Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

quote:

Paddock Pack - $120.00 (Limited to 3,000 units, available at store.forzamotorsport.net)
Includes a Hoodie, waterbottle, valve stem caps, keychain, and Spy Optics sunglasses

Should also note that the limited edition of the game is an $80 optional extra with the Paddock Pack. That's right kids, a special edition of the game that doesn't contain, y'know, the game.

I can sorta understand the reasoning (people pre-ordering elsewhere) and that it's not new (Dead Space 3 did something similar), but it's still a dumb idea worthy of mockery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have two Xbones on pre-order, and for the low, low price of retail + $400 you can have my second one (and subsidize my new thrustmaster wheel!)

(Holy god that trailer)

I'd take it for retail - $400. :v:

But yeah, Forza is the one Microsoft franchise that I miss from my 360 days.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Yeah, I'm gone from "I'm kinda jealous" to "well, guess I might as well buy GT6". I believe that's the smallest selection of cars in the series thus far, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's also true for the selection of tracks. I can understand Turn10 not wanting to pull a GT and port the Forza 4 stuff over, but the AutoVista models would probably not stick out in F5 nearly as much as the GT4 cars did in GT5 (and GT6, unfortunately). But :shrug:, what's done is done.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Cannot Find Server posted:

I really can't think of many games that were worse off than they would have been on previous gen hardware, it seems like kind of a dumb thing to say v:shobon:v

This next generation seems more to be the exception to that, not the rule.

Nah, there was a bunch of launch games last gen that would have not looked out of place on the generation before (Perfect Dark Zero in particular).

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Well, in that case you'll almost certainly get your money's worth. :v: Let me guess, EU Day One pre-orderer?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Does Murica get anything for day one preorders?

No.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Xbone threads are going to be hilarious on Friday when people get the system. :allears: Hell, the Polygon stream was them basically realising that Forza 5 was not worth 9/10 live on air.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Longinus00 posted:

A summary please?

A selection of quotes, pulled from the GBS thread:

quote:

"The AI is so advanced and true to life that it will send you a message calling you a fag when you win."
"It's really cool, the game penalizes you for having fun!"
"A lot of sitting around watching things."
"It looks like you are in hotwheels land"

guy 1: "I don't see how this [headtracking] is useful at all"
guy 2: "well you can see around a turn-"
guy 1: "NO"

"ughhhh are there microtransactions in this"
"everyone in forza drives like an rear end in a top hat"

Sure sounds like a 9/10 game to me! :laugh:

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Pudgygiant posted:

If this was Forza 4.5, just Forza 4 with updated graphics and a couple new tracks, I'd almost gladly pay $80 (non-LCE is for suckers). But it's not, it's Forza 3.5. It's a distinct regression in the series. No AH, no Maple Valley, no loving 'Ring, I'd wager no affinity levels. Yas Marina was boring to drive in an Aston in real life, I'd blow my brains out doing a 20+ lap championship or endurance. I have a lot of faith in T10 after doing some online races with the devs and seeing that they're just really loving cool car guys that can make video games, this all just screams of MS trying to ruin a good thing.

Affinity levels are in, it's just AFAIK you don't get anything for levelling them up (although feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Pixelboy posted:

It was in Horizon as well. You don't have to use it. I predict nobody will.

The fact that they haven't removed it suggests that plenty did, and that Microsoft expects plenty will.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

I just read that apparently car clubs are not in Forza 5 either. This just keeps getting better.

:ughh: Christ, that's pretty much a basic feature. Wonder what else got cut that they haven't told us about?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

pvax posted:

A turn 10 guy posted. Looks like it was an error that is being corrected. So - everyone was right .. and MS jsut hosed up .... they are turning into Farsight (the pinball guys) over there.

Yup, picture was genuine, and like the Microsoft Points to non-USD conversions, they're claiming that they hosed up the maths and will fix it. I suspect we're starting to see a pattern form.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

You Am I posted:

Just interested in the comments about grinding for cars. You already have to grind for cars in other Forzas, what's the difference here? There were $1million plus Ferraris in Forza 4.

I mainly play multiplayer Forza, where I get the majority of my in game credits for, barely play single player mode since Forza 2.

They stripped out the vast majority of the alternative ways to earn credits, and it appears to have severely nerfed how many credits you can earn by racing. Add in that the top tier cars can reach 6 million credits, and you have a problem. Oh, and in Free Play you are limited to a handful of cars plus what you own in the career mode, so you can't blast around in the F1 car from the get go, unlike in Forza 4.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Minimaul posted:

Xbone day one update is taking forever for me. I'm not sure if it's my lovely internet (shouldn't be that bad) or jus the servers getting pounded. Maybe a little bit of both. I was hoping to start the Forza download when I head out for a few hours, but I guess not. Grrrr.

If it's completely stuck, might be worth risking a full shutdown (holding down the power button for five seconds) and trying again.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Minimaul posted:

It's progressing just really slowly.

Poor connection? :shrug: Just wait it out, I guess.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Quite A Tool posted:

So as an ultra-Forza fanboy (who more or less refuses to pay for DLC), is this game not really a big step up from FM4? I more or less got the 360 because of Forza so I originally was leaning towards grabbing FM5 and a One, but honestly that's the only reason I would want the new Xbox. If it's as bad as people are saying I may end up just saving myself the $100 and heading down PS4 lane.

In terms of content, definitely a step backwards. 200-ish cars (smallest selection in the series), 14 tracks (wouldn't be too surprised if it's the smallest selection in the series), no auction house, no car clubs, no cars unlocked for levelling up, heavily nerfed selection of cars in Free Play (a "handful" of cars plus what you bought in Career Mode), basically no way of earning credits outside of racing (and praying your Drivatar brings home the bacon) and your mileage may vary on Drivatar but it seems to be generally speaking a downgrade for the single player AI.

The upside is the graphics has improved a bit, but whether the difference over Forza 4 is worth the smart end of £500 is another question entirely, especially considering Drive Club is threatening to blow Forza 5 out of the water in the graphics department. Oh, and rumbling triggers. At the very least, if you have no intention of buying any of the DLC, then I'd recommend waiting for Forza 6.

If you disconnect from Live, does it still have Drivatars?

AFAIK, Drivatars work kinda like the player data in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, in that they automatically download the player data to your console on first connecting online.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

General Probe posted:

Now here's the best part: it's not just cars that can be bought with tokens, it's everything that costs in game credits so even though downloading tunes is "free" from the sellers perspective, the buyer can still expect to pay ~30,000 in game credits per tune (I think the conversion rate is about 500 cr/1 token) so T10 have gone ahead and monetized the old storefront system for themselves rather than the content creators! YAY

:barf:

Oh wow, I didn't think it'll get that bad.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Congratulations on your new title, Ether.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Not sure what I lied about but apparently liking the game made someone angry. Angry enough to buy DLC, so I guess that slippery slope argument was valid.

It's a complete waste of :10bux:, since they forgot to change your default avatar to something more insulting and forgot to use the [size] tags.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Edmund Honda posted:

iRacing is far far more serious and not really the same class of game at all.

Project CARS is maybe closer, but it's not finished. Assetto Corsa is on Steam early access and is also selling itself in that mould, but is probably further off. The Steam forum looks pretty negative as well.

There's also Race Room Racing Experience, but it's basically free-to-play hell. You get one track and five cars for free, and everything else you have to pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Can you provide a source that Forza 5 uses the same engine as Forza Horizon? I have not seen that and it would be interesting to read about.

Forza Horizon used a modified version of the Forza 4 engine. I wouldn't be too surprised if Turn 10 didn't take anything from that fork in making Forza 5's engine, but yeah.

• Locked thread