Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Careful with that stuff, it's conductive and can cause all kinds of mayhem if it gets in the wrong places. Since it's a spray it can be difficult to avoid it going all over the shop.

Edit: Although I expect that people other than me have fists which consist less of ham.

legooolas fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

...especially if the drop in the British pound is giving people ideas.

Conversely I guess this means I'm never getting a PC Engine now, as I'm in the UK and my money is now worthless.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Police Automaton posted:

I also ran into a Problem with VESA on that HP Thinclient. VESA modes work fine there, as long as you only use the keyboard. As soon as you just touch the mouse slightly, the computer freezes. I remember I had this very problem many years ago on an old PC of mine but I cannot for the life of me remember what the cause was or how I fixed it.

Not everything was better back then.

IRQ clash? That was one of the more unpleasant problems back then.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Police Automaton posted:

Didn't Apple have some PowerPC that came with Watercooling by default? I bet these things are tons of fun by now.

A bunch of the higher power G5 Mac Pro "cheesegrater" or "wind tunnel" models have water cooling but it's not at all obvious until you delve into them. They have an exciting failure mode as where a leak is common is directly above the power supply...

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wasn't it ridiculously cheap by then and also you could get pirated games on tape way easier than pirating cartridges

Yes. Budget games being 2 or 3 quid (some of which were actually fun, but obviously there were a lot of duffers), plus tape-to-tape copying on your parents' stereo was free :) There must have been a lot of mass duplication going on too, as market stalls often had compilations of pirated stuff for less than a fiver.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

For some reason my parents stereo could never copy C-64 games. I tried a ton of times but it would never work. But yeah, piracy was rampant when it was that easy.

You need to record in mono for maximum reliability (at least for Spectrum tapes), and some couldn't do that when copying tape-to-tape.

I re-learned this recently when trying to capture some tapes I found which weren't available on worldofspectrum.org :)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Police Automaton posted:

Amiga 2000 battery damage

Beware the same thing on A500+ models, as they too have a Ni-Cad battery which really impressively ruins everything if you leave it on there and it leaks.

I now have a standard A500 instead :)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

d0s posted:

Yeah I read about that. Really wish they would re-release the 16c which is like a baller version of that casio I got in the same style as the 12c, it goes for like $170+ on ebay.

Wait, what. Tell them to re-make the 16c immediately if that's the case, they'd sell loads of them to crazies like us :o They could even remove any risk by kickstartering it. I'd back it, at least.

Thinking of kickstarter and being more relevant to the thread, is anyone going to back the Spectrum Next? If so (or not), why (not)?

(I have several spectrums, most of which are broken and I should really get it in gear with fixing, but at least one works and I have a spectranet which is fabulous and a thing I want for all old computers and consoles if possible, but which means that I don't really want another spectrum with more ram or a RPi as a co-processor or whatever)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

Also if I hadn't mentioned I have Dosbox Daum And X builds running Windows 98se but the bugger requires Daemon Tools nonsense in spite of me actually wanting to use my legit CDs.

I faffed about with dosbox a while ago for Windows 9x but hadn't tried the other versions like this, and discovered that Virtualbox with the "freely released when they went bust" version of the SciTech display driver gives 32-bit colour in 98SE and hence good performance for old game goodness (Virtualbox graphics performance at lower colour depths is bad).

Also found that setting up NetWare drivers for IPX networked games between DOS VMs was straightforward enough ^_^

VM support for CD isos might be better than in dosbox? Haven't tried yet :)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know if it's particularly sought-after, it's just one of the most powerful Macs that runs OS 9.

Don't all the G4 Macs also run OS9, and quite a lot faster? The only Mac I have is a titanium PowerBook G4 667 and that came with both OS9 and OS X disks.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

quote:

Writing Amiga floppies from a PC drive

Amigas can do funky custom formats which PC drives can't handle, so as far as I know you need to write those on an Amiga itself. Perhaps use something like Amiga Explorer to push images from a PC over serial (or parallel?)?

JnnyThndrs posted:

As for Amigas, I'm going to play around and see what happens, I recently picked up a working 500 Plus, so I have a testbed.

If it still has the ni-cad clock battery in it then open it up and remove that as soon as possible, otherwise you'll end up with some serious alkaline damage to the board when it invariably leaks... (See attached image)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

wolrah posted:

Win98 network chat, I just threw together a 98SE VM ...

Get the SciTech display drivers and 98 in a VM becomes usable (i.e. fast) enough for old games that I am selling my old hardware I used for that sort of thing to purists with more space than I have :D

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

falz posted:

Unfortunately I think it fits into the large category. Both of these are SCSI enclosures actually. 2.5" portable hdd on top for scale.

Barely counts as large, it's not even full height SCSI.

I'm pretty certain we have a bunch of SCSI stuff at work people might otherwise be interested in if WEEE regulations now didn't mean we can't do anything except hand it over to the contracted company we have who will shred it :cry:

(Edit: spelling)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Fleedar posted:

That’s why I’ve been hesitant to pull the trigger on one, since it seems like there’s a lot more that could go wrong, but my CF card issues have been annoying and difficult to troubleshoot. Under sustained writes, the card will occasionally freeze and disappear from the system until I power cycle it. This has happened in two machines with two different adapters and two CF cards (although both the same brand), and it’s rare enough that it’s been a big pain to replicate reliably with different configurations.

There are big differences between CF cards in terms of quality and reliability, and if they do/don't support UDMA for much faster access (otherwise it's all PIO which is slow). I definitely had problems with some cards in adapters which didn't happen with others.

Obvs your adapter or the connectors might still be iffy, or it getting too hot and something disconnecting?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

I reeeally don't recommend VirtualBox for 98. I tried it to see if I could get Rubik's Games running with sound on my Win10 machine, but setting the VM up was annoying (doable, but annoying) and the end result was that the game still had no sound, but now it ran at like 3FPS, a decided downgrade from just running it in Win10 natively. PCem does the mono-sounds-from-the-left-speaker thing but otherwise runs it much better, and I don't have to set up some weird third-party paid software from a company that went under decades ago to get it working.

I found performance was terrible in Virtualbox for 98 SE until I installed the "SciTech Display Doctor" driver and then everything was peachy.

Although I've not tried very many games on it, so I couldn't say if this made much difference to DirectX performance.
Magic: The Gathering is about the only thing I remember trying and it seemed to be as good as native, but it's probably not a great test.

(I followed some tutorial which I think was on the virtualbox forums which included using AutoPatcher to install a bunch of hotfixes and applications, but I can't find that now)

Edit: This was on a Debian 9 host rather than WIndows 10

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was that an extender like DOS4GW?

Was a command.com replacement shell, IIRC
Also called ndos, possibly for a later version?

Edit: beaten but somehow didn't see that post before I replied!

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

UnkleBoB posted:

I have finally reached the point in my collecting old computers journey that people I haven't talked to in ages are reaching out to me to offer me their childhood computers. Just had one message me and offer up his working VIC-20. Gonna be fun to clean up and test out.

Same here but I have received a Z88, a Toshiba MSX1 (both working and in good condition) and the brownest Atari ST I have ever seen in my life. (Does at least work, though the floppy drive doesn't, so that will get replaced with a Gotek)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

Very nice. If it has a memory expansion with a clock in it, get the battery out of it now, they leak like crazy.

My A500+ was basically destroyed by this - about 50% of the board was covered in blue fur from the battery crapping on everything and corroding it to hell, pulling up board traces etc :(

I now have an unexpanded A500 with no RTC and no battery. Should get a memory expansion to make it 1MB at least though.

Are there network adapters I can use to just hook it up to Ethernet and pull games to play immediately over that instead of needing a gotek and USB/SD cards or real floppy disks? (I've got a Spectranet for my spectrum which does this and it's great!)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Fusion Books has given a couple of free of their books in the past, like the "Story of Amiga in Pixels".

Well, they are giving away a ton of them now! If you ever wanted a whole magazine about the obscure Amstrad CPC or a book covering the Oliver Twins and their creations here's your chance.

Awesome, thank you for pointing at this!

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, well, they loving got me. I legit thought this was a real thing :doh:

It made sense in my head that super cards would be various processors in the same, large die like a proto-SLI attempt. Goddamn it...

Later 3dfx cards did have multiple processors on them and were basically SLI on a card, if I remember correctly (I may not be). Not on one die, but multiple chips on one board.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah it's kind of a weird question. Traditional audio cassettes were never intended for music to begin with, let alone data storage. DAT meanwhile was used for both audio and data storage since the 80s but you didn't see them on home computers because DAT was never promoted as a consumer format due to piracy concerns.

The whole point of audio cassette storage wasn't to achieve data density but to be as cheap as possible, both in terms of using readily available consumer hardware and making the modulation easy to do on a 6502 or equivalent.

This thread got me reading up a bit more about DAT because I always wanted a DAT Walkman years ago, but got a minidisc Walkman instead because it was less than half the price (£220ish for the first sensibly priced minidisc Walkman instead of basically £500). DAT stayed expensive, which I thought was a shame rather than getting cheaper and replacing analogue cassettes in car radios etc.

Seems that most DAT drives aren't compatible with both audio and data, and the tapes for data are much thinner and more likely to cause problems in audio devices. DCC used the same sort of static tape head as analogue tape, whereas DAT uses a Sony had like a VCR so - making DCC much cheaper to build drives for. Still flopped though :D

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I find myself in need of a PPC Mac with a SCSI port to interface with a specific piece of old hardware. Having a really hard time deciding between a Wallstreet G3 because I can just slam the lid down and stow it away nice and compact when I'm not using it 364 days of the year, but on the other hand I've always wanted an old beige tower G3 because I've never owned a beige Mac that wasn't my SE/30. The perils of retro collecting :ohdear:

I'll probably go with the laptop just because I don't really want to deal with a monitor and keyboard and can't really spare the extra space :(

You could probably also use a G4 PowerBook with a PCMCIA SCSI card if any are supported in MacOS 9 on that? (Looks like the Adaptec 1480 Slim is, from a quick Googling, but I've not used that myself) Just in case you already have other similar hardware or could use a quicker OS9 machine for more stuff later.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Man this is a really good call, actually. I was about to pull the trigger on a Wallstreet but now maybe TiBook for collector’s value. Ah geez, options.

They have collectors value? I have a TiBook which I bought back when Apple seemed cool as a Unixy platform and used for years including running Debian Linux on it until it just got too slow to use for a browser or whatever with only 512MB of RAM. Still works fine so far as I know!

This does remind me that I should look at SSD or CF adapter options for that...

Edit: Part of the reason I thought of that was because I was looking at cheap pcmcia cards on eBay for other stuff and wondering how many could be made to work in DOS or whatever and how much you could use old PCs for which people didn't think was possible back then. E.g. video capture or TV cards which just overlay the video in a "window" on whatever you are doing, even in some text-ish modes...

legooolas fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 26, 2021

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

rujasu posted:

95/98 are much harder to emulate

Whilst not emulation as such, running 98 in virtualbox works really well once you get the SciTech display doctor (I think) vesa/vbe video driver, at least for the few games in that era I particularly wanted to play.

I'd like to have something old and native with a CRT for DOS games still, mind, just because I played a bunch of things that way when they were new. And because getting such a thing actually working feels like quite an achievement now! Not quite the effort required to get some demoscene stuff to run, I seem to remember...

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

rujasu posted:

I set up 98 on virtualbox using the Scitech thing and it didn't work very well for me, but it was a few years ago and I could have been doing a number of things wrong. I'm also thinking in terms of early Direct3D games which won't play well with XP or later, and IIRC you can't use Direct3D at all with Scitech.

Ah, I guess the few 95/98 games I wanted to play didn't need Direct3D then, and that explains why I was thinking this was a solved problem. Doh!

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is it better than a nabu?

e: I bid on an Amstrad CPC464 (with a cassette emulator and RGB cable, sans original VDU) and a Commodore VIC 20 but lost on both. Actually glad about the first one, as there is like maybe one game (Jack the Nipper 2) that I know I'd like to play on it (that isn't available for something else, usually better). It's a really cool-looking system but over 250€ is way too much without the monitor. A VIC I'd like just to complete the "family" but not paying more than 70€ right now for a possible project. The VIC games I want to play, I'll just play on the The VIC20, if I ever get around to it.

ee: That ENTER key, tho :eyepop:

eee: A PPC6128 for under 300€ I'd probably go for. We had them in school and they're great. Too bad about the boring keyboard :(

€250 for a CPC464? Is it made of gold or something? Shouldn't be more than about €100 to get one from the UK into the EU even after import duty or whatever, if you really want one.
(Maybe postage would be quite a bit as it's fairly heavy?)

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm not selling it, I just bid on it until it got too expensive for my blood.

Yeah I got that, just saying that that seems bonkers for a sale price on it :) There have certainly been ones which have gone for a lot cheaper recently on eBay in the UK. There probably aren't *that* many about as it was (in the circles I frequented at least!) a distant third place in popularity here after the Speccy and C64 originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

What kind of pure maniac was playing DOOM with a mouse?

Doom with a keyboard at all times.

Decent also with a keyboard but using wasd and the number pad so that you could strafe up/down/left/right and also rotate in all directions, but then discover that you couldn't press more than 4 keys at once or something when you tried to do all the things at once. In the middle of a ludicrous fight of course.

If n-key rollover keyboards existed then I would have been unstoppable! Pewpew!