Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You should be getting your rated speed with Comcast. If not, start the troubleshooting process with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Das_Ubermike posted:

Anybody here in the Washington D.C. region? I moved into a new apartment last week and signed up for the Comcast 100 mbps internet package and this poo poo is slow as balls. All of my tests through Ookla have returned download/upload speeds of 5-6 mbps or thereabouts. While I wasn't expecting 100 mbps, I figured that 30-45 mbps would be a more realistic figure, so I find this 6 mbps poo poo somewhat appalling.

Any other people in the DMV know if this is par for the course with Comcast in Maryland? FIOS is an option here but they were charging roughly the same price for 50 mbps.

I'm in MD; previously lived in DC.

Comcast is 100% the worst option here.
RCN is reasonable if you're in the city itself.
Fios 100% otherwise. Absolutely the better service.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Walked posted:

I'm in MD; previously lived in DC.

Comcast is 100% the worst option here.
RCN is reasonable if you're in the city itself.
Fios 100% otherwise. Absolutely the better service.

I'm in MoCo, so the only options are Comcast and FIOS. I'll go with the troubleshooting option as suggested above, but it seems like i'll be switching back to FIOS soon enough. Thanks, fellow DMV resident.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm in DC and currently on Comcast paying $112/month (including a TV plan). I get 150/15 or something and it's been surprisingly stable - only a couple outages I can remember in the four years I've had it, and speeds are almost always as advertised, so I can't really complain...but RCN is now offering gigabit for $70/month including TV (though actually more since as far as I can tell, they won't let you bring your own modem yet, and rental is $15/month, and I'd need to upgrade the cable package to get the channels I want :rolleyes:).

Is RCN actually that much better than Comcast? Also, do they offer CableCARD? I can't find anything specific and, of course, they want to rent me a box for $5-15/month, at which point everything adds up to more than I pay Comcast, and only for a limited time.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
So, i'm back again. After about 3 weeks of Comcast with the results from a test on speedtest.net returning an average of about 1.65 mbps download and 6.5 mbps upload, I decided to call Comcast's support line to see if they could unfuck this problem for me. They directed me to try Comcast's very own speedtest utility and low and loving behold, according to Comcast's speed tester (http://speedtest.xfinity.com/), i'm getting my 100 mbps and then some! I called shenanigans to the guy I was on the line with and surprisingly he was actually upset that I would even contemplate that perhaps Comcast's speed testing website may not be on the up and up when it comes to reporting the speeds of Comcast customers.

I don't know much about IT, being in accounting by trade, so which of these two speed testing websites should I trust? It seems a little bizarre that there could be such a huge discrepancy between what speedtest.net is telling me and what the Comcast website is telling me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Das_Ubermike posted:

So, i'm back again. After about 3 weeks of Comcast with the results from a test on speedtest.net returning an average of about 1.65 mbps download and 6.5 mbps upload, I decided to call Comcast's support line to see if they could unfuck this problem for me. They directed me to try Comcast's very own speedtest utility and low and loving behold, according to Comcast's speed tester (http://speedtest.xfinity.com/), i'm getting my 100 mbps and then some! I called shenanigans to the guy I was on the line with and surprisingly he was actually upset that I would even contemplate that perhaps Comcast's speed testing website may not be on the up and up when it comes to reporting the speeds of Comcast customers.

I don't know much about IT, being in accounting by trade, so which of these two speed testing websites should I trust? It seems a little bizarre that there could be such a huge discrepancy between what speedtest.net is telling me and what the Comcast website is telling me.

What happens if you select other servers on speedtest.net besides the first one it assigns you? What sort of speeds do you get while running a torrent or downloading a large file from a website?

Do you get problems when you try to watch Youtube videos at a full 1080p resolution? That would be a fairly reliable indicator that your speeds are truly down below 2 megabit.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I'm looking to upgrade my FiOS connection to 300/300.

It won't let me order without them throwing in a "free quantum gateway".

I truly don't care if they want to toss it in, but I have every intention of continuing to use my Edge Router for my connectivity (the Int is setup for Cat5 not MoCA)

Am I going to have any issues with them somehow enforcing me using their provided gateway?

edit: Gave in and called to push the issue; resolved. 300mbps service with my own equipment now; huzzah

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 1, 2017

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

fishmech posted:

What happens if you select other servers on speedtest.net besides the first one it assigns you? What sort of speeds do you get while running a torrent or downloading a large file from a website?

Do you get problems when you try to watch Youtube videos at a full 1080p resolution? That would be a fairly reliable indicator that your speeds are truly down below 2 megabit.

I actually get pretty decent speeds from all of the servers that aren't Washington D.C., Ashburn, Frederick, Baltimore, and Richmond all returned speeds of 100+ mbps, so I don't know what the hell the deal is.

I got up to 5 mb/s when I downloaded a torrent a few minutes ago. I have a feeling that there's probably nothing actually wrong with my internet, and that this is just a result of my ingrained assumption that Comcast will gently caress its customers in the rear end any chance it has.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Das_Ubermike posted:

I actually get pretty decent speeds from all of the servers that aren't Washington D.C., Ashburn, Frederick, Baltimore, and Richmond all returned speeds of 100+ mbps, so I don't know what the hell the deal is.

I got up to 5 mb/s when I downloaded a torrent a few minutes ago. I have a feeling that there's probably nothing actually wrong with my internet, and that this is just a result of my ingrained assumption that Comcast will gently caress its customers in the rear end any chance it has.

There must be something fucky with the routing then, so you'll probably have issues with random sites that end up being hosted in the same facility as the speed test servers that are abnormally slow. Nothing you can really do about that though.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Das_Ubermike posted:

If you get good speeds from a bunch of different speed test servers but not from some other speed test servers, there is probably nothing wrong with the connection to your home or any part of Comcast's network that lies close to your home. As mentioned it is probably a routing issue, which you can do nothing about but will generally be resolved over time anyway

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Verizon seems to already be throttling Youtube (again). Everything's starting at the lowest resolution and buffers/crawls at 720p+.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 7, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Verizon seems to already be throttling Youtube (again). Everything's starting at the lowest resolution and buffers/crawls at 720p+.

Set up a SSH proxy in the cloud and route youtube through that, see if things change. They're a pretty easy way to get around specific throttling, or to force a re-route to not use the stupidly congested interlink.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Set up a SSH proxy in my butt...

C2B keeps delivering

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

C2B keeps delivering

I have that on chrome, and yes, reading marketing copy on LinkedIn is always amazing. The Millennials to Lizard people one is also great.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I get this on my home 1Gbps fiber connection too. However my ISP is not responsible. It is because their primary backbone connection to the internet at large is through Level 3, and it seems that things always get hung up at Level 3's Chicago hop. If I enable my IPv6 tunnel through HE.net, the problem goes away.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Just got set up in a new place with gigabit, it's a nice change from rural ADSL2.

For reference

That was after it rained though, it typically stuck to around 8 down and .8 up

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

BurritoJustice posted:

Just got set up in a new place with gigabit, it's a nice change from rural ADSL2.

For reference

That was after it rained though, it typically stuck to around 8 down and .8 up

I'm moving from a rural house to an apartment in a month and cannot wait to get real internet. Right now I have to use my phone for pretty much everything, thank god I still have unlimited data.

What's the best way to see what internet providers are available at my new place? Broadbandmap has data that's 3 years old and I think there are probably other options than what it lists.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Suprfli6 posted:

I'm moving from a rural house to an apartment in a month and cannot wait to get real internet. Right now I have to use my phone for pretty much everything, thank god I still have unlimited data.

What's the best way to see what internet providers are available at my new place? Broadbandmap has data that's 3 years old and I think there are probably other options than what it lists.

Well there's probably gonna be the local telco offering lovely DSL that isn't worth it, and than whoever the local cable provider is with the only real choice. There'll also be 4 or 5 alternate DSL providers, but they'll offer all about the same prices and slow speeds as the actual local telco, making them pointless.

The only wild card would be if there's a fiber ISP available, but your apartment management would probably let you know if that's available, since that's a major selling point. So basically just call the landlord and ask who provides phones and who provides cable at the building.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have att gigabit service atm (almost always 900+ ^, 700+v with the occasional streaming slap fight), but looking at the 'change plans' page says there is a 100/100 for like 10-20 bucks a month cheaper, as well as (and this is a definite 'huh???' thing for me) ~40-50 mbps plan that had a listed price of '$0'. I'd've just switched to it for the heck of it because while a bit lower than id like, 40-50 would still be enough! However my current 1gbps plan had a line that denoted it was a grandfathered plan (maybe price?) so I didn't want to risk it. Still, free internet would be amazing and save me $70+ a month.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lies CenturyLink told me: "I have (1.5mbps) and four kids. They stream and play online games just fine."

It's a small town, I'm definitely not moving there knowing it's that or horribly unreliable line of sight.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Getting the 300Mb/s speed for the price of the 50 because they screwed up the initial installation is pretty great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love my Sonic.net gigabit but the monthly bill is always different. Sometimes it's $60 something and recently it was $73 then went back down to the $60s again. Why can't they just bill the same amount every month like cell phones?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm moving to Lansing, Michigan next month and hooking up with Comcast's triple play service (150mbps tier). Planning on getting my own modem but I'm juggling two possibilities.

One is the ARRIS SVG2482AC, which looks like it just got recently "officially" added to Comcast's support list. However it costs just as much as renting a modem for two years and the integrated wi-fi signal from what I've read isn't the most robust.

The other option is picking up a cable/voice modem like an ARRIS TM822R and pairing it with a TP-Link AC1200 router. At least that way the modem starts paying for itself in a reasonable amount of time and the wi-fi should work better on its own.

Thoughts?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Keep the modem separate from the router/Wi-Fi. You're likely to swap the router out for newer Wi-Fi or other features or whatever more often than you need a new modem.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AC1200 on Gigabit WAN.

Weren't experts predicting a decade ago the Internet would be dead by lack of bandwidth supply by now? :smug:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
The area my work is in only offers lovely ISP business packages for the time being. I'm looking for suggestions of what you use for the fastest possible upload and download solutions for large files. Maybe something that uses UDP that might squeeze out a bit more speed that what we can normally get.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

The area my work is in only offers lovely ISP business packages for the time being.....

Our local fiber provider does this too... Residential customers get 1000/500 for $100 per month. (and it regularly achieves 1000Mbps, I know because I have it). But charges business customers 3 times as much for a partly 50/10.

Their reasoning is that businesses are likely to actually use a lot more data... Except that I don't think that is the case anymore. At home I regularly have well over 500GB in usage per month due to the sheer amount of streaming. While our office and branch locations with your typical office usage such as windows updates, email attachments, etc.. are lucky to use 50GB in a month.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

stevewm posted:

Our local fiber provider does this too... Residential customers get 1000/500 for $100 per month. (and it regularly achieves 1000Mbps, I know because I have it). But charges business customers 3 times as much for a partly 50/10.

Their reasoning is that businesses are likely to actually use a lot more data... Except that I don't think that is the case anymore. At home I regularly have well over 500GB in usage per month due to the sheer amount of streaming. While our office and branch locations with your typical office usage such as windows updates, email attachments, etc.. are lucky to use 50GB in a month.

Generally speaking, not sure about your specific example, is that the business line will have a much better SLA, better support, etc. And thus the higher price. The lovely part though is that ISPs won't sell residential service to business customers, so it's pretty much just a price gouge.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Generally speaking, not sure about your specific example, is that the business line will have a much better SLA, better support, etc. And thus the higher price. The lovely part though is that ISPs won't sell residential service to business customers, so it's pretty much just a price gouge.

In this case, the support is exactly the same, and there is no SLA. I think it is mostly "hey it's a business, we can charge them more and they will have to pay it!"

And as far as support goes. Not all ISPs seem to treat business or residential customers differently. At least Comcast, Frontier, and ATT don't seem to. Even though you pick "business customer" in their phone tree, the support reps are just as clueless as ever.

Edit: As you can tell, I don't care much for telecom companies. I deal with 9 different companies between our branch locations, and they honestly all have poo poo support. The big national telecoms (Comcast, Frontier, ATT) though are generally far worse than the locals. But the local's pricing tends to be higher.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 26, 2017

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I found out today that my Comcast residential plan has a 1TB monthly data limit.

Because I hit it :toot:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Actuarial Fables posted:

I found out today that my Comcast residential plan has a 1TB monthly data limit.

Because I hit it :toot:

I am getting close this month.

I believe you get 3 months of free overage every year.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My FIOS contract has been done for years, so I went on the FIOS site and made some changes. Ended up shaving off $40/mo and went from 100/100 to 150/150.

Weirdly it had an on-site installation included. I just got an upgraded router last month. Turns out the new change was connecting the router to the big FIOS panel in my basement directly via cat6 instead of using the coax run.

My laptop over wifi pulled a slightly higher download, but this speed test from my backyard is close enough.

I got a Speedtest beta site on my computer which used a meter that went to 150 but in that instance is maxed it out at 154.

Not bad and there are at least three options above this in my area, but the price is tough to justify.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Moey posted:

I am getting close this month.

I believe you get 3 months of free overage every year.

2 months of freebies, then after that it's overage. :-/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SLOSifl posted:

My FIOS contract has been done for years, so I went on the FIOS site and made some changes. Ended up shaving off $40/mo and went from 100/100 to 150/150.

Weirdly it had an on-site installation included. I just got an upgraded router last month. Turns out the new change was connecting the router to the big FIOS panel in my basement directly via cat6 instead of using the coax run.

My laptop over wifi pulled a slightly higher download, but this speed test from my backyard is close enough.

I got a Speedtest beta site on my computer which used a meter that went to 150 but in that instance is maxed it out at 154.

Not bad and there are at least three options above this in my area, but the price is tough to justify.

Be sure to check your bill. I went with 100/100 because 150/150 required the same CAT 6 drop which was going to cost me $150 over three monthly installments of $50.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Why the gently caress can't Charter Spectrum ever offer more than 5mbs upload? Its been that way for over 10 years.

Also my download is 300mbs, well, I never loving get it, it hovers around 210-220mbs and when I complain, they say "everything is fine, we only guarantee 70 percent of your speed" blah blah. They have sent techs over and they also say everything is fine. EVERYTHING IS FINE DUDE JUST STOP BOTHERING US OK??!?

It's very obvious they limit it on purpose.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Why the gently caress can't Charter Spectrum ever offer more than 5mbs upload? Its been that way for over 10 years.

Haha yeah, the two options for internet in the area that I just moved into are Spectrum and Verizon FIOS. It's not even a contest between the two when the Spectrum upload tops out at like 5-10Mbps.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finally got my PC's wifi working. Took me a day to realize the PCIe adapter I'm using doesn't support the higher 5GHz channels. :downs:

Last year we were stuck on U-Verse at around 25Mb/s. I hate Spectrum's upload speed but at least now we're not having any issues with streaming, and there's no monthly cap. I would have gone with AT&T Fiber, but I guess they don't feel a pressing need to bring the service to the local area, even though there's a bunch of homes/businesses here that would benefit and there's a goddamned AT&T hub building literally right next door.

After the U-Verse retentions guy pitched his 20 offers to get me to try to stay, I flat-out told him "If you get your fiber service up and running here I will switch over immediately. That's the only thing that will get me back to AT&T."

Our new apartment complex is apparently trying to work out a deal with Google Fiber. Fingers loving crossed.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 10, 2017

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
So Verizon Fios is offering almost gigabit internet to areas on the east coast. The offer that they are advertising seems to be directed to new customers only. I'm going to try to get mine upgraded since I'm in the area they cover.

https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-gigabit-connection/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You know whats great, when you buy Comcast BUSINESS 50/10 connection and can't even play one youtube 1080P stream around 7-8PM at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Is there any reputable site out there that lets you search an address to see what services are available, rather than going to each provider's site and doing it one by one? It would be good to know for the next time we move.

Whitest Russian posted:

So Verizon Fios is offering almost gigabit internet to areas on the east coast. The offer that they are advertising seems to be directed to new customers only. I'm going to try to get mine upgraded since I'm in the area they cover.

https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-gigabit-connection/

Nice to know that they can use the term "gigabit" and not actually give gigabit speeds, but okay!

Not trying to trash it; those are impressive speeds given the state of US internet. I just don't like weasel-wording.

• Locked thread