Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Possibly a silly question, but once you get into gigabit speeds is it a bad idea to download things to your mechanical HDD instead of a temporary folder on an SSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've got 16GB so no issues there. What I'm worried about is the WD Green drive I use for main data. I've got a Red that's backup-only right now but I could stick my incoming downloads there and move them back if I needed to. The SSD is only 480GB with ~180GB free so that's not ideal.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 1, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has anyone had issues with their Netgear R7000 maxing out at ~500Mbps when doing PPPoE? I know its WAN-to-LAN is rated in the high 900's but after many hours of swearing into my patch panel today I confirmed it's turning my 940/100 connection into 500/120.

I wouldn't have much of an issue turning it into a $300 wireless AP and letting the Bell Homehub do the routing, but all-in-one devices with remote management capabilities that can see my LAN freak me out. If a flaw was ever found it's one hop to all my 24/7 connected devices for someone who wants to go war dialing.

Does anything in the consumer space do gigabit PPPoE?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks - that same router just got mentioned in the Canadian thread so it looks like my wiring closet is about to get even weirder.

• Locked thread