Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevewm
May 10, 2005
When I was looking to buy a house my #2 requirement (#1 was no HOAs!) was that it had access to decent internet access.

After 7 years of lovely Verizon "3G" that was barely faster than dialup and limited to 20GB I was determined to not get stuck in the same situation again.

I got incredibly lucky in my search.. Brand new house in a small quiet rural town (population 300) only 4 miles from work with Fiber optic from a local independent provider (http://www.etczone.com/). Said town is located right between 2 larger cities that this provider serves. Their backbone just happens to run along the major interstate connecting these cities and they provide fiber optic service to all the communities along the route. :)

20/10, IPTV, and phone for $79 USD per month. No data limits. They do offer 100/40, but its about $40 extra...

Speed test wise I always get bang on 20/10 with a less than 10ms ping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Caged posted:

That sounds expensive. Or is it about right for the US?

For my area of the US that is pretty much in line... Around my area there are 2 choices for ISP.. Frontier with their horribly oversold DSL service that rarely achieves 2Mbps (for $39.99), or the local provider that offers Fiber.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Der Meister posted:

And now it turns out they are selling California FiOS to Frontier!

You have my condolences...

Be prepared for even more slowdown. Frontier's network is pretty awful in my experience. I deal with multiple branch locations at work, some of which unfortunately have Frontier DSL. The only time any of them are able to achieve anywhere near their rated speed is around 1-3AM. During the day we are lucky to see 3Mbps on our "12Mbps" connections. Occasionally we have drops to sub-1Mbps for good portions of the day. Their network is obviously overloaded. And Frontier couldn't care less about fixing it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My local fiber ISP just started offering 1G/500M speeds... http://www.etczone.com/internetPlans.asp Ouch on the pricing though. $146 USD per month.

I already pay $86 for 40/20.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yay, my local fiber ISP started offering 1000Mbps/500Mbps, so I took the plunge.

Download is a little "low". I think I am maxing out my router....

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well it looks like I'm not maxing out my router.. Depending on the time of day the max speed varies from 820 to 950+.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So in short, they're penalizing their oldest customers who've been with them the longest and paid them the most.

So just like every other telecom company then?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Going a bit "slow" tonight. It is peak time though. Very early in the morning I can actually get 980/500. This is my ISPs own speedtest. speedtest.net seems to max out around 350Mbps right now for me. Though I can pull 100MB/sec off Steam/Battle.net right now just fine. The internet is strange...

$100 per month, 1000/500 fiber..

stevewm
May 10, 2005

jeeves posted:

Again, I am curious what your computer setup is. A gaming PC? A Mac Pro?

I need to start cataloging machines that can actually hit a real-world max speed on gigabit for work.

Just about every cheap desktop I have at work can hit gigabit speeds no problem. I've not saw any one in years that couldn't. The bottle neck has always been the hard drive for data transfers.

Have a bunch of random Lenovo desktops, mostly M73/M93 Tinys, these will all hit 115-120MB/sec easy. (SSDs) (920-960Mbps). Various Dell machines. Some have Intel network, some realtek.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Verizon seems to already be throttling Youtube (again). Everything's starting at the lowest resolution and buffers/crawls at 720p+.

I get this on my home 1Gbps fiber connection too. However my ISP is not responsible. It is because their primary backbone connection to the internet at large is through Level 3, and it seems that things always get hung up at Level 3's Chicago hop. If I enable my IPv6 tunnel through HE.net, the problem goes away.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

The area my work is in only offers lovely ISP business packages for the time being.....

Our local fiber provider does this too... Residential customers get 1000/500 for $100 per month. (and it regularly achieves 1000Mbps, I know because I have it). But charges business customers 3 times as much for a partly 50/10.

Their reasoning is that businesses are likely to actually use a lot more data... Except that I don't think that is the case anymore. At home I regularly have well over 500GB in usage per month due to the sheer amount of streaming. While our office and branch locations with your typical office usage such as windows updates, email attachments, etc.. are lucky to use 50GB in a month.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Generally speaking, not sure about your specific example, is that the business line will have a much better SLA, better support, etc. And thus the higher price. The lovely part though is that ISPs won't sell residential service to business customers, so it's pretty much just a price gouge.

In this case, the support is exactly the same, and there is no SLA. I think it is mostly "hey it's a business, we can charge them more and they will have to pay it!"

And as far as support goes. Not all ISPs seem to treat business or residential customers differently. At least Comcast, Frontier, and ATT don't seem to. Even though you pick "business customer" in their phone tree, the support reps are just as clueless as ever.

Edit: As you can tell, I don't care much for telecom companies. I deal with 9 different companies between our branch locations, and they honestly all have poo poo support. The big national telecoms (Comcast, Frontier, ATT) though are generally far worse than the locals. But the local's pricing tends to be higher.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 26, 2017

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

My best from steam is 115MB/sec.

Isn't gigabit internet great? It made me run Ethernet all over the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Good question. Probably, since it’s a fresh install on my wife’s machine. Should figure out what the good DNS servers are now.

Can't go wrong with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's public DNS servers)

• Locked thread