Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Note to Time Warner Cable: You can only play the "let's gently caress with this guy's rate several times a year" game so much until you finally reach a point where the dsl competitor is the same price.

Just got done ordering my new DSL line. loving TWC jacked my rate FOUR TIMES in the last twelve months without so much as a day's notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What's wrong with DSL? It's the same speed I had with TWC (actually will be quite a bit faster in practice). Ping will almost certainly improve as well.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

wolrah posted:

DSL being anywhere close in speed to cable in the US means it's either some of the best DSL out there or the worst cable. In most areas the fastest DSL offered officially matches a low-to-mid tier of cable, but DSL has never once in my experience (around 50 locations across at least a half dozen carriers) provided the rated speed where cable generally does.

I'm getting 18mb for DSL and the cable was 15 (bumping to 20 soon I believe). The 2mb difference might as well not even exist because cable at least in my area is always slower than advertised. I'm running some server stuff on it so I might end up bumping it to the 24mb plan. I'm 1500 feet from the actual CO (wire length) so I should have pretty solid service.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Getting my DSL installed currently, are there any things I can do to optimize for ping? I don't care how much throughput I have to trade. My LAN is gigabit with a iptables router and I'm getting service run to the pole and a brand new line run from the pole to my house. Anything else I can do to minimize latency?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Super duper helpful, exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
EDIT: NM figured this shiz out.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 23, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just configured Unbound for DNS caching on my local network. Holy poo poo! Highly recommended!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Shorewall/iptables. Shorewall kicks rear end, you can setup regular NAT/port forwarding in like ten minutes. I just switched ISPs and added 5 static addresses and it took all of 15 minutes to setup. In fact, I didn't even have to make any changes to the Shorewall config at all, just had to use the same NIC.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Built into iptables? Uhh no.

It can be setup easily to cache locally. It seems pretty fast to me, certainly browsing is improved.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Holy poo poo AT&T DSL is awful. I usually would expect at least a couple nines from a business class connection. I'm right at 50% uptime.

I had a supervisor tell me that they don't have any monitoring or logging in place on any of their DSL equipment :laugh:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sigh. ATT DSL is so bad I'm being forced back to Time Warner. I had six consecutive days out outages starting on the day of the install, and their techs no-call/no-showed three times.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So after terminating my DSL contract AT&T (I'm not their customer btw, it was a dry loop) has been calling me like a drunken abuser. They called at 1am last night and then again early this morning. When I answered the phone some lady started rambling incoherently at me, not even forming sentences and I ended up just having to hang up. What the gently caress is going on at ATT?

What's idiotic is that I had contacted them during an outage and they straight up refused to dispatch a tech without me agreeing to a billable visit. So since they straight up refused to provide service, what reason would they even have for calling me? I terminated the contract with my ISP yesterday, there's literally no reason they have to be calling me, especially since they refused service to begin with.

This keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Oh, btw TWC residential had a rep out to my house and got me online within 3 hours. ATT business support couldn't even be arsed to show up. What's funny is that my company is being courted by ATT for a t3 or something and my coworkers relayed my complaints to their account executive and she just vanished.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 30, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I just found out that there's a live metro fiber line running two blocks past my house. Apparently they offer 10-10,000 mbits and prices are 500-2000. Maybe in a few years those prices will drop far enough to justify getting a run.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I haven't paid too much attention to that but there is actually evidence that they're throttling Netflix right?

A lot of these guys aren't actively throttling connections with their network management hardware, it's more that they're allowing peering links to saturate and then refusing to add more. It's a relatively cheap process that literally defines what their customers are paying for. In the end it's no different than if they were throttling. It's like when that mayor in Jersey or whatever shut a bunch of lanes down for no reason as some sort of childish political power play. Except this is about profits.

The simple fact is that last-mile ISP's will never really be at 'parity' with their peering arrangements. How could they? They limit customer upstream connections drastically in comparison to downstream. And of course, it's consumers buying these connections and they want to consume content with them. Unfortunately the last-mile providers have a ton of leverage in this space and a ton of lobbying dollars to throw at this problem. Net neutrality legislation would scarcely have an effect in this regard, it would simply make it easier for them to do what they're already doing.

What we NEED is publicly-owned fiber going to every house in America. Run the fiber to local network clearinghouses and let providers compete to provide the actual connectivity using something similar to the ACA exchanges. You could even switch ISP's while sitting at your computer. The cost/benefit of an initiative like this is enormous and it's the only way we'll outpace other first and second-world countries in Internet connectivity.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is there a reason an ISP would start building a dsl substation in 2013, supposedly finish it late 2013 (they had people finishing inspection and poo poo in october), and then never touch it, turn it on or let any local tech know when it is going to turn on through today? I doubt there is going to be anyone else moving into the area any time soon, and googling it immediately led me to a broadband reports forum posts from 2 days ago, regarding the same situation with the same ISP (windstream). My idiot brothers managed to obliterate our monthly satellite data cap within the first ten days, and I just look at that loving substation every day and shake my fist angrily.

Call around to business DSL ISP's. Often they can push a carrier to wire you up provided there's a revenue commitment. No guarantees but it's worth a shot.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
BTW has anybody noticed lately that torrents run full blast basically forever now? Must be a side effect of all the new fiber subscribers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

thebigcow posted:

Go across the street and meet your fios neighbors. Buy whatever routers and point to point wireless gear you need for your new best friend.

This is probably the best bet. Buy a Buffalo router or something where you can set limits and share the connection out. Offer to pay half/all their bill and provide the equipment.

• Locked thread