Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I’m not sure if to be happy I was at Red Rocks night 1 or miserable I didn’t go to this show.

God drat, incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

IG-88 posted:

I’m not sure if to be happy I was at Red Rocks night 1 or miserable I didn’t go to this show.

God drat, incredible.

Did you have to go through resell?
Tickets night of, near the sound board listed for $1200. Nose bleeds were $250.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

deong posted:

Did you have to go through resell?
Tickets night of, near the sound board listed for $1200. Nose bleeds were $250.

I just checked and we paid $179 for center section row 31.

Plus the travel from Miami. Still worth it for to be my first Red Rocks show ever. And my girl loved it too so it was a great trip. We have a pact where I will see Beyoncé with her for doing this lol

Bracing myself for what that’s going to cost. I can’t even fathom it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Red rocks >>>>>>>

I’m not really a fan of amphitheater shows since you’re just standing in one spot, but red rocks was such a loving cool experience. Both nights had incredible setlists too. The only songs I guess I would have liked to see are like La Mer and Down In It but I’m not complaining.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

IG-88 posted:

I just checked and we paid $179 for center section row 31.

Plus the travel from Miami. Still worth it for to be my first Red Rocks show ever. And my girl loved it too so it was a great trip. We have a pact where I will see Beyoncé with her for doing this lol

Bracing myself for what that’s going to cost. I can’t even fathom it.

Honestly some of those pop-ish type artists can have some amazing shows. We went and saw Lady GaGa live during the little monsters tour and had a BLAST. Low expectations + an absolute Broadway level of stage production and show = Our minds were blown.

I'm really mad I didn't get tickets to Red rock for NiN, I'm seriously regretting it.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Langolas posted:

Honestly some of those pop-ish type artists can have some amazing shows. We went and saw Lady GaGa live during the little monsters tour and had a BLAST. Low expectations + an absolute Broadway level of stage production and show = Our minds were blown.

I'm really mad I didn't get tickets to Red rock for NiN, I'm seriously regretting it.

I wanted to see Gaga last weekend. Thank god I didn’t. She cancelled halfway into her set after everyone waited in the rain for hours.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If you were a NIN fan who spent too much time online in the early '00s, this may mean something to you. If you weren't, it probably won't. But The Meathead Perspective has officially returned.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

IG-88 posted:

I wanted to see Gaga last weekend. Thank god I didn’t. She cancelled halfway into her set after everyone waited in the rain for hours.

are you saying that she stopped the show mid-performance

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Happy Hippo posted:

are you saying that she stopped the show mid-performance

Yeah, exactly

Edit: 12 hours later I felt like I needed to clarify it was in an amphitheater and raining

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 7, 2022

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sir Lemming posted:

If you were a NIN fan who spent too much time online in the early '00s, this may mean something to you. If you weren't, it probably won't. But The Meathead Perspective has officially returned.
:sickos: ohhhh man, this is especially comforting after the passing of Chris Hyatte. Getting a turn-of-the-century niche humor column guy back feels good. :unsmith:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

IG-88 posted:

I looked it up and it seems it was because the weather was getting nasty with lightning strikes and whatever so I can't judge someone for putting safety before a show.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

massive spider posted:

I looked it up and it seems it was because the weather was getting nasty with lightning strikes and whatever so I can't judge someone for putting safety before a show.

Totally, I get it. But that stadium has a retractable roof.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

IG-88 posted:

Totally, I get it. But that stadium has a retractable roof.

A roof, not a retractable roof. Even then, there were six songs left, by the time a retractable roof would close, that set would long supposed to have wrapped up.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

sleepwalkers posted:

A roof, not a retractable roof. Even then, there were six songs left, by the time a retractable roof would close, that set would long supposed to have wrapped up.

drat I had no idea it took that long. Interesting.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Hey, I'm sort of rediscovering NIN again, going through the discography one album at a time, reading interviews and watching live clips.

Figured I'd ask here, are there any good/interesting documentaries or interviews you would recommend, especially connected to albums or his song writing process?

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 9, 2022

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

It was posted last page, but have an interview where Trent nerds out about synths a whole bunch: https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1573712050886361088

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NuclearPotato posted:

It was posted last page, but have an interview where Trent nerds out about synths a whole bunch: https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1573712050886361088

Great goddamn interview, and to be fair Trent seems like he's in the mood to talk as well.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Great interview!

algebra testes posted:

Great goddamn interview, and to be fair Trent seems like he's in the mood to talk as well.

Is he normally considered hard to interview?

And how likely is it that they will ever do live shows outside the US, as NIN? I would kill to see them live but I'm in Europe :(

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Great interview!

And how likely is it that they will ever do live shows outside the US, as NIN? I would kill to see them live but I'm in Europe :(

They did a few shows in Europe and Asia back in 2018 for the Cold and Black and Infinite tour. Trent said that era ended at the Cleveland show last month. Guessing they’ll tour again to support the next album. Could be a year or two.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MIDWIFE CRISIS if you’ve got at least Apple Music (dunno about other streaming services), there’s a commentary thing ”Trent Reznor In Conversation With...” tacked onto the end of Hesitation Marks. I didn’t know it existed and listened to it just a few days ago. It’s Trent going solo talking about the process of making that album, including playing some demos of tracks that did end up on the album as well as totally unreleased material. It’s a nice listen :)

Dr Tran posted:

They did a few shows in Europe and Asia back in 2018 for the Cold and Black and Infinite tour. Trent said that era ended at the Cleveland show last month. Guessing they’ll tour again to support the next album. Could be a year or two.

They also did a string of shows in the UK and a festival in France this year.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Great interview!

Nah I don’t think so, he’s always been a great interviewee imo. There’s a podcast he was on, the hesitation marks solo interview he did, the rock and roll hall of fame videos (the recent one kinda retread the same ground from one in 2020 though).

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm not sure when it happened, but there is an epp on Hurt on Song Exploder|Netflix

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

deong posted:

I'm not sure when it happened, but there is an epp on Hurt on Song Exploder|Netflix
Like 2 years ago :) It's a good episode!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

MIDWIFE CRISIS if you’ve got at least Apple Music (dunno about other streaming services), there’s a commentary thing ”Trent Reznor In Conversation With...” tacked onto the end of Hesitation Marks. I didn’t know it existed and listened to it just a few days ago. It’s Trent going solo talking about the process of making that album, including playing some demos of tracks that did end up on the album as well as totally unreleased material. It’s a nice listen :)

I'm super curious what kind of stuff Trent has in his vault. I hope we get a NIN box set someday with a bunch of it. I'm not sure if it'll ever happen, I just don't know if Trent will ever be in the mindset of doing a career retrospective kind of thing.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think it's unlikely but I'm glad that we got the Fragile Deviations, that was awesome. I'm really curious about what material there is from 04/05 when Bleedthrough became With Teeth, I imagine there must be some really interesting unheard music from those sessions. Would be fascinated to hear anything that didn't make it onto Year Zero as well.

On the topic of things that would be awesome but won't happen, that NIN alumni event had me wishing everyone there would collaborate on a NIN alumni album together. Was cool having them all on stage at least but a big collaboration album would be awesome. I think the original Ghosts was along those lines with Trent getting a bunch of people at his house? Trent's been enjoying collaborations lately as well with Health/Elfman/Halsey so a project like that would be incredible. I don't mean everyone working on songs together either but maybe for one track Chris programs the drums (I think he did the insane beats for Perfect Drug?) and another could have Danny involved with Richard with Trent together on something else while Charlie and Alessandro collaborate on a track and so on.

gently caress it, get Al in to provide vocals on a track, Adrian Belew making his usual contributions and send out a search party for Aaron North. It would be so good :swoon:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCLKbOP0Tag

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Great interview!

No Trent's a great interview, but even by his standards he seemed positively enthused talking about all the stuff, it was a good interview!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Lost highway just got a fancy 4k criterion remaster, so I guess it’s finally time I watch it for the first time

Listened to the soundtrack about a hundred times but never actually saw the movie lol

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
it rules

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Does anyone know if there was a dedicated SA thread for the Year Zero ARG way back when? I seem to remember there being but I can't find it.

I've been binging live footage and interviews. There's such an amazing manic energy in the early shows but also lol at the the amount of equipment they must have gone through on just one tour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NQIT0Sdb-U

My favorite part of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Q&A interview is the old touring members asking the newest member "how many times have you been hit with a mic stand? have you ever been tackled?" and Trent going "moving on, moving on" :mmmhmm:

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Wasn’t it Echoing The Sound that were the major forums for year zero? Like some of the most active members got their forums avatars baked into the frequencies of the record that showed up in sonograms or something like that from what I remember.

I remember coming home from school ever day to see what people had discovered - what a cool thing.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah i was active on ETS back during the lead up to year zero and experienced the beginning of the whole ARG, that was a lot of fun to be part of. My forums username was included in part of the ARG along with a whole bunch of others who were apparently citizens of the "resistance" - i was listed as deceased, though :(

secret songs discovered on thumb drives in washrooms? :holy: it felt so awesome at the time

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 21, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There was definitely a Year Zero ARG thread in GBS because that's how I found out about the album.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Year Zero was such an amazing time. I still remember there being people on ETS and other parts of the greater online community always whine about the "new" NIN albums post The Fragile, but it was such an awesome time. That tour was so crazy to follow, and then everything leading up to that final secret show was insane.

We'll never get that HBO show, but drat that would've been cool.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Year Zero was such an amazing time. I still remember there being people on ETS and other parts of the greater online community always whine about the "new" NIN albums post The Fragile, but it was such an awesome time. That tour was so crazy to follow, and then everything leading up to that final secret show was insane.

We'll never get that HBO show, but drat that would've been cool.

I'm real curious what the rest of the storyline was but it feels like Trent is pulling a 1. Outside on us and lost interest.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

polyester concept posted:

yeah i was active on ETS back during the lead up to year zero and experienced the beginning of the whole ARG, that was a lot of fun to be part of. My forums username was included in part of the ARG along with a whole bunch of others who were apparently citizens of the "resistance" - i was listed as deceased, though :(

secret songs discovered on thumb drives in washrooms? :holy: it felt so awesome at the time
Yeah, I'm dead too.

There was a full setlist taped to the floor of the Art Is Resistance show. The Perfect Drug was on it. Kinda meaningless now that they actually started playing it.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Okay, last reminder (probably).

*** Giving away a free copy of Things Falling Apart on vinyl if we hit 50 shirt orders by 11/1. Currently at 37! ***

I’m selling an original, and better than any current official, design shirt.

https://twiceasquit.bigcartel.com/
(Thumbnails below if you don’t want to click.)

I’ve taken legacy elements from the UK and US Head Like A Hole single and arranged them to frame the only once used Prent artwork from the Limited Edition UK 10”. Eagle-eyed fans will find it a treat. There’s even an Easter egg hidden in there that won’t be found until the shirts get delivered.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

SUNKOS posted:

I think it's unlikely but I'm glad that we got the Fragile Deviations, that was awesome. I'm really curious about what material there is from 04/05 when Bleedthrough became With Teeth, I imagine there must be some really interesting unheard music from those sessions. Would be fascinated to hear anything that didn't make it onto Year Zero as well.

I'm still really curious about the tracks labeled "Instrumental" on Deviations 1. Most were on the original Fragile, but some weren't, implying the ones that weren't had vocal tracks at some point.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Bonk posted:

I'm still really curious about the tracks labeled "Instrumental" on Deviations 1. Most were on the original Fragile, but some weren't, implying the ones that weren't had vocal tracks at some point.

I think it just varies. Some might have had tiny little bits of vocals as instrument, or vocals that were never finished and I think a couple had complete, finished vocals. It would be nice to hear them but I don't think we're missing Disc 3 of The Fragile or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Remember when people found random USB drives in bathrooms? gently caress, that ARG was cool