Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

NIN posted this one to their Instagram on Thursday:

Apparently that's from '94.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV7NLCWiiU

That was pretty much their look back then.

edit: It's pretty funny hearing Terrible Lie without doing the whole "TERRIBLE LIE WA-OOHHH" schtick :haw:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Platypus Farm posted:

Then again, with the European dates, and the Aussie dates with QOTSA, he's leaving the lightshow at home, but aren't tickets going for roughly the same amount as they did in the US? Seems like maybe the lightshow isn't the problem, but rather overconfidence in his ability to sell out an arena after several albums with lackluster sales?

Australia is a different market but you're paying roughly the same amount for those two bands as you'd pay to see for any other band of that type. They're not under or overpriced but priced pretty competitively. Ie: the same as Muse. Bruce Springsteen can get away charging double what they do but he's the boss so that's okay.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BANME.sh posted:

So, Trent likes to release little Christmas/New Years gifts via bittorrent every year that NIN is active or touring. Should we start the speculation for this holiday season?

What were they previously? One was the Downward Spiral tour doc video. Was the other one the complete Broken film?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

His new album sounds pretty NIN. Moreso than his other recent albums. I think it's cool, but kind of weird. I love the old Gary Numan stuff, until that point where his albums got pretty bad, but then seeing him turn his music into something like NIN is a bit weird for me. Oh, well. Anyone ever see this before? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shOc-5FxA3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq7QiWqdFZ0

Speaking of their first single off their first album.

:allears:

edit: featuring famous Rock 'n' Roll producer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 21, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The dog that died falling off a stage on the Further Down The Spiral Tour and appears on Broken?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Trent was on Australian radio via phone a couple of days ago, short is

Alternating Headliners with the Australian Tour.

Josh's wife's band is opening.

Sick of playing the same setlist, playing new music and changing it every night.

Tails never fails.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AFewBricksShy posted:

Are they using the same visuals on this tour? I'd imagine switching that show up would be astoundingly difficult to program considering the craziness of the visuals.

They're not, for that very reason. He went to great lengths explaining how he still enjoys performing but after a couple of months of doing the same show over and over the romance is gone.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I, Butthole posted:

I believe it's done via coin toss each night. Can't wait for Thursday's show, then I gotta wait another two weeks for my hometown's show :(

I think I already covered that with "Tails never fails" ;)

No but seriously, my understanding is they'd toss a coin for the first night then alternate each other night.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Deadmau5 "I'm doing a new album with guest appearances by Trent Reznor and Mariqueen Maandig."

(That afternoon same radio station)

Trent. "Nope."

Trent :allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nam Taf posted:

Probably because his management had thought that they'd spoken to NIN's management who had in turn spoken to Trent and somewhere along the chain of chinese whispers and incessent backstabbing/rumour-mongering that is the music industry, the message got warped and the two parties that actually matter had a difference of understanding.

For sure. Deadmau5 goes to his management and says "wow, could I get Trent to sing on my album?" his management speaks to Columbia who thinks "man that'd be great exposure for us, we'll make it happen!" and either Trent says no or isn't asked and Deadmau5 says it's happening.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's to stop two go in, then one goes out with two wrist bands, two go in, etc etc etc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Platypus Farm posted:

I wish the qotsa tour was coming to america instead of this.

As tired as QOTSA sounded in Australia maybe you don't.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if this has been posted but it's pretty funny. Josh and Trent before the most recent Aussie tour.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In Adelaide the show started with Me, I'm not -> Beginning of the End -> Survivalism. And then they played Vessel later on.

What I'm saying is I love the poo poo outta some Year Zero live and they really delivered on that.

Also for a show that was obviously so complicated to put on it was amazing the pace that they fired through these songs. One of the other shows in Australia got everyone's favorite loo break number "something I can never have" :3:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm just a copy of a copy of a choclate.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Haha wow OP-1 spotted. See they aren't just toys they're real instruments man.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That ending... it's like some sort of sound track to a 16 bit hockey game.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Today is the 20th anniversary of NIN's Woodstock '94 performance, which can be watched in full here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV7NLCWiiU

Last performance of Happiness in Slavery I believe.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NuclearPotato posted:

Halfway point on its lifespan, actually. They played it on all of the '95 Self Destruct dates.

Huh I dont know where I got that idea then. :shrug:

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

But if him not playing HIS is an indication of him being old then he's been old for 20 years

Maybe it shreds his voice too much to sing?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I uh, had a nice dinner at local place. But it turns out, it wasn't so nice. This describes me on the toilet five minutes ago

*starts playing burn*

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheJoker138 posted:

The only NIN album I don't like is The Slip. It has a few tracks I like, but most of it is just...forgettable. If it wasn't a free album I'd have been let down, but it was free so...eh.

It was originally an EP right? It's be a pretty great EP if you cut the back half out in my opinion.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

axleblaze posted:

The back half is the good bit though :confused:

You know what I listened to it again and I remembered I actually like the entire album. :D

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing about the social network is the film is designed to interact with the score in a certain way and it does absolutely incredibly, where as Gone Girl is all about dissonance and there are periods where the most notable aspect is there is no score, only background noise.

So I don't want to say "hey they're different things" because the Social Network Soundtrack is incredible, but the Gone Girl soundtrack is very good but in a different way.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The fragile is so strange, because the first disc is like three quaters of a really great album. And then it kinda loses me at some point.

It's also, as pointed out, really overtly Cocaine: Hell of a drug - the Album.

And so much of it is throat destroying it's no surprise a lot of it isn't played any more.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wild T posted:

It's about cocaine.

It's a hell of a the perfect drug.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't be happy until I'm blasting Pussygrinder ft. Sheryl Crow from every possible stereo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

John Cena posted:

they're just dressing like the last time most of them were relevant

People dressed like that in 1994?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He said in interviews HM is him sitting in front of Ableton with a midi controller and a bunch of songs happening.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stryder posted:

The really sad part is that if he *is* moving to Cupertino, the sale price of his old house will get him a 3 bed/2 and-a-half bath house with barely a back yard.

Don't worry man, he will SURVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE.

Everything.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't seen many acts that were good openers. The "best" traditional opener would be Kings of Leon, before they made it big, in '06. It wasn't' exactly amazing but it was pleasant enough music to be opening Pearl Jam.

I saw NIN and QOTSA doing the duel headline show thing, and NIN came out first blew through like four Year Zero tunes and then continued to annihilate the audience with a really tight powerful set. And then QOTSA came out and Josh was clearly drunk, and tired of it all and it was the most "meh" thing ever. I never thought I'd be think to my self "Yeah yeah, just play Song for the Dead so we can all go home guys..."

Last time I saw QOTSA on the Era Vulgaris tour they were so tight and full of energy and dynamism it was a real bummer.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well, my excuse is i'm in Australia and decent bands are rarely, if ever, support bands in Australia.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If it's not "22 Centimeter Rivets" I'm out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thats a cool tribute

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had this At the Drive In Song as my alarm for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG2Y4GVN6uw

Until I just started freaking out when it would go off because the start was so explosive.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wish he did do the spacenam 2 theme

"I drink the putrid fountain of decay
My broken body is decomposing
From the pain inside my heart
What have I done to ruin my life?

Come on and slam
And welcome to the jam
Space jam
Space jam"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There were rumours that radiohead toured in relation to how much on average you paid for in rainbows.

Which makes it hilarious they didn't tour Australia

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mierenneuker posted:

The chorus to Dead Souls makes for an excellent ringtone BTW.

That is amazing. I'm going to have to do that now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Up Above it (the maximum file size) now i'm down in it

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kelp Me! posted:

Who plays bass in that lineup, Atticus?

They toured Australia with that line up minus Ross and it was dope as hell.

I beleive Alessandro played bass, if anyone did at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The vinyl is never coming. I've accepted this.

I'm looking forward to delivering you, finally.