Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
It's amazing how many subtleties of the music you miss when the vocals are mixed in. I love that this is a thing.

Was +appendage ever officially released anywhere previously beyond the original cassette?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I kind of dismissed the With_Teeth era singles and remixes because I was way more into the post-Fragile and Year Zero material in the 00s, but I recently started going back through some old B-sides, and drat the El-P remix of Only is loving great.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I like HM's music, but that's about it. Trent's never been an amazing lyricist, but HM's lyrics are particularly egregious, and lazier than they've ever been.

"What rhymes with 'hey'? OK, day, way, say..."
"What rhymes with 'done'? Fun, one, begun..."

It's the Dr. Seuss of NIN albums.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Asnorban posted:

TRez lyrics have been bad from the beginning. It's just that sometimes they aren't as bad.

I mean yeah, obviously, but there's a difference between trite and lazy.

I actually do like a lot of the lyrics on Broken and Year Zero though - he writes better when he's angry.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Kelp Me! posted:

TBH that live album/DVD (Another Version of the Truth: The Gift) is one of my absolute favorite NIN recordings. I've always respected how NIN was 99.9% Trent for the longest time, but I really love the sound that comes out of a live band. That live recording breathes awesome new life into already great songs and it loving rules. It doesn't hurt that the light show on that tour was absolutely insane.

loving Justin Meldal-Johnsen, his bass tone is so sick :kimchi: that whole lineup for this tour was stacked as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNXHR_Pe5JI

e: also the entire concert is free in HD, it's an absolute must-watch:
http://toiou.org/downloads/
I had lower level seats at the Las Vegas show on that DVD! Trent told security to relax on confiscating filming equipment so the fans could shoot it, so a ton of cameras were around. I can't even express how loving awesome that show was live. Josh Freese is a goddamn machine.

On the way out after the show I met Penn Jillette, who is apparently a huge fan.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Zaphula Smoot Reznor
Canterbury Raven Reznor
Galaxy Bark Reznor

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Instead of that elaborate comparison you could have just said they were doing their best Aphex impression.

The first link almost immediately reminded me of Bucephalus Bouncing Ball.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Origami Dali posted:

I hadn't been to a show in a long while until tonight and this reality hit me hard. Weirdly, most of them also still dressed like they never left the late 90's.
It's funny, I saw Gary Numan for his Savage tour last year expecting a bunch of NIN-adjacent 90s industrial kids, but it was way more dudes in their sixties who were fans since Tubeway Army than I expected. Actually felt young in a crowd for once.

Leon Einstein posted:

Is he still touring? I saw him a few decades ago.
Yeah, I saw him open for Killing Joke in September. He covered Juke Joint Jezebel.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

axelblaze posted:

I'm old so my first NIN was PHM...on cassette.

:corsair::hf::corsair:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Goddammit, I didn't see the tour dates until now, and they were coming to my city for 3 nights. :(

Maybe in 2021.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I always figured it was a sax. My dad used to play one when I was a kid, and his warmups sounded similar.

But then he'd play Maneater by Hall & Oates or something instead of transitioning into a kickass drum beat.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Still pretty miffed about no rescheduling for the 3 nights in Vancouver on the 2020 tour that was canceled after the pandemic hit. I was definitely going to one, and was debating two. Now since I haven't spent any money going anywhere for the past two years, I could afford all 3 now, but no word on them coming back at all.

I also had tickets for Dead Can Dance w/Agnes Obel and they kept postponing, then finally canned the tour altogether. At least I'm seeing Gary Numan here next month, barring any massive new spikes.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I seem to recall someone mentioning that Brian May hated it, so there's that.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I really wish there was more NINxRDJ stuff, like full collabs and not just a couple tracks on a remix album. The Aphex Twin stuff is my favorite part of FDTS.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I found out by commenting on a guy's shirt while I was grocery shopping today that I missed a HEALTH show a couple weeks ago.

Goddammit, Bands in Town, why do I even have you installed if you're not going to notify me :negative:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I saw Gary Numan last night after having a ticket since late 2019. That man does NOT disappoint. Heavy on his newer material with fewer classics than the last couple times I've seen him, but surprisingly more mid-era stuff from albums like Pure and Jagged.

Seeing Peter Hook from Joy Division next week and he's playing both albums in full. Goth cred 4 life this month.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

SUNKOS posted:

I think it's unlikely but I'm glad that we got the Fragile Deviations, that was awesome. I'm really curious about what material there is from 04/05 when Bleedthrough became With Teeth, I imagine there must be some really interesting unheard music from those sessions. Would be fascinated to hear anything that didn't make it onto Year Zero as well.

I'm still really curious about the tracks labeled "Instrumental" on Deviations 1. Most were on the original Fragile, but some weren't, implying the ones that weren't had vocal tracks at some point.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I haven't seen this in years, but I've always loved how utterly bananas it was that they had to come up with a weird elaborate fantasy to reenact an art student calling in about it.

"He MUST have been at his easel! There MUST have been a model!"

Why, dude? Why MUST it have been like that? :pwn:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UtT-RgHxlM

This came up in my recommended feed, and it ain't wrong.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
NIN didn't do an encore set at the show I saw in '95 for the Further Down the Spiral tour because someone threw a shoe onstage that hit Chris Vrenna. I think it was during their last song of the regular set, but they didn't come back after that.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Sir Lemming posted:

My assumption is that with some of those songs, he never came up with finished vocals, maybe just a scratch track lying around somewhere. After all, wasn't it lyrical writer's block that inspired him to do so many instrumentals in the first place?
He talked about it at the NIN/JA tour show I went to, just before playing La Mer:

"About 10 years ago or so I locked myself away in a house on the ocean, and I tried to… I said I was trying to write music, some of which wound up on The Fragile. But what I was really doing was trying to kill myself. And the whole time I was away by myself, I managed to write one song, which is this song. So when I play it I feel pretty weird about it, because it takes me back to a pretty dark and awful time in my life. It's weird to think how different things are now. I'm still alive, I haven't died yet. And I'm afraid to go back to that place because it feels kind of haunted to me, but I'm going to go back, and I'm going to get married there."

So a lot of that writer's block stemmed from pretty deep depression, and the substance abuse issues he had at the time. Then after that I guess he suddenly decided to get super jacked.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'm actually really digging that track, it's catchy as hell. Filter's been hit or miss with me with anything after The Amalgamut, but everything I've heard recently sounds like he's going in some cool new experimental directions.

Did anything he worked on with Brian Liesegang over the past few years get released? I was glad to hear they patched things up, but I know they canned the project after PledgeMusic went under.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
NIN adjacent: Justin Meldal-Johnson plays bass on the new Drab Majesty EP.

From the tracks they've released it sounds closer to late 80s Madchester & early 90s shoegaze than their earlier new wave stuff.

https://youtu.be/5lVfNtsx1y8

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Rageaholic posted:

This is dope!

Another NIN-adjacent thing: new Filter track and new album coming next month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0SMq2DypU0
Drab Majesty are great, I recommend their whole discography if you're not already a fan. The main guy is a stage persona of Emma Ruth Rundle's old drummer from her band Marriages.

Filter's new stuff sounds half new direction/half 90s throwback, and I'm digging it. The new album has Brian Liesegang returning for a few tracks, from the collaboration they were going to do before PledgeMusic went under.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

TOOT BOOT posted:

So did "1. Outside"

I can't believe you decided to attack me like this today

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
lmao the new HEALTH video has Johnny cosplaying Asuka from Evangelion at a con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZL1_sImzKY

Legitimately don't know where else to post about them because they don't really seem to fit in the industrial noise thread. Anyway, I already got a ticket for their March show. I saw them at ArcTanGent and they ripped.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://youwillloveeachother.bandcamp.com/album/rat-wars

HEALTH now has 4 tracks off their new album out. Reminds me a LOT of classic 90s industrial metal, but with an updated feel and better produced. I'm pretty sure the guy from Author & Punisher guests on Sicko.

Just needs a few samples of serial killers & horror movie monologues. :v:

[edit]Apparently it's Godflesh guesting. It sounds exactly like A&P.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'm loving how HEALTH's marketing for the new album has basically just been shitposting as an advertising vehicle.

In the past few days I've seen them announce news for albums/singles/merch using Evangelion clips, a screenshot of a futa hentai game on Steam, and the intro cutscene to Command & Conquer: Red Alert. :allears: