Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Not cornstarch? Lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Wait, so there's no CD for NtAE?

It'd be a downgrade in quality from the high-bitrate lossless digital version, so it doesn't make much sense to do it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

It'd be a downgrade in quality from the high-bitrate lossless digital version, so it doesn't make much sense to do it.

By this logic the vinyl should not exist either

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BANME.sh posted:

By this logic the vinyl should not exist either

Not really. Vinyl is analog, so lossless and technically bit-less. CD is digital but lower fidelity. The main benefit is having liner notes, which the "physical component" provides.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Sir Lemming posted:

Not really. Vinyl is analog, so lossless and technically bit-less. CD is digital but lower fidelity. The main benefit is having liner notes, which the "physical component" provides.

As far as I recall, your hearing can't tell the difference after 320 kbps compression anyway. Vinyl is just "cool" now, while CDs are probably on their way out. Audiophiles would probably kill me with some tone wood for that statement, but it's true.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

There are ways to directly compare analog and digital recordings. Digital bit depth is equivalent to the noise floor or "hiss" of an analog sample and you can at most extract the equivalent of a ~12 bit recording from a record. Not to mention that CDs have demonstrably higher dynamic range than vinyl. Not sure what metric you are using to say CDs are "lower fidelity", but it's simply not true.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BANME.sh posted:

There are ways to directly compare analog and digital recordings. Digital bit depth is equivalent to the noise floor or "hiss" of an analog sample and you can at most extract the equivalent of a ~12 bit recording from a record. Not to mention that CDs have demonstrably higher dynamic range than vinyl. Not sure what metric you are using to say CDs are "lower fidelity", but it's simply not true.

Sorry, I meant lower fidelity than the digital downloads. I don't pretend any vinyl sounds demonstrably better than CDs, as in fact there are many factors that often make it sound worse. But in the digital world, more numbers = more better no matter how you slice it. If I can get lossless digital and some kind of physical thing to go along with it, doesn't matter much to me whether it's a CD or not.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sir Lemming posted:

Sorry, I meant lower fidelity than the digital downloads. I don't pretend any vinyl sounds demonstrably better than CDs, as in fact there are many factors that often make it sound worse. But in the digital world, more numbers = more better no matter how you slice it. If I can get lossless digital and some kind of physical thing to go along with it, doesn't matter much to me whether it's a CD or not.
Nope. Stuff like 24bit/192KHz is useful during the recording/mixing process but for playback good ol' 16bit/44.1KHz is better.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Actually I believe the digital EP offered on the NIN.com store was in a lossless bitrate on par with a perfect CD rip (i.e. better than what you'd get on iTunes).

It's Deviations 1 that pushed into the "better than CD" territory with its higher sample rate and all that (i.e. literally won't play on an iPhone unless you manually lower the quality first).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The really good music Bittorrent sites are crazy about ridiculous stuff like that, where they'll request FLAC 24/192 upgrades to their current 24/96 or 24/48 FLACs while pretending that their $500 headphones and $500 preamp allow them to hear things they wouldn't hear on a V0 MP3 rip

hell even a V0 rip is designed to only go as high bitrate as it needs to at a given time and if you look at it they rarely go above like 224

e: poo poo, even production god/Alan Parsons reincarnate Steven Wilson thinks that 96/24 is as high as you need and he releases his poo poo in dedicated 5.1 formats and such, and in his own words even 96/24 is mostly a "why not" thing:

quote:

"“Even if the difference is 0.1 percent better, why wouldn’t you do it?” he asks. “There is information in those tracks that’s missing when you listen to a CD.”

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 2, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlD08Rh6xa8

I used to get all my albums in FLAC, but now I'm a Spotify Premium user and I don't download any music and their Extreme quality 320kbps stream is perfectly fine for me. They even announced that they're doing a Spotify Hi-Fi upgrade plan where Premium users can add on lossless quality for an extra $5/month to compete with services like Tidal, but I don't even care. I can't see it being worth the money.

The only times I even care about lossless anymore are if I'm buying a digital album from someone like NIN or Bandcamp or whatever. If the option for higher quality is available, I'll get it just because.

But it's not like I'm hearing the benefit of lossless files over Bluetooth in my car anyway, which is where I mostly listen to music.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 2, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

But it's not like I'm hearing the benefit of lossless files over Bluetooth in my car anyway, which is where I mostly listen to music.

:same:

I will admit that Trent's attention to musical detail means that the live poo poo is absolutely awesome in terms of quality. Another Version of The Truth - The Gift probably gets more play than any other NIN stuff in my car lately. Not only is the sound quality top-notch but I just loving love how the older stuff sounds with a full band - the Big Come Down is a prime example of that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

david_a posted:

Nope. Stuff like 24bit/192KHz is useful during the recording/mixing process but for playback good ol' 16bit/44.1KHz is better.

But Trent wouldn't lie to us!

In all seriousness, that's pretty interesting. But outside the whole 192Khz idea (which sounds like overkill), 48 & 96 are standard for DVDs and blurays, right?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Well technically yes, but most people who claim to be able to actually hear the difference are completely full of poo poo.

If you are an adult human being and you've ever done things like going to a rock show without earplugs or spent time listening to earbuds/headphones at high volume or basically any of the things teenage music fans do, then your ears are likely already too damaged to notice any of that difference. Even without damage I don't think most of the difference at that level is really audible to people.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 2, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sir Lemming posted:

But Trent wouldn't lie to us!

In all seriousness, that's pretty interesting. But outside the whole 192Khz idea (which sounds like overkill), 48 & 96 are standard for DVDs and blurays, right?
DVDs/BluRay support a variety of audio formats, especially if you also lump in the audio-only versions of them. 48KHz probably exists because of technical reasons (the math works out a bit easier than 44.1KHz which is a bit of an odd number). I don't know why they bothered going beyond that, but an AV receiver is more likely to add effects (stuff like "late night mode" that compresses the dynamic range) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean, I'm not trying to say a CD version would sound like crap compared to the higher resolution version, just that it's unnecessary. At this point it places an arbitrary limit on the distribution and presentation. There are other, (possibly) better ways to distribute and listen to lossless digital audio, and NIN is using them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

david_a posted:

DVDs/BluRay support a variety of audio formats, especially if you also lump in the audio-only versions of them. 48KHz probably exists because of technical reasons (the math works out a bit easier than 44.1KHz which is a bit of an odd number). I don't know why they bothered going beyond that, but an AV receiver is more likely to add effects (stuff like "late night mode" that compresses the dynamic range) so maybe that has something to do with it.

I don't think you would need to jump to 96KHz for it, but I think I read somewhere that they bumped up above 48KHz so they could do 7.1 surround mixes on Blu-Rays. Dunno how true that really is, though.

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean, I'm not trying to say a CD version would sound like crap compared to the higher resolution version, just that it's unnecessary. At this point it places an arbitrary limit on the distribution and presentation. There are other, (possibly) better ways to distribute and listen to lossless digital audio, and NIN is using them.

I think that's basically the gist of that article I linked before - 44.1/48 is just an unnecessary limitation, so even if the sound quality difference is imperceptible there's no reason not to do it. It'd be like intentionally using older versions of production software when the upgrade is a free download.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 2, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh I agree it's unnecessary (unless it was some kind of aesthetic thing), just pointing out that the downgrade in audio quality is not in any way substantial enough to affect the decision either

that said it does seem weird to order an "album" and get an envelope with some piece of paper and some dust, even if you've already heard the digital version

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

oh I agree it's unnecessary (unless it was some kind of aesthetic thing), just pointing out that the downgrade in audio quality is not in any way substantial enough to affect the decision either

that said it does seem weird to order an "album" and get an envelope with some piece of paper and some dust, even if you've already heard the digital version

Yeah I'm really not sure what I was expecting. It didn't mention a CD, just a "physical component" so I figured it was going to be some sort of artwork or print or whatnot. I still think the black dust thing is a little artsy-fartsy, but we are talking about a band that left USB drives in concert venue bathrooms that contained gibberish noise MP3s that revealed URLs and images when run through spectrogram software so :shrug:

In other news turns out the wife has a matting thingy so I'm hopefully gonna frame them this weekend.

e: I'm waiting for someone to figure out that if you dip the black envelope in rubbing alcohol the black paint comes off and reveals something that leads to a Year Zero pt. 2 ARG or something

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there is only one recording of YZ pt 2 in existence, it was on one vinyl record which has subsequently been broken into 420,0000,000 pieces which are then distributed evenly among everyone who purchased this ep. that's the black dust. only in the event of all NIN fans coming together and assembling the album will it be heard.

just the latest battle in the great 21st Century NIN vs Wu Tang Gimmick War

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

there is only one recording of YZ pt 2 in existence, it was on one vinyl record which has subsequently been broken into 420,0000,000 pieces which are then distributed evenly among everyone who purchased this ep. that's the black dust. only in the event of all NIN fans coming together and assembling the album will it be heard.

just the latest battle in the great 21st Century NIN vs Wu Tang Gimmick War

I would 100% would not be surprised if it turned out the black dust was, in fact, the powdered remains of the only extant copy of the YZ2 masters that Trent recorded and just ended up hating.

Ultimate troll is if he tells people it's the powdered remains of the Tapeworm masters :v:

e: no wait let's make it bigger: Trent is the one who stole the masters for that lost Green Day album. That's what the black dust is.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if that were true you should just put the dust in the garbage

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

if that were true you should just put the dust in the garbage

haha joke's on you it's already firmly nestled in my lungs

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's actually a Wooly Willy kinda deal where if you put a magnet under the dust on a bit of paper then the particles will align to show the midi notes for YZ2.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

haha joke's on you it's already firmly nestled in my lungs

This is intended. The idea is that every NIN fan will have to kiss every other NIN fan and this will form the new album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Earwicker posted:

Definitely. There's an interesting cognitive disconnect even though it's perfectly logical.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Earwicker posted:

It was communicated clearly that it was a "physical component" and not a CD, so I dunno, it doesn't seem that weird.

Anyone get the NIN logo zip-up hoodie? How'd sizing work for y'all?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Definitely. There's an interesting cognitive disconnect even though it's perfectly logical.

It was specifically sold like that. I'm not saying it's necessarily smart purchase, but the thing was clearly described as NOT containing the album.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
So whats the best way to rinse this poo poo off the cardboard pieces? I'm assuming water will ruin them. Is the only option for framing to frame them covered in grime for the ultimate ~metal~ experience?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Immolat1on posted:

So whats the best way to rinse this poo poo off the cardboard pieces? I'm assuming water will ruin them. Is the only option for framing to frame them covered in grime for the ultimate ~metal~ experience?

I just wiped them down with paper towels. It smudged some of the pieces some but that just adds to the ~art~

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

It was communicated clearly that it was a "physical component" and not a CD, so I dunno, it doesn't seem that weird.

I get that, I just think its kind of weird that its a thing at all. unless I'm missing something it's not some unique artwork that depends upon its physical form, or a cool object you'd put up in your house or whatever. it looks like some badly made photocopies that accidentally included a bunch of toner

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Hah, he even showed us in the picture on the store exactly what we were getting, you can see the dust all over the bottom of it. Glad I looked this up before I opened mine. I wonder if it's stuff they use for finding fingerprints. That poo poo is like this. If it's toner, be careful, that stuff is carcinogenic, don't breathe it.

sleepwalkers posted:

Anyone get the NIN logo zip-up hoodie? How'd sizing work for y'all?

I ordered one but with some of the pre-order records so I have no idea when I'll get it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

Hah, he even showed us in the picture on the store exactly what we were getting, you can see the dust all over the bottom of it. Glad I looked this up before I opened mine. I wonder if it's stuff they use for finding fingerprints. That poo poo is like this. If it's toner, be careful, that stuff is carcinogenic, don't breathe it.

I ordered one but with some of the pre-order records so I have no idea when I'll get it.

Yeah it's probably not toner but like I said earlier I fully expect someone to have a full-blown freakout over it and Trent will have to issue a statement explaining what it is

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Kelp Me! posted:

Yeah it's probably not toner but like I said earlier I fully expect someone to have a full-blown freakout over it and Trent will have to issue a statement explaining what it is

They already said it's ground up make up.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

They already said it's ground up make up.

Source?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/5wx9t8/so_i_called_firebrand_about_the_black_stuff/

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

How can anyone seriously think a company would send a carcinogen knowingly?
It would be basically "why yes, sue us!"

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

How can anyone seriously think a company would send a carcinogen knowingly?
It would be basically "why yes, sue us!"

There have been plenty of off the wall things ignorant people have done at companies. There's mandatory recall notices like every week of products designed by assumed trained engineers that kill kids.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Obsurveyor posted:

There have been plenty of off the wall things ignorant people have done at companies. There's mandatory recall notices like every week of products designed by assumed trained engineers that kill kids.

Yeah, but kids are REEALLY stupid. They're just culling the herd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

Yeah but in this case it would be "we added powder just to kill you". They might as well sell anthrax