Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ful posted:

Does anyone know if satellite is worth shelling out for?

Siochain posted:

No. I've never seen a decent satellite connection - at best same'ish download, maybe better upload, but 200+ms ping.
Satellite is poo poo.

Here is Exede at my parent's house (formerly Wildblue). It was 9 / 6 when it got installed. I also have a dell tech remoted in right now.

our monthly cap is 10GB a month for I think $50 a month (unlimited bandwidth between 12 and 5)? There are higher caps available (not really higher)

Windstream is supposed to bring 6 meg DSL here this year. They built a new substation at the end of our road last year. It literally is powered up. But they won't offer it yet, and won't tell us when they plan to.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason an ISP would start building a dsl substation in 2013, supposedly finish it late 2013 (they had people finishing inspection and poo poo in october), and then never touch it, turn it on or let any local tech know when it is going to turn on through today? I doubt there is going to be anyone else moving into the area any time soon, and googling it immediately led me to a broadband reports forum posts from 2 days ago, regarding the same situation with the same ISP (windstream). My idiot brothers managed to obliterate our monthly satellite data cap within the first ten days, and I just look at that loving substation every day and shake my fist angrily.

• Locked thread