Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Kakesu posted:

Will the 2011 actually do gigabit WAN-LAN in real-world consumer scenarios (i.e. NAT)? My 450G caps at around 300-350 Mbit with the CPU pegged at 100%, and the 2011 has a slower processor than that does.

I've been considering a 9-core Butt Core for my gigabit fiber connection (or at least an 1100). I've also been looking at the EdgeRouter line, but we use MikroTik at work so I'm already familiar with the system.

I tried using a 2011 for a while and with a few firewall/NAT rules I couldn't even saturate my 50Mbps connection at the time without it falling on its face. Replaced it with an EdgeRouter Lite and have nearly identical firewall/NAT rules and it handles my now 300Mbps connection without breaking 10% CPU.

Take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I've been looking at what people are replacing their Google Fiber provided router with, and the Edgerouter Lite seems to be a popular option. I would certainly expect it would let you max out a gigabit connection if people are playing with it in Google Fiber.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I read this thread and cry. (10/1 for 27€/mo)

I mean it works fine but gently caress.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Farecoal posted:

Hi I just want to say gently caress you to all you goons with speeds better than 10 mbs and reliable connections. gently caress you AT&T :(

I'd be happy with even just 3mbs... Been paying $60+ for 6 years for my DSL which keeps getting slower and is my only wired option. Any call for help results in only wasted time. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had a random 6 months of 4.5mbs and an upgrade to 7mbs in September that was then taken away a month later. My upload speed has been getting slower and slower making most things impossible to do. I have an unlimited cell data plan and get this speed which helps for some things, but I can only do so much on my phone. My 10gb tether cap gets used up quick.

2010 (my d/l was usually 1.3 - 1.5mbs most of the years, this is just the oldest one I have saved)

I can't play any online games with this upload without disconnecting or unplayable ping. It's been quite frustrating. The only good thing is the contract I renewed for that brief upgrade period halved the cost, so I'm only paying $30 or so now. I'm just in a small rural pocket barely a mile or so from normal neighborhoods with either CL DSL or Comcast at 10+ mbs.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Toiwat posted:

I read this thread and cry. (10/1 for 27€/mo)

I mean it works fine but gently caress.

I get those speeds for AU$140 a month (including phone line though).

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Prescription Combs posted:

I tried using a 2011 for a while and with a few firewall/NAT rules I couldn't even saturate my 50Mbps connection at the time without it falling on its face. Replaced it with an EdgeRouter Lite and have nearly identical firewall/NAT rules and it handles my now 300Mbps connection without breaking 10% CPU.

Take that as you will.

Your RB2011 had some kind of Latvian QA problem, it should normally be capable of much more. I can't give you any NAT numbers but between networks in the office with a few firewall rules it sustains over half a gig and I'm pretty sure I'm limited by the old poo poo we run.

Someone had mentioned it being slower than an RB450G, the RB450G has a much older CPU.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

xergm posted:

I've been looking at what people are replacing their Google Fiber provided router with, and the Edgerouter Lite seems to be a popular option. I would certainly expect it would let you max out a gigabit connection if people are playing with it in Google Fiber.

I found this by looking for something else, but I do have a question: What wireless router could I expect the best speeds with? The provided router shows a connection at around 600 mbps at any given time, but I only get speeds of about 200 mbps. When I'm wired, I get the full gigabit.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

No Butt Stuff posted:

I found this by looking for something else, but I do have a question: What wireless router could I expect the best speeds with? The provided router shows a connection at around 600 mbps at any given time, but I only get speeds of about 200 mbps. When I'm wired, I get the full gigabit.

Something that supports 802.11ac, also upgrade all your wireless stuff to support 802.11ac. :homebrew:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Pretty much, it's 802.11ac or bust.

I'm stuck with their 1st generation network box which only supports up to 802.11n. I'm curious if I could get the newer one that supports 802.11ac if I ask real nice.

Capitan
Dec 21, 2015
Love my ISP and the speed is OK too.

1gig fiber GPON

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:eyepop:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So, I'm renting a room from a couple who refuse to use anything but DSL in their home. They pay something like at least $60/mo. for 300 kb/s downloads, mostly because it comes as part of their phone package from Verizon. If one person watches a Youtube video, nobody can do anything, much less if they stream a show on DirecTV, which makes the connection unusable (They launch the episode, then pause it while it buffers for like 20 minutes). They insist DSL is the best and everyone uses it because it "just works" even when it's down for no good reason. Meanwhile all of our neighbors have stuff like FIOS and Xfinity.

Most of that was just venting, though. Is there some kind of option for me to have fast internet without any ridiculous bandwidth caps? Would it even be possible to just call up a cable company and say "I want a cable modem for myself in this house that has already has a DSL line, even if it's for one device?" Downloading newer games off Steam is especially a nightmare. It took 36 hours total download time to get Wolfenstein: The New Order, and multiplayer PvP games are right out the window.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Plan Z posted:

Would it even be possible to just call up a cable company and say "I want a cable modem for myself in this house that has already has a DSL line, even if it's for one device?"

Yes, that's no problem at all.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Plan Z posted:

So, I'm renting a room from a couple who refuse to use anything but DSL in their home. They pay something like at least $60/mo. for 300 kb/s downloads, mostly because it comes as part of their phone package from Verizon. If one person watches a Youtube video, nobody can do anything, much less if they stream a show on DirecTV, which makes the connection unusable (They launch the episode, then pause it while it buffers for like 20 minutes). They insist DSL is the best and everyone uses it because it "just works" even when it's down for no good reason. Meanwhile all of our neighbors have stuff like FIOS and Xfinity.

Most of that was just venting, though. Is there some kind of option for me to have fast internet without any ridiculous bandwidth caps? Would it even be possible to just call up a cable company and say "I want a cable modem for myself in this house that has already has a DSL line, even if it's for one device?" Downloading newer games off Steam is especially a nightmare. It took 36 hours total download time to get Wolfenstein: The New Order, and multiplayer PvP games are right out the window.

Nothing stopping you, as long as the people you're renting from are okay with it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

KillHour posted:

Nothing stopping you, as long as the people you're renting from are okay with it.

That's cool. I was also worried the DirecTV being an issue, but I just lack knowledge on this stuff.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
As long as the property owners are cool with it, cable can run a separate line to your room.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Trip report: Xfinity doesn't work with DirecTV if there's only one line to the house. This slipped through a lot of people, including folks at the Comcast store. gently caress, I just want internet from this century.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
DirectTV is satellite, would it even be connected to the outside line? The DSL is over the phone line, their TVs and the home cabling are hooked up to the dish, so the outside cable line should be free and not connected to anything, right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xergm posted:

DirectTV is satellite, would it even be connected to the outside line? The DSL is over the phone line, their TVs and the home cabling are hooked up to the dish, so the outside cable line should be free and not connected to anything, right?

Yes, in many cases satellite is installed by unplugging the cable at the neighborhood distribution box, and the satellite signal feeds into the existing cable wiring in the house. In order to have a separate cable hookup, the cable company could need to run a whole new line to the house from the neighborhood distribution box, because reconnecting the existing line will mean interference between satellite and cable signals.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Yes, but the other end of that cable usually enters the house and goes to a splitter, You should be able to disconnect it from the splitter, and connect it directly to the cable that runs to your room. The cable company would hook it back up at the distribution end, and your modem would have a straight path to the cable network with nothing in-between.

Unless their wiring is something crazy that can't be disconnected at the splitter, there shouldn't need to be a new line run at all. I've never seen a cable setup that wasn't hooked up to a splitter. Everything I've seen can be disconnected at the customer end as well as at the service end.

It might be useful to figure out where the cable is distributed inside (or outside, inside a plastic service box in my case) the house and take a picture of it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xergm posted:

Yes, but the other end of that cable usually enters the house and goes to a splitter, You should be able to disconnect it from the splitter, and connect it directly to the cable that runs to your room. The cable company would hook it back up at the distribution end, and your modem would have a straight path to the cable network with nothing in-between.

Unless their wiring is something crazy that can't be disconnected at the splitter, there shouldn't need to be a new line run at all. I've never seen a cable setup that wasn't hooked up to a splitter. Everything I've seen can be disconnected at the customer end as well as the service end.

There are many places where the splitter is buried in a crawlspace or up in the corner of an attic or something like that. Cable companies tend to be loath to work around that stuff unless you can guarantee you aren't going to gently caress things up, because they do not want to be liable for loving up the satellite company's equipment.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm at uni with some pretty decent internet speeds, but if too many people use it at once, it "throttles" your connection. I put throttle in quotations because what actually happens is 1 second of full speed followed by 1 second of no connection at all, rapidly cycling.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Plan Z posted:

Trip report: Xfinity doesn't work with DirecTV if there's only one line to the house. This slipped through a lot of people, including folks at the Comcast store. gently caress, I just want internet from this century.

In most cases they should be able to run a new drop to the house and a new line to one room if necessary (functionally separating you from the rest of the house. The only restrictions I can imagine are a bitchy HOA that doesn't like external lines or very funky house construction. You may need to tell them you need a new line run to that room and you may have to pay for it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

xergm posted:

Unless their wiring is something crazy that can't be disconnected at the splitter, there shouldn't need to be a new line run at all. I've never seen a cable setup that wasn't hooked up to a splitter. Everything I've seen can be disconnected at the customer end as well as at the service end.

It might be useful to figure out where the cable is distributed inside (or outside, inside a plastic service box in my case) the house and take a picture of it.

The deal is that there was once the main line plugged into basic splitters, but when they got DirecTV, the company put down their own proprietary special splitter, which is why I get no connectivity through my room's coax. It feels weird that they would unplug the main cable line from the original splitter to put it into the DirecTV splitter if it's pointless to do so. I can fiddle around with it to see if the cable is necessary, which it would seem shouldn't be the case now that you mention it (complaining aside, I like them both a lot, but they get a weird sense of ego mixed into the things they buy). I'll just have to fiddle when they go to bed. I've been reading the manuals, and I know what's safe to pull out and try. Reminds me of what I loved and hated about working maintenance in a big hotel.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Fios finally made it over to our place and whaddya know, their price for 100mbit is the same for Comcast's 25 (in Comcast's home city of Philadelphia, no less.)

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Plan Z posted:

The deal is that there was once the main line plugged into basic splitters, but when they got DirecTV, the company put down their own proprietary special splitter, which is why I get no connectivity through my room's coax. It feels weird that they would unplug the main cable line from the original splitter to put it into the DirecTV splitter if it's pointless to do so. I can fiddle around with it to see if the cable is necessary, which it would seem shouldn't be the case now that you mention it (complaining aside, I like them both a lot, but they get a weird sense of ego mixed into the things they buy). I'll just have to fiddle when they go to bed. I've been reading the manuals, and I know what's safe to pull out and try. Reminds me of what I loved and hated about working maintenance in a big hotel.

Yeah, if you can figure out which line your room is and hook it back up to the cable company's outside line, you should be good to go. Unfortunately, if they didn't have the foresight to label the lines, that may take some trial and error. A good opportunity to be a good tenant and label them while you're at it if you're already going through the trouble.

This also means you won't have satellite to your room, but having fast internet seems more important to you, and you'd actually have the bandwidth for things like Netflix.

At least the satellite company didn't just straight up cut the line. I've found a few DirectTV label cables around my house, so I assume it must've had satellite at some point. The line that runs from the splitter to the customer disconnect was straight up cut. It's after the customer service box though, so it's just a matter of running a new cable. I have fiber though, so I'll probably never bother to fix it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

xergm posted:

Yeah, if you can figure out which line your room is and hook it back up to the cable company's outside line, you should be good to go. Unfortunately, if they didn't have the foresight to label the lines, that may take some trial and error. A good opportunity to be a good tenant and label them while you're at it if you're already going through the trouble.

This also means you won't have satellite to your room, but having fast internet seems more important to you, and you'd actually have the bandwidth for things like Netflix.

At least the satellite company didn't just straight up cut the line. I've found a few DirectTV label cables around my house, so I assume it must've had satellite at some point. The line that runs from the splitter to the customer disconnect was straight up cut. It's after the customer service box though, so it's just a matter of running a new cable. I have fiber though, so I'll probably never bother to fix it.

Thankfully when I helped the husband of the couple I'm renting from do a lot of work in the house, we agreed to label every coax cable, so it's super easy (I had to do something like this at the hotel, and it was awful but worth it). So I tried to pull out what I thought was the main line (it was the only coax leading from outside the house), and the DTV in the house went all nutty. Turns out this is the deal:

That black cable connected to the white cable is the line from the satellite. As far as I can guess, that line on the left is the main cable line, so instead of taking the effort to run a line into the house (which would be genuinely a pretty big pain) the DTV guy unplugged that white cable that I know runs into the house from the main line, and used it for DTV. Kind of annoying, but I'm a little relieved since if I want cable, I don't need to run a a whole new line to the house from the street. I think I'm just gonna call Comcast to see if one of their guys can do it, while I give those wasps a proper memorial service.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 8, 2016

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Sounds like you're renting from a pretty awesome couple. In the end, it'll all come down to whatever Comcast wants to do, but that all looks pretty good if you've got a main line.

They should be able to do a new run for you, and if the couple ever rents to someon else, it'll probably be better in the long run to already be set up for that.

That picture brings back horrible memories. I found a wasp nest in my box too when I went to check out all how all the lines were run when I put in a pair of MOCA adapters. They must love making nests in those things for some reason.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

xergm posted:

Sounds like you're renting from a pretty awesome couple. In the end, it'll all come down to whatever Comcast wants to do, but that all looks pretty good if you've got a main line.

They should be able to do a new run for you, and if the couple ever rents to someon else, it'll probably be better in the long run to already be set up for that.

That picture brings back horrible memories. I found a wasp nest in my box too when I went to check out all how all the lines were run when I put in a pair of MOCA adapters. They must love making nests in those things for some reason.

Yeah, beyond the baby-boomer stubbornness, they're good people. After explaining it to them, they seem like they'd be willing to dump DSL and even DirecTV since they never really liked the latter that much anyway. Hopefully it's useful information for anyone who gets cable internet with DirecTV or something. Just a little frustrated since I thought I was just going to be able to plug it in, and start watching Netflix, downloading Steam, and not getting Shitstomped with 300 ping in Rainbow Six right away.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 8, 2016

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I mentioned in the home networking thread order wireless service from Karma (https://yourkarma.com). I've been using it since Christmas and it's been a great alternative to my crumby rural 1.3mb/s only DSL.

It uses the Sprint data network and caps speeds at 5mb/s, but you can either pay for limited data or around 40-50$ a month (depending on how many months you buy) for unlimited data on a non-contract month to month plan. The device was 100$ with the holiday sale (150$ normally) and is an open wifi connection. Anyone can connect, and I think it's 3 or 5 simultaneous users at once. You have to authenticate through a browser login into your account which then draws from whatever plan you have. You can only have 3 devices assigned to your account, but can easily remove/add different ones. You can connect to any karma device out there, but you have to link the one you buy to your account to have basic control of it.

If someone else connects to the device you own you get credit towards the plan you have. It's worked great for HD streaming and downloading games and patches with a constant rate. Some games have issues with NAT stuff since you can't open ports or anything like that. It gives me weird routing, too, since the IP I get can end up being all over the US on Sprint's network. I can't get authenticate into my account on my blu-ray player since the browser function isn't adequate, but read if you can mac spoof with something you can authenticate on, you can then use console systems and the like.

Although I get 20mb/s+ on my cell phone, it's data capped for tethered devices, my DSL company refuses to upgrade my connection past 1.3mb/s, and there are no other services available. It's nearly 4x faster than my DSL for 60% of the cost I had been paying. Upload speed varies from 250kb/s to 1mb/s at my home, but faster in more urban places. So, it might be good for some one on the go or in non-permanent places wanting decent internet for streaming and stuff. The range on the device has been fine for my little home to connect my PC on one side and laptop a few rooms away.

It's a young company and idea. The device lacks any type of customization or admin type stuff other than rebooting, battery status and changing the 3 assigned devices through a mobile app. I accidentally added my co-workers device to my account since he hadn't logged in to it yet after purchase and I was the 1st to connect to it, so that's a bit of a security concern. An email to support got it changed that day. I'm happy so far, though, and am glad to finally be able to stream stuff in HD at my home. It's the 1st unlimited cell data device I've seen.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Did you catch this update yesterday? http://www.slashgear.com/karma-cuts-neverstop-data-plan-speed-in-half-due-to-abuse-11422426/

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So, the Xfinity guy actually did a great job of setting up a new wire. It's amazing to me that I can now watch streaming 1080p while downloading a 40MB steam game in under 30 minutes.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Awesome news, Plan Z!. Welcome to the modern world! :science:

I'm glad you finally got it all figured out and getting a tech out there to look at it was all it took to get everything sorted out.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Plan Z posted:

So, the Xfinity guy actually did a great job of setting up a new wire. It's amazing to me that I can now watch streaming 1080p while downloading a 40MB steam game in under 30 minutes.

See? Told ya that was all that had to happen :v:

xergm posted:

Awesome news, Plan Z!. Welcome to the modern world! :science:

I'm glad you finally got it all figured out and getting a tech out there to look at it was all it took to get everything sorted out.

For as much poo poo as field techs get, they usually beat phone reps who will sit there guessing endlessly at a situation that needs someone onsite to evaluate properly.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

For as much poo poo as field techs get, they usually beat phone reps who will sit there guessing endlessly at a situation that needs someone onsite to evaluate properly.

Verizon is easily the worst about that. I think they just weren't really used to people still having DSL, so dealing with their reps hurt so much.

"Okay, check all your filters."
(There are like seven around the house hidden behind giant furniture, and I know it's not the problem)"Okay, sure. Yeah, they're all fine."
"Now turn your modem off and on." Fine
"Now I'm going to do something that will disconnect the phone line."
"Please don't, I'll have to call back and do the script again."

*Lose all internet and phone*

"Verizon support, please check all your filters and turn your modem on and off."

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Plan Z posted:

I'm amazed that you got them out for an install so quickly.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Well drat. I hadn't and had been away for a day or two. It looks like I'm only getting 1.3mb/s now with it... Figures that soon as I find something that works nicely, and make a recommendation, it ends up failing.

Guess I'll be using that 45 day return window.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Is there anyone out there with anecdotal evidence about getting the best possible wifi speeds/strength with ATT Uverse? I am supposed to have up to 25mbps download speed, but even standing right next to the router, the highest it has tested is 16mbps.

I am new to the wifi hardware/settings game, and could use a starting point.

Pretty much what I know is that I would need an upgraded router that supports 802.11ac.

Is that a setting that I can change on my current ISP provided router/modem?

Thanks

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Do you see a lot of access points from your neighbors' wifi? What kind of wifi settings can you change on the Uverse router? Does it support the 5ghz band?

You won't need AC for only 25mbps, but the problem is likely due to a crowded 2.4ghz band. If you have an Android phone, you can check with something like Wifi Analyzer.
If your neighborhood is anything like mine, 2.4ghz is crowded, and people who don't know any better stray away from channels 1, 6, and 11 and cause overlapping and interference with other signals.

Your best bet may be to try the 5ghz band and see if that helps. I don't know if your Uverse router supports it, but you definitely don't need to spring the extra cash on AC unless you're doing some bandwidth intensive tasks on your local network. You should be aware that 5ghz has less penetration, so it may not reach the far corners of your house as well.

xergm fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

xergm posted:

Do you see a lot of access points from your neighbors' wifi? What kind of wifi settings can you change on the Uverse router? Does it support the 5ghz band?

You won't need AC for only 25mbps, but the problem is likely due to a crowded 2.4ghz band. If you have an Android phone, you can check with something like Wifi Analyzer.
If your neighborhood is anything like mine, 2.4ghz is crowded, and people who don't know any better stray away from channels 1, 6, and 11 and cause overlapping and interference with other signals.

Your best bet may be to try the 5ghz band and see if that helps. I don't know if your Uverse router supports it, but you definitely don't need to spring the extra cash on AC unless you're doing some bandwidth intensive tasks on your local network. You should be aware that 5ghz has less penetration, so it may not reach the far corners of your house as well.

Perfect starting points.

From memory it seems there are maybe eight or so different networks at any given time other than mine. So that may be part of the reason for the speeds.

Thanks!

• Locked thread