Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Eighties ZomCom posted:

So I'm trying this out again because of the Return campaign on atm. I already had it installed but it's an old version, like up to ToAU. I downloaded the new playonline viewer and installed that. It's now trying to download 35k+ files, so I thought I'd try running the FFXI installer that came with the viewer because it may already have those files. But it came up with an error about some cab file and it wouldn't go any further so I cancelled the install. So should I just let it download the files and hope it's done by sometime today, or do I unistall FFXI and try installing it from the new installer and hope that it works and is a faster process overall?

They're managed to pull some voodoo to update the PlayOnline launcher so that the full download should only take about 20 minutes rather than a full 6+ hours like it used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

They're managed to pull some voodoo to update the PlayOnline launcher so that the full download should only take about 20 minutes rather than a full 6+ hours like it used to.

I'm trying a fresh reinstall atm. And just got the same error message about data1.cab being corrupt and stopping the installation. I guess I will have to track this file down and manually delete it.
edit: Seems like this file is part of the installer, so I guess I'll have to redownload the installer.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 27, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Here's a discord link for new/returning friends: https://discord.gg/z8VhxtCP

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I'm trying a fresh reinstall atm. And just got the same error message about data1.cab being corrupt and stopping the installation. I guess I will have to track this file down and manually delete it.
edit: Seems like this file is part of the installer, so I guess I'll have to redownload the installer.

This sounds silly, but make sure you get all the parts for it, it's split like a bunch of ZIP/RAR files.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Bland posted:

Could I get an invite to the discord server? I just started playing again for the first time since like 2008 and getting stuck on seemingly one of the few missions that can't be soloed (Windurst 3-2) made me realise I should probably start acknowledging that this game isn't a single player RPG.

https://discord.gg/MJ7m5qMUKA

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it’s absurd how great this game looks when you do the graphics things. I installed a texture mod that was only like 600MB and, along with Windower optimizations and setting the frame rate to 60, this PS2 video game is stupid pretty.

Shame about how the giant white structures look. Just mounds of birdshit and there’s nothing you can do about it.

As strange as it seems, I’d like to reset a job level. I assume there’s no way to do so?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

This sounds silly, but make sure you get all the parts for it, it's split like a bunch of ZIP/RAR files.

I got it work after downloading it again. I think I may have corrupted it by trying to use winrar to extract the files when the extractor program didn't respond initially but then it did and it caused a conflict.
I played a bit of it yesterday on my character in Bahamut that I haven't touched in 10+ years, and had no idea what to do lol. I was in kazham and at level 26 so I guess I was supposed to do something there. I ended up accepting a quest to deliver a chocobo and then died once it was delivered because the surrounding area was full of incredibly tough monsters.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 28, 2021

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Edit: wrong thread

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

I think it’s absurd how great this game looks when you do the graphics things. I installed a texture mod that was only like 600MB and, along with Windower optimizations and setting the frame rate to 60, this PS2 video game is stupid pretty.

Shame about how the giant white structures look. Just mounds of birdshit and there’s nothing you can do about it.

As strange as it seems, I’d like to reset a job level. I assume there’s no way to do so?

What texture mod did you use?

I've been using vanilla and it still looks really good. There is definitely an aesthetic.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SerCypher posted:

What texture mod did you use?

I've been using vanilla and it still looks really good. There is definitely an aesthetic.

e: It's called "Amelia's Overhaul" or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbpXFtMYn00

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EI2VZ5KH28zCKhbN04gg7McBPQdRr2mm/view

It's in this google drive and it's updated semi-frequently.

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 2, 2021

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
just as a heads up though xipivot can make your game a lot more unstable and in some places has basically guaranteed crashes for me (domain invasion is a big one)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hivac posted:

just as a heads up though xipivot can make your game a lot more unstable and in some places has basically guaranteed crashes for me (domain invasion is a big one)

This tends to be the fault of the texture pack in my experience, not xipivot itself. If a texture pack has a missing or improperly formatted texture it can cause a crash - this happens in di because there's lots of people doing lots of things, so if some random obscure buff has a broken texture it'll cause a crash

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

This tends to be the fault of the texture pack in my experience, not xipivot itself. If a texture pack has a missing or improperly formatted texture it can cause a crash - this happens in di because there's lots of people doing lots of things, so if some random obscure buff has a broken texture it'll cause a crash

I might skip it then, last time I tried to install an HD pack it broke my game and killed all my macros.

Also did the Airship Fight!

Obviously it was a cakewalk, but it looked cool. Kind of wishing it had a ffxiv fight budget because it would look rad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love the old fights because if you do them as an appropriate level it's clearly still very challenging. I fought the Dark Lord or whatever and it was pretty dang challenging.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Airship fight before they removed xp loss and when it was level capped made more people rage quit than any other. Good times.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

going into 6-4 with my static back in 2005 or whatever and having it be hyped up as a super hard fight then easily one shotting it because our group comp kind of trivialized what made it hard is one of my funniest memories of this drat game

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I went 1/14 because our static was 5 people and a PUG world always do something stupid. I remember one guy deciding that the middle of the fight was a perfectly good time to afk and not say anything.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mayakov has uh, not aged well.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes he definitely has not. I've made my way through about 3/4 of WoTG and I cringe everytime I see his text stream across my screen.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

kirbysuperstar posted:

That’th prepothterouth!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
this game's art style is shockingly powerful for how old it is

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

star eater posted:

this game's art style is shockingly powerful for how old it is

Seriously.

I made it to Al'Taieu last night and I was taken a back for a moment how cool it looked. Didn't expect to get dumped there after a cutscene.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I still enjoy the ru'hmet theme

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah even with old textures the game looks really good. They just did a phenomenal job with the aesthetic of the game. I played ff14 pre-heavensward and a lot of the areas felt bland and forgettable by comparison, despite traditionally much better.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

SerCypher posted:

I made it to Al'Taieu last night and I was taken a back for a moment how cool it looked. Didn't expect to get dumped there after a cutscene.

I'm not even sure there's actually anything like Al'Taieu in the rest of Final Fantasy, honestly. It's just so uniquely loving alien I get a little annoyed whenever I see its monster models pop up in 14.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
i do like al'taieu a lot but it reminds me just a bit too much of namek to completely take seriously

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hivac posted:

i do like al'taieu a lot but it reminds me just a bit too much of namek to completely take seriously

Well now I can't unsee that..

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I still remember, nearly 17(?) years later the first time of going into Tu'Lia. First with that awesome (at the time) light up floor and later the coolness of the little garden world floating in the sky.

Oh yeah and nearly forgot having to collect some special key at like, midnight of the full moon or some such just to get in. Because of course.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 5, 2021

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Transferred my newer character over to Asura. I'm assuming we no longer have a linkshell anymore. Going thru the WoTG mission right now and although I'm enjoy the storylines so far, holy mother of gently caress are they tedious as gently caress. I can see why a lot of people didn't enjoy these on top of them being released in chunks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kithyen posted:

Transferred my newer character over to Asura. I'm assuming we no longer have a linkshell anymore. Going thru the WoTG mission right now and although I'm enjoy the storylines so far, holy mother of gently caress are they tedious as gently caress. I can see why a lot of people didn't enjoy these on top of them being released in chunks.
we do have one but it's dead a.f. - the discord on the other hand is hopping!

also re: sea being the most gorgeous, they released animated Zoom meeting backgrounds and one of them is al'taieu and it's gorgeous, if it wouldn't out me as a nerd I'd be there in a heartbeat

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Treasures of Aht Urghan finished. I decided I wanted to finish it off after doing the bits I needed for RoV as a sidetrack, and I'm glad I did. I legit quite liked the story. Also Naja is basically catgirl JJJ, which means she owns.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

RoZ, CoP, and ToAU all have legit good stories. Then came WotG... I think I’m on the mission where you run around Beaucedine playing mini games with 14 different Cait Siths, you know, for reasons.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Bregor posted:

RoZ, CoP, and ToAU all have legit good stories. Then came WotG... I think I’m on the mission where you run around Beaucedine playing mini games with 14 different Cait Siths, you know, for reasons.

Before release: "Oh cool, we'll be able to play through the story of the crystal wars! That's going to be awesome!"

Months after release: "are they ever going to release any content beyond loving around with a dance troupe and a stupid cat"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Overall I like WotG's story, but the moment-to-moment parts are often excruciating.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It was hard to follow WotG since it took literally three years for them to finish the storyline

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dinged my first 99, and I've now got a billion things I want to do.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Ibblebibble posted:

Congrats on passing the tutorial. Now the actual game starts.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

:hf:

Just in time for the update tomorrow. Hope you did all your monthly RoE stuff! :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bregor posted:

:hf:

Just in time for the update tomorrow. Hope you did all your monthly RoE stuff! :v:

Do they reset or something? I've done the gobbiebox one but none of the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ibblebibble posted:

Do they reset or something? I've done the gobbiebox one but none of the rest.

They do. If you ant handle all of them yet don't sweat it, or ask on discord for help. There are some very good (and unique) rewards locked behind the monthly RoE quests that can take a WHILE to unlock. You'll eventually regret not making them a top priority.