Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Thermopyle posted:

This isn't exactly gigabit speeds, but Charter recently upgraded me, at no extra cost, to 130/4. They've been really good about upgrading my internet speeds. Several years ago I was paying ~$50/month for 30/3, then they upgraded me to 60/3, then 100/4, then 130/4...all without increasing my cost other than the like $1/month they add once a year.

I've also been very happy with speed consistency...it never dips below advertised speeds. Also pretty reliable. Maybe 1 short outage a year.

Here in the US, I expect my cable ISP to be poo poo, but Charter has actually been very good and it's so confusing!

I really wish they'd bump up this anemic upload, though.
Man I'm jealous. You're getting the opposite of what I've had the last few years. My ISP, Shaw (western Canada) keeps increasing prices at least once per year - TWICE so far this year. And not tiny insignificant increases, like $10/month increases. Meanwhile last time they changed their packages they LOWERED the speed at every tier. Meanwhile here in Winnipeg there is only one competing ISP and they are anywhere from slightly better to much worse, depends which neighbourhood you live in as to what they can offer you and whether it will actually work well. Bla bla bla whining and moaning ISPs suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Das_Ubermike posted:

I actually get pretty decent speeds from all of the servers that aren't Washington D.C., Ashburn, Frederick, Baltimore, and Richmond all returned speeds of 100+ mbps, so I don't know what the hell the deal is.

I got up to 5 mb/s when I downloaded a torrent a few minutes ago. I have a feeling that there's probably nothing actually wrong with my internet, and that this is just a result of my ingrained assumption that Comcast will gently caress its customers in the rear end any chance it has.
If you get good speeds from a bunch of different speed test servers but not from some other speed test servers, there is probably nothing wrong with the connection to your home or any part of Comcast's network that lies close to your home. As mentioned it is probably a routing issue, which you can do nothing about but will generally be resolved over time anyway

• Locked thread