Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Diet Poison posted:

Concur on both points. I maybe wouldn't say TPD sucks but I even like Deep better, as far as non-album tracks go.

Dead Souls is probably my fave non-album/ST tracks from NiN. I loved TPD but it isn't really in my top 10 Nin songs list. Also the first time I heard Deep was at a strip club for a buddies stag party and I think that is probably the only place that that song would sound good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

precision posted:

you know it's a cover right

i mean yeah it rips but just making sure you know that because the original also rips

Yep. The JD version is pretty good too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Leon Einstein posted:

I came of age in the mid-90s. Now I feel old as gently caress that there is a movie about that era.

About time I had some nostalgia bait movie aimed at me. gently caress all the stuff aimed at people who were kids in the 80's (and I say this ironically).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always considered With Teeth an album that had some great songs, but not a great album.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress the jazz music was all original stuff by Trent? I honestly thought it was stuff from old jazz/music hall records, not original recordings by Trent.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Finally some work from home music. Though it isn't on streaming right now so I am just doing Ghosts I-IV

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
These are great "work at home" albums so I am digging them. I am preferring Together more than Locusts honestly but I have had two on constant loop during my "work day".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought Godflesh was a new band because I had never heard of them before but nope, been around the since the 80's/90's. Anyway they are good industrial but I guess they are a precursor to NiN, and not a later day ripoff (don't mean that in a purely negative way).
Anyway, for shame all this talk about Stabbing Westward and Gravity Kills and such but no mention of Filter.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I recently relistened to Short Bus and it kind of holds as grimier than Title of Record. Lyrics are extremely cringe worthy though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

axelblaze posted:

Any one else get weirded out thinking there are now multiple generations that have grown up with Trent Reznor as a guy who puts out three albums a year and have never known anything else?

Trent Reznor? Isn't he that guy who does movie scores?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rageaholic posted:

I still remember playing the Doom 3 expansion pack and being on the phone with a friend who was playing the album right when it came out.

Come to think of it, With Teeth really was my first NIN album!

God I love that album.

The first time I saw NiN it was when they were doing the With Teeth tour. Good times.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

hughesta posted:

a small, selfish part of me is glad this got canceled because they weren't coming to Chicago. Silver linings!

Out of every single show I wanted to see this year that wasn't coming to my hometown (Deftones/Gojira and Faith No More/Korn) it's kind of bittersweet to see that NiN actually had a show here.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Setlist has no Year Zero songs on it and I am sad about that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Yeah, it looks like the setlist was largely built around having the band play good songs.

I said Year Zero, not The Slip.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This is from the....second time I have seen them live but the first (and only) time I have seen them at a festival. I am actually amazed about how many songs they played that night. Definitely a different feel though from an arena show. I actually didn't mind not being right near the stage and was more into the crowd vibe than usual.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Trent released a statement saying that he has not spoken to Manson in 25 years nor does he care to speak to Manson and for all purposes he was done with Manson 25 years ago. I guess people will tie them together because of the stuff they did together in the 90's but that is such a stupid thing to tie him to.

Anyway, my dumbass Manson story is that I saw him and Rob Zombie do a show 2 years ago. Manson seemed drunk, and their show sucked. 3 plus minute breaks in between songs with nothing going on?! I thought someone who has been performing for the last 20 odd years would at least know how to put on a show. That being said, Zombie killed it and shows that he definitely knows how to put on a show. Manson just seemed like he didn't want to be there at all.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

axelblaze posted:

This is really a shame because he really used to put on a hell of an amazing show

Biggest issue really was the breaks between songs. Like you can put on some pre-recorded noise/samples or some interesting visuals to make things flow, but instead a song would end, the arena would go dark for 3 minutes with nothing happening and then the next song would start. Have this happen between pretty much every single song just killed the momentum and the mood. Added to this that Manson seemed really disinterested/going through the motions just made the show so slow and boring.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Island Nation posted:

More industry awards for Soul:

Annie Award for Best Music - Feature

https://deadline.com/2021/04/annie-awards-2021-winners-list-livestream-animation-1234734559/

Cinema Audio Society Award for Motion Picture - Animated. Noteworthy since Atticus (& 6 other people) gets it for being a scoring mixer but NOT Trent or Jon

https://deadline.com/2021/04/cinema-audio-society-awards-winners-sound-mixing-cas-1234732941/

Can we change the thread title from Country award winner Trent Reznor to Annie award winner Trent Reznor please.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was getting into NiN retroactively (ie started listening to them in early 00's and was mostly listening to Downward Spiral and Broken continuously). With Teeth was the first new album they released when I started getting into them and while I liked some songs (and outright loved Beside you in time, Right were it Belongs and line begins to blur) I wasn't too crazy on the album. That being said the first time I saw NiN live was in support of the album and the show was amazing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just noticed that Hesitation Marks isn't on Spotify anymore which is kind of strange. I remember listening to it....last year for the first time in a long time and I thought Trent was trying some different sounds and styles, most of which didn't work, but props for that I guess. Also Everything is such a weird freaking song.

Slip has some bangers and is definitely good for the price it came with. Did feel like some leftovers though (which isn't a bad thing but wasn't really anything new).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Weird. I am checking now and it goes from The Slip to Bad Witch. Wonder if it's a Canadian thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

hatelull posted:

Wow. Looks like it was a double NOPE.

The Flaming Lips on the same bill as Cannibal Corpse has me intrigued.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
That poll sucks for so so so so so many reasons.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

hatelull posted:

Here's your chance for "Supernaut" in the states I guess ..

So what did Cleveland ever do to deserve such an awesome line up?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

coronaball posted:

Triple post: got 2 Berkeley tix for $153 each off Seatgeek. Still $285 cheaper than Ticketmaster.

gently caress Ticketmaster forever.

You would hope that a freaking pandemic that shut down concerts for the last two years would have destroyed TM but pure evil cannot die.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Bonk posted:

I found out by commenting on a guy's shirt while I was grocery shopping today that I missed a HEALTH show a couple weeks ago.

Goddammit, Bands in Town, why do I even have you installed if you're not going to notify me :negative:

I had tickets for HEALTH a few weeks ago so of course I had catch covid 4 days before the show. Health indeed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Pirate Jet posted:

Can’t find a source but I do remember reading an interview where Trent said there was no particular significance behind Nine Inch Nails, he just came up with a few names a day and it was the first one he didn’t hate when he woke up the next morning.

The way I heard it he came up with the name because he liked the way NiN looked and figured out the words later. From all interviews and such the name itself has no particular meaning.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Man the Crow soundtracks are the definition of diminishing returns (just like the movies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think Salvation was the only one I saw in theatres and.... I guess it is a movie with a crow in it. Oh yea, and it had Kirsten Dunst in it too.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 28, 2023