Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

nebby posted:

I wanted to kill the retards obnoxiously recording the show on their phones and blocking my view

Phones?

Consider yourself lucky. More and more of these Darwinian hopefuls are recording with iPads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Trash Boat posted:

And as glad as I am that my show didn't get rained out, I can only imagine that some thunder could potentially add an excellent atmosphere for much of NIN's live show.

Seconds after the climax of Hurt, a huge lighting bolt just lit up everything and a huge clap of thunder shook the earth. One of those crazy synchronicities... enough to make a few thousand people scream and howl.

Also watching a storm develop on the backing video for Erasure, while one was literally developing around the stadium was like being in the end of the movie Ghostbusters when Gozer comes out of the dimensional portal.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I was let down they played NOTHING off the Fragile for the Toronto set myself. I mean they played something off of every album, except that.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Everything is such an amazing song and it sucks how he'll probably avoid that style in the future.

While I don't think it's a "bad" song, it just doesn't sound dark or unique. You could easily replace it with any Top-40 pop-rocker singing it and who would know it was even an nin song. Also:

http://youtu.be/xaWe_4AaH8Y

When you have fan videos of the song with Pikachu, Kermit The Frog, and puppy dogs, and it works...

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Half the Everything supporters claim it sounds nothing like a pop-rock song. The other half state it is purposely a pop-rock song which ties into the lyrical gimmick.

You freaks can't even get your story straight.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAhOJ1dLviQ&t=198s

I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what NIN song this little synth melody (3:18) reminds me of. I am thinking something from The Fragile but could also be from TDS. Anyone feel the same way?

Sounds alot like the tribal-esque chanting/samples in the opening of Head Like A Hole.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

GuavaMoment posted:

If we're playing this game that gives me another chance to post the winning combo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ51kW684FM&t=11s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEqZkglTVYE&t=10s

I'd love to hear the story of how this was discovered.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Ya I really don't think the album is "overtly" about Cocaine. Some tracks, but certainly not how some people want to pigeon hole it.

Look at songs like We're In This Together Now and the title track, amongst others. He's also openly stated some songs were about specific people like The Day The World Went Away being about a grandparent dying.

I mean his lyrics are vague and of course you can impose your own interpretation onto them. But to just pigeon hole it as an album entirely about cocaine is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

axleblaze posted:

I still really like HTDA :(

So do I. I listen to Welcome Oblivion alot more than Hesitation Marks and his recent soundtracks.

I mean, I understand the whole "lack of emotion" complaint. However I think it works amazing as a moody experimental album, which is all it tries to be. In fact from an abstract art perspective it is BY FAR the most experimental thing Trent has done since the Fragile era. Sonically it downright shines and really pushes the boundaries of electronic music and synthesis. I mean Year Zero was neat but I felt it was just kinda heavy handed, too poppy and sing-songy. Welcome Oblivion was more subdued and takes the listener on an atmospheric journey.

As someone who owns about $5k of modulars/synths himself and listens to too much weird experimental music, I will say it is easily some of the most unique synth-based music I've heard in over a decade. Maybe it almost falls into a category of "music for electronic-nerds", which would explain why most people I know into rock-music find it boring and weird. But I love it.