Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Slip is easily my least favorite of his albums but it's still fine and Head Down and Demon Seed loving rule. Plus, y'know, it was free.

Edit: Echoplex is really good too

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah The Slip feels more like an unreleased B sides collection than an actual album but a couple of those B sides are really good. The Fragile is my favourite NIN album with Year Zero juuuust behind.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

my lady said 'all your favorite rock stars are dying' last night so stubhub got their :10bux: afterall

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

magiccarpet posted:

my lady said 'all your favorite rock stars are dying' last night so stubhub got their :10bux: afterall

You missed out on the social interaction

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Last I checked stubhub (at least in boston) had plenty of lovely seats for only a slight markup rather than the usual massive markup so if you really want to go to this tour (though stubhub has fees of it's own equal to that of ticketmaster because it's already the worst thing so it's not like doing that can make people hate it more), it's not going to be hard.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Pretty nice video where this dude goes over all the elements of THTF, cool to hear the individual tracks and the barely perceptible noisesTrent added to this otherwise relatively straightforward song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmg9B5ooBsA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Samopsa posted:

Pretty nice video where this dude goes over all the elements of THTF, cool to hear the individual tracks and the barely perceptible noisesTrent added to this otherwise relatively straightforward song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmg9B5ooBsA

I watched that too, I can't remember how his videos first popped up in my feed but I've been keeping up with them for a month or so. Although you can really tell when it's a band he's a huge fan of vs. someone that was either requested or he heard on the radio / had the multitracks for, and this seems like the latter. They're clearly the Rock Band stems, due to the "big rock ending". Even though TR released the real stems too. (Not surprisingly, he almost always does songs that were in Rock Band / Guitar Hero. He's necessarily coy about how he gets the tracks, but based on the song choices, it's clearly mostly from those.)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

magiccarpet posted:

Trent's probably not dying soon unless he tries a heavy suicide grip bench

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Eh, comparing Smashing Pumpkins to NIN doesn't really seem equivalent though. The first 3 or 4 Pumpkins records are the only ones that feature the original lineup (well I guess it's more like 6 counting both Machinas). Trent was literally the only official member of NIN until the end of 2016

Billy Corgan was functionally the only member of the band the entire time, well Billy and Jimmy anyway. Iha and D'arcy didn't record anything in studio, or if they did they were just playing exactly what he told them to play. It seems like a totally apt comparison to me. :shrug:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I like the new song. It’s been in my head since I first listened to it. God break downnnnnnn the dooooooooor..... god break downnnnnnnn the dooooOOOOOoooorrrrrr..........

:3:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

precision posted:

I didn't wait at all. We got there around 7, doors were at 8, there was a pretty long line but we all had our tickets already so it didn't take more than 30 minutes to get in (doors opened early)

I also left to get beers and came back to the front of the stage several times. It just wasn't that big of a crowd, there was a lot of empty space near the doors and sides of the venue. It was the Thompson Boling Arena in Knoxville, for reference.

edit: Also there wasn't a guard rail, the crowd went right up to the stage

I was at that show. I was on the first row on the right side of the stage, but not directly to the right so we had a pretty good viewing angle but still felt extremely close. Amazing show, and yeah, it was super easy to get in and the line wasn't bad at all.

I don't remember hearing anyone talking poo poo about deerhunter, but that may have been because I wasn't in general admission.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Bought online tickets to both shows in DC, which I believe are not yet sold out at this time.

The venue is predominantly GA, which makes it even better that I did not line up for physical tickets since it's not like I missed out on better tickets this way.

Cannot wait till October!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anonymous John posted:

The venue is predominantly GA
I'm jealous :negative:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Weird. NIN is playing in Dallas? And tickets are still available? And I just bought some? What's up with that?

This better be good!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
He was my teen rock idol and I've never seen them live, so might as well eat the ticket price.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

il_cornuto posted:

Yeah The Slip feels more like an unreleased B sides collection than an actual album but a couple of those B sides are really good. The Fragile is my favourite NIN album with Year Zero juuuust behind.

Year Zero is good enough.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
I only want tickets to see j&mc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Radirot posted:

I only want tickets to see j&mc.
I saw them at a festival in 2016. They were alright. I wasn't blown away by them like I was by other acts at that same festival (Aphex Twin and Squarepusher, for example). I've seen Just Like Honey live. I can cross that off my bucket list. But it's not like I'm fiending for the opportunity to see them again, especially after they released their new album and it wasn't great.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

I saw them at a festival in 2016. They were alright. I wasn't blown away by them like I was by other acts at that same festival (Aphex Twin and Squarepusher, for example). I've seen Just Like Honey live. I can cross that off my bucket list. But it's not like I'm fiending for the opportunity to see them again, especially after they released their new album and it wasn't great.

Aphex twin AND j&mc?? You are so loving lucky.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Radirot posted:

Aphex twin AND j&mc?? You are so loving lucky.
Yeah, seeing Aphex Twin live was like a religious experience :swoon:

That was his first US show in 8 years and I don't think he's played a show here since.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not even sure if I've heard a J&MC song. I mean, I grew up in the 90s so I'm sure I did but gently caress if I could identify a song as theirs.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm not even sure if I've heard a J&MC song. I mean, I grew up in the 90s so I'm sure I did but gently caress if I could identify a song as theirs.
They're more of an 80s band than 90s.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it is kinda cool that NIN has the band they opened for on their first tour opening for them

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

glam rock hamhock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EgB__YratE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5x1F9ohRa4

They were a noise rock band that started in the 80s and they were signed to the same label as My Bloody Valentine. They kind of abandoned that sound over the years, though, and they broke up in the late 90s for almost a decade before reforming.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

this is a better jesus and mary chain song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZV8P75v3VE

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't even know how I ended up listening to this, but this is the demo Trent made that first got him signed and it's kind of the precursor to Pretty Hate Machine. There's songs from PHM like Sanctified, Down In It, The Only Time and That's What I Get on here, along with others that didn't make the cut. It's real interesting hearing these songs in their original form and hearing other directions that Trent wanted to go in but never did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPuVy65V1uQ

quote:

1. Slate 0:00
2. Sanctified 2:21
3. Maybe Just Once 7:57
4. The Only Time 13:12
5. Kinda I Want To 18:21
6. That's What I Get 23:25
7. Purest Feeling 27:45
8. Twist 30:44
9. Down In It 36:35

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 29, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was hoping we'd get versions of Maybe Just Once and Purest Feeling on the remastered PHM but I guess Trent is too embarassed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just going through NIN videos on YouTube now. God drat, this stripped down orchestral version of Hurt is haunting as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o39SLgx24I

Also holy poo poo, I completely forgot he did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jux_PxuHHQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U9MIKA4uV8

The main song I associate with that game is that Skrillex song from one of the multiplayer maps. It slipped my mind somehow that he did the theme to this. The game came out like 2 years after he and Atticus scored The Social Network.

Which reminded me that he did this, which I remember but haven't listened to in years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9bm-RJMWM

poo poo, he could've made part of this with one of those Korg Monotrons. Those things are glorified toys but it works here if that's indeed what he used. Although he's got so much gear at his disposal that it probably wasn't one of those.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 29, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I feel like as a general rule with electronic musicians, the more gear you have, the harder you'll try to do unique things with really simple/crappy gear.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Twist is a better song than Ring finger.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never knew he did this - fantastic cover of a fantastic song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfqktBLDjPU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Another for the YouTube pile. When Trent remixes a rap song, the instrumental version basically amounts to a lost NIN track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHKmzqcWI0g

Actually sounds kinda like those new songs from Deviations!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

yes

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

I don't even know how I ended up listening to this, but this is the demo Trent made that first got him signed and it's kind of the precursor to Pretty Hate Machine. There's songs from PHM like Sanctified, Down In It, The Only Time and That's What I Get on here, along with others that didn't make the cut. It's real interesting hearing these songs in their original form and hearing other directions that Trent wanted to go in but never did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPuVy65V1uQ
This was the holy grail in like 1995 for me. I ordered it from some fly by night bootleg website, and it took like 4 months to arrive. Kids have it so easy nowadays.

Purest Feeling and Demos and Remixes were the two essential bootlegs. I had a handful of others as well. Show Up or Throw Up was notable in that it had Now I'm Nothing/Terrible Lie on it, as well as NIN's first show ever.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yeah, seeing Aphex Twin live was like a religious experience :swoon:

That was his first US show in 8 years and I don't think he's played a show here since.

poo poo. Color me beyond jealous.

But how do you know it wasn't his mysterious twin brother (not the one that "died" and he was named after)?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Vince MechMahon posted:

I also agree.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i really like maybe just once :shobon:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It sounds like a demo a label would buy the rights to and put a better singer on. I'm glad that's not what happened but it easily could've been.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have never listened to Pretty Hate Machine all the way through. I just know the singles from that.

:negative: I'm a bad fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have never listened to Pretty Hate Machine all the way through. I just know the singles from that.

:negative: I'm a bad fan.

I didn't listen to NIN at all until With Teeth :shrug: