Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

lol your question kind of answers itself, James Patterson is hugely popular, he shits out a generic "co-written" book literally every other month and every single one of them hits the top 5 on the bestseller list, often #1.

I thought the first book of the Stieg Larsson series was pretty good as far as typical closed-room mysteries go, the other two got increasingly outlandish but at the time I read them I had thrown my back out and was stuck on a couch and they were decent enough entertainment to get me through

Yeah I mean I know it's basically the same garbage (see also Tom Clancy, John Grisham, Michael Chrichton, Mary Higgins Clark, whoever writes those C is for Crime books, etc.) but it's always struck me as a little odd that this random Swedish crime novel blew up like that. I don't think I've ever seen a Tom Clancy novel adapted into a movie in a non-English-speaking country, for example.

I mean the guy who wrote it died under mysterious circumstances and a couple books in the series were published posthumously, right? IIRC there was a bit of :tinfoil: around all that so maybe that helped make it more well-known or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

Yeah I mean I know it's basically the same garbage (see also Tom Clancy, John Grisham, Michael Chrichton, Mary Higgins Clark, whoever writes those C is for Crime books, etc.) but it's always struck me as a little odd that this random Swedish crime novel blew up like that. I don't think I've ever seen a Tom Clancy novel adapted into a movie in a non-English-speaking country, for example.

I mean the guy who wrote it died under mysterious circumstances and a couple books in the series were published posthumously, right? IIRC there was a bit of :tinfoil: around all that so maybe that helped make it more well-known or something.

yes a big part of it was that the author was actually somewhat similar to the protagonist (in that he was an investigateive journalist working for a similar publication as the protagonist in the books did), and all of the books were discovered and published posthumously, while he was alive no one knew he was writing novels.

also Swedish crime stories are kind of big in general, there have been several popular and well budgeted English language film and tv adaptations of various Swedish thrillers, it's a Thing

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 6, 2017

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Excuse my ignorance, what's The Definitive Broken? And why is it LP + EP?

Initial pressings of Broken came with a mini CD(and maybe a 7" on vinyl if it came out in that format at the time?) that contained two songs that weren't quite part of the project proper in the form of a cover of Adam Ant's (You're So) Physical and a reworking of the PIgface tune Suck. Said tracks were originally going to be released to coincide with the Lolapalooza tour but that didn't happen due to legal battles with then label TVT. So those two are the contents of the second slab. :eng101:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Weird, the Nine Inch Nails twitter just tweeted a picture of Trent and Manson together because they're playing the same festival later this year.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Molestationary Store posted:

the PIgface tune Suck.

Oh man, I didn't know this. I've heard Suck before, but had no idea it was a cover of a Pigface song.

And thus, my weird need to connect Trent Reznor with Lesley Rankine is fulfilled. I always thought Ruby's first album was very NIN-like at times. Listen to "Pine" and "Heidi" (and to a lesser degree, my favourite, "Carondelet", which was originally Pigface's "Chickasaw"). poo poo is haunting.

EDIT: For your reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Waq7D-pvwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rlwRmabl-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahc6Gom_B30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jBfIRMn_HM

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 7, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't remember a "mini cd", I bought broken pretty close to when it first came out and my copy had those two songs as unlisted hidden tracks, if you left the cd playing after the main album it would go through 90-some empty tracks until it got to them. IIRC it was done this way because TR did not have the rights for them.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh man, I didn't know this. I've heard Suck before, but had no idea it was a cover of a Pigface song.

it's a Pigface song but TR was one of the writers and performers of the original version as well.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 7, 2017

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I remember Broken the way Earwicker does, empty tracks and all. Maybe we just had an early copy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There definitely was a mini-cd version. When I borrowed it from someone in high school they just had a 6-track CD. When I later bought it I was very surprised to find two extra songs on it. When I asked the guy he said "oh yeah, it came with a cool mini cd but I lost it."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

According to wikipedia the mini cd version was the very first version but it was a very limited run, and it was re-released as the hidden track version a month later

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

I remember Broken the way Earwicker does, empty tracks and all. Maybe we just had an early copy.

Yeah, this was mine, too. After 'Gave Up', the track counter would start ticking away each second until it got to 98, and then 99.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I have the vinyl with the 7" with the extra tracks

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The cassette had the hidden tracks as well. There was just a very long pause with no audio before the tracks started playing.

Would the release of the mini-cd just be with the vinyl version?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hidden tracks were :krad:, one of the features I miss about buying CDs. Even better is pregap tracks, always loved those.

Due to being a stupid teenager who made bad decisions the sole remaining NIN physical media I have left are CD copies of With Teeth and the Day the World Went Away single :(

I finally have enough disposable income to feasibly get back into vinyl but digital is so drat convenient and if I was really a stickler for quality most of this stuff is available as FLAC anyway...

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

it was a miniDisc you format-confusing pigs

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, the CD version with the tracks on the same disc came after the mini CD version, and had tracks... what, 7 - 97 as one second long sliences and the two tracks as 98 and 99?

magiccarpet posted:

it was a miniDisc you format-confusing pigs
Uh EXCUSE ME it was a Mini CD, not a MD!! I am literally shaking as I type this!!!

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 7, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah iirc the mini CD was compatable with most normal CD players at that time, whereas a miniDisc was a different format that required a different player. I had a miniDisc recorder during the minute they were a Thing and still have some albums I copied off a friend in that format

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Big ups on the big apology email mentioning a one time use discount code, and that code having this restriction: PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS DISCOUNT CODE IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR PURCHASE OF NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS, THE FRAGILE: DEVIATIONS 1, AND THE DEFINITIVE EDITIONS OF THE FRAGILE, THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL AND BROKEN

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I never had a physical release of Broken, but I definitely remember whatever the MP3 version I had for years was had Physical and Suck as tracks 98 and 99 coming right after Gave Up as track 6 (all the silence tracks in between were omitted).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

Yeah, the CD version with the tracks on the same disc came after the mini CD version, and had tracks... what, 7 - 97 as one second long sliences and the two tracks as 98 and 99?

Uh EXCUSE ME it was a Mini CD, not a MD!! I am literally shaking as I type this!!!

Mini-CDs are dope, we use them for our product catalogs (it's cheaper than printing them). Fully compatible with any CD player (in fact if you look at a CD drive tray, there's the outer groove that a regular CD fits into, and then another smaller circular groove - that's for mini-CDs!). They store something hilariously small like 60MB though.

Ours are even fancy shapes!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

Ours are even fancy shapes!

Speaking of weirdly shaped cds, leave it to the Flaming Lips...

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Earwicker posted:

I had a miniDisc recorder during the minute they were a Thing

I know they weren't the most popular format for a long time, but the mini disc came out in 1992 and Sony finally stopped shipping MD hardware in 2013. 21 years is a hell of a run for any music format - not to mention there were 30 something different companies manufacturing over 800 different MD devices total. Hardly a blip in history if you ask me.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I had someone give me a copy of THE ANARCHIST'S COOKBOOK on one of those cut-off Mini CDs when I was a wee lad, and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

polyester concept posted:

I know they weren't the most popular format for a long time, but the mini disc came out in 1992 and Sony finally stopped shipping MD hardware in 2013. 21 years is a hell of a run for any music format - not to mention there were 30 something different companies manufacturing over 800 different MD devices total. Hardly a blip in history if you ask me.

sure but for the vast majority of those 21 years they were basically only used by audio nerds and in a handful of industries. by "the minute they were a Thing" i meant from an average consumer standpoint. it was definitely never adopted as a medium for mainstream music releases

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of weirdly shaped cds, leave it to the Flaming Lips...

In Flames - Black Ash Inheritance will always be my favourite one of these

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Discogs is a good resource for this sort of thing, here's a handy outline of all 70 versions of Broken: https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-Broken/master/3466

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo broken is a good ep but really just an appetizer. fixed is the real main course

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Minidust posted:

Discogs is a good resource for this sort of thing, here's a handy outline of all 70 versions of Broken: https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-Broken/master/3466

Holy gently caress, you weren't kidding! :aaaaa:

72 versions, specifically. My god.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Asnorban posted:

Big ups on the big apology email mentioning a one time use discount code, and that code having this restriction: PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS DISCOUNT CODE IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR PURCHASE OF NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS, THE FRAGILE: DEVIATIONS 1, AND THE DEFINITIVE EDITIONS OF THE FRAGILE, THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL AND BROKEN

Haha, yeah, made me laugh when I read it. Have a discount that doesn't work on anything you were probably going to buy! Though to be fair he didn't need to provide a discount code in the first place (what Nine Inch Nails fan isn't used to interminable waits). It's actually good business sense, since I was going to make another purchase anyway, since in my initial excitement I didn't realize Deviations didn't include The Fragile proper, and I have to have it on vinyl eventually. With a 20% off code for "something else" I might also be persuaded to buy a hoodie or t-shirt as well.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

It specifically says "NEW MUSIC, REISSUES, MERCHANDISE AND MORE WILL BE APPEARING IN THE COMING MONTHS" so that's pretty cool actually

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Earwicker posted:

imo broken is a good ep but really just an appetizer. fixed is the real main course

Fixed is the true test to see if you're a true fan or not. And also if you have good taste :colbert:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Where's my Perfect Drug single reissue with exclusive bonus content of them soundchecking it along with all the different endings they tried :mad:

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Call Me Charlie posted:

Where's my Perfect Drug single reissue with exclusive bonus content of them soundchecking it along with all the different endings they tried :mad:

I'd like TPD on vinyl with the following added:

-the promo 12" only Aphrodite remix
-the original mix without the end cutting off, it's on one of the WITT CD singles.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Diet Poison posted:

Haha, yeah, made me laugh when I read it. Have a discount that doesn't work on anything you were probably going to buy! Though to be fair he didn't need to provide a discount code in the first place (what Nine Inch Nails fan isn't used to interminable waits). It's actually good business sense, since I was going to make another purchase anyway, since in my initial excitement I didn't realize Deviations didn't include The Fragile proper, and I have to have it on vinyl eventually. With a 20% off code for "something else" I might also be persuaded to buy a hoodie or t-shirt as well.

This is straight bullshit actually. Forcing us to buy the high margin stuff with our 20% off discount.

If I can use it on the next release, then I'm satisfied.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

This is straight bullshit actually. Forcing us to buy the high margin stuff with our 20% off discount.

If I can use it on the next release, then I'm satisfied.

The thing straight up says to hold onto the code because there's new stuff coming.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Vince MechMahon posted:

The thing straight up says to hold onto the code because there's new stuff coming.

But the codes are only good for a year!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I still am peeved you can't use it on the stuff just released. Why?!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Leon Einstein posted:

At a most charitable reading, because there's been fulfilment issues as it is.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

I assume to prevent people from cancelling their orders and re-buying them with the discount.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

My Twitter Account posted:

I assume to prevent people from cancelling their orders and re-buying them with the discount.

Ok, that does make perfect sense. Good catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Am I the only loser here who opted for a refund? I mean, I never really wanted a vinyl in the first place, but it was the only way to get Deviations.
Anyway, mine just processed, so heads up for anyone else who went that route!