Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
The first game that really taught me what brutal is, was the game Phantasie III: Wrath of Nicademus. I had the Amiga 500 version (I believe there were atari/pc versions as well, maybe even c64/tandy) and it was completely merciless. I ran up so many parties that died ignobly because they were asleep and got ambushed by monsters or I strayed just a shade too far from the starting town and got murdered by pretty much anything.

Sometimes it was just a case of "Well, my wizard just lost his right arm and leg and I can't fix that until my priest gets Healing III/IV and the Priest has a crushed head and is OUT. Time to make a new Wizard!". Then when your entire party finally did die, you got sent off to judgement and that rear end in a top hat thing just destroyed them outright or made them into undead partymembers who couldn't level up and were stuck at level 15 (despite not actually having any improved stats of being said level). Rarely he'd resurrect them.

I think that game is what caused my chronic battle with altitis. I still haven't beaten it, I give it a try every other year or so.

I also had an MSX Express, which as far as I can remember was basically an MSX, except it was white and maybe a tiny bit faster? I played the poo poo out of Maze of Galious II on that thing, until one fateful day the arrow keys on it broke and it was forever going to the right whenver you tried to play a game.

(This thread is awesome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU