Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hell, I wouldn't bring a tablet to a concert period. It's inconvenient enough trying to hold a jacket and a bottle of water for 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's just for me, I kinda let out a sigh when people bitch about Trent's lyrics. Yes they can be pretty awful and LiveJournal-ish at times but there's a reason why that's catchy and a lot of "good lyrics" are not. He isn't trying to write Cohen.

I mostly agree; at the same time, it's understandable that people might get tired of it after 20 years.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"All Time Low" is being played in the currently airing episode of "Covert Affairs" on the USA network.

Yep.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'll always love how that quote was referenced in Meathead's "NINmas Carol".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It'd be better if it weren't a straight-up copy of Copy of A, but it's pretty cute.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

It's just that it's stuck somewhere between a style parody -- like, "I can write a NIN song too" -- and a "song with different lyrics" parody, and I'm not sure which one it is.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Stravinsky posted:

That is part of why it is so good.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, I just thought it'd be more clever to do a whole "new" song demonstrating the NIN formula. I liked it until it stopped being that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Movie trailers are an art form in themselves. I see no shame in having your music used in a really well-done movie trailer even if the movie ends up being lame. Unless there's something particularly morally reprehensible about the movie it advertises, I suppose.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Indeed, Terminator was basically the exact trailer I had in mind when I posted that. Just a perfect trailer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Assuming the Wantagh NY show is at the Jones Beach theater, I'll probably just convince the wife to go on a nice evening stroll on the boardwalk that night.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's funny because crappy mastering makes such a bigger impact on how a recording sounds than whether you're listening to it on analog or lossless or whatever. So if anyone other than the mixers and engineers are working on a "solution" it's pretty much a waste of time, except in some sort of indirect "proving there are people who care about how their music sounds" sort of way.

This project is the physical and financial manifestation of a YouTube video of some old musician saying these young people don't know what it's like to make real music without a computer and it just ain't the same, or whatever. It's kind of embarrassing. It's a backwards and unnecessary "solution". Fix the way your albums are being digitally mastered and the rest will fix itself. CDs and mp3s don't magically ruin music.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 31, 2014

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like the synth riff from "Sunspots" coming in at the end.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I legit feel that "Everything" is the best song on the album. (Well, either that or "In Two".) It feels fresh, energetic, and challenging, whereas the rest of the album is good but very much in line with my expectations for what NIN sounds like. I don't always think "different" is good by default, but in this case it is.

It's one of the only songs from the album that I almost never skip when it comes up.

EDIT: Well, "Copy of a" is really good too.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 22, 2014

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
All Time Low is an odd one. I loved it when I first heard it, but on subsequent listens I've felt that it lacks something, possibly in the production. I feel like it doesn't sound as "meaty" as it should. Sort of like the last Muse album.

Also he disses "Everything" in the second chorus!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah honestly, with the exception of Starfuckers I feel like it flows perfectly well. That's not to say it's all perfect, especially when it comes to the lyrics, but I find it to be NIN's "most listenable" album.

Whereas I consider TDS artistically superior, but not really fun to listen to.

(Not saying it doesn't flow well - it's even better than The Fragile in terms of sequencing. I'm really taking about 2 different things here.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's mostly just an ascending scale anyway; which also makes it a great counterpoint to the recurring descending scale motif from Closer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Home is one of the best songs from those sessions, but I'm not sure where it would fit on the album. Probably says more about the album than the song, I guess.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wow, it's hard to believe they initially brought in a different producer for Hesitation Marks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

It felt like an album from a guy who wanted to make some music, but didn't have much to say.

That would be my description of Hesitation Marks. Welcome Oblivion comes from a very similar place sonically, but to me it feels a little fresher probably just by virtue of not having Trent's voice (much).

Definitely a bit long-winded though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

hatelull posted:

On that note, does any of the stuff he does give the idea that the band was having fun in the studio or during recording? What would "Nine Inch Nails loving around in the studio" actually sound like?

With Teeth. And parts of The Slip. Basically the less-good stuff.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Inspector_666 posted:

He's running out of places he can hide his stuff.

Things, well... Things, they tend to accumulate.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
From Apple's WWDC developer conference:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
drat. Well-played, Reznor.

I don't think the Android version comes out for a few more months, but I guess I should check it out on my computer or whatever. Hope it's available in a more permanent format someday.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

nomapple posted:

The With Teeth instrumentals are well worth it too.

Wait WHAT?

drat I need to get on this...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Finally got to listen to the Fragile instrumental rough cut. I love how the album in this form seems to gradually take on a more demented feeling, right around "The Mark Has Been Made". Really more due to the presence of the B-sides than the instrumentalness itself, I suppose.

Edit to avoid doubleposting:
Listening to the With Teeth instrumentals, I'm struck by the fact that "Love Is Not Enough" mostly has programmed drums, even though it's probably the song that would've benefited most from a more live sound. Even though on most of the other tracks, I'm longing for the exact opposite.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 27, 2015

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Let's not forget that without "Breaking Glass" there would probably be no "Closer":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgdCIAEupNI

And without 1:28+ from "Station To Station" there would be no picked guitar thing that Trent loved so much on The Fragile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY77zDzNmYw

Rest in peace.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The sound effect at the beginning of Somewhat Damaged is actually him sawing down a tree

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TDS era is the most technically perfect NIN, but The Fragile era is the most enjoyable to listen to. Broken is somewhere right in the middle.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
He just mad cause his spot got blown up. Eagerly awaiting the new NIN album featuring the song "Totally Not Dive And Slam You Guys"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It was also more or less expected to be the end of NIN, so it didn't seem weird that NIN wasn't doing much during that time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Earwicker posted:

also there was the Saul Williams album he produced I think that happened around then as well?

IIRC the Saul Williams album was before Ghosts. Nobody paid for the Saul Williams album, so Trent was like "okay I guess only PART of Ghosts will be free, not making that mistake again (sorry Saul)"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

LordPants posted:

Which makes it hilarious they didn't tour Australia

You're a convict colonyyyyy

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Hopefully he will give us the sequel he talked about before.

What if... this IS the sequel :stare:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

magiccarpet posted:

Spotify recently pointed me in the direction of 'The Black Queen' which is some dudes from current-ish NIN, Telefon Tel Aviv and DEP.

It's synth poppy and very early NIN/Depeche Mode so of course you will like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8t_9SxvSV8

This is pretty rad, thanks for the recommendation. The curmudgeonly part of my brain says maybe it's a little too retro, but I'll definitely give it a few more streams at the very least.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sitting in a sleigh, I looked up, way up in the sky
and I was seeing some weather you wouldn’t believe
That night I didn’t believe it myself,
And I decided I was never going out
Just then a shiny little nose caught my eye
it was bright enough for all to see
And I watched it glow and glow
It was Rudolph’s red nose

He was up above it
He was up above it
He’ll go down in it

They used to laugh and call him names
He couldn’t play their little games
Because he wasn’t quite the same
(He used to be nobody)
They used to say he was a freak
With his big red shiny glowy beak
They used to say it all
(He used to be nobody)

He was up above it
He was up above it
He’ll go down in it
(He’ll go down in history)

(Fog, fog, go away
Come again some other day)

(Falalalalala lalala
Falalalalala lalala
Falalalalala lalala
Falalala lalalala)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I can’t shake this feeling from my head
Jacob Marley’s standing near my bed
They’re making me re-live Christmas Day
How can I make these spirits go away?

And I know it’s not the right thing
And I know it’s not the good thing
Bah humbug I want to

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm awake
And there’s sugarplums dancing in my head
And I don't want to think too much about when he’s coming on his sled
Mom and Dad made sure the stockings hung by the chimney with care,
Put me in my bed and tucked me in and went down the stairs
Nothing quite like the feel of Christmas Eve

Maybe I'm all wrapped up
Maybe I'm all wrapped up
Maybe I'm all wrapped up in you
Maybe I'm all wrapped up

This is the only night I really feel alive

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mr. Grinch, he’ll take everything from you
Mr. Grinch just doesn’t care for any Who
Mr. Grinch, his heart’s two sizes too small
Mr. Grinch don’t want everything, he wants it all

No, you can’t take it
No, you can’t take it
No, you can’t take my Christmas tree

Heart like a hole
Garlic in your soul
I wouldn’t touch you
with a forty-foot pole

I can’t believe you stole Christmas
You’re going on the naughty list

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
drat and tomorrow is Friday... :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Are you sure you can get Deviations digitally? Everything I'm finding, (other than the store site because I can't get it to load) is saying it's vinyl only.

Despite Pitchfork giving me a minor heart attack by declaring it "LP only", NIN.com says the LP purchase also includes a digital copy. Of course, that still seems to indicate that there's no digital-ONLY version. But at least it's not literally JUST on vinyl because that would be stupid.

The statement on NIN.com is:
The Fragile: Deviations 1 will not be available on any digital services and only available in this format while this limited run lasts.

Which could just mean it won't be available for streaming. But it does sound like there won't be a "digital release" at all.

I guess he assumes it will be pirated anyway.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 16, 2016