Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Leon Einstein posted:

I like those.

The yeahs are like the coolest part of the song, that's like the apex of the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
NIN using a NIN logo on their facebook page is not a clue.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This is definitely my favorite Warm Place remix as well.

On the subject of remixes: http://www.moddb.com/mods/ruiner/videos/ruiner-2010-gameplay-footage#imagebox

This (stupid looking) mod for Doom 3 has a gameplay trailer that clearly uses a remix of Ruiner but I've never been able to track it down. Anyone know which one it is?

I'm sure it's just another lovely fan-remix, there used to be tons of them.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Negative_Kittens posted:

Can anyone fill me in on why Trent seems to talk about pigs and troughs starting with Broken, TDS and continuing on into The Slip? Does it have something to do with the Tate mansion that he used to record in?

"Subjects for a NIN Song" is a really short list.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

hatelull posted:

On that note, does any of the stuff he does give the idea that the band was having fun in the studio or during recording? What would "Nine Inch Nails loving around in the studio" actually sound like?

There's actually a lot of miscellaneous collaboration and loving around on The Fragile. They had this whole system where Trent hired a bunch of guys like Keith Hillebrandt and Charlie Clouser to work in a B-Studio and do nothing but make cool rhythmic loops and drones, which they'd then be free to use. There's also a lot of weird guest musicians, where they'd call in someone and just have them jam all over the tracks with some direction, and then decide whether to use it or not. There's a bunch of Adrian Belew and Mike Garson on the record as the most obvious ones, but there's actually a ton of guest stuff, including stuff that simply didn't make it onto the album.

They did some of that stuff for TDS as well, I forget who it was, but one guy would listen to TV movies with the picture off and just sample anything that sounded cool texturally, which is where the stuff like the Texas Chainsaw sample in Reptile or the Godfather sample in... Ruiner? Piggy? - come from or the THX sample at the beginning of Mr. Self-Destruct.

I was completely obsessed with NIN studio stories when I was a teenager, I know a stupid amount about how those records were made.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 17, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It's interesting to be able to finally hear what the original version of Ten Miles High probably sounded like. It's like an intentional attempt at slightly tongue-in-cheek buttrock, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Sorry for being that guy, but does anyone else really dislike the sound Trent has been sort of stuck in during this post How To Destroy Angels phase of his career? This really murky bass and low-mid heavy sound dominated by obscure physical analog synths playing farty lines, overtly synthetic drum sounds, filtered white noise snares and bass drums that are all low end, weird glitchy screaming oscillator noises spliced in for background texture, and then a nominal "real instrument" sound like a heavily filtered piano or a guitar which we've been hearing since With Teeth, playing simple melodies and harmonic ideas we've been hearing since With Teeth.

I'm not trying to drag the new album, I like it, but it feels like he's been making the same record over and over for years and for a guy whose known for his production, he keeps using this ugly, limited palette of the same guitar sounds, the same piano sounds, the same synth and drum sounds, for a decade.