Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
:siren:THE GUIDE TO GLORANTHA IS OUT:siren:
:ducksiren:COME JOIN US ON IRC AT #cowgame on the SYNIRC SERVER FOR REAL-TIME DISCUSSION!:ducksiren:

Jenx posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/416625372/13th-age-in-glorantha

The 13th Age in Glorantha kickstarter has launched, and it's already picking up speed! If you're interested in the book (or just want more Glorantha stuff to be made in general) go pitch in!

Glorantha is the name of the RPG setting from prolific game designer, setting-monger, and shaman Greg Stafford, known for its mythological and anthropological focus. First introduced in the mid-70's with the war game "White Bear, Red Moon", which also introduced the barbaric Orlanthi and the expansionist Lunar Empire, the setting has grown and shifted over the 30+ years of its life so far, being the main setting for the various RuneQuest rulesets, and also the HeroQuest line.

Glorantha in the Third Age.

What makes Glorantha unique?
Greg Stafford has always had an interest in anthropology in our world, and so unlike the linguistic focus that exemplifies Tolkien' fantasy, Stafford's work has been mythologically focused. In Glorantha, the myths of the gods are all real, including the ones that contradict each other. Further, these myths have concrete expression in the cultural life of Gloranthan societies (at least the ones that aren't sorcerous Westerners), in that heroes can enter into the Godplane to reenact these myths, and should they succeed, do anything from help push back a malevolent glacier from overwhelming the world to bringing the dead back from the underworld. Myths have power in Glorantha, and one sect of incredibly powerful wizards known as the God Learners created a great empire by learning, using, and abusing the myths.

Humans in Glorantha are usually broken into a few major groupings:

Orlanthi, brave and war-like followers of the Storm King Orlanth and his Earth Queen Ernalda. Orlanth became King of the gods when he used his new weapon Death to slay the Bad Emperor, showing his might and courage. But when it seemed as if all creation would be destroyed by Chaos, he embarked on the Lightbringer's Quest with his chosen companions, and received the blessing of the Emperor, who returned to the world above. Orlanthi generally live in clans of 500-2500 people, sometimes coming together to form larger tribes, which in turn make up their kingdoms. For Orlanthi, the clan is the family, and there can be no greater crime than to commit kinstrife, for to do so breaks the bonds that keep Chaos, the primal destruction, at bay. Murder and wounds are dealt with weregild, and justice ensured by the clan.
Major Orlanthi Regions: Sartar, Tarsh, Ralios, Heortland, Esrolia, Umathela, Fronela

Pelorians live in the north-central region of Genertela, the great northern continent, in the flood-plains of the river Oslira. Rigid and hierarchical, they worship Yelm, the Bright Sun. Yelm is the incorruptible sovereign, perfect and unchangeable, whose Celestial Court orders the world as it should be, and whose descendant, the Emperor of Dara Happa, rules the earth in his image. Dara Happa is the major Pelorian state, though their control over the other lands around the heartland has fluctuated depending on the dynasty in charge. In the "present" Dara Happa and all Peloria are ruled by the Lunar Empire, whose Goddess the Red Moon decreed that "We Are All Us", a creed somewhat at odds with the traditional smug satisfaction of Dara Happa, but is balanced with the concrete rewards of ruling over many distant lands.
Major Divisions: Dara Happa, Carmania, Saird, Sylila

The West of Glorantha is slightly peculiar, in that they are monotheists, holding that Makan, the Creator God, worked several Actions to create Glorantha. Malkion, the True Being of Law, gave Laws to man, but the exact nature of those laws is disputed by many and over many centuries. Western magic is based on sorcery, their spells direct and repeatable, unlike the fickle and unconstant magic of the heathens. Once they ruled the great Middle Sea Empire, and the God Learners codified and introduced many schemae and classifications of magic and myth, but now true sorcery is restricted to a few places including Seshnela, under the rule of half-barbarian kings; Loskalm, a utopia that must now fight off their antithesis in the Kingdom of War; and Brithos, island of the immortals.
Important Realms: Seshnela, Loskalm, Brithos, Umathela, Vadeli Isles

The Doraddi live on the plains of southern Pamaltela, stretching from Tarien to Kohar. They are split into various societies, but they are generally spirit-talkers (though a great host of them went north to Genertela to fight the Chaos God Gbaji and are now sorcerors).

Beyond humans, there are other civilizations on Glorantha, including:
Trolls, or Uz, are creatures of the night. Due to an ancient curse, they rarely breed true, and for every Dark Troll is born many stunted and unthinking Trollkin. Trolls can eat anything, but like it when they can eat fresh meat, whether its beast or man. Not to say they are evil, for many trolls have been friends to humans, especially the demigod the Only Old One, who once ruled the Shadow Plateau and held the Orlanthi Hendriking kings as his friends and allies. Trolls are perhaps the fiercest fighters of Chaos, and can be found throughout Glorantha.
Dwarfs, or Mostali, are creatures of the earth. Each of them works from birth to try and repair the World Machine, which has broken down since the Golden Age, and must be repaired or else everything will fall apart. Inventors of the metal Iron, which they made specifically to harm Elves and Trolls, they are jealous of their inventions, and have often intervened in the world above to set plans in motion to make sure what's theirs stays theirs.
Elves, or Aldryami, are thinking plants, and live almost entirely in their dense and dangerous forests. This puts them into conflict with many of the other races, for all of them have need of wood for whatever reason. As the Hero Wars begin, the Elves seek the Reforestation, a great and cataclysmic campaign...
Finally, Dragonnewts are inscrutable and enigmatic creatures. They possess strange magic, and can call upon the great and terrible Dragons as their friends. Can and will do completely uncomprehensible and inhuman acts, for no reason known to man. Not to be trusted, and not to be trifled with.

Rulesets Past and Present
Glorantha started off using the RuneQuest set, a percentage-die based system that's now on its 6th iteration. RuneQuest 6 is currently in the hands of The Design Mechanism. Moon Design, by contrast, has chosen to use the narrativist HeroQuest system (now on its 2nd ed) as its default system. But one of the great things about Glorantha is that it can fit into many different rule sets, all depending on how you want to run your game.

Non-P&P Glorantha
So far, Glorantha has found a fruitful expression in the computer game King of Dragon Pass, by developer A Sharp. Taking control of an Orlanthi clan in the lands that would become the kingdom of Sartar, you have to deal with the trials and tribulations that beset the Resettlement of Dragon Pass. A fanstastic game, and highly recommended.

What's new in Glorantha?
Well, according to Jeff Richards, head of Moon Design, the new stewards of the Glorantha library, the Guide to Glorantha will be coming out around Christmas. This will be a rules-free setting guide to just about everything there is on Glorantha, including the usually-neglected lands outside Genertela, as well as updates to various regions that haven't been touched for years. One example is the West - where earlier publications took, say, Seshnela as basically Medieval England, the Guide will push a far more Indo-Hellenic vibe. It should be exciting to get our hands on it!
Edit: THE GUIDE TO GLORANTHA IS OUT!! After some delays and tribulations, the Guide is out in pdf form, and will be shipped out physically soon! Now the folks at Moon Design are working on the massive tome of comparative Gloranthan religions - The Gods of Glorantha!

Anyway, in this thread I'm hoping folks can talk about anything to do with Glorantha - your games and campaigns, your favorite lore, questions that could be answered, anything like that! If you'd like to talk on IRC, #cowgame on SynIRC is where we hang out and talk about duck deathlords.

Finally: Hail Argrath! Curse Shepelkirt!

Friar John fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Man, I hadn't heard of this and it looks really cool. How should I begin to introduce this to my group?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Blacktoll posted:

Man, I hadn't heard of this and it looks really cool. How should I begin to introduce this to my group?
There are a couple of ways, depending on your group. Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes and Pavis: Gateway to Adventure are kind of explicit "get you into the setting" books, and I think they're pretty good. Lots of adventure hooks, but not enough stuff to bury your group under lore that's not immediately relevant.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
For people starting off, I would recomend the Sartar:Kingdom of Heroes sourcebook.

It's set in one of the most detailed areas, and concentrates on the storm worshipping Orlanthi barbarians, who are often people's first introduction to the game.

Rulewise, the book is intended to be used with the HeroQuest second edition ruleset, but given how narrativist and ruleslight that system is, the book should present little difficulty with being used with the system of your choice.

As a sourcebook, it contains several good maps of the area, a description of the various cultures found there, from the Orlanthi, through the Lunar invaders, and even the Ducks. It also comes with a campaign, but your milage may vary on that, I've found it a bit too railroad-focused for my tastes.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, probably the best part about Glorantha is the extensive mythology behind it, and how it ties into the magic system. Take, for instance, this random myth told by Storm Tribe about their chief god, Orlanth.

The Stafford Library: Volume XI | The Book of Heortling Mythology | Page 57 posted:

The New Music

In the earliest days there was only one way to do things. The rules of Life were dictated from the Emperor's Palace, a place with great towers that gleamed with its own golden light.

But one day Orlanth went to the Emperor's Palace for music. The imperial musicians played upon high-pitched and highly-strung instruments, and everyone liked it. When everyone as finished Orlanth got up. He had a new instrument, a horn, which could sound like the squeaky instruments if it wanted to, or it could sound like things that no one had ever heard. He played it then. Everyone was stunned, for a moment, not being sure if they liked it or not, since it was not something which was even mentioned in any of the Emperor's Laws, and so they had not been told how to react.

The Emperor was the first to react, and he did not like the music. “It is not music,” he said, and made a law that forbade it at his concerts. But the musicians went to other places and played it, and so the Emperor made new laws and forbade it from being played anyplace inside his realm. So it was played outside of his realm only, and when the Emperor sent people to silence it they got lost in the wilderness, or sometimes even discovered they liked it themselves. And in that way the new music and ways of doing things gradually entered into practice among those of the Emperor's court who were usually outside of his attention.

An Orlanth worshiper could use this story as the basis for magic, using magical bagpipe playing to undermine traditional authority and inspire new ways of doing things.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Seriously, if you want a good intro to the setting read any of the KoDP let's plays. Informative and amusing!

Another random tidbit: In the Orlanthi Pantheon, Lhankor Mhy is the god of knowledge, tradition, and legal advice. He is widely hailed as a pedantic nitpicker with no equal. Since he is bearded, all of his initiates must have beards. Does this mean that women aren't allowed to enter his service? Hell no. It means they have to wear elaborate fake beards. As long as that requirement's fulfilled he's more than happy to teach you the mystical secrets of writing.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 31, 2013

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
And keep in mind, Lhankorings aren't just some backwards people who learned how to write and think themselves all high and mighty. Most successful Sages are very knowledgeable, and possess documents and knowledge that most of the world considers lost, like secrets and magic from the old empire of the God Learners. (This knowledge is, of course, treated like it's depleted uranium, since if used wrong it will have about the same effect on the population)

Edit: Unless one of the resident Loreposters wants to take a shot at it, I might do a write up on the Praxian animal nomads, since I really like those folks and I find their lack in the front post to be a big mistake.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Benagain posted:

Seriously, if you want a good intro to the setting read any of the KoDP let's plays. Informative and amusing!

Another random tidbit: In the Orlanthi Pantheon, Lhankor Mhy is the god of knowledge, tradition, and legal advice. He is widely hailed as a pedantic nitpicker with no equal. Since he is bearded, all of his initiates must have beards. Does this mean that women aren't allowed to enter his service? Hell no. It means they have to wear elaborate fake beards. As long as that requirement's fulfilled he's more than happy to teach you the mystical secrets of writing.

This is cool. The other cool thing like that is the duckmen. They worship the Orlanthi pantheon too. In Dragon Pass they are strong adherents to the god of death, Humakt. Does this mean they worship Humakt in duck form? Nope. He's a guy wearing a fake duck bill held on by string.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neurosis posted:

This is cool. The other cool thing like that is the duckmen. They worship the Orlanthi pantheon too. In Dragon Pass they are strong adherents to the god of death, Humakt. Does this mean they worship Humakt in duck form? Nope. He's a guy wearing a fake duck bill held on by string.

I am pretty sure most of that comes from the old Mongoose publications for Glorantha. I think in the current "canon" of the lore, ducks just worship the Orlanthi pantheon as it is, though with just slightly different names.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
The Pavis book is also a good setting for starting players, it has its share of weirdness but it is perhaps a bit more focused than Sartar. Also, if you can find the Pavis companion - booklets give them a look, they have some quite good articles.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Time for a loredump from Haifisch's current LP (i am taking the title as :justpost: rules)

On Keets -

nutranurse posted:

Keets

Introduction & The Mythic Origins of the Keets

So I heard y'all good Orlanthi would like to learn more about the lesser-known cousins of the Duck-Duruluz: Keets. Well. They'r just like the Duckmen, but not at all because they are not entirely worthy of scorn, derision, and ridicule. This is the first part of what will probably be a few installations on the Keets, and maybe the first of a whole series on random bits about Glorantha. I own a whole crap ton of books and pdfs for the RuneQuest series (not that I have ever played a game, I just like reading about this stuff because I'm so hopelessly a nerd) and can delve into them to find out more about Glorantha's history.

I am just going to assume you guys know the myths surrounding the Duruluz's creation (The Celestial Court & The First Egg), their pantheon (The Nest of Eight), and their lost-homeland (Ganderland), because while that stuff is important, it's not immediately relevant to understand the mythic origins of the Keets.

See, the Keets are kind of the bastard offspring of Grandmother Duck and Vrimak. See, when those two got busy their lovemaking was so awesome that the magical shockwaves caused some avians to ascend into godhood and dominion over their kind. Among these new Duruluz-Deities, henceforth known as Keets, are Grandfather Flamingo, Prince Heron, Albatros, Sunbill the Puffin, and High Crowned Pelican. Each of these Keet-gods ruled over the main Keet-branches that existed in the time-before-time: Flamingos, Heros, Gulls, Auks, and Pelicans.

Grandfather Flamingo can be said to have been analogous in prestige (though, perhaps, not in power) as Grandmother Duck. He was, for instance, the first bird to acquire a brilliant plumage after he colored himself to reflect the first sunrise that rose over his homeland, the Delicate Swamp. Like Grandmother Duck, it was from his loins that the proud Flamingo peoples sprung, and Grandfather Flamingo took great pride in coloring each of his offspring the same vibrant pink as his own plumage. These first chicks he named the Phoenics and for a time they lived in the Delicate Swamp in a similar blissful state that the first ducks (the True Duruluz, the winged-ones who could fly) enjoyed in Ganderland.

Then poo poo fell apart.

The Coming of Prince Heron

One of the chicks that emerged from Grandfather Flamingo's children's egg was not the colorful Phoenic that he had become so proud of, but a stark white, gangly bird with an abnormally long and sharp bill. In short, an abomination.

Grandfather Flamingo was nothing less than horrified. His disgust was so great that in his haste to shun the creature by turning his back on it one of his tail feathers fell off and drifted into the reach of the tiny hatchling. Though newborn, the chick was not stupid. He quickly snatched up Grandfather Flamingo's feather, and in that one swift motion ascended fully into godhood. Prince Heron's children would forever be known to all Duruluz as agile opportunists whose speed and skill was tempered by their wisdom.

Grandfather Flamingo soon thereafter learned of Prince Heron's newly acquired godhood and, fearing the race of ugly, plain birds the young godling would bring into the world, he flew into a rage. In his anger he turned to the other birds of the marshes and coast lands, asking them to aid him in extinguishing the plain-birds. The coastal keets, however, would not come to Flamingo's aid. Conferring among themselves, Albatros, Sunbill the Puffin, and High Crowned Pelican each found their own reason to not stir themselves from their paradise.

High Crowned Pelican, the most gluttonous of his brothers, had just eaten a tremendous feast to celebrate the coming of his own children, and so was full to bother waging a war. Sunbill was already busy with keeping his own people from fighting among themselves over which auks, puffins, and penguins had the finest feathers. Albatros, a powerful seer (in fact, the most powerful seer among the all Duruluz) had not only seen the outcome of Grandfather Flamingo's war but all wars that would forever come and the plight all Duruluz would soon face. So distraught was he at his knowledge that he scaterred his gull-children to all corners of existence in a vain effort to prevent the evils that were to come. Albatros grew so depressed that his own plumage and that of his children grew dingy and gray. Needless to say, he did not come to Flamingo's aid, but instead (futilely) tried to stop Grandfather Flamingo from waging his doomed war.

Though he lacked the aid of his fellow gods, Grandfather Flamingo and his Phoenics nonetheless launched their war to cleanse existence of the ugly Prince Heron and his children. The fighting between the two great flocks was bitter and vicious; so incensed were the Pheonics, in fact, that they began to stand upon one leg to mock the natural stance of Prince Heron and his children. Not one to be outdone (despite his unassuming plumage), Prince Heron painted his children in every drab shade of white, brown, grey, and black to further enrage the haughty Grandfather Flamingo.

In little time the Delicate Swamp became a wasteland, forever stained by the fowl blood of Heron and Pheonic alike.

Birds of a Feather Actually Just Tend to Wage Endless Wars on Each Other

While this great war raged (and, in fact, expanded in scope to begin to trouble the coastal-keets) Grandmother Duck wandered into the Delicate Swamp on her reed boat (for the ducks did not swim at this time, preferring to fly). Grandfather Flamingo, seeing in Grandmother Duck an equal and a way to turn the tides in his favor, prevailed upon her to join him in his war, but Grandmother Duck refused spill the blood of any of her kin. She quickly left the Delicate Swamp, but Prince Heron followed her, hoping to find a new home in Ganderland's paradise. Upon seeing flocks of herons fly toward the Spike, Grandfather Flamingo believed himself deceived by Grandmother Duck's supposed neutrality and that the ducks had joined the herons in war against him. (An Aside: It was also at this time that Duru, later known as Duru-Orlanth, was ejected from the Keetlands by a wrathful Grandfather Flamingo).

Grandfather Flamingo turned to his sea-side brothers once again for help, and this time he convinced them that the herons were a threat now that the ugly-birds were supposedly allied with the mighty ducks. The coastal-Keets joined Flamingo's war, though there were still hesitant to commit themselves fully and would only fight the herons and ducks in their lands.

Meanwhile, Prince Heron was turned away from Ganderland by Grandmother Duck, who wanted no part in the Keetswar. She chastised him for following her uninvited and Prince Heron, just as proud and haughty as his father, grew enraged and moved to attack Grandmother Duck with his sword-pointed bill. In the blink of an eye (yes, ducks can blink, I had to Google this and in doing so learned something today!) Deathdrake and Stormbill were before their mother, weapons ready to defender her. Prince Heron—rightly—thought the two ducks to be too strong for him to fight alone and so retreated back to the Delicate Swamp.

On his flight back Prince Heron told his children of the unfriendly ducks, thus solidifying the enmity between duck and heron. Likewise, Grandfather Flamingo's efforts had poisoned the rest of Keet-kind against the blameless ducks, and the Duruluz would forever be split between Duck and Keet.

Above is the Duruluz's family tree, roughly plotting out what birds come from what gods. Next time I'll finish up the Duruluz War and move onto the fall of the Keets (and, more importantly, the Ducks) from their paradises into the Dark Times when Chaos ran rampant.

On Nysalor/Arkat/Gbajji

Fuligin posted:

I'll give this one a shot. In very broad strokes:

In the first age, time has been instituted, the world is saved, everything is chill... almost. But some people, of all different races, wonder if it's possible to get back to the Golden Age, a time when everything was perfect, the world was in harmony, and Chaos didn't exist. In a land called Dorastor, located north of Dragon Pass, these representative individuals came together and performed a series of great rituals that culminated in the Sunstop. For a few hours the sun stood still in the sky, time and magic across the world freaked out, and in its aftermath the god Nysalor, otherwise known as Osentalka ("The Bright One"), was born. Nysalor was a being of perfect peace. No one lives now who can explain precisely what was so special about him, other than that he taught the secrets of Illumination for the first time; but in his realm people were happy and liberated in a way that cannot be expressed to outsiders. His missionaries spread throughout the world; to the Orlanthi they taught that Nysalor was the "High Storm", to the Dara Happans that he was the "High Sun." He taught Orlanthi that order and discipline were sometimes necessary, and the Happans that change and growth were facts of existence. All people benefited from his rule, and those who sought to destroy him out of fear and ignorance were made to see the grace of his light. Or they were annihilated.

In the far west his riddling missionaries came and expounded on doctrine, until a great plague spread throughout the land. They cured it, and for their kindness were accused of spreading disease. The demon Gbaji, known to the deluded by the name of Arkat, whipped these rumors into hysteria and killed Nysalor's priests. He led armies east, one after another, even as they were slaughtered again and again by the righteous. But he never gave up, and his evil was strong; even death did not stop him. First he wore the skin of a westerner. When their armies were too broken to continue he discarded them and insinuated himself among unruly and gullible Orlanthi rebels. He told them he was the Humaktson, and worshipped their gods, and with them brought great pain and horror to realms previously held under the benevolent auspices of Nysalor. When they, too, were exhausted to the point of death, he shed them and came to the trolls. He made their cannibal priests cut him up and put him back together into something even more horrible.

With these new armies of night he raided hard into Dorastor itself. He killed Nysalor's son and champion, so that the god might suffer a little more, and then he killed the Bright One too. Then Gbaji cursed the land and ruined it with the chaos that ever followed him. There are some who might tell you otherwise, and make outrageous claims about Gbaji, but they are liars. Arkat was a demon that destroyed the world's last hope for a return to harmony. You will know it in the fruit of his works, which were solely destructive, for spite was all he knew.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, if you're some kinda Chaos-worshipping filth or something.

Well, I jest, but the other side of the story told by the people who didn't go along with the God Project claims that Nysalor was in fact the God of Bright Chaos, also known as Gbaji the deciever, a reincarnation of the Teller of Lies which was an ancient Chaos spirit that was defeated by Elmal during the Great Darkness.

Anywho, Arkat the Liberator rose up against Gbaji the Deciever, whose evil and Chaos-tainted ways were threatening the world itself. As proof of this, one of Gbaji's lieutenants called Lokamayadon even tried to usurp the position of Orlanth himself as the God of Air and outlawed all worship of him. Arkat performed mighty Heroquests and became pretty badass all things considered, but he was defeated when he challenged Gbaji and cast down to the underworld.

Now, you can't keep a good man down, and so the hero Harmast Barefoot performed the Lightbringers Heroquest and brought back Arkat with him so that he could continue his fight against Gbaji.

This is when he became Arkat the Traitor. He went over to the trolls and had their magicians perform some magic rite which transformed himself to a troll and gave him even greater powers over Darkness. His motivations were probably to get in on the kickass anti-Chaos magic that the trolls have. In any case, Arkat was so kickass at this point that he led the troll armies into Dorastor and finally defeated Gbaji.

Of course, at this point he was pretty much barely better than Gbaji himself, and the Orlanthi weren't too happy about his deeds, but on the other hand he defeated Chaos so all's well that ends well.

On how to gently caress things up

BryanChavez posted:

I feel that if you've learned anything by now, you should have learned that true Orlanthi don't check to make sure - they leap into action immediately, doom the whole world to destruction, and only realize their error just in time.

On Orlanth and Ernalda

BryanChavez posted:

Contest.

So, why did Great Ernalda, who could have chosen any god she wanted as her husband and beloved, pick Orlanth, the youngest son of a violent storm god?

Many gods wanted Ernalda for their own. She had many lovers before Orlanth, but never shared her secrets with them, and never gave all of herself to any. The Bad Emperor sought to take her by force, but he could not have her, because he was filled with jealousy, like all of the Fire Tribe are. Argan Argar was her lover, but he was filled with fear, as are all of the Night Tribe. Ernalda instead brought Argan Argar and her sister, Esrola, together, which was a much better match. Vestkarthan, the Volcano God, came to her as well, but he was greedy, just like all of the gods in the Earth Tribe.

But Orlanth was not jealous, afraid, or greedy. He proved this in his contests, and so Ernalda showed him her secrets, and gave herself as fully to him as he gave himself to her. She made the Year Marriage so that they could wed, and taught him how to be a king, and how to use his natural capacity for destruction and change for good purposes.

When Orlanth was gone, she again had many suitors, and since she and Orlanth were no longer married during this time, she took some as lovers and some as protectors. Orlanth had no jealousy, so this wasn't a problem. Ernalda was always clever, and made sure that her lovers and protectors at this time would guard the Storm Tribe in the absence of the Storm King. Finally, when Vingkot brought Orlanth back to the Storm Tribe, Orlanth chased off the most wicked of the gods who had gathered in his tula, fell to his knees before Ernalda, and offered himself to her once more. She accepted, and the Storm Tribe was whole again.

On the origin of Lunars

BryanChavez posted:

The Lunar Empire comes from the birth of the Red Goddess, which happened inside of Time. She was born when a cabal of like-minded individuals sought to recover lost magic from the Gods Age. They brought into being She Who Has Come, and in time, she was a young girl, a young woman, a demigod, and then a goddess in her own right. She healed Peloria, and preached acceptance, and freed her people. She fought against those who would oppress those she came from. Eventually, she knew that this was not enough, and so she went on one of the greatest Heroquests ever undertaken.

She went to places that gods can't reach, and battled demons and deities, both with arguments of philosophy and in true combat. Everywhere she went, she succeeded, and proved that she was a goddess and that her wisdom was correct. Her quest took years, but when she returned, she used her insights, and her new steed, the Crimson Bat, to save her followers and forge an Empire for them to call their own. Quickly, this Empire began to expand due to its philosophies of all-inclusion. The other gods were roused by this, and that they could react at all is evidence that the Red Goddess and Chaos are intermingled, as it's one of the few things that lets Gods get around the Cosmic Compromise.

She is Chaotic, obviously, yes. She incarnates what's called the Death of Gods, into herself, into Life. It breaks the Compromise, but is still true.

When she ascended into the Heavens, she left behind the Lunar Empire. It had conquered the Dara Happans, and as a society, it still holds a great deal of Solar influence, but a lot of this has been chipped away - one of TakenEgi's first acts, for instance, was passing laws for the rights of Dara Happan women. There's a growing argument within the Lunar Way about whether to hold onto the Dara Happan Empire as a vehicle to continue spreading its word, or whether now is the time to let the Empire rot so that the Lunar Way can truly blossom. But for now, the Lunars look very Solar because they intentionally aped Solar ways. But you'll see vast representation from all pantheons within its borders, including Storm ones (save for Orlanth). The current commander of the Provincial Lunar Army in Dragon Pass, for instance, is a Tarshite, and is meticulous in the proper worship of his ancestors. Some units in the Lunar Army include those who worship Sakkar, a sabretoothed cat spirit, and Sable riders that worship the Praxian tradition combined with some Lunar spirits.

As for the gardener, he's got a bit of evidence. He seems to have hung around for awhile, at least.

I'm going to stop quoting Bryan Chavez, just read all his posts, but here's his thoughts on Glorantha Metal

BryanChavez posted:

Depends on the gods. Orlanth will be jamming out, and Ernalda will appreciate the raw grit of your rock, so they'll definitely accept worship. Yelm will not appreciate this new kind of music at all, so no sacrifices will be allowed, especially if it leads to forbidden dancing. Eurmal will be at the back, screaming "FREEBIRD!" at random, but if you have enough booze at the concert, I think he'd come around. In general, you'll find the Orlanthi pantheon will approve of songs of love and slaughter and will therefore accept all sacrifices offered, except for Chalana Arroy, who will be rolling her eyes in the corner the whole time, wondering why Elmal brought her in the first place.

And the best post

Mr. Maltose posted:

Maybe I will.

Zzabur sighed as he unsheathed his rune power. Those Jrusteli had gotten too haughty this time. Better teach them a lesson now.

EDIT: Xeotam owes everything to crashing at Zzabur's pad for a year and we both know it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jenx posted:

I am pretty sure most of that comes from the old Mongoose publications for Glorantha. I think in the current "canon" of the lore, ducks just worship the Orlanthi pantheon as it is, though with just slightly different names.

No... NO. This had better be loving changed in the Guide to Glorantha.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
Ohhh poo poo I swear I was just making a topic for general Glorantha discussion, I was going to be done with it in 2015, you really took the winds out of my sails, Friar John.

Friar John posted:

The West of Glorantha is slightly peculiar, in that they are monotheists, holding that Makan, the Creator God, worked several Actions to create Glorantha.

Let's talk about a couple of important things in Glorantha, one of which relates to this. Only the Rokari and God Learners, two sects of Malkioni belief, would agree with this. Others would argue that Makan is not the name of the Invisible God at all, or that Makan is actually the name of the evil Demiurge that obscures access to the true Hidden Mover, or that the world was created by natural processes called the Prime Mover, and the idea of it having intelligence is absurd. There are some Malkioni who aren't even monotheists, and allow for the worship of other gods and spirits. Hell, there are amphibious Malkioni with blue-green skin that also worship the Water Tribe and use ships made out of the corpses of dragons. One of the things that makes this world both very deep and very complex is that when you say something about one group, you're talking in very general terms. On one hand, it makes the world feel very real. On the other hand, it's been a clusterfuck to get a real sense of the entire world, so thank god that the Guide to Glorantha is about to come out. You're all living in a blessed time.

The other thing that probably could be in the OP is that the world is made up of associations of Runes. If you're a Theist, and gain your power from worship and sacrifice to the gods, you receive magic based on the runic affinities of the god - Ernalda is Earth, Life, and Harmony, for instance, while Humakt is Death and Truth. If you're an Animist, and gain your power by binding spirits to your service, you receive magic based on which rune those spirits are associated with - there are Death spirits, Darkness spirits, Fire spirits, and so on. If you're a Wizard, and gain your power through the use of spells codified in grimoires, you're able to logically comprehend and manipulate the Runes based on the procedures and techniques found in each book. Everyone in Glorantha is composed of Runes. Trolls are a mixture of the Darkness and Man runes, Elves are a mixture of Plant and Man, etc. In the Heroquest set of rules, you also start with three Runes that are most important to your character, which determines what kinds of magic they can learn.

Neurosis posted:

No... NO. This had better be loving changed in the Guide to Glorantha.

I believe that while most of the Mongoose stuff is decidedly non-canon, to the point where Jeff Richard seems to approach spitting bile whenever he mentions the books they've wrote, that it's still canonical that the Ducks believe that the Orlanthi gods were, like the Ducks, cursed to pathetic existence in humiliating human shape for some reason or another. I figure this allows for gods with fake duck bills. Your Glorantha Will Vary.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

One thing we've been discussing in IRC, which disappointed me to no end was Kralorela is still just Fantasy China, with the dragons, and the emperors, and the clothing, and the rice and the fuckin' chopsticks. I really expected more out of this.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

BryanChavez posted:

Ohhh poo poo I swear I was just making a topic for general Glorantha discussion, I was going to be done with it in 2015, you really took the winds out of my sails, Friar John.
:c00l: It's up to good Chaos-hating Orlanthi to pick up the slack of Lunar-friends.

If you're disappointed something isn't in the OP you should post about them. If it's good enough I might edit the OP! :colbert:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought humans were all made of every rune, it's just some were more prominent in an individual than others?

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Friar John posted:

If you're disappointed something isn't in the OP you should post about them. If it's good enough I might edit the OP! :colbert:

Well maybe I will, blind slave to Orlantus' meaningless rebellion. Maybe I will.

The Sharmat posted:

I thought humans were all made of every rune, it's just some were more prominent in an individual than others?

Yeah, that's true. Our form rune, which decides our shape, is the Man rune (for Trolls, that's Darkness + Man, for Dwarfs, Stasis + Man, and so on). Our breath is Air, our blood is Water, our flesh and bones is Earth, our shadow is Darkness, and our heat is Sky. Our temperament is the conflict between Death and Life, Truth and Illusion, Harmony and Disorder, and Stasis and Movement. As a fun side-effect of this, the fact that most of our mass is composed of Earth is one of the explanations for 'gravity' - being made mostly of Earth, we're more inclined to be drawn towards it.

BryanChavez fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 1, 2013

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Speaking of Glorantha in different rules-sets, I've had a few idle conversations with friends about the Fate Core system and how to adapt it to Glorantha. If there's an interest, I could do a series of posts here about how to go about doing that.

In some respects I like how Fate Core takes players out of the "what is written on my sheet that would let me accomplish X" mindset and moves them towards constructing stories with the GM. Then again, most of my past visits to Glorantha were under RQ 3 rules...

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Narsham posted:

Speaking of Glorantha in different rules-sets, I've had a few idle conversations with friends about the Fate Core system and how to adapt it to Glorantha. If there's an interest, I could do a series of posts here about how to go about doing that.

In some respects I like how Fate Core takes players out of the "what is written on my sheet that would let me accomplish X" mindset and moves them towards constructing stories with the GM. Then again, most of my past visits to Glorantha were under RQ 3 rules...
I looked at Fate a little bit, but I'd love to see how it could be adapted for Glorantha.
So...
:siren::justpost::siren:

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Narsham posted:

Go for it, man. I'm currently running Glorantha in FAE, just by noting down cults and runes, and using those to expand the scope and power of the six standard approaches. I'd like to see how you'd do it with Core.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Tulip posted:

And the best post

Just stopping by to remind everyone that Zzabur/Azabur is the best ever. Who ended the great Age of Darkness, known in the west as the Ice Age? Zzabur, by casting the Ritual Of The Great Web, which also had the bonus effect of blowing the poo poo out of the evil Vadeli and giving the people of Danmalastan and abundance of beachfront property. Who defeated the Devil the Orlanthi barbarians call Wakboth? Zzabur, who cast the Great Inundation upon his armies at Soruvela.

Who beat up the Middle Sea Empire? drat near everyone, but it was Zzabur who CURSED THE OCEAN to do it. It would take quite a while for anyone to figure out how to get around that one.

EDIT: Realtalk, Zzabur is a total dick. But he's also a cool guy to bat for because unlike everyone else in the setting he's cool with hanging out on the Island of Sperg Partying instead of dicking with anyone else.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Uh it's spelled "He, Zzabur".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mr. Maltose posted:

EDIT: Realtalk, Zzabur is a total dick. But he's also a cool guy to bat for because unlike everyone else in the setting he's cool with hanging out on the Island of Sperg Partying instead of dicking with anyone else.

I am wondering if you could set this schpiel to the "shaft" theme tune.

Also lets have a quick mention of Not!China that is Kralorela. The differences between the place and actual Han dynasty china can be counted relatively easily, for one the emperor is an immortal golden dragon who is part of a large illumination/ enlightenment idea that permeates most of the culture. Alongside this is the whole "two-fold path" idea wherein the nearby dragon-newts and the Kralorelans each respects each others ways and do not attempt to interfere or interact in any way with each other becoming part of the Universal dragon. The reason for this will probably best be seen when the Empire of Wyrms/Empire Without Friends gets a mention.

The problem with Kralorela is the fact that it is so painfully generic as to be almost a none entity, whilst one of the foremost examples of combining both Theistic god worship with the mystic idea of enlightenment it comes across as a straight copy of early Chinese Dynasties that it is as if the writers did not even bother. There are good reasons for this no doubt, but the fat that they appear as a much more straight up copy of an existent culture as opposed to the Celtic-phonecian-mediteranian Orlanthi or the Iranian-Isrealite-Posh French Bastard Dara Happas kind of makes them about as much fun to play as a hammer to the knee-cap.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, Kralorela gets hella interesting during the reign of Godunya. But that's entirely because Godunya's reign could easily be renamed The Time Where Sheng Seleris Wanted Kralorela. Sheng Seleris makes everything interesting. Interesting and unpleasant.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mr. Maltose posted:

To be fair, Kralorela gets hella interesting during the reign of Godunya. But that's entirely because Godunya's reign could easily be renamed The Time Where Sheng Seleris Wanted Kralorela. Sheng Seleris makes everything interesting. Interesting and unpleasant.

Sheng Seleris, Ghengis Khan without the fun.

Speaking of I really do think they should intergrate some of the more fun aspects of chinese history, for instance the overlooked T'ang Dynasty "directed trade" with outsiders, the commissions, female high priests and "spin the bottle" style drinking games would all be great additions to it. Heck why not mix in some Rome and have it so that some areas only allow tests to be taken using swords.

I suppose it is only a mercy that, as far as I know, footbinding isn't in it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I have faith in Kralorela expanding as time goes on. The West has certainly done so, and with the new push forward with the Guide and assorted I wouldn't be surprised if Kralorela got its own book and expanded to be a much cooler melange like everything else in the setting.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Perhaps Kralorela is boring because Greg Stafford knows a lot less about China than other areas? Can't specialize in everything.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Yeah. Neither Kralorela or Vormain are terrible, they're just not up to snuff compared to the other regions of Glorantha. In almost any other big setting book, they'd be great if unoriginal additions. I think that when we get a freelancer team on the Kralorela & Vormain book, they could do a lot to make the sparse and re-heated region into something as unique as anything else in Genertela. The problem with the area, as it stands, is that I could definitely run a game there, but can't think of anything that would make it different from just running a standard wuxia game. Except that Dugu Qiubai would be a Humakti, which is admittedly pretty cool.

But hey, at least Teshnos is really awesome.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

This month's update on the guide was just posted. To summarize: they've laid out about 1/3rd of the pages, and are now expecting to be finished and sending out pdfs in December. Printed versions of the guide should be in people's hands sometime in January.

The Sharmat posted:

Perhaps Kralorela is boring because Greg Stafford knows a lot less about China than other areas? Can't specialize in everything.

Given that Greg Stafford once wrote a 429 page campaign covering the 80 years of king Arthur's reign in obsessive detail it's probably safe to say that he's more of a western history buff.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Which was also the problem with the West in the beginning. Dude loves Arthurian stuff.

To be fair, Pendragon is loving killer.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Links to add to the OP:

Glorantha's official website
The well-buried starting page for the unwieldy but informative official wiki
Glorantha on google plus
A pdf explaining the main runes

Mr. Maltose posted:

Which was also the problem with the West in the beginning. Dude loves Arthurian stuff.

To be fair, Pendragon is loving killer.

Well, no, actually. Apparently the whole "the west is medieval Europe" thing came around due to publishing pressures and Greg was quite unhappy with it.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
I may be in the minority in that I actually did like Jamie "Trotsky" Revell's version of Medieval Europe West, with wizard-knights, ritual initiations into saintly orders and passion play-like heroquests and all (the highlight of Trotsky's West for me was probably the order of fanatical elf-hating knights - armed with axes and sworn to strict vegetarianism as a way of spiting their enemies). It was a pretty interesting take on the theme, different from the usual "medieval" fantasy, though I agree the new one is even more original and distinctive.

The ideal West in my Glorantha is kind of a mix of the new Graeco-Bactrian and Indian stuff and the neater parts of the Medieval version anyway.

Also worth looking at, despite the sub-par site design and occasionally outdated information: Nick Brooke's site. The HeroQuest Voices used to be hosted there but can now be found on the official site, and they are also a must-read if you want to get a quick impression of the various cultures in Glorantha. The Elder Race bits are particularly tasty.

advokat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 2, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Sharmat posted:

Greg Stafford is also like, super super anthropologist-y, and anthropology more or less by definition is about "uncivilized" areas ('peripheries' is more fashionable). History is about places that were heavily populated and wrote alot and had long periods of stability, anthropology is about not-that. Kralorela is boring because Stafford isn't interested in states in general, he's at his best when it's shatter zones and the normal political units of history are largely absent.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

advokat posted:

I may be in the minority in that I actually did like Jamie "Trotsky" Revell's version of Medieval Europe West, with wizard-knights, ritual initiations into saintly orders and passion play-like heroquests and all (the highlight of Trotsky's West for me was probably the order of fanatical elf-hating knights - armed with axes and sworn to strict vegetarianism as a way of spiting their enemies). It was a pretty interesting take on the theme, different from the usual "medieval" fantasy, though I agree the new one is even more original and distinctive.

The ideal West in my Glorantha is kind of a mix of the new Graeco-Bactrian and Indian stuff and the neater parts of the Medieval version anyway.

The West still has Frankish influences with the Seshnegi, as 'barbaric' inheritors of a legacy that doesn't quite belong to them. The Safelsterans owe a lot to the Italian city-states of the medieval and renaissance periods. The Jonatelans obviously bear a lot of similarities to post-conversion Lithuania. I'm fine with involving some of Medieval Europe in Glorantha, especially in the West. It's just that 'Medieval Europe' in gaming (and popular thought in general) tends to be a bland mish-mash of several centuries and cultures stirred in a pot until all of the flavor has been boiled out of it. I'm happy that they're stripping out saints and churches, and not using the term 'knight', and things like that, because of all of the immediate baggage you get when you use those words. Plus, cataphracts, fāris, and clibanarii are way cooler than knights.

I thought that Trotsky's ideas for the West are pretty cool, and I'm glad they exist, but I'm also glad that they're not canonical.

BryanChavez fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 2, 2013

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

BryanChavez posted:

The West still has Frankish influences with the Seshnegi, as 'barbaric' inheritors of a legacy that doesn't quite belong to them. The Safelsterans owe a lot to the Italian city-states of the medieval and renaissance periods. The Jonatelans obviously bear a lot of similarities to post-conversion Lithuania. I'm fine with involving some of Medieval Europe in Glorantha, especially in the West. It's just that 'Medieval Europe' in gaming (and popular thought in general) tends to be a bland mish-mash of several centuries and cultures stirred in a pot until all of the flavor has been boiled out of it. I'm happy that they're stripping out saints and churches, and not using the term 'knight', and things like that, because of all of the immediate baggage you get when you use those words. Plus, cataphracts, fāris, and clibanarii are way cooler than knights.

I thought that Trotsky's ideas for the West are pretty cool, and I'm glad they exist, but I'm also glad that they're not canonical.

"Knights" just seem a bit more evocative and less cumbersome to say than "Men of All" to me, I guess. :v: And I'm not sure if it's really much worse than all the Greek terms in Dara Happa and all the Norse terms among the Orlanthi, which also can be a little misleading as to the nature of those cultures. But I think see your point(s).

What do they call the "churches" now? Sects?

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Oh yeah, wergild and thanes and skalds and all of that? Yeah, they might have changed those too. The Orlanthi aren't vikings, but the setting does itself no favors by using a shitload of Scandinavian and Anglo-Saxon terms for them. I think they're just embedded too deep to remove now, whereas the West had more of a chance to change things up. At the same time, those words all, at the very least, convey a sense of what the Orlanthi are. It can be misleading, but all of those words share a definition with what's in the setting itself. Whereas I rarely imagine (using the Seshnegi as an example) a stripped to the waist to show off his perfect physique, highly sensual warrior-philosopher when I hear 'knight'. And going to Loskalm, knight confuses the issue when you're talking about people who have risen to the rank via a strictly-enforced meritocracy, rather than being born to the position. Knight isn't a hot-button issue for me or anything, it just conveys a lot of dangerous assumptions about the oiled-up mustached philosopher-kings that you'll often find in the West.

And yeah, they're generally using sects now. Or heresy, obviously, if you disagree with them.

Edit: Hey, if anyone ever starts a Gloranthan metal band, consider Oiled-Up Mustached Philosopher-Kings. It does necessitate a specific look, so also consider working out a lot beforehand.

BryanChavez fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 2, 2013

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

BryanChavez posted:

Edit: Hey, if anyone ever starts a Gloranthan metal band, consider Oiled-Up Mustached Philosopher-Kings. It does necessitate a specific look, so also consider working out a lot beforehand.

Hell, even if it's not Glorantha themed - if you start a metal band, do that. Cos that'd be awesome.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I need to remember to but in with some Eurmal talk. As the greatest of the gods he needs some time.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I need to remember to but in with some Eurmal talk. As the greatest of the gods he needs some time.

I find that this wrute-up is a good introduction to the one true savior of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The kickstarter just updated with a few sneak peeks of the layout:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/224590870/the-guide-to-glorantha/posts/648417

• Locked thread