Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The perfect drug kinda sucks honestly

Niggy tardust is really good (and probably saul’s best album still)

Concur on both points. I maybe wouldn't say TPD sucks but I even like Deep better, as far as non-album tracks go.
And Saul's earlier stuff to Tardust is good, especially his self-titled, but I haven't been able to get into the albums that came after Tardust at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

Maybe it's as simple as just not wanting to do a ballad to drugs where he calls them perfect and himself helpless without them

That's my guess. Trent being in his mid 50s and still singing angsty lyrics is one thing, but it's probably crossing the line to sing about how cool and good doing drugs is when you're a recovering addict.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I always read TPD as being about a person or persons. It being literally about a drug seemed too on the nose.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Come on, he's clearly talking about a person and not drugs.

Also, Niggy Tardust does in fact own.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean it can be both. Even if you take the song as to be about a person, it still might be uncomfortable for a former addict to sing a love song where love and how it makes you feel is contextualized with drugs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

magiccarpet posted:

trent is still salty he took made a hip hop record with a spoken word artist and nobody bought it

It was really, really bad

About exactly as bad as you'd expect an album called Niggy Tardust to be

Good god drat that cover of Sunday Bloody Sunday was embarrassing

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean it can be both. Even if you take the song as to be about a person, it still might be uncomfortable for a former addict to sing a love song where love and how it makes you feel is contextualized with drugs.

Interestingly, The Lovers is about an addict sneaking away and going out, and the process of writing it and exploring that headspace did make Trent rather uncomfortable.

There’s a great Song Exploder episode about it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

precision posted:

It was really, really bad

About exactly as bad as you'd expect an album called Niggy Tardust to be

what the gently caress?!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I thought Niggy Tardust was excellent but that's just me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Full disclosure, I used to encounter Saul Williams a whole lot in the late 90s/early 00s when I did poetry slam and he is an incredibly massive douchebag so that mayyyyyyy have altered my opinion.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I will forever be enthralled by him unfolding a scroll on Def Poetry Jam. Such an intentionally hilarious bit of showmanship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY2-GRDiPM&t=22s

And let's face it, it's not the same without the drum & bass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HerpGwbLSM8

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mierenneuker posted:

I will forever be enthralled by him unfolding a scroll on Def Poetry Jam. Such an intentionally hilarious bit of showmanship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY2-GRDiPM&t=22s

The unintentionally hilarious thing is that if he did that at an actual sanctioned Poetry Slam Event(tm Russell Simmons) he'd be DQ'd.

I once got DQ'd for smoking a cigarette onstage because a cigarette is considered a "prop" lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

precision posted:

Full disclosure, I used to encounter Saul Williams a whole lot in the late 90s/early 00s when I did poetry slam and he is an incredibly massive douchebag so that mayyyyyyy have altered my opinion.

Lmao

The album is really good i think you just have some personal issues with the guy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's possible. He really was a mega douche. Not as bad as Taylor Mali or Beau Sia though. Also I think I only listened to the album twice

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
lol yeah Saul kind of strikes me as a guy that could be insufferable in person. Niggytardust rules though. If anyone was on the fence I'd recommend "Convict Colony," "No One Ever Does" & "Banged and Blown Through" (the latter has some very Ghosts/Fragile type of moments).

e: And it's been covered here before but "Skin of a Drum" = "The March" from Deviations 1.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 3, 2018

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm pretty sure all the Niggytardust music is just scrapped Fragile tracks right?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

magiccarpet posted:

I'm pretty sure all the Niggytardust music is just scrapped Fragile tracks right?

Nah, not all of it, but a good amount.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I still like Gunshots by Computer more than Hyperpower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_9rALT3YTg

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
This is a nice live recording posted a week ago (festival was a while back)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhBBdnd6kpA
The audio mix is p. good but very bass heavy, which isn't a bad thing imo

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

precision posted:

You're tempting me to bring up that one time when he cited Atlas Shrugged as an influence :v:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Diet Poison posted:

Concur on both points. I maybe wouldn't say TPD sucks but I even like Deep better, as far as non-album tracks go.

Dead Souls is probably my fave non-album/ST tracks from NiN. I loved TPD but it isn't really in my top 10 Nin songs list. Also the first time I heard Deep was at a strip club for a buddies stag party and I think that is probably the only place that that song would sound good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Madkal posted:

Dead Souls is probably my fave non-album/ST tracks from NiN.

you know it's a cover right

i mean yeah it rips but just making sure you know that because the original also rips

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

precision posted:

i mean yeah it rips but just making sure you know that because the original also rips

But the original doesn't work as well as a ringtone.

"THEY KEEP CALLING ME, KEEP ON CALLING ME"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

precision posted:

Yep. The JD version is pretty good too.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
New RezRoss film score coming soon, for Jonah Hill’s directorial debut, 4:3 coming-of-age tale Mid90’s. https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-scored-jonah-hills-new-movie-mid90s/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pirate Jet posted:

New RezRoss film score coming soon, for Jonah Hill’s directorial debut, 4:3 coming-of-age tale Mid90’s. https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-scored-jonah-hills-new-movie-mid90s/
Just saw this and was coming to post about it, haha

I've seen the trailer before a few different movies in theaters and thought it looked like boring garbage, but now I'm interested.

It really doesn't look like Trent and Atticus' type of thing, though, so I don't know how that'll work out. Maybe the trailer doesn't give an accurate representation of the movie? A24 usually puts out quality poo poo, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Rx6-GaSIE

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I came of age in the mid-90s. Now I feel old as gently caress that there is a movie about that era.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Samopsa posted:

This is a nice live recording posted a week ago (festival was a while back)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhBBdnd6kpA
The audio mix is p. good but very bass heavy, which isn't a bad thing imo
them opening with Somewhat Damaged owns so hard

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Beyond Pinion this is pretty much what should be done

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

agreed.

also love finck blearing out those vocals on poo poo mirror, another track that's way better live compared to the muddy mix on the EP!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Leon Einstein posted:

I came of age in the mid-90s. Now I feel old as gently caress that there is a movie about that era.

About time I had some nostalgia bait movie aimed at me. gently caress all the stuff aimed at people who were kids in the 80's (and I say this ironically).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

poo poo Mirror is my favorite track on the EP.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Madkal posted:

About time I had some nostalgia bait movie aimed at me. gently caress all the stuff aimed at people who were kids in the 80's (and I say this ironically).

I was born in '80, so I dug Stranger Things too.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

A new professional shoot w/ great sound of the Madrid show is up on youtube now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-toDadYqq8

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Samopsa posted:

A new professional shoot w/ great sound of the Madrid show is up on youtube now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-toDadYqq8
Niiiice, added this to the OP!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
New songs sound good, old ones not so much.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my favorite part is this little guy dootin' to poo poo mirror

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

polyester concept posted:

my favorite part is this little guy dootin' to poo poo mirror

lmao

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
That pro shot one cuts out after head like a hole and leaves out Hurt which is on another video and trent legit gets all emotional which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1040258773766438912

Tour starts tonight in Phoenix, AZ! Who's going? I'm not, but if you are, enjoy it extra for me plz