Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

wolrah posted:

Welcome to the world of satellite communication. Most consumer satellite networks are in geostationary orbit because it allows a stationary dish rather than requiring expensive tracking and positioning equipment to constantly re-point the dish. Geostationary orbit for this planet is 22,236 miles above the equator. If you recall your high school physics class, the speed of light is 186,282 miles per second.

ViaSat's new Ka-band service is really badass, by the way. The only systems I have access to that use it are classified, but suffice to say they've got to be using crazy LEO birds to get the pings they get. There's not that big of a difference between a bad day on CenturyLink DSL and a good day on ViaSat. Disclaimer it's a FFP/O government contract with absolutely unrealistic SLAs so I'm sure everything on the path is dedicated.

One of my former PMs is at a South American company that's doing some hot-poo poo enterprise grade satcom stuff too, things like onsite caching servers with completely OOB updating. Between that and the monster bandwidth available once the full Ka spectrum is opened up, an average consumer really wouldn't notice a difference outside of gaming and Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread