Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

magiccarpet posted:

Since things are slow lets all laugh at how terrible a Ministry dress rehearsal looks

http://youtu.be/Fjqz2lrPDZ0

Jesus Christ, can't imagine having to endure this in person. Pity on anyone who has to survive a ministry concert in the year of our lord 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

echronorian posted:

I wanted to like HTDA but it just wasn't impressive.

It felt like an album from a guy who wanted to make some music, but didn't have much to say.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Sir Lemming posted:

That would be my description of Hesitation Marks.

Yeah, honestly that works to varying degrees for a lot of his recent output IMO. Hesitation Marks had a jam or two, same with Welcome Oblivion, but an awful lot of what sounded like meandering filler to my ears.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

echronorian posted:

Year Zero definitely sounds more like HTDA in that I like listening to maybe two songs on either project

Like so much of TR's recent output, they sound like a very musically eloquent man who doesn't have very much to say.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Anonymous John posted:

Bump, T-Rez and Atticus are scoring the movie Patriot's Day about the Boston Marathon bombing.

*yawns so mightily the walls shake, picture frames fall down, and things are left generally disheveled*

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Call Me Charlie posted:

i don't care what you naysayers say, i'm happy rhyming dictionary trent is back

That's my only complaint with this track, I wish he had an editor who could just underline that poo poo and tell him to try again. This would be a serious jam if it wasn't for the very up-front and very phoned-in lyrics IMO.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Madkal posted:

Setlist has no Year Zero songs on it and I am sad about that.

Yeah, it looks like the setlist was largely built around having the band play good songs.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Beside You in Time is a rad song

for real. i wish a bunch of those kinda aimless songs in the middle of the album were replaced by songs that followed that direction, because BYIT is fuckin cool

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pretty good posted:

New song whips rear end, I've never heard of Health what should I listen to if I want more like this

Get Color and Death Magic both rule, and the singles they put out between those albums (USA Boys (recorded in T.Rez's home studio) and High Pressure Days) are amazing. I think losing Jupiter Keyes severely impacted their most recent album for the worse but ymmv

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I, Butthole posted:

HEALTH rules and anyone who hasn't listened to Death Magic needs to, right now.

I wasn't sure how they could top Get Color, but god drat they did. album of the decade.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Listened to the new single today, holy poo poo it kills.

Bought the last two Health records and am just finishing up with Death Magic. Great stuff.

Don't skip Get Color! Far superior to volume 4 imo

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Caseman posted:

But a new NIN first.

honestly at this point between how good this album is and how much niggy tardust ruled, I kinda hope Trent keeps partnering with people who have something to say and bringing his musicianship to these collaborations first and foremost. Seems like that challenges him to bring his A game more than another nin album.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Skails posted:

Loudwire has a best NIN song poll up, no Ruiner on that list so I’m out. Threw a vote to The Everlasting Gaze instead.

https://loudwire.com/best-nine-inch-nails-song/

lmao that haw-haw-hawnted is an option, they have to be taking the piss

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

hbxli posted:

it's beginning to look a lot like fistfuck!

i made a nin christmas album because of course i did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37HIOMhXok

oh my god

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The new HEALTH is phenomenal

Dissenting opinion: I think Future of Hell, Hateful, and DSM-V are fine, but I would argue that HEALTH lost its spark when Jupiter left the band and ever since they've been trying to make up for the loss of their synth player and apparently most creative member by turning up the guitars and reaching for a very superficial darkness. I'm also not sure if their lyrics got worse or if it just worked better when they were indistinct; either way, these lyrics are very silly now.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

For a more serious answer, I think the band definitely lost something when Jupiter left, but Johnny is just as responsible for the electronics on HEALTH since the beginning too. I personally enjoy the music style changes they go through with each album as well. There was a strong visceral reaction from older fans and adjacent fans when they went more pop on Death Magic.

Yeah, Johnny is a great character and I think he adds a lot as the public face of the band. I texted him on the number they put out there way back when just to say I appreciate their music.

HEALTH was my favorite band for probably close to a decade and for a while I really had no idea who did what (other than the drumming and singing I guess), but in the years after death magic before they announced that Jupiter had left the band I was already wondering what had happened to them; the new songs they were putting out sounded so flat compared to their S/T, Get Color, or Death Magic. Like, Feel Nothing seems like it was their last attempt at a catchy single but it sounds so one-dimensional after bangers like Die Slow or Stonefist or USA Boys.

Even without Jupiter I think they're still capable of putting together the occasional jam like Isn't Everyone or Hateful, but I miss the way Jupiter's production made their music pop and his synth work that contrasted with the darker elements - it doesn't seem like the band as currently constituted is capable of making something like their High Pressure Days cover. Three amazing albums is more than you could ask of most bands though imo and it's cool that they've carved out this niche, so more power to the remaining three I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I, Butthole posted:

Compress/Repress is pure PHM and it owns

It really owns, I wish Trent would let himself do something that fun on a regular NIN release.