Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finally got my PC's wifi working. Took me a day to realize the PCIe adapter I'm using doesn't support the higher 5GHz channels. :downs:

Last year we were stuck on U-Verse at around 25Mb/s. I hate Spectrum's upload speed but at least now we're not having any issues with streaming, and there's no monthly cap. I would have gone with AT&T Fiber, but I guess they don't feel a pressing need to bring the service to the local area, even though there's a bunch of homes/businesses here that would benefit and there's a goddamned AT&T hub building literally right next door.

After the U-Verse retentions guy pitched his 20 offers to get me to try to stay, I flat-out told him "If you get your fiber service up and running here I will switch over immediately. That's the only thing that will get me back to AT&T."

Our new apartment complex is apparently trying to work out a deal with Google Fiber. Fingers loving crossed.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Is there any reputable site out there that lets you search an address to see what services are available, rather than going to each provider's site and doing it one by one? It would be good to know for the next time we move.

Whitest Russian posted:

So Verizon Fios is offering almost gigabit internet to areas on the east coast. The offer that they are advertising seems to be directed to new customers only. I'm going to try to get mine upgraded since I'm in the area they cover.

https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-gigabit-connection/

Nice to know that they can use the term "gigabit" and not actually give gigabit speeds, but okay!

Not trying to trash it; those are impressive speeds given the state of US internet. I just don't like weasel-wording.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Charter/Spectrum's been pretty good to us but it's almost time to say goodbye. We're moving to NJ and we signed up for Optimum (formerly Cablevision). We're pretty stoked; we grew up on Cablevision. We're expecting faster speeds and at least $20 less per month compared to what we're paying now.

News 12 New Jersey :getin:

• Locked thread