Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Blenheim posted:

ETA2: a) I think that Heather's following the weird convention of most teenage girls in mass media calling their fathers "Daddy." When I was a teenage girl, I always used "Dad," as did most of the teenage girls I knew. I have to wonder how much of a real-world basis calling your father "Daddy" past puberty has. I hope not much, but who knows.

I'm going through X-Files again with my girlfriend and Scully calls her father 'daddy' several times in one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

psymonkey posted:

Jeez you guys really did not do the American public school system any favors with that explanation of how word sounds work toward the end of the video.. Let me help you out. 90% of the time, in a 2 syllable word where the first syllable ends in a vowel, if it is followed by a double consanant then it is a short vowel sound (rapper), and if it's a single consanant it's a long vowel sound (raper). So yes donut is pronounced correctly, and so is that name with 2 b's you mentioned.

:eng101:
No. It would be a /^/ o sound, as in 'coming' or 'cover' or 'honey' (all words where the O is followed by a consonant and a vowel). Actually, the /^/ O sound is typically used in stressed syllables. The same can be said for the other back of the throat vowel sounds. PRESent has a short E while preSENT has a long one.

If you want a word a little closer to donut to compare with, try donex (pronounced dun-ix, a type of grass) or Donet (dun-et, from Conatus, famous grammarian)

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 5, 2013

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
*pay this accidental post no mind*

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 5, 2013

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
'Doughnut' has the definition, 'donut' just says 'See:doughnut'

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Blenheim posted:

I actually didn't understand to what the thing about "strength" in the ampoule description referred until reading the above post.

I find it amazing that they're/there/their still has to be covered at the college level. We had a comprehensive unit on homonyms in seventh grade, and even then, it seemed to be way late to cover the subject. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, though; my last experience of college-level English was a lit course that demanded four essays total, which everyone really, really struggled to write. We had to take extra time going through the analytical papers on each work we were supposed to read because so many people didn't understand the vocab used in them.
I had a sophomore english class where the homework for 3 nights in a row would be to read/reread/rereread an essay and take notes a different way each time. WE WERE BEING TAUGHT HOW TO TAKE NOTES I AM NOT IN 3RD GRADE

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Pneub posted:

I can't believe I had to watch you slog through that loving horseshit again. Pay attention before you decide to reload mid video next time. Jesus.

Your mistake is thinking you HAD to watch anything.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
That's something I think we're already looking into for the Mario Brothers movie, so we will also look info it for this dumb thing.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Kyle loves Dark Souls and I have no interest it. I played it for about an hour and didn't like it.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

GrandHound posted:

That's unfortunate, but I can fully understand why. For all it's good game design and how well written the story is for how immensely subtle is, it's still ungodly levels of punishing for even tiny mistakes and requires a large amount of a willingness to fail multiple times to succeed.

To get back on topic, I still despise the utter bullshit of the subway level. The signs are unclear, the level design is confusing, and it's boring to look at. I was not pleased at all.

Actually I just don't like the aethsetics and I think it was weird, awkward controls. Its keeping me away from what I otherwise think is a really cool thing

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

FillInTheBlank posted:

This is why we have Let's Plays.
I barely have time to play games, let alone watch games i don't want to play

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

turtlecrunch posted:

They play and then edit/release it much later. Who knows, they could have beaten the game by now. :unsmith:

Yo, we haven't. Also I can't believe how far behind this episode is. Must be one of the most we've ever done.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

FlamingLiberal posted:

How are we 7 episodes in and the plot hasn't started yet?

loving exactly.

Hirayuki posted:

It started a few episodes back when Heather ran into that weird lady who went on about witnessing The Beginning. Plus there's the private eye.

Yeah, but there's still no real context for either of those things.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Okay, I don't know if we discussed it in an already released video or an upcoming one, but here's what we all mean when we say there's no plot yet:
Silent Hill 1 and 2 start with immediate goals. Harry has to find his daughter and james has to solve the mystery of his dead wife sending him letters. Those both driving forces behind their respective games.
Right now, Heather has no goal. She's trying to go home, sure, but she'd be trying to do that anyway after an afternoon out. On top of that, every time a plot point finds her she runs away (IE detective and Claudia). While it might be true (and I don't think it is at all) that by this point the Silent Hill 3 plot is more development than its predecessors, because SH1 and 2 have immediate goals from the start, everything we do in the game seems like it's in service to finding the daughter/the wife. In actually we might just be opening doors and searching rooms but it FEELS like a mission. For Heather there is none of that. It just feels like we're trying to get from place A to B because she's kind of lost and confused. Way less lost and confused than she should be (though that's no different than previous games)

EDIT

Reaverbot posted:

a goal (getting home to your father without dying)
That is a goal that has been stretched to its absolute limit. There is nothing interesting about this as a goal. It does not promote any curiosity, it hinders exploration, and it's BORING.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Anonymous Zebra posted:

That's what it was. It basically fits the original Team Silent's obsession with horror authors.

My original point was that the complaints about the story are unfounded, since Heather is not actually wandering around Silent Hill, but is actually wandering around her home and is just as confused as the player at this point.

Just because what's happening makes sense in the context of the game world doesn't mean we cant have more story going on. Complaints founded.

VVVVV

CJacobs posted:

We have an objective, sure, but Douglas has only showed up twice and both times Heather brushed him off and that crazy cult lady barely said anything that could be construed as plot-related to you, the player, before also being brushed off. While Heather is going home to her dad, that's not much of a goal because she already was about to do that before poo poo went off the wall crazy. Now she's running around with guns and mauls and paying it very little mind!
loving exactly

I'm still enjoying the game, though.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 3, 2014

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Are you guys really still bewildered by the nutcracker thing? It's not a nutcracker , it's a nutcracker . For removing nuts from bolts.

Yeah, here's the google image search for nutcracker
https://www.google.com/search?q=nut...iw=1745&bih=868
tell me how long you have to scroll down until you find what normal people call a wrench

Radio! posted:

I refuse to believe this because the alternative is way funnier.
Because it's not a real thing

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 27, 2014

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
I know those as nut removers, particularly for broken nuts that wouldn't work with a wrench.

anyway, I think its fair to say that based on how fringe a tool that is and on how weird SH is, they definitely were talking about a classic nutcracker.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 28, 2014

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

quakster posted:

You generally become more jaded as you get older. I gotta hype up myself and be mildly sleep deprived to get the intended reaction out of Silent Hill these days.

I get mad hyped about games i like, this is not the issue.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Kamoc posted:

Kyle and Keith got together to yell at each other about Silent Hill for a video and you guys should watch it maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qr30DZJrBw
Yeah, they should totally watch! Great job putting the whole thing together.

no_shit_columbo posted:

Can we just have them re-do everything Niggurath has done?
Let's not pretend that's even kind of a good idea (but yeah, maybe)

Radio! posted:

The Nightmare Barn is probably scary enough even without chainlink.

There are parts of it that are horrifying, and its all scary in the dark, but in the day time its totally benign without Scary Games happening

eating only apples posted:

Mostly I just hope you guys work up the strength to play Homecoming, that game is hilariously stupid and great.
That probably what I'm most excited to get to, whether good or bad I want something that's at least interesting to comment on and I feel like SH 2 and 3 just havent had that quality so far.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I'm personally waiting for the "Let's play 30 years of Final Fantasy" where they have to complete every game in the main series along with playing side games.

Keith, Kyle, make it happen.

I super dont want to do that. I think doing SH has taught us that we prefer playing something faster paced for LPs.

E: It's the difference between tangents/unrelated topics being a luxury and being literally necessary to make a good video.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
I don't know if Kyle would agree (but probably), I think Shattered Memories is definitely better than SH2 and 3.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

ProfessorBooty posted:

I love the Cube. I still have it in my living room. I'm just saying that because I don't think Kyle has one, which would set him back an extra fifteen bucks if he were to want to grab ED. I mostly use my gamecube for the GBA player nowadays.

He's got a wii and a gamecube so we good

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 22, 2014

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Just so you guys know, we've made up a release/recording schedule so things arent quite so crazy http://tinyurl.com/RBschedule

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

General Ironicus posted:

I love it when a family is close enough to rub their dicks together in a butt.

I definitely remember that we said this, but I have no clue why/about what. Also, gross.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Pneub posted:

You're low on health but you should have plenty of bullets, you might as well at least clear out the hallways so you don't get hit every other trip. Haven't you ever played Bioshock with hints on? Running past every fight isn't the best idea when you're indoors.

We spent 2 full silent hill games with people telling us the exact opposite of this.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Portals posted:

In Britishese, "pudding" means "dessert".

This was a good episode.

What about all the savory puddings we mentioned? Blood pudding, white pudding, steak and kidney pudding, etc. Those are very specifically not for dessert.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 9, 2014

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

DWK posted:

Of course pancakes are dessert! You have them with cream, sugar, fruit, chocolate etc. I think the thing is, in Britain, we don't really do the sweet breakfast thing. I look at American cereals and wonder how you all still have teeth.
Whereas, we have a huge full monty every morning and die of heart failure age 35.

As bad as some ceral is, it's mostly fine. Just a random general health warning though: A lot of the cereals that look and sound healthy often have almost twice as much sugar as notorious 'sugar cereals'
Example: Post Blueberry Morning cereal http://almostveggirlie.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/blueberry-morning.jpg has about 20 grams of sugar and things like Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Coco Puffs both only have 10. Protein and fat are comparable between the three. It's a huge misleading thing I've noticed recently.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Mu. posted:

English pancakes look totally different from American pancakes though, are they even comparable? English pancakes look more like crepes or something. Scotch pancakes look a lot more like American ones, but I don't know if they taste the same.

Hirayuki posted:

They're strictly a dessert food in Japan.
#pancakefacts!
I had no idea that there was any other type of pancake besides 'pancakes'

Dango Bango posted:

Macaronin and cheese is the best Keith one-liner joke since hotel for dogs. I had to pause the video.
Man, it's been so long since Hotel for Dogs that I have to disagree for the sake of still thinking I'm a funny guy

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

JFairfax posted:

Blood pudding aka black pudding is most definitely for breakfast!

I meant for dessert (because they ARE for breakfast). Editted to post to reflect this. My bad.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
For anyone interested, my friend's mother once made Johnny Cakes (pancakes made with corn meal) and chipolte cole slaw and it was the best thing I've ever had. I could probably get that recipe. I really should.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

JFairfax posted:

I love american pancakes, sometimes I think I am in the mood for a full on lumberjack breakfast but more often than not that defeats me, and quite soon afterwards I regret my indulgence owing to the lump of what feels like cement in my stomach. bloody tasty though.

The key is not to overwhip the batter. It keeps the pancakes light. If it's too dense, you'll get that cement feeling. No good!

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Armadillo Tank posted:

So I rewatched the Silent Hill 2 let's play you guys did. About 10 episodes in door opening fatigue began to set in and you guys started to not talk about the game and just talk about anything else. Since you guys hated maria and didn't seem suscpicious about her until episode 13 the hospital part was a drag on fucks-to-give. When the inverted hospital started you could hear 19Letters just kind of sag in misery at going through the hospital he had just finished getting lost in. Up till the hospital you said that you guys like SH2.

I think silent hill fatigue is starting to set in with this game now. You have been ratting on it since the start (unlike SH2), but now it seems more defeated.

I like the let's play, but it seems that the gaps of time between when you actually play the game seem to have a negative affect on your understanding of what is happening and lead to confusion and getting lost.

Also I am going to start following cjacobs for his twitter jokes.

an overdue owl posted:

I enjoy the style you guys have, I'm a big fan! I've got to say, it kind of felt at points like you were actively trying not to talk about the game though! I think there was some interesting stuff going on in this episode, but you were both kind of zoned out. I guess if you're still not having much fun with it then I can't blame you really!
Personally, I think we do a pretty good job of talking about the game when there's actually something to talk about.

That being said, this game is 95% (or more) down time and 5% (or less) actual story/progression. Between the scant bits of actual context that the game gives, if we didn't come up with things to talk about this LP would be a HUGE BUMMER. Now, it's true that sometimes our conversations bleed over into things actually happening but, if this game were better about keeping us engaged the whole time, that wouldn't even be an issue.

There's kind of just nothing about the game interesting enough to discuss for more than a minute or two at a time.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

CJacobs posted:

Er... come again? I'm not Kyle or Keith!

edit: Last I checked, anyway. Maybe it happened overnight.

I thought that was unrelated. Either way you can follow me at @somethingdumb

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

mks5000 posted:

You are thinking of the Mystic Aquarium in Mystic Connecticut. It is in fact near *New* London Connecticut :eng101:

Did I not say New London? Because I definitely know New London. My Girlfriend and frequently stay in Norwich. And thanks! It totally is Mystic. THEY GOT MAD DEWGONGS THERE.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Jakuvious posted:

Would they be following you at @somethingdumb or simply following you @somethingdumb?

well, you'd have to go to @somethingdumb on twitter. i see what you're implying, though, but i can assure you that "@somethingdumb" is my handle and you can follow me at that handle.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
six of one, half a dozen of the other

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Man, that Mirror. I can't tell if the game was giving us the finger or they just didn't know how dumb that was.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

CJacobs posted:

I thought the controller pulsed when you were low on health but if it drains that fast then it probably happens too quick to notice. I will also agree that while it is a cool room with really cool effects, it's kind of a dick move to have it be completely pointless and also kill you.

The real issue is that they lock the door, then unlock the door without telling you. Well, one of the real issues.

It's still a dope room.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

eating only apples posted:

Of course they didn't, no one playing these games for the first time would even think those numbers were significant. They're far from important and there you go feeling the need to play know-it-all. Good job I guess.

We didn't end up figuring it out but we got pretty close. Close enough that we understood what we were supposed to get out of it.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Akratic Method posted:

For all I know you've already played through to the end, but if not, here's how to deal with those crawly guys that are pissing you off around the start of the video: drop beef jerky. I saw it in your inventory; you have 22 of them. Just lay one down, watch them go for it, then smash them with one big swing of the maul.

we tried that on the dogs several times because, you know, that makes sense. It didn't work so we never tried it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Story aside, I think that if Silent Hill 2 had any sort of competency in it's design we, by default, wouldn't have had to talk about bullshit the entire time. We take basically a whole episode about 3/4 of the way through the SH2 LP to talk about why we don't really like it.

Also, for your sake, if you're worried something you say might be taken the wrong way, consider rephrasing the parts that specifically mention how the person you're talking about made the worst thing you've ever seen. It's just, like, common sense. I mean, you're entitled to say whatever, but don't pretend you were trying to tread lightly.

• Locked thread