Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Aragon show is apparently $99.50 + fees. No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

glam rock hamhock posted:

No, it's going to be the people that have the money and time to spare. Saying people that can't afford this financially or time wise "just don't want it enough" is the dumbest loving bullshit. It's a loving concert. People shouldn't have to make sacrifices to prove that they are worthy to see a band play music. The sacrifices in question should not disproportionately affect those that are less fortunate.

I'm not sure if I'm telling you something you don't already know but unfettered capitalism got hold of the concert ticket market years ago. They will charge as much as they possibly can and if you can't afford it, gently caress you.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Earwicker posted:

yeah no poo poo, but i think the point here is that this specific move being made by NIN makes the situation worse (while coming with a bunch of bullshit about making it better). for a guy that has so often framed himself as fighting "the industry" in various ways it just rings really hollow. i mean yeah, obviously we live in a capitalist society and that governs how music and ticket sales work, but some artists try to work around that and make things more accessible for their fans to varying degrees. this is kind of the opposite

It's just lip service. Ever see how expensive Pearl Jam tickets are these days? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The website did say that ADA tickets would be on sale during the online sale of whatever is left. It's possible they'll be holding the same amount they usually do.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

spookygonk posted:

Worst support? I saw Atari Teenage riot support NiN in London, but as they were wrecked from touring, we got a set of deafening noise and screaming that hosed a lot of people off and up.

https://atariteenageriot.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-brixton-academy-1999-remastered

poo poo, 1999?

Also caught the NINJA tour, but as I only knew Been Caught Stealing I thought Jane's Addiction was mostly pompous wank.

edit But we got two surprise songs with Gary Newman which more than made up for it.

http://www.jdale.net/ninja-london-o2-july-2009/

When I saw NIN on the Wave Goodbye Tour (:rolleyes:) in 2009, he had Peter Murphy open for them. Then Peter Murphy came on for three songs towards the end of NIN's set, the first of which was Reptile, which he absolutely ruined. The air was totally taken out of the place. I like Peter Murphy and all but he should not be singing lead vocals for Reptile as if it's a Bauhaus song.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

glam rock hamhock posted:

If Trent didn't care about appeasing his audience, I doubt he would have brought back NIN in the first place.

Trent brought back NIN to appease his ego and his pocketbook, not us.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Skails posted:

Queens of the Stone Age opened for with teeth in 2005. I don't know if they were drunk but the sound was a garbled mess. It's been that way with most of the openin acts I've seen. Mars Volta opening for APC was especially dissapointing. I really enjoyed Deloused in the Comatorium, but live everything blended together into dissonant wailing.

I saw APC on the same tour with TMV opening and they were just so, so, so bad. One of the all time worst opening acts I've ever seen. Which is weird because everyone always claims how their live show (at least around that time) is some transcendent experience and I generally enjoy their studio albums.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I just looked at stubhub prices and they're going for about $2-$10 more than what you would have paid at the venue. You can never really predict these things but I am really glad I didn't waste 6+ hours of my life waiting in line.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

A human heart posted:

Q: do you know what the word pretentious means

quote:

This was NIN’s Downward Spiral tour, which ended up being the bands zenith, meaning it was their biggest and most interesting album along with the biggest and most semi-interesting point in their career. I honestly didn’t know much about NIN before this tour. I mean I knew they were popular with the MTV baby rock crowd and that they had sold a lot of records but I had never actually listened to one of them. Why would I? I usually have no interest in checking out what sort of bands the baby rockers dig. This is as a result of almost always hating whatever bands the baby rockers dig.

That’s not hard to do. The baby rockers are wrong. Wrong about everything actually.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
To be fair, Trent was almost 30 when TDS came out.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

roboshit posted:

Maybe I’m dumb, but is it legit buying these tickets on Stubhub? Yeah the prices are a bit of a ripoff but I would have bought a couple if it didn’t involve driving 3 hours both ways to Dallas to stand in line all day. I guess I thought the whole point of Trent doing this was so they DIDN’T end up on these sites?

I think Trent put this dog and pony together just to generate demand and stoke the ego a bit. You'll be fine buying off Stubhub.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
If old fans of bands got their wish (and this extends far beyond NIN) then concert setlists would be nothing but B-sides.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Your next project should be getting into How To Destroy Angels :getin:

They don't have a lot of material, but still. It's Trent and Atticus + Trent's wife on vocals + Rob Sheridan (NIN's old art director).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_GqVFa5GBA

No it shouldn't, that poo poo is absolutely awful

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
She's an awful singer. Or maybe not awful, but does not at all fit the pretty typical NIN instrumentation/production.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
You're welcome to your opinion but I think she's bad and ruined what might of been an otherwise great album.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Can't say I've heard it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That's a good track. Her minor vocal fill on the chorus was perfectly fine.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Buddy is it 2018 in Trump's America, we are 100% post-grammar at this point.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

magiccarpet posted:

trent is still salty he took made a hip hop record with a spoken word artist and nobody bought it

I really wanted to enjoy that Saul Williams album but I just couldn't. There were some stellar individual tracks but taken as a whole it was mediocre at best.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm so glad cellphones that record video exist.

Hard disagree. I would gladly forego the occasional good thing like this if it didn't mean I had to watch the entirety of every concert through some dickbags cell phone screen.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Anonymous John posted:

Next time go to the ushers/management and claim someone is being belligerent and aggressive to you. You'll either get moved to a different seat, or the other dude will get ejected.

Imagine being so lame that you'd tell security and try to get a guy kicked out for this

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah, shithead crowds, a guy standing by his seats.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Anonymous John posted:

This matter isn't about how one chooses to engage or enjoy the show, but about dealing with disruption. Including but not limited to, say, having an iPad on the brightest screenmode in front of you, or having to overhear others shout-talking during songs so that you cannot concentrate on the music. If more people actually confronted inconsiderate concertgoers, as well as reached out to the venue staff when appropriate, we'd all have better concert experiences.

I still don't get how a guy just standing in his seat(s) is in any way inconsiderate or warranting alerting venue staff (hey this guy is standing up, throw him out!), but hey, you go ahead and do what you need to. Especially after you put a hand on the guy.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

axelblaze posted:

The other seat wasn't actually his, it was an empty seat. Also, while I didn't actually talk to staff, I thought that suggestion might have more to do that the guy just started broing out and screaming nonstop at me when I very weakly tried to scooch him over towards where his actual seat was.

Also :lol: at the "after I laid hands on the guy" like slight physical contact is worth going full aggro about. Also I am an antisocial goon and I don't freak the gently caress out when someone touches me because why is that a thing that anyone would do? People that act that was just seem like assholes and I'm not sure why your defending it against a threat of having him thrown out that didn't even happen. All that happened was I explained the situation politely, he ignore me, I tried to move him over when he was literally making it impossible see, and he screamed at me for like an entire song while I tried to reexplained the situation and tried to calm him down. Really not sure why I'm the rear end in a top hat here but whatever

I never said you were an rear end in a top hat and obviously this explains things a lot more, but other homeboy was seriously advocating getting some dude kicked out for doing, what seemed at the time, a whole lot of absolutely nothing.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Anyway, dumbass derail aside, I've been looking at prices on Stubhub for the Chicago shows and they're starting to drop a good amount. $70-$90 for the various dates.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I talked to an older biker-looking dude in a Marilyn Manson t-shirt who complained about no one wanting to mosh. It's because they're old and would need to take a nap afterwards!

Our bones are also significantly more brittle

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

magiccarpet posted:

rock band still making money touring is a hard thing to pull off lately so im sure he'll keep it up
and eventually just do a residence at the hard rock in vegas because he loves that place

Besides the whole having to go to Vegas to see them, I feel like a somewhat (or wholly) dedicated venue for NIN would be pretty cool. Mostly from the sake of giving them a specific space to plan a stage/light show around. Seeing how incredibly well they can construct a stage on tour I imagine if they had a stable platform they could really ramp it up.

Just the same, Vegas is where acts go to die and put on the same performance 3 times a day (not that NIN could ever draw that) so meh.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That Palladium photo is super cool, would be great if they sold those online.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Great photos and I'd probably be on board if I went to the show but a little more than I'd want to spend.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Leon Einstein posted:

SAW 2 is a masterpiece. Volume 1 isn't nearly as good.

While I agree, I like 85-92 more. Not sure why.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
This is the best thing ever

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

axelblaze posted:

Vanilla Ice was bigger than way more than like 6 months. It's hard to overexpress just how big he was. He had a ton of hits that no one remember anymore and a god damned movie. But yeay, that's goota gently caress with you.

I've always had a hard time getting a read on Vanilla Ice. On the one hand he made his money last way longer than most flash in the pan musicians and dude has spent most of his life being considered a joke and still soldiers on, but he also seems kind of like a douche, lied about himself constantly when he was a star and literally went Juggalo at one point (until even those fans got sick of him).

Cool as Ice was a god drat masterpiece

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was 16 when YZ came out lmao

Jeez, this makes me feel old. I had a bootleg VHS copy of the uncensored version of Happiness In Slavery in like... 1993?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't even listen to Aphex Twin :psyduck:

You should buddy

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Pops Mgee posted:

Did anyone listen to the album without following the arg? I can't separate them in my mind after following that thing for months and can't imagine it's the same experience without knowing all the background to the whole story.

I was only vaguely aware of the ARG so me. It's a good album either way.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

empty baggie posted:

Without going as hardcore as broken (though the EP is an excellent starting point), the And All That Could Have Been DVD is a good starting point. Did they ever release that on Blu-Ray? Last I checked they hadn’t. Still my favorite NIN live release.

I agree, if you watch that and aren't immediately on team NIN it's probably not your thing.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Donovan Trip posted:

has more pictures with his music partner Atticus Ross than his wife.

The same can be said about anyone in a famous band

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Donovan Trip posted:

Not quite when your wife is also a singer, that you're in a band with, who assumedly goes with you to things like the Oscars.. but nope, it's just Atticus and Trent.

No one else in all the eras of Reznor is seen with him like that, it's not like Atticus is his first collaborator.

A band that produced one album that barely charted 6 years ago

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

axelblaze posted:

I have no problem at all with him being bisexual, I just think someone's sexuality is very personal to them and is not something that should be defined by others, especially with mostly circumstantial evidence and gossipy bullshit to back it up

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Donovan Trip posted:

He's been making it pretty obvious his entire career :shrug: next you're gonna say Bowie was straight

No, he really hasn't. I think you're somehow invested in this and want it to be that way but, again, a bunch of tenuous circumstantial evidence and reading into lyrics doesn't define anything.

If you go and google "trent reznor gay" or "atticus ross gay" or any iteration of that you get... nothing. Which isn't supposed to serve as some supreme arbiter of this discussion but if there was merit to it (or if anyone else was talking about it really) you'd think there'd be hits all over the place. But there's not. You'd think there would at least be some gossip and he-said-he-said type of stories.

Trent has been married 10 years and has 4 kids. I believe Atticus has been married just as long, if not longer. Which doesn't preclude either (or both, or all of them) from being bi, but it doesn't outwardly seem like it in any way. Their wives might both be beards but I just don't see it.