Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I liked it a lot, actually. I definitely would have preferred something more further evolved from NTAE than going backwards, but it's not a bad version of going backwards. Got me to spring for the $50 set, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I love the art on this one, it's hilarious

although now that I type that out, I realize that may not be the intended response

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Xylorjax posted:

It's really amazing how irritating the stutter in the loop is.

maybe that's how birthdays start feeling when you hit 52

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

glam rock hamhock posted:

As someone who really enjoys the album The Disintegration Loops I find it funny to see people losing their patience with the end of The Background World

:same:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

probably unpopular opinion: as much as i like nin, i think i like htda more

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I do love HTDA and I think their career was cut criminally short :smith:

I don't know if that's because of Mariqueen and Trent having kids or what, but I really hope they do more with it someday and it wasn't just a one-off thing for a couple years.

yeah, i'd probably feel differently if Trent & co had gone the other way with that (abandon NIN and keep HTDA around), but there wasn't a song on either the album or EP that i didn't at least like so the ratio of songs i love to songs i don't is way higher for HTDA. i also hope there's more someday, but i'm also pretty content with what we've been getting out of NIN.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

holy poo poo i hope there's pro-shot video or a soundboard recording or both

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

seeing finck walk offstage to swap the mandolin for a guitar made me happy for reasons i don't fully understand. a soundboard recording of this can't come fast enough :pray:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

This is old, but I had never seen it before—Rob Sheridan posted a link to this video of a live-in-studio version of The Becoming on twitter yesterday:

https://vimeo.com/68964572

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Samopsa posted:

if you wanna hear a really good drum cover of the perfect drug this guy has got your back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPf8KMxHB3o

:drat:

i'm always shocked/jealous when someone makes something like that look so effortless

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Vince MechMahon posted:

They didn't. They are literally selling the shirt she wears in stores. I bought one.

Hot Topic : Nine Inch Nails Inside Out Logo T-Shirt https://www.hottopic.com/product/nine-inch-nails-inside-out-logo-t-shirt/11872253.html

except that on the shirt you linked, the stroke on the rectangle shape is the same width as the letters, which is the thing that is not true of the movie shirt and is exactly what he's pointing out? unless there is some crazy perspective stuff going on in that still frame that makes it look different than in motion

edit: whoops, already pointed out. sorry, this is what i get for leaving pages open on different computers

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 14, 2019

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

As stupid as it might sound, this was my first real exposure to the NIN sound lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqSKqS91UdA

This album came out when I was 9 (same year as The Fragile, actually) and I listened to it endlessly :shobon:

Then later on when I was 15, I had a girlfriend who loved them so I got a little more into them, but nowhere near as much as I did when YZ came out.

ha! i think technically that and the polka where he uses closer (alternative polka, i think?) were my first exposure, but i didn't really start listening until i saw the video for only and even then it was years before i realized germs was supposed to be a nin sound. following year zero here on the forums is what turned me into a diehard fan, so thanks for that, thread!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

hbxli posted:

I dug through some of the unfinished mashups I had started but never finished for the "pretty hate mashing" album and found this little gem:

Nine Inch Nails vs. Ricky Martin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PFXO0QKOyw

that slaps

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

the theremin was patented in 1928, and this knowledge colors my hopes for this score

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Barry posted:

Never understood this. Sure, it looks nice, but isn't listening to any of them a total pain in the rear end?

a lot of the art in my apartment is framed albums, and in the same cabinet as my unframed albums i just have a giant version of those old fabric CD cases everyone had in their car in the 90s that you can cram a bunch into for easy access

still waiting for that year zero vinyl release, tho

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, holy poo poo. i remember being so stoked for being around for the very start of a reznor project and it seems like yesterday that the debate over whether BBB was great or awful raged on

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Rageaholic posted:

It's great!

:hfive:

that video is almost 100% responsible for me buying my first synth (because i looked up the price of a swarmatron and lol)

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Vince MechMahon posted:

I thought it was pretty clearly exaggerated to the point no reasonable person could take it seriously. It literally started with a reference to Doom. Poe's Law I guess.

Color me shocked that a mod hates jokes about there being fewer children around

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

STONE COLD 64 posted:

ADD SUBTRACT VIOLENCE

lol worth it

nurmie posted:

anyway, saw this floating around /r/nin earlier:

https://twitter.com/nin_my_nothing/status/1417161213742624772

it's kind of a bummer that the Everything video never got released, and looking back at it i don't think the song itself deserved all the fan hate. it actually really has grown on me over time - imo the only bit that's kinda dragging it down is the two-chord repeating bit in pre-chorus that's just a tad too corny lol

:aaa: there was an Everything video??? i mean, i knew it got cancelled, but i didn't realize that it got as far as production. did the footage get released raw like the Lights In the Sky shows? i would love to see that, i was always bummed at how bad a reception that song got

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i think that video is probably part of what helped me enjoy the song because i also was not on board the first time i heard it. but much like the meathead video for Discipline or whoever had the I GOT MY ARMS A FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP avatar here, i realized that i enjoy the silly NIN stuff as much as the super serious stuff because that line is very, very blurry.

i also loved the Miley Cyrus covers from Black Mirror, too, although i can't remember how those were recieved.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

nurmie posted:

i honestly never had an issues with the "flip flop flip" lyric - that whole song is kind of self-deprecating and sarcastic in tone, so it always felt, i dunno, appropriate?

i think that's exactly what i enjoy, honestly. like, yeah, some NIN lyrics are goofy when you think of them devoid of context, but within a song they help build a particular texture. i can't imagine that song without the flip flop flip lyrics, but i know some people who hate them even knowing they're a reference to the pere ubu song. it's ridiculous and i will never not yell along to it when the song comes on in the car

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i desperately hold out hope that there will be another HTDA album someday. i've enjoyed all of the reznor/ross collaborations since then, but Ice Age is probably my favorite music they've ever composed, and mariqueen's vocals were perfect for it

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1492579668981006336

This ARG was what got me really interested in NIN. I'd heard NIN prior to this, but the creativity and mystery of the Year Zero ARG really got its hooks in me. Year Zero is still one of my favorite NIN albums to this day.

same for me! i think i looked up the precursor to this thread because a friend showed me the only music video and within a couple weeks the arg started and i just got completely hooked on it

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

sticklefifer posted:

ixi's definitely right about how he plays with unresolved melodies, because my brain filled in an entire other note in that part.

i still need to catch up on ixi, but i know there were a couple times where she missed spots of ambiguity like that that would be really cool to talk about (albeit difficult if you've only ever heard it your one way) so i'm glad she's starting to dig into that! i didn't actually realize how much it happened in reznor's music until her march of the pigs video, where i thought she transcribed a vocal line in the verse wrong. turns out he just yells the last word of the line in an atonal way that fits perfectly into either interpretation, and once i heard that one i started hearing them all over the place. like an indistrial laurel/yanny factory

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSsRt_1l740

Today is the 15th anniversary of Year Zero, god drat

And it's still relevant today

:aaaaa: i found this thread (or its previous iteration) right before all the year zero arg stuff started happening and following everything unfold is what took me from "liked the downward spiral and the music video for only" to "i think this might be my favorite band" and i didn't realize i've even been on this website that long. i remember being so excited to get the album and grab the new website off the disc's heat sensitive ink because people were posting pics of theirs. good stuff.

also, now that i think about it, this thread is why i get the phrase "I GOT MY ARMS A FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP" stuck in my head sometimes, so thanks for that too i guess

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Rageaholic posted:

Just got to this in ixi's video, wtf lol

That's awesome and I've definitely never heard that in the song before.

the number one reason i miss guitar hero and rock band is because people used to rip the stems used by the game and you got to hear all kinds of weird stuff buried in the mix, and the horns in capital g were a total fedex arrow for me. i assume ixi will get through all of them eventually, but if you want to jump ahead and dig through some of them yourself, i think ninremix still has all of the official AND unofficial nin stems available. they're super easy to pop into reaper or garageband so you can solo and mute stuff to your heart's content!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjNLyzhGwUE

I still can't believe they played this, good god

i don't think i've ever really had fomo about live shows before but goddamn i would kill to have seen this

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i absolutely thought he was standing up to take a well-deserved break at the end but nope, gotta go from a wild drum solo into a nice slow piano riff :drat:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i have a half dozen of them (not pretty hate machine, tho) and the writing quality is all over the place. some get into really interesting context about the making of the album and what the band was doing creatively before and during the recording, but some of them are just bullshit filler/pr-fluff band history before a list of every track and really generic descriptions of how they sound. my impression of the series is that it definitely feels like a cash grab that occasionally manages to do something good, but i wouldn't count on it. i'd have felt ripped off if i hadn't paid a quarter each.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

good song choice too, drat. i know i have to be in a certain mood for the back half of that album but 1000000 is a fantastic opener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

hbxli posted:

it's beginning to look a lot like fistfuck!

i made a nin christmas album because of course i did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37HIOMhXok

late to this, but holy poo poo is wish an absolute masterpiece