Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

take the red pill posted:

$90 for cable tv (no premium channels like hbo) and internet. Am I overpaying? (East Coast USA)

Yes.

€65 for HD television, extra channels, DVR, telephony and this internet. If we felt like it we could get our contract changed to 200/10 mbit for the same price, but then we'd need to invest in gigabit switches for our network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Why is the upload so pedestrian?

As far as I know it is pretty common here in Europe to have high download speeds and moderate upload speeds.
The ISPs explain it by saying that the actual network bandwidth is limited and people prefer download speeds over upload speeds, so they shift the balance.

And let's be real here, normal internet usage is mainly a downstream affair and you don't need to be able to upload at 100 mbit. And if you want to stream your mad laning carry or whatever it is in DOTA to Twitch.tv in HD you still don't need more than 3 mbit if you're doing it right.

So I'm guessing that that company is just being smart and not spending money on upload capacity they won't use.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay, thanks a ton.

EDIT: where do I look up my IP address? :sweatdrop:

Open the command prompt like described above, but then type ipconfig and look for the line that says 'Default Gateway'. That'll be the IP of your router.

• Locked thread