Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Powercube posted:

Ahaha, what? Really Amtrak must've got sick of people hanging around the rail yards or something.

It's not like that with most airports. There are a few airports that seem to loathe spotters, but all of them are in New York City. The rule I find is avoid private property and never stop in a way that can block traffic. This often means parking on sideroads (but usually that's how you get closer)

Most airports will have rules about ladders that you will find out from security whether you want to or not.

There are some airports that have a location that just makes spotting a bitch (like SFO)- but if you are on public land you are usually fine.

I am sure other people will come in and tell me which east coast airports suck. I live closest to KPAE, and they love spotters- so I am pretty sheltered.

SFO can actually get some good shots of departing aircraft from the south end of the SF Bay trail, and you can get some great shots of planes on approach from coyote park in San Mateo. Unless they are doing one of their weird runway configurations at the time, they almost always take off and land over these two areas.

As for airports, the best thing to do would be to call airport security and see if there is a tailwatcher group there. Sometimes they are given access to areas most people can't normally get into (after they have been generally vetted), and you won't be hassled by security. Hell, I believe it was the Chicago group that even got a news article and praise from the TSA for what they are doing, although I don't know what the hell they are doing that helps fight terrorism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread