Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I have a huge soft spot for this game, my first big translation job; I translated the non-voiced text (except for a few lines that were added after me and before release)--including the puzzles--and the songs. Though I didn't have visual context, a fact that is painfully obvious in a few places, the translation file contains copious notes from the devs explaining puzzles and stuff like that. I look forward to the rest of this playthrough and hopefully being able to shed some light on a few things if when K&K get angry about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Gaseous Snake posted:

Just want you to know you did an awesome job!!
Thanks. I still really like the game, especially if someone else is playing it. And who better than Keith and Kyle?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Blenheim posted:

The clue stanzas, in order, represent Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet, Othello, King Lear (the cute references to the game Othello are red herrings), and Macbeth.
The dev notes actually make it clear that the game-Othello part specifically refers to the play Othello and isn't a red herring--though it might be two stanzas long (from "Doth lie invite truth?" to "and black to white"). That third "lying" stanza is not marked as being a hint for any one play, so it could either refer to Othello or be pure filler. The King Lear part is just "Is not a silence brimming with love more precious than flattery?"

Blenheim posted:

I'm sorry, Hirayuki - I honestly don't know how much of this is your doing and how much is the source material itself - but I think folks are confusing pretty and elaborate puzzle-writing for good puzzle-writing, and I can't say that SH3 Hard mode contains many examples of the latter.
No worries--I just translate the puzzles (and add Shakespearean flourishes), I don't write 'em. It took me a while as a translator to not feel bad when reviewers and players complained about a game's writing or story or what have you, but that part of the game was already lovely (or fantastic--I can't take credit for the good ones, either) before it got to my desk.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

How are we 7 episodes in and the plot hasn't started yet?
It started a few episodes back when Heather ran into that weird lady who went on about witnessing The Beginning. Plus there's the private eye.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FillInTheBlank posted:

The daddy thing is probably because it was written in Japanese for her to use an affectionate term for her father and daddy is really the only translation.
I didn't translate those parts of the script, but: The Japanese uses "Papa," which would have been even weirder. (Remember Angela from SH2?) As a translation, "Daddy" is a little too much; "Dad" is more accurate. I, a grown woman, most often call my father "Dad" in English and "Papa" when I refer to him in Japanese.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Galick posted:

Isn't it mentioned in the instruction manual though? Am I the only person who still reads those things if they're included?
Not really; and no, you're not. All the manual says is that she was out shopping "at a local mall" when the poo poo hit the fan.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Squallege posted:

There's an art gallery too!
And an auto repair center...office...thing!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

anyway, I think its fair to say that based on how fringe a tool that is and on how weird SH is, they definitely were talking about a classic nutcracker.
It doesn't look anything like a classic nutcracker!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's generally understood that the missing-person case that brought the detective to Silent Hill involved James.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Blenheim posted:

The second is that...well, you know the protracted part of the poem where the attacker shoves their thumb into the woman's eye socket "abruptly, decisively, like drilling a hole" and gets hot from swirling it around in the destroyed tissue? The bit with the woman screaming "It hurts! It hurts!" as her eye is turned to jelly and the "cinnabar tears" leaking down and all that? Yeah, you're supposed to ignore that. That's only to clue you in on the fact that the poem's the key to the door lock (the assailant's thumb pressing out/on/through the woman's bulbous eye equating to your finger pressing in a button).
That's not true as the puzzle was originally written. Unfortunately, it got screwed up somewhere between the script and the programming. In the original file, the solution is 7236, stated explicitly to symbolize the woman's right eye, lips, left cheek, and left ear. This solution makes the eye-gouging stanza relevant:

quote:

I place my left hand on your
face as though we were to kiss.
Then I suddenly shove my thumb
deep into your [right] eyesocket.
The 7236 combo is perfectly logical...if you're looking at a computer keypad, which is laid out as 789-456-123[-0]. The keypad in the game, however, is laid out like a telephone: 123-456-789[-0]. I think some people were trying to explain the discrepancy by saying the gouged eye's bloody tears moved down to the cheeks, so you have to work backwards from the cheeks or something?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ThatPazuzu posted:

Do people have pancakes for dessert? Pancakes are the most breakfasty food I know.
They're strictly a dessert food in Japan.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Blenheim posted:

- I don't want to clog the thread with another long Hard Mode puzzle recap/complaint, but I cannot envision an explanation for the (this's a Wiki link, but it has no spoilers for stuff we haven't seen) crematorium puzzle on Hard mode that does not consist of "the second and third clue stanzas of the master poem were accidentally switched," 'cause that's the only way the drat thing makes sense. 10 years later, and even one of the most assiduously analytical fan bases out there has no consistent explanation for the logic of the puzzle as it exists beyond "Wikipedia says linnets sometimes maybe eat a lot I guess."
You're close. The dev notes say to rank the birds/numbers in vertical order from heaven to hell (mentioned in their respective stanzas). The problem is that this step is neither mentioned nor alluded to at any time in the actual game.

eta: You need literally zero real-life knowledge of birds for that puzzle.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 18, 2014

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Coconut Indian posted:

When you walk by #7, you're supposed to hear "Heather" in a whisper but in all the years I've played this game, I've only triggered it twice.
I think they found the morgue in an earlier video, before the birthday phonecall and the revelation that Corpse #7 was Stanley. It may have triggered then, but it wouldn't have meant anything, and K&K probably wouldn't have noticed/heard it anyway.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Vincent's comment
Spoiler that poo poo. It's right around the corner.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wikipedia posted:

McDonald's began offering the Mighty Kids Meal on March 30, 2001, as a response to Burger King's Big Kids Meal, which had debuted in 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

JBlaustein posted:

I am but I want to take the opportunity to say what a fantastic job "Hirayuki" (why can't I say your real name?) did on the poems and puzzles and non-voice stuff on SH3!!!
Thanks, Jeremy--I had a lot of fun on those puzzles, even the gross ones. I kind of wish K&K had played this on a harder difficulty so we could have seen more of them, but then again...yeah, maybe not. My real name is in the credits, if anyone wants to go digging.

• Locked thread