Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Snowdens Secret posted:

What are good rules for shooting pics at / near an airport without getting hassled by security? Do most airports have designated areas, and how would you find them? Do plane photogs have to get registered like Amtrak wants trainspotters to do?

I think some places (the UK tried it as I remember) will have registration type programs, but it's more or less an airport by airport deal. I've been hassled, but what I try to do is just be honest, don't get in anyone's way, and don't be stupid.

As far as designated areas, I don't know of many in my area besides LAX's famous Imperial Hill. Even so, I've done photography at way more airports beside that. I generally look at the lighting, look at the direction arrivals and departures are coming and going in, and just kind of improvise from there, but this strategy will work way better if you have the luxury of more than just one or two chances to visit an airport, which you might not have.

I'm way too tired and zoned out right now to do much contributing, but this is my area of interest so I'll contribute more later hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I've been doing this for several years. Civilian airliners have been my primary area of interest, but I think I want to get out to Miramar or El Centro for the military fast movers sometime.

If you see anything amazing that I've taken, you should assume that it's blind luck, I'm basically entirely self-taught and have a terrible habit of going out shooting in really dreadful high sunlight.

This was the first time I went spotting with the Canon 100-400L IS zoom telephoto. For a while it was kind of the favored lens for airliners.net's photographers, which is what sparked my interest in it, but I think it may have fallen out of favor a bit recently, and Canon is going to roll out a new version of it.

If you are new at this, I would recommend that you go for the good shot first, not the interesting/unusual airplane. That way, you're not on someone else's schedule for building familiarity with your locations and equipment, until you are ready to be. As far as I'm concerned, airshows are really the advanced course.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Phanatic posted:

What do you folks do for static displays?

For the most part it's all I can do to keep the clutter out. But just yesterday I was taking some pictures at the March Field museum, and I tried taking a couple photos from as low an angle as possible, sort of like I sometimes do for cars. I kind of like how some of it looks to be turning out, but I don't have anything up on the internet yet.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Powercube posted:

I'm asking someone who could see it. I'm calling bullshit on this rumor, there are so many 747s at PAE that someone probably just got confused.

Obama is supposed to be in Los Angeles today. So there's that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Apparently Red Flag is starting tomorrow. It's unlikely that I'll do it, but I'm somewhat tempted to make the trip over there and do some spotting. Has anyone here ever tried that? Any tips?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I photographed some Red Flag jets, for a little while. Cross-posting from TFR's Airpower thread:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

IceLicker posted:

'oley mackeral, these are spectacular. What are you shooting with?

Thank you!

I used a Canon 50D + 100-400L IS USM zoom.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

That looks like a pretty good airshow. I just saw the one down in El Centro so I passed it up, but I'm sad that I missed a U-2 (well, a U-2 relative, at least.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I got to see something very rare up close earlier this month:

880M (22M-3) ex-N48058 in Cincinnati
by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

Wow, how did you manage to dig that one up?

Anyway, I guess as long as this thread's here, I did go to the Chino air show last weekend, but the 90-degree weather and sun position relative to the show direction murdered my photos. I'm embarrassed to show them in the photography forum, maybe I'll post the more exotic hardware in the AI thread later. So instead here's the air show I went to before that, in El Centro:

So close…

I'm pretty happy about how they turned out given it was my first time trying to photograph the Blue Angels or anything similar, but I feel like my shooting technique still needs work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Planes of Fame TBM Avenger demonstration - a good chance to try and improve my propeller-blurring skills.

Look at all that leaking oil!

• Locked thread