Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Minimaul posted:

This is actually the only game coming out for either console that I want to play.
Same here.
I'm starting to save up for a Thrustmaster TX wheel now. If I'm lucky and they're available, I'll have one sometime in February or so (I need a stand, too). To be honest, the Mad Catz wheel looks like a serious effort as well, though I never thought I'd see myself saying such a thing about one of their products. I have always thought their reputation was bargain basement and deservedly so. I'm willing to be open-minded.

As proof of that, I have an XBone and a FM5 LE on pre-order (fingers crossed I don't get screwed out of either) and I've learned one lesson from FM3 and 4: I already buy all the DLC, so I will be buying the Car Pass to save some money.

Any other early-adopters (haha, we're suckers), if you don't know me my GT is Captain Howdy 0. That's a Zero. I like to host races on the weekends. I work 2nd shift so I'm up all night and often start racing late, EST. I end up racing with the opposite side of the world a lot.

Assuming GTCC adopts FM5, that's the goon club I'll be in.

See you guys on the ground floor (retail Gods willing.)

I know there's nothing really ground-breaking about this iteration of FM, unless you count open-wheeled cars (as I am sure some of you do); but that Ariel Atom is jaw-dropping and I can't wait to lap the Tog Gear Test Track in it (assuming it's still in, I haven't been keeping up too closely) and Prague looks cool as hell.

I don't know yet why people love Spa or Bathurst so much, or why people say Abby Dabby sucks (except for the name Tilke, of course) but I, for one, cannot wait to find out... in 1080p @ 60fps.

Honk honk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Cannot Find Server posted:

A lot of it is this turn right here, which will probably be the sight of a fair few spectacular online wrecks I'd imagine.

Sweet Jesus!

Between the interesting corners, that crazy long almost straight, and the elevation changes, I can see why this track gets so much love.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sex Vicar posted:

they re-added the Bugatti circuit layout as well.
Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

anime and cars posted:

MS have setup an Xbone experience thing in a building on my way to work, but every time I walk past it theres a massive queue and I cant be arsed to wait 30 mins to possibly play forza 5. I think i'm gonna have to order the limited edition game even if I dont get the console as soon as its out.
If the FM4 LE is anything to go by (and with the price of a console attached, it may well not be) I'd like to buy two. One for me and one to sell once they're all gone.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's a fair cop. But hey, it's a Free Market, too!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 1, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

I love the location they chose for Rally Di Positano, but I think the actual track layout itself was pretty bad and not very fun to drive around

:ughh:

Well, there will never be accounting for taste.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

L_Harrison posted:

Controllers master race.
Maybe that's true. I'm not convinced Forza doesn't give controller users a break, judging from replays. You may say that's just sour grapes, but I've watched a ton of controller replays, with the car constantly jerking left and right on straights and crazy corrections during turns that I am sure, as a wheel-only driver, I could not get away with and make the same lap time.

Call me jaded, jealous, stupid, or whatever you will, I think I am probably right.

As a sim junky, I refuse to drive a car with a controller unless I have no other choice, and if that means slower laps then I'm ok with that.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

SealHammer posted:

I'm sure more people would play with wheels and thereby mitigate the gaminess of the controller if there were decent wheels supported by Forza apart from the $400+ pieces of branded FerrariŽ and PorscheŽ merchandise.

But until they decide to try making that a reality, I will continue to giggle like a small child at the ~0.5-second per lap advantage I have over wheel users thanks to things like the one-touch button clutch.
I agree with you. The state of wheel hardware (on the XBox) has been a serious problem simply due to Microsoft's greed. I have a wonderful 900 degree Logitech Driving Force Pro that I bought for GT4. IMHO, I should have been able to use that with my XBox360. Because I bought an MS Wireless wheel, when the Fanatecs started coming out with their cool three metal pedal setups and cool shifters, I wanted. Badly! But after buying two wheels already I was just not gonna drop the coin (esp. after reading about the long backorders and steep entry price and QC problems (which were eventually fixed, I think, but still...)

So now I have to decide between gambling on the Mad Catz wheel (which looks like a much more serious product than they are known for) and the Thrustmaster, which promises three-pedal setups eventually. I'm torn, but I'll probably go the Thrustmaster route.

The thing is, now I have to learn to drive, like it's second-nature, with a controller. I'm 42 years old and the thought of lap after grueling lap clutching a little controller makes my hands ache already.

If you use a controller and turn on sim steering, that break pretty much vanishes. Saving a car is a whole lot more difficult and you can't just throw the stick from side to side if you start to lose the tail coming out of a turn. Sim steering makes driving a good bit more difficult, but also more satisfying and at least for me, allows faster lap times.

Welp, until I can bring a wheel and a stand home, I'll be finding out. I've always used sim steering with the wheel and I intend to use no assists with the controller as well. So... I'll be even less in control than usual I guess. I hope I get used to it, because I will be stuck with the controller for awhile.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 4, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I still bust out my N64 for San Francisco Rush :colbert:

And I kinda don't expect either console to sell great after launch for a year or so.

Yeah, but you're loving crazy. I mean that in the nicest way.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
All I have to say is this:

GT and FM are awesome.

But which one lets you paint and customize your car? Does GT6 have that, now? If not, FM5 wins because I *love* painting and decorating my cars.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
gently caress ME IN THE GOAT rear end

The more I see of this game the more it hurts that I am not driving it yet.

I... I think I might be a fanboy. Someone talk me off the ledge.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Goldghini.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Condolences, Pvax. Being out of work is a nightmare. Best wishes to you and to yours.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

A few weeks ago I cancelled my preorder and replaced it with a preorder of GT6 since I already have a PS3 and a wheel that will work with it. That preview has convinced me I made a huge mistake.

I'll wait for the wheel situation to settle down (need an H-pattern shifter and clutch). FM5 will still be there when the wheel support arrives.
I love you GB, but it's about time you ate a *little* crow. :cheeky:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Basticle posted:

I dont want to rehash the same old stupid Xbox One bashing but I think the point is that nearly everyone here who is a huge Forza fan has literally no other titles that interest them on the Xbox One, thus it seems like a huge price of entry to continue playing just one game.

Well, you can say that; but there are many cross-platform sports games that I play exclusively on consoles. Don't misunderstand, I will buy a PS4 also, and GT6 when it comes out (no matter how much it loving sucks.)

FPS games I play solely on PC. Sports games I play on consoles. "Killer apps" I think about, but Halo never did it for me (see my previous comment about FPS games) and but for GT there is no "killer app" on the PS now that Tekken is cross-platform.

My main concern is getting an XBone, a wheel, and playing FM5. Everything else comes after.

Most games worth playing will be multiplatform, just as they were this past gen. I see no reason to buy the console that costs $100 more, is less powerful and won't work with any peripherals I bought for its predecessor just for Forza.

"Less powerful" is a canard. The hardware is essentially equal. Yes, I know what you've read and PS looks better on paper; but it's a loving red herring and you know better.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 6, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

A 30% difference in power isn't "essentially equal". Come on dude, they can't even render a loving launch Call of Duty game in full HD on the Xbone, quit lying to yourself. The gap in power between the consoles is gigantic.
Nope. Not seeing it. You say they "can't" render a CoD title in full HD. You admit it's a launch title. There could be a million reasons why this launch title doesn't live up to your expectations, and none of them have to be hardware.

We've been through these console launches before (over and over and over by now), and we both know that specs on paper (or the first launch game offerings) do not equal any real insight into what the console can or will do in its lifetime.
The gap in power is not anything like "gigantic."

In every case the true power of the console comes from the people who write the code.

The consoles are, in fact, essentially equal. Time and games will bear this out.

Not that it matters much to me, because I'll own both consoles regardless. But when it comes time to buy the next Rockstar game or EA Sports title, it won't matter which console I buy it on, because they'll be identical.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzie Murloc posted:

Also in case anyone SOMEHOW is STILL not aware of this GT6 is releasing on the PS3 but NOT the PS4.
That would be me. I had forgotten already! Thanks for the reminder, because now my expenses for early 2014 have just dropped considerably. I'll buy another guitar, instead! Huzzah!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

See, I told you to just poo poo all of your money into just 1 hobby instead of many.
Thank you for caring, Coja. I do not intend that as sarcasm, either. I know your advice is sound.
But you knew all along I am an addict. If it isn't booze, it's toys to distract me from booze.

...no Spada, no Transit...
I'm totally ok with this.

As for the track list, it really stings. I remember from playing Team Fortress that new maps (even though they were free!) split our little gaming communities all the time, until the time came that you could download them from the server and not have to go looking for some .zip file to extract somewhere while everybody else was playing.

DLC tracks are a terrible idea unless they are free. People can still race together even if some have car packs others don't, but of course tracks can't work that way. We'll have a full lobby (being optimistic, I know) and then someone will switch to a DLC track and 2/3rds of the people will vanish, looking for another lobby to race in.

Yes, this is going to hurt, and I won't sugarcoat it. I *love* Suzuka and Maple Valley and Camino with all my heart. Bernese is a decent Camino replacement, but the loss of Maple Valley and Suzuka is hitting me hard. I'm relieved the 'Ring is coming back, because unless you're one of the 'Ring haters you'll probably come up with the $ to grab it.

I'm chalking this all up to having to make the console launch. I'd prefer to wait for a more complete game, but I understand the necessity to have FM available at launch. We can at least hope Microsoft will learn from this and either a) let Turn10 hook us up with some free DLC (I know, I know) or b) FM6 will be huge. As far as Horizon is concerned, I played until I won the event and that was it. I never bought a single car pack for it, and unless the next iteration has lots more online stuff to do, I never will.

So... it's a bitter pill to swallow regardless. It's also the price those of us who choose to adopt early end up paying. We're kinda used to it. Even with the free rape included in FM5, the gameplay footage I am seeing has me sold anyway. It's poo poo-hot and sounds amazing.

P.S. - I'm sorry Cubivore got probabted for engaging in a civil little debate with me about my opinion regarding console merit vs. specs, and I am not trying to revive or continue that discussion here. We did chat about it over PM and I half-jokingly told him that in my opinion the console that "wins" will be the one that doesn't die in eleven months like my first 360 did. :v:

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 7, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Here's the bulk of the article posted previously, for the lazy:

quote:

"We're grading the tracks on what state they're in, and if they didn't make the grade they were gone. For me it was less about do I want to deliver this or want to deliver that, I wanted to deliver the next-generation quality - and that meant having the shaders, and the imperfections in the concrete. And the easiest way to get those is to laser scan the track, as that captures those imperfections. We had old references on tracks where if the tracks we had were close we were able to go back to the old reference and recreate that imperfection. By definition that means these tracks take more time than ever."

Polyphony's Gran Turismo 6 recently had its car and track-list confirmed, with some 39 circuits and 1197 vehicles featuring - but it's worth noting that a bulk of that content has been ported over from versions of Gran Turismo that stretch as far back as its PlayStation 2 days.
Forza 5: The tracks

Bernese Alps
Catalunya
Spa
Indianapolis
Le Mans
Laguna Seca
Mount Panorama
Prague
Road Atlanta
Sebring
Silverstone
Test Track Airfield
Top Gear test track
Yas Marina

"We're looking at laser scanning of everything moving forward - that's what it comes down to," Greenawalt said of Turn 10's approach. "We want that to be the standard for next-generation. Our goal's not to carry old content over - and even with all the cars, we did the same process. There were some inaccuracies, and some cars were old-spec that we'd updated from Forza 2 to 3 to 4. But they didn't have the poly count where we wanted it - and they weren't as easy to up-res, so we just recaptured them. Some of them, the spec was good and we could add polygons where we needed them. So it came down to this rating system - and any track or car that wasn't an A grade got either chucked or recaptured."

The tracks that have been added to Forza's roster for the Xbox One game are certainly noteworthy. Spa Francorchamps, the host of the Belgian GP and one of the finest circuits in contemporary use, features, as does Bathurst's Mount Panorama circuit, complete with the famously challenging section that scales the mountainside before coming careering back down again.

And likewise the car list, while slimmer, is more diverse. Open-wheel cars make their debut in Forza in the form of the Dallara DW12 that's used in the Indycar series, and two classic F1 cars in the Ferrari 312T and McLaren M23, both from the 1976 season. A new announcement introduces a more modern example in the Lotus E21, the F1 car that's been campaigned by Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean this season.

There's hope that some of those missing tracks will make their way to Forza Motorsport 5 - indeed there's a rumour that the Nurburgring is shaping up for release early next year - but there's no commitment from Turn 10 just yet. "We're looking at what we're going to add as DLC. Obviously we're committed to cars - that's something we do very well. We're looking at tracks as well to see what we can do there."

Sorry about the wall-o-text, but I read the first bolded part and to me at least it rings true (no pun intended).

After experiencing GT5, the last thing I want is 200 "premium" cars and 800 "ugly rear end last gen" cars. I would have bought GT5 with just 200 premium cars (I can say this truthfully because I did buy GT5, and the whole time I had GT5 and played it, which is to say: up until FM4 came out and not a day longer) I *never* took a non-premium car out to drive. After the pretty cockpits, windshield wipers, high-beam headlights, and general gorgeousness of the new cars, I never wanted to drive a car with a hexagonal tailpipe and low poly-counts. The generic cockpits that got added later did nothing for me.

But that's just me. I am aware that some of the most fun cars in the game were old ones, but not for me. All of us gamers have different tastes and aspects that we care more about, and so it's only natural we'll disagree about stuff.

I'm not going to defend FM5 any further except to say that I'd rather have the higher standards and less content, than have more content that looks like poo poo compared to the new stuff. It was true for me in Gran Turismo, and it's true for me in Forza. It is a little weird seeing some people seemingly forget the bitter disappointment that was GT5 and now knocking FM5 for not following that model of releasing unfinished product with a day-one 894 MB patch and a 2.0 patch waiting way off in the future of the game. I wonder how we'll all feel come time for FM6?

[edit]

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I think the thing about the car list that makes me the most mad is that they trimmed it considerably but then they have like...5 BMW M3's, a bunch of Corvettes, 3 Trans Am's between the late 1960's-1970's. I know the cars are popular but man, go for some variety instead of that poo poo. I know GT gets a bad rap for having like 50 Skylines, but the fuckin game has 1000+ cars!
We're used to the old FM4 list, so yeah, it hurts. Personally I will really miss the Pinto and the Pacer. They were fun as hell. And the Porches... sigh. The starting list of cars for FM5 seems pretty robust for the smaller number. It's not fair to compare it to the FM4 list. As I said above, as far as I was concerned, GT5 didn't have 1000+ cars. It had 200, and another 800+ I wouldn't bother with. [/edit]

Lastly, something tells me that having Mount Panorama and Spa in the game at launch is gonna be quite the balm on my hurt butt.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 7, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

FM5 is an unfinished product though, you need to download the day-one patch to get the content that's not on the disc that you bought, otherwise you'll never be able to complete the career mode of the game. They're releasing Forza 5 in an even worse and more incomplete state than GT5.
I beg to differ. Show me a couple gigabytes of patches and a game that still isn't really finished three full years later and I'll agree with you.

Dude, worse and more incomplete than GT5? Really. Really. Day one 894 MB patch. Really. GT 2.0 released just as FM4 was coming out, October 2011. How big was that one? I'm dumbfounded you could say this.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 7, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

Anyway, I was just pointing out that your rambling that people would prefer Forza 5 to be unfinished when it literally is unfinished was silly, that's all.
That is not what I said and you know it. I said I'd rather have less content if it's higher quality than shitloads of low-quality content that I'd never touch.
Save the strawmen arguments for GBS or something.

Really, you've reached a new low.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

Anyway, I was just pointing out that the game has a day one patch is all.
O sure, when you put it that way, it's like the two rollouts are exactly, equally embarrassing. Show me the gigabytes of patches to "complete" the game and I'll repent.

But you didn't merely point out that the game has day one patch. You also said, "They're releasing Forza 5 in an even worse and more incomplete state than GT5."

We have seen with Turn10 that they prioritize to meet deadlines and milestones. We have seen with Polyphony Digital that they... suck at deadlines. Monumentally suck at deadlines.
So, FM5 is a launch title. That is to say, it WILL launch with the console. GT5 was supposed to be one as well. We all know how well that turned out.
I'm used to you saying unrealistically positive things about GT, but this is a step beyond what even I can stomach.

Like I said, we're gamers and that means we're opinionated and sometimes disagree about stuff. But even if FM5 has a 895 MB day one patch, Polyphony's horrible track record will still be worse.

Sorry if I sound angry, I'm more incredulous than anything.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Models ported from fm4 wouldn't look out of place though. Every car had an interior, every car had a decent poly count. And the game looks good in hd on a 70 inch tv. Those models in fm5 would have been perfectly fine, and nowhere near the difference between normal and premium cars in gt5.
You're very cool in my book, GB. But this is pure conjecture. We haven't actually seen the final product in action at home to make the call. I suspect you have a point, but I also respect Turn10's decision to dump anything that doesn't meet their new standard.

Basticle posted:

So someone correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the Mad Catz wheel supposed to be the "official" Xbox One wheel? Yet they havent announced a drat price yet, nor is it on any retailers website. What gives?
I was getting the impression that the Thrustmaster wheel was the "official" wheel. Not too psyched about the Italia wheel design, but I do like the news that three pedal setups and better shifters are planned.

I actually like the MadCatz design, with the swappable wheels. But I do want to finally have a clutch, and of course their QC is always going to be suspect until they step it up. This product is looking pretty good, with the adjustable pedal springs and different wheel designs. Throw in a clutch pedal and I might give them a shot.

robotsinmyhead posted:

You guys are taking the wind out of my sails. I all-but pre-ordered the game last night, and now I'm thinking about just waiting for a while.
I won't say waiting is ever a bad idea, but maybe just watch the HD videos that are coming out and see if you get PPPUUUMMMMMMMPPED. I am!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 7, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPAQa6Scbdc

It looks like the absolute worst case would be that the old cars would have slightly worse reflections, but still nothing to the extent of GT5, and nobody should cheerlead the loss of quality car choices that could have easily been kept at little cost to the studio and at no harm to the consumer.
What it "looks like" and what is reality for the developer are likely two different things. Also, the term "quality" in "quality car choices" is entirely dependent on that difference. Call me a cheerleader if you must, but I'm giving T10 the benefit of the doubt in this case, at least for now.
Since I don't code games for a living, I won't deign to second-guess T10 or what constitutes "harm to the consumer."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Many, Many, Many, Many, Many, Many games threads have shown that having blind faith in a games studio you like at the cost of ignoring every video and bit of news is an incredibly bad idea.

But I am not ignoring videos. I am stoked by the videos. If you read any of my posts you will know that I am also *not* ignoring the news. I am addressing it head-on. Jesus.

quote:

You can talk about how it could still be the bestest thing ever and that we can't really know until it's out

Reminds me of something:

quote:

I already said this nine posts ago:
We haven't actually seen the final product in action at home to make the call.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GhostDog posted:

Then they should have released later.
I think you already know why this wasn't an option.

quote:

Also, people keep saying this and all I see is a somewhat better looking Forza game. The cars still look like models and the way they use light is still as poo poo as it's always been.
I don't get this criticism, but you're entitled to your opinion of course. I think the cars and tracks look amazing and the lighting is awesome.

MUFFlNS posted:

It's a shame because Forza is good, but Microsoft/Turn10 greed is starting to push away the fanbase more and more. People have also just had various tipping points as well, such as some who were angered by the weak hardware of the Xbox One and lack of consideration for wheel users, but were still excited for the game up until they saw what content it actually has.

I agree with this completely. It is a shame. I do chalk it up to being a launch title and other factors.

MUFFlNS posted:

For me personally it's just a continuation of a trend that started with Forza 4...
As a guy who bought every car pack for FM3 (and FM4...yes, I am a sucker but I have no regrets!) I can say that the trend started with 3 if not earlier.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 7, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well, to be honest I have an illness. I didn't need this, either. There were many reasons not to get it. But I did, and I'm glad. (Glad I paid it off! $1700.oo total, and no, I'm not rich.)

for large http://i.imgur.com/vEAMF5H.jpg?1

Lemme look at the vids I have, I'll be happy to link one if it's worthy and I can find it. Best to look back through this thread, though.
Sorry, I downloaded all the vids and don't have the links.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 7, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm so on the fence. I mean, I'm getting a XBone anyway, another $60 isn't gonna kill me, but I'm afraid of getting DLC'd to death cause the game is lightweight at launch.
DLC is your choice to make or not. As I said earlier, I can't judge because I bought all the DLC for 3 and 4 and I refuse to think about the actual cost. I do the same for BluRays and hookers.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I bought LoTR theatrical knowing I wouldn't watch them until the EEs came out. And the EEs came out and I bought and watched them, and now I have both. Why?
Affliction.

drat you, New Line!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Morphix posted:

You seriously need to see a therapist. Or just continue the life of the alpha-consumer, chasing that new product high. Prolly won't bite you in the rear end when you realize you're a creepy hoarder with a shopping addiction.

Serious question, how many unboxing videos have you watched? Or are you the one who makes them?
Ooooo, nice poo poo post. I especially enjoy the ignorant judgmental morality. I wasn't aware that "alpha-consumers" existed, much less that I was one of them!

This is a comedy forum and I try to be somewhat funny, even though I mostly fail. You know, like you just did.

One of the lovely girls I dated back in the 90's had a mother who was a serious, full on hoarder. It was nightmarish. Not something I would make fun of, even on a comedy forum. The amount of pain it caused was tragic, and I knew I could never be like that. My home is tidy and my belongings are mostly things I use, BluRays being the main exception.

I don't make enough money after bills to be this alpha-consumer you assume I must be. Maybe that's my limiting factor, but I think you're premature in judging me so harshly. I think I just like nice things and justify buying them when I can manage to do so. You know, like the hookers I was so obviously serious about frequenting in my post.

Serious answer to your "serious" question: I only watch review videos of goods I think I might buy. Unboxing videos, I don't watch; nor do I make them. When I get my XBone, maybe I'll make one just for you. Also, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.0 7" today on my Sprint account. Should I unbox it for you when I get it?

Thanks ever so much for the therapy advice, though. I'm sure it was 100% well-meant and not meant as an insult or attack. My girlfriend is certified, she could probably help!

I might even be creepy, but not for my consumerism.

P.S. - Please go gently caress yourself raw, you judgmental piece of poo poo.

[edit] To anyone who actually read this, I apologize unreservedly for falling for a concern troll. Please forgive me. [/edit]

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 8, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Moochewmoo posted:

Whoa dude. Maybe its time to step back a little and not take stuff so personally?
Yeah, you're right. I wrote a lot of words for no good reason. I fell for the concern troll. Stepping back in three... two... one...

ahhh

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Yeah, they put out a game called Gran Turismo: Prologue.
They sure did. It sat there, sucking, an awful long time before the actual game came out, which managed to suck even more.

MUFFlNS posted:

Yeah, now we have to wait for them to laser scan Maple Valley.

Wait a minute...
Please don't be so disingenuous. They've stated in plain English what their standards are. Maple Valley as it is doesn't meet the grade. This means they have to redo the textures and add detail, it has nothing to do with laser scanning. There are many versions of MV, and they all need to be upgraded. Don't stoop.

Seriously, remember this is a launch title from a developer that actually cuts things they can't milestone in their allotted time. They do this to meet deadlines. This poo poo is getting old as hell.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 8, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

Yeah, it's a really great track. It's especially puzzling since when you look at tracks such as Bernese Alps, you can see that they've barely changed them at all when bringing them over from Forza 4, save for the crazy sun glare that they've added. It's even more puzzling when you look at tracks such as Camino Viejo which look really fantastic and would have barely needed touching at all. Oh well, at least there's Yas Marina :geno:
The article I quoted had two take-aways from it:

1) DLC tracks are bad,
2) Missing tracks might end up as DLC.

I'm not pleased about either, but tracks like the Nurburgring and Maple Valley will be in the game (I am assuming) and they will be compelling enough to sell.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hair posted:

Also, Faustus, Don't ever let anyone tell you that Ibanez was a bad move, that fretwork is stunning :colbert:
I know, Captain. I know.

Someday Supercharged Death and I will battle again. I know this, too.

alr posted:

Does this mean that even in the future with Forza 6 we might not see time of day changes, clouds moving across and blocking out the sun, weather etc because of the lighting model and esram limitations? Or that if these things were in game, it would need to be a completely separate version of the same track?
No, it doesn't. It means that this launch title won't have those features. Future releases could (and should) have them and more.

But, no promises.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 8, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
How much of this will you be focusing on while racing against other people?

I want to hope that the finished game will be polished enough that you guys don't bitch about this poo poo; but if the worst case scenario comes to pass, how much of this will you see while racing wheel-to-wheel with other online drivers?

Or do you care?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

You can't take your eyes off it while playing. It's very noticeable. Forza 5 is clearly a huge step backwards from Forza 4. There's really no way to spin this in a positive way or handwave away the problems in order to justify your pre-order.

I will take your advice now, but I will also wait and draw my own conclusions.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm still definitely in on FM5, but of course my XBone preorder is now showing estimated delivery on 12/31. I fully expect it to be pushed back again (don't ask, I don't wanna talk about it).
I guarantee that I'll grab GT6, since I don't have to buy a console for it and I already have a wheel that works, so I'll give both a try.

My heart lies with Forza, though. Until PD lets me paint my car at will, cover my car with stupid HOWDY logos and 77s and "Backmarker Bros" decals it will never rate.

Dilz.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hay gamerz, I found the best side-by-side comparison of the PS4 and XBox One yet!

My mind is now made up, yo!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The contents of the first car pack are out, and all but two of the cars are from Forza 4 :lol:

I said come in! posted:

:smith: Not much else to say. Was really hoping Turn-10 wouldn't have gone there.

Hang on... Were there no DLC cars in FM4 that were in FM3? Is this something new?

I mean, since when did "This car was in a previous version of FM" mean it's a rip-off?

If the new DLC car looks more realistic, or more detailed, and/or has better physics, then what's the problem?
This isn't FM4, or 3, or 2.
Did anyone just expect that every car from all the previous FM games would automatically be in FM5, or that popular cars from previous games would not be released as spruced-up DLC for this new launch title?

I've read some odd criticisms of FM5 but this... really?

Actually, I take it back. I just remembered all the complaining about Horizon DLC being "cars I already bought for a completely different game, so gently caress you Turn10! I'm gonna go play... ???"

[edits] I got switched to days for a couple weeks and I'm exhausted. [/edit]

[edit continued] wait, not done yet...
There are SO MANY awesome cars in FM4. I accept Turn 10's reasoning for launching with only about 200 cars. If the first car pack fills in some of the cars from before, with the visual upgrades, then I literally see no problem with this. I imagine it's quicker to bring older models up to date than to get all new cars ready for launch. So it makes sense that fewer DLC cars will be all new to the franchise. It's not the end of the world.

Just admit you don't want to buy the console for a launch title and move on to something else or whatever.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

They also did this with the new tracks they added for Forza 4, especially Hock and Sonoma, where they bragged about how they intensively laser scanned both tracks and whatnot.

I can't believe anyone is seriously not seeing right through their bullshit right now. This is the most blatant money grab I can recall in gaming ever. I bought all the car packs for Forza 3 and 4, but only one in Horizon and won't even buy Forza 5, let alone these loving ludicrous car packs that will predominately feature half-assed Forz4 4 imports. Stop supporting this horrible business practice, you stupid assholes.

Cry havoc, and let slip the Cubes of Vore!

"The most blatant money grab I can recall in gaming ever."
"Half-assed Forza4 imports...."
"It's a complete pile of half-assed poo poo. Stop supporting Turn10, you stupid assholes."

:crossarms: "Prove me wrong, children. Prove me wrong."

After all the incredible hours of enjoyment they've given me in 3 and 4, just because this launch title is rushed like a launch title, I'm gonna turn my back on my favorite racing game development studio and why? To starve them so they won't make 6? To teach them a lesson? To pout?

No.

I can't believe anyone could be surprised that T10 is working like crazy to bring back as many FM4 cars as possible. I also doubt there will be anything "half-assed" about them. I am, however, taking the Ariel Atom out on the TGTT; and I'm gonna stare with glee at my replays watching the front suspension on the KTM Crossbow, and I'm gonna slap stupid Howdy logos and paint jobs on all my cars (natch) and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have an awesome time.

Wring your hands and gnash your teeth as much as you must, if it makes you feel better; but I bet I'm not the only person stoked for this game who could use a break from all this repetitive, overblown hysteria. All it amounts to is :jerkbag: about a game and a console that still aren't out.

I, on the other hand, will bow right out now, until I can come back and post vids and screenshots and fun racing stuff (which unfortunately will be awhile because my console delivery date is 12/31 and might be pushed back even further.) :sigh:

• Locked thread