to the ZuluSCSI. But in order to boot off it you need to boot off the TownsOS CD-ROM and run the setup utility to enable booting from SCSI. I have to do that every time right now because the TWO CMOS batteries are dead, which I will replace shortly. One is a CR2430 and the other is an NC468, which I cannot find any information on. It's apparently 3V rechargeable, like the Dreamcast. Someone on nfg.forums suggested replacing it with a non-rechargable and add a diode.

Right now I have the ZuluSCSI connected externally, but there is an internal hard-drive bay I could install it into once I get things settled.

There's a very mysterious hole on the side of the case which leads to a potentiometer on the motherboard. I'm very curious what that's for. The very well illustrated documentation didn't seem to mention it at all.

I don't actually think the FM Towns games library is very good or interesting. The X68000 or PC88/98 are much better for that. But I think it's interesting that this is a souped-up 386. I think after I upgrade the RAM I could install Windows 3.1. TownsOS is kinda interesting. It's a GUI that runs on top of MS-DOS 3 and has a nice simple aesthetic. I think Fujitsu was highly inspired by the Mac (see the FM Towns all-in-ones). It seems there's a fair number of games and software for it, they use the extension .EXP instead of .EXE. But I think later software is DOS or Windows based.

Here's bonus pics of the A-Train III big box I got with it.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I played the A-Train game on the Switch ( https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/a-train-all-aboard-tourism-switch/ ) and it's pretty fun if you like those kind of games.

EDIT: Train snipe

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

They don't make it easy getting to the powersupply on the FM Towns but it was worth the work, found a swelling cap that I will need to replace.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Well dang, recapping the FM Towns power supply resolved all of the previously mentioned issues. Mouse works perfectly and the floppy disks read and write now. I'm surprised it worked as well as it did, three of the capacitors were hanging on for dear life and probably only had hours left before they failed completely.

In addition to that I replaced the CMOS batteries so it will boot from SCSI without having to go into the settings on every cold boot. I also installed two 8MB SIMMS, bringing the total to 18MB, which is absurd for a 386DX.

EDIT: lol one day later and the Towns isn’t turning on. Looks like a resistor blew on the power supply.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 9, 2023

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

My first PC was a 386 SX 16Mhz with 1MB of RAM. You could upgrade it to 4MB (after disabling the 1MB on board).

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

but the market was flooded with them at the budget end.

Freaking 286s were still being sold when my family got the 386 SX in the early 90s.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

lol Laser was the brand of mine as well.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I like the hardware, personally. Especially for systems I never got to use before, like the MSX. Compared to software a lot of hardware is still a bargain, with some notable exceptions.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

If you like bad displays it sounds like that Hand 386 thing is right up your alley.

e: retro computer snype

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

It wasn't easy but I managed some PC-98 couch gaming.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a few more but they were done by a guy using MTL and they're really bad. I think Dead is the Brain is one such case.

Dead of the Brain seemed pretty coherantly translated.

I booted up a translation of a game called "Desire" and it felt machine translated and boring. I noped the heck out of it when you find a girl on the beach who is literally described as "between 3 and 12 years old" :gonk:

Some of the Touhou games have translations, although they're pretty playable as-is.

And don't forget The Screamer, home of YOSPOS favorite DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Oh there's all of the Farland Story games as well, but the Basement Brothers said the translator jacked up the difficulty needlessly.

I got another Sharp X68000 Super in the other day. I'm hoping at least the mainboard is good so I can revive my Super that suddenly only plays Human 68K 1.x software. I am going to make a Youtube essay titled "Why you shouldn't buy a Sharp X68000".

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I have two Gotek floppy emulators with flashfloppy firmware. I got both from ebay. You basically just dial a disk image. It's great for trying out PC-98 games quickly, before trying to install them on the HD.

What model do you have? I have a PC-9821 Cs2. I don't know how the floppy connectors evolved over time but mine I think is an Amiga style 34-pin connector.

My PC-98 only included one floppy drive and a CD-ROM. The floppy power cable supported two drives, but I had to buy a floppy cable that supported two drives separately, and the case does not really support adding a second floppy drive (Gotek or otherwise) without some additional mounting equipment, so the second Gotek is just secured with some tape. The HD is a Compact Flash to IDE adapter wrapped in some anti-static bag stuffed in the enclosure because there is also no way to mount it without some bracket I am too lazy to make myself. I am scoring 0 points for aesthetics here.

My model has no gameport, and it sounds like gamepad support on PC-98 is pretty hit or miss. I just won an auciton for a gamepad that emulates key presses, although I read a review that mentioned noticeable input lag. I'll have to see for myself. I guess my only alternative would be to buy a Soundblaster or some other soundcard? Not really sure.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I’ll figure out a better solution then. I guess learning how to create 3D printed bits is an inevitable part of this hobby.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEtgzO-Im8w&t=399s

There's some factual errors, like I think the "V" in DOS/V is for VGA, not the number 5, and there was a PC-98 port of Windows 95, but still an interesting video.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 4, 2023

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Being a Minnesotan I have to stan The Oregon Trail. MECC baby.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Buffis posted:

Need to find a nice black CRT to pair this with, but still flexing the rest of this setup cause drat it is nice to own one of these finally.

The stick is designed and 3d printed by me. Inspired by the XE-1

I just shipped my three dead X68000s to iFixRetro in the hopes at least one of them can be brought into working order.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Buffis posted:

Yeah these supposedly loving LOVE killing themselves.
This one has been overhauled by some dude prior to me getting it, and supposedly had all caps replaced and whatnot.
Having a lot of fun with it, but a big part of the appeal is definitely how insanely badass they look.

Yeah the big issue is usually the power supply, or battery leakage on some models. I follow a bunch of Japanese retro folks on twitter, and this made me chuckle.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Well this post definitely convinces me my own ACE with battery damage will never see life. I have a PRO that I think might work if I put in a Pico PSU.

My PC-9821 was $20 and works like a loving champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I had to design my own Pro (1) PicoPSU power supply board so I selfishly recommend you use mine if you can.

Don't worry, I am gonna fix that ACE. I just got tired of being kicked in the balls for six months with no progress.

Of course! Your site has been a valuable resource.