Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

unknown posted:

Anyone played with http://speedof.me - I think made by the dslreports people, but don't quote me on that.

Comes with such awesome claims as "SpeedOf.Me is an HTML5 Internet speed test. No Flash or Java needed! It is the smartest and most accurate online bandwidth test. It works well on iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows 8 and other mobile devices, as well as desktop computers."

So far seems pretty accurate in my testing.

Speedof.me kind of has issues that sometimes you connect to poo poo peer tests. It happens enough for me that I can't use it for my work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

authwiggidywack
Oct 29, 2013

$100 CAD / mo

:frog:

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

$49.95/month, if I had a better router I think it'd be faster. Still more bandwidth than I need anyways.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

peak debt posted:

Yeah I honestly never thought this day would come but I have no idea what I'd use faster Internet for :(

Same. I'm at 150/15 now after a bump and even when I was at at 100/10 I couldn't say I felt I actually *needed* more.

I live with two other people and we could all be watching 4K Netflix, listening to Google Music, playing a game, chatting on Mumble, streaming on Twitch, and using our VoIP phones at the same time with bandwidth to spare. Only bulk transfers like uploads or downloads actually use the capacity, everything streaming combined doesn't even come close.

I would like more bandwidth because I'd always like more bandwidth, but I'm not sure I'm interested in paying for more and honestly when my contract is up I think I might downgrade to the tier below (which is now 100/10) to save a few bucks a month.

After getting used to most well-hosted content downloading practically instantly I now get irrationally angry when I come across something that's seemingly hosted on a server from the '90s riding on a T1 somewhere in Nowheristan. gently caress you, every random vendor who puts the absolute bare minimum effort in to their driver site.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, I have that moment when I'm getting something at 300 KB/s and it's annoying me, and then I think about life in '99-00 when I would have performed unspeakable sexual acts to get a consistent 5 KB/s :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Panty Saluter posted:

Yeah, I have that moment when I'm getting something at 300 KB/s and it's annoying me, and then I think about life in '99-00 when I would have performed unspeakable sexual acts to get a consistent 5 KB/s :v:

I had exactly the same thought when I discovered the speed upgrade the other day. 10 years ago I had dialup on bad lines that gave me 28.8 on a good day. I'd park my truck in a neighborhood near my work so I could leave my laptop under the seat using whatever open WiFi was around to try to knock out my queues in whatever P2P crap I was using at the time.

These days my storage drive takes more time to spin up out of sleep than most downloads take to complete. I have over 5000 times the download speed I had back then, over 50,000 times what my first modem delivered (2400 baud in 1992).

I should dig out my old 486 and see if I can get it online, do PPP over serial to my server or something, regain some perspective on the old days.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 14, 2015

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Finally got them MAXXXXXXXX upgrades :haw:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

Finally got them MAXXXXXXXX upgrades :haw:

Upload still ain't poo poo. :cmon:

Edit:

:jeb:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 19, 2015

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

KillHour posted:

Edit:

Jesus Murphy!! :drat: Time Warner is my only option :(

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, you're not gonna see a lot of improvement on upload for most cable systems unless they deploy very extensive plant upgrades. Not saying it won't happen but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

$59.90 for primary 768K DSL for me
$53.95 for secondary 512K DSL for everyone else in the house.

Admittedly, I'm in rural Illinois and I'm ~4.4 miles from the exchange in the ~3000 resident town I live outside so I'm just happy I was even able to get something other than satellite with its retarded, puny data caps and horrendous pings.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

Edit:

Connected my computer straight to the ONT.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Fellow gigabit brother! :hfive:

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

xergm posted:

Fellow gigabit brother! :hfive:

I have a lovely Apple router that won't let me use all of it. The router has been rock solid and I don't really need a gigabit to just surf the web so I'll stick with it for a while.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Not as cool as you google fiber guys, but I've got more than enough internet now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Comcast Blast 50/10 throttled to 45/9 with fq_codel for debloatification.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Switched to T-Mobile and they gave me a free router that is better able to cope with the fiber speeds.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:eyepop:

More at the latency than anything else.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
This is what I have now at the new apartment:

(the service plan I have is nominally 110/15)

Unfortunately, RCN doesn't offer their 330 megabit service from NYC metro in Boston.

For all of June though? It was 3/1 Comcast at a place I was staying outside the city where the hosts never felt the need to upgrade since 1999, apparently.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Thanks Ants posted:

:eyepop:

More at the latency than anything else.

More at the giveaway router performing decently than anything else :v:

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

I am really lucky to live in the first area the city is rolling out the fiber to. I had an old Apple router that worked well and when t-mobile offered this one for free I jumped on it. I contemplated buying a new router when we signed up earlier this year and glad I held out.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Panty Saluter posted:

The router that T-Mobile gives away (or more accurately, loans) for free is an ASUS RT-AC68, one of the top-end models on the market.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GokieKS posted:

The router that T-Mobile gives away (or more accurately, loans) for free is an ASUS RT-AC68, one of the top-end models on the market.

Wow, what's the incentive for them to do that? Is it for signing up for X years of service?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

Wow, what's the incentive for them to do that? Is it for signing up for X years of service?

I just signed up and I got one for free. If I never return it they'll charge me $99.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

god this blows posted:

I just signed up and I got one for free. If I never return it they'll charge me $99.

I guess they don't want them back.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Panty Saluter posted:

You have to be a T-Mobile customer, obviously. It also is configured for Wi-Fi calling, which I'm assuming you can't disable, so it reduces their cell network usage and boosts reliability/coverage (leading to better customer retention, presumably).

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am addicted to the internet, bad. Just moved to a place with no internet: bad. Might be buying a house in the boonies with no cable or phone line to it. Talked to Comcast, their line ends at 1700 and I am about a mile away--4800 feet. There is one intersection and the whole setting is rural as gently caress. Open fields, farm, etc. There are like 4 other houses around mine, but I will have like 5 acres and the house is about 20 feet from the road.

I talked to customer service and she put in a ticket for them to get back with me about an estimate. I'm hearing horror stories of $4-5 a foot, $20,000 bills to get to a customer, etc. Is this what I can expect, if they even agree to do it? Is it a huge pain in the rear end for them to build a mile? There are power lines to my house already on telephone poles, don't know if that makes a difference. There are tons of trees between me and the neighbors.

I made an offer on the house that got accepted and it's a fuckin sweet house that I want. I am living with the possibility that I will have to get satellite/4g hotspot and I'm psyched up for it. It's gonna loving suck. Like this house is amazing, except for the fact that there's no cable or dsl option.

My significant other would probably be pretty pissed if we backed out now, and we would lose $500 earnest money. Probably would be a bad move. As infantile as this sounds, I loving want internet access and am having a tough time imagining life without it. Yeah, I'll have plenty of outdoor stuff to do. I'll be busy throwing piles of money into a furnace, I mean "owning a home", but I still want to be able to kick back and play some games online for like a half hour every few days.

Judging from everything I've seen, cable companies charge retarded amounts to dig out to places that are very close. I'm not getting into the morality of that here, but what do you guys suppose my options are?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
From 1997 to 2005, I had dial-up that never stayed connected for more than four hours tops. Connected at about 33k most of the time, too, so my max download was about 4 KB/sec. This cost $60/mo and I tried negotiating new prices every four months for years to no avail. I lived too far out of town for DSL, according to my ISP, but we wound up switching to awful satellite internet later that year with a 3GB/mo data plan. That lasted all of two months when I ran into someone at the ISP at a grocery store and he said he could try to get the DSL working, but it probably wouldn't. Surprisingly, the DSL worked fine and I finally had "broadband" at 1.5 Mbps for $60/mo.

Fast forward to last year when I move to an apartment complex with an included Comcast Business package. I was getting about 30 Mbps down, which is significantly faster than any access I had previously. A couple of weeks ago, the internet went down for a minute or two so I rebooted my router and noticed everything running significantly faster. My complex switched over to fiber and now I'm getting this for $25/mo:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

vandalism posted:

I am addicted to the internet, bad. Just moved to a place with no internet: bad. Might be buying a house in the boonies with no cable or phone line to it. Talked to Comcast, their line ends at 1700 and I am about a mile away--4800 feet. There is one intersection and the whole setting is rural as gently caress. Open fields, farm, etc. There are like 4 other houses around mine, but I will have like 5 acres and the house is about 20 feet from the road.

I talked to customer service and she put in a ticket for them to get back with me about an estimate. I'm hearing horror stories of $4-5 a foot, $20,000 bills to get to a customer, etc. Is this what I can expect, if they even agree to do it? Is it a huge pain in the rear end for them to build a mile? There are power lines to my house already on telephone poles, don't know if that makes a difference. There are tons of trees between me and the neighbors.

I made an offer on the house that got accepted and it's a fuckin sweet house that I want. I am living with the possibility that I will have to get satellite/4g hotspot and I'm psyched up for it. It's gonna loving suck. Like this house is amazing, except for the fact that there's no cable or dsl option.

My significant other would probably be pretty pissed if we backed out now, and we would lose $500 earnest money. Probably would be a bad move. As infantile as this sounds, I loving want internet access and am having a tough time imagining life without it. Yeah, I'll have plenty of outdoor stuff to do. I'll be busy throwing piles of money into a furnace, I mean "owning a home", but I still want to be able to kick back and play some games online for like a half hour every few days.

Judging from everything I've seen, cable companies charge retarded amounts to dig out to places that are very close. I'm not getting into the morality of that here, but what do you guys suppose my options are?

Local Wireless ISP (WISP)? Or get a deal and set up your own microwave point to point .

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The reason they charge a lot is because it really does cost a lot to get all the stuff built and set up initially. Sure after its up and running even a single subscriber more than pays for ongoing maintenance, but the initial build requires a lotta labor and materials.

Incidentally there may be the possibility of getting a fiber line from the nearest central telephone office out to your place. Shouldn't cost all that much more, and you'd have hella bandwidth for the money.

Finally, if you really need gaming quality latency but are on a tight budget, bonded ISDN lines should still be available anywhere you can get a dial tone.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 23, 2015

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

vandalism posted:

I did almost the same thing you are doing. My house is 1700ft off the main road and Comcast had to build out the lines to our house where power/telephone poles were already there. Don't waste your time with the residential service people. They will never get anything done. Call comcast business and see what deal they can work for you. I had to sign a 3 year contract for phone and voice (~140 bucks a month for 50/10 & 1 phone line) for them to run the line out to my house. It was a hell of a lot better than the 1meg/1meg wisp w/ 50% packet loss for 50 bucks a month.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Find the closest person on your street with access. Offer to straight-up pay for their internet if they are willing to split it with you.

Install a pair of these somewhere with line of sight between them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049AVWAO/

Congratulations on becoming your own WISP.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

KillHour posted:

Find the closest person on your street with access. Offer to straight-up pay for their internet if they are willing to split it with you.

Install a pair of these somewhere with line of sight between them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049AVWAO/

Congratulations on becoming your own WISP.

You know I see this advice from time to time, but there is absolutely no chance I would ever give someone access to internet service in my name. It's just too risky. Maybe I would feel differently with a very clear contract and if they paid for the cable in THEIR name.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Also there's going to be an issue that requires restarting the router right during the middle of your poopsock raid night and the neighbor isn't going to be home when you call.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Shame on me for not shopping. Until a few weeks ago I was paying $50/month for 6mbps through ATT DSL in Atlanta. Switched to comcast, 75mbps for $40/month.

Yes, yes. Much better

My neighborhood will get Google Fiber when it's finally rolled out; no idea if I will still be living here though!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My local fiber ISP just started offering 1G/500M speeds... http://www.etczone.com/internetPlans.asp Ouch on the pricing though. $146 USD per month.

I already pay $86 for 40/20.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Hexenritter posted:

$59.90 for primary 768K DSL for me
$53.95 for secondary 512K DSL for everyone else in the house.

Admittedly, I'm in rural Illinois and I'm ~4.4 miles from the exchange in the ~3000 resident town I live outside so I'm just happy I was even able to get something other than satellite with its retarded, puny data caps and horrendous pings.

What's up fellow person living in the middle of nowhere? :smith::hf::smith:

$30 a month for this.

I'm in a tiny village of 600ish people, half of them being Amish. Used to have the same speed as yours until it just doubled one day out of nowhere, you have no idea how happy I was about that. At least everything else about the place was cheap.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Naffer posted:

You know I see this advice from time to time, but there is absolutely no chance I would ever give someone access to internet service in my name. It's just too risky. Maybe I would feel differently with a very clear contract and if they paid for the cable in THEIR name.

Probably depends on how old and/or tech savvy the person you ask is.

Vulcan posted:

Also there's going to be an issue that requires restarting the router right during the middle of your poopsock raid night and the neighbor isn't going to be home when you call.

Get a router with SSH, scrub.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Its usually not your call when you're the one asking for favors.

I have Verizon 4G LTE Home now with overage charges through the roof because the guy who I'm bouncing a comcast internet signal from refuses to upgrade from the slowest package they offer, refuses to let me upgrade his antenna, even after I have agreed to pay the difference- let alone let me come on his property and touch the equipment.

You'd have to be buddies or meet up with a really cool dude for it to work out in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vulcan posted:

Its usually not your call when you're the one asking for favors.

I have Verizon 4G LTE Home now with overage charges through the roof because the guy who I'm bouncing a comcast internet signal from refuses to upgrade from the slowest package they offer, refuses to let me upgrade his antenna, even after I have agreed to pay the difference- let alone let me come on his property and touch the equipment.

You'd have to be buddies or meet up with a really cool dude for it to work out in reality.

I guess it depends on who you're dealing with, yeah.

• Locked thread