Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Yeah, but he'd be rolling a single dice against the HQ

True, but the question was which was cheapest.

The Enterprise/Constitution would be a couple points more and let you roll 2 dice at SFHQ.

In this event it might be worth spending the extra two points on the actual enterprise as often as you're going to be under aux power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

True, but the question was which was cheapest.

The Enterprise/Constitution would be a couple points more and let you roll 2 dice at SFHQ.

In this event it might be worth spending the extra two points on the actual enterprise as often as you're going to be under aux power.

I'm not near my cards so I couldn't say for sure who had what moves (Feature Request for the Builder!)

I'm not sure what actions he would need to take to make the Named be worth it. He'll be thin on his other ships. Though additional shield might be handy

Edit: since I would personally consider a dancing enterprise to be an affront and a juicy target to honor the Founders with

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I'm not sure what actions he would need to take to make the Named be worth it. He'll be thin on his other ships. Though additional shield might be handy

Well he'll be only rolling 2 dice against SFHQ-- and it DOES get the extra defense die if he's firing primaries at range 3. So Scan, BS, or Target Lock could come in handy. And if someone does decide to jump his designated SFHQ-blower-upper he can throw some wiggles in there.

Though making the USS Enterprise attack Starfleet Headquarters is Not Okay. :smith:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Well he'll be only rolling 2 dice against SFHQ-- and it DOES get the extra defense die if he's firing primaries at range 3. So Scan, BS, or Target Lock could come in handy. And if someone does decide to jump his designated SFHQ-blower-upper he can throw some wiggles in there.

Though making the USS Enterprise attack Starfleet Headquarters is Not Okay. :smith:

It's cool dude, there's ear worms or something.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So here's how you really do it:

-Ferengi Missile Launchers
-Boheeka
-Drex

Go to battlestations with Picard or Dukat, activate Drex, fire the missiles. You're getting 2 attacks at 1 die, but between Drex and Boheeka they auto hit, and you get 2 tokens from SFHQ per turn.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

quote is not edit. I like little toy starships.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

So here's how you really do it:

-Ferengi Missile Launchers
-Boheeka
-Drex

Go to battlestations with Picard or Dukat, activate Drex, fire the missiles. You're getting 2 attacks at 1 die, but between Drex and Boheeka they auto hit, and you get 2 tokens from SFHQ per turn.

Never thought I would see someone advocate the missile launchers

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Turned out my last list was illegal, since I was priced antimatter mines at only 2 points for some reason

USS Excelsior

Jean-Luc Picard
Montgomery Scott
Mr. Spock
Lojur
Quantum Torpedoes
Transwarp Drive

USS Enterprise-D
Christopher Pike
Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver Miles O'Brien (base)
Hikaru Sulu
Nyota Uhura
Antimatter Mines

Ditched the photons for possibly more survivability? Plus, Pike going beep beep on those suckers.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
cloaked mines are the most amazing poo poo, I won OP2 based on having three of them. Dropped them in a cluster and it prevented people from avoiding the platforms or my mines which lead to me winning every single matchup! I can't see them not being amazing tbh

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gropey C posted:

cloaked mines are the most amazing poo poo, I won OP2 based on having three of them. Dropped them in a cluster and it prevented people from avoiding the platforms or my mines which lead to me winning every single matchup! I can't see them not being amazing tbh

Interesting. Did you keep in mind that the OWPs count as ships for the purpose of mine placement? Did you face a lot of cloaked enemies?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Interesting. Did you keep in mind that the OWPs count as ships for the purpose of mine placement? Did you face a lot of cloaked enemies?

In that vein, may consider adding a link in the OP to this preliminary, though not completely official (dude is one of the game designers though) FAQ

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1031156/st-aw-official-preliminary-faq

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
We use that FAQ in our OP because we're all rules paralegals.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

In that vein, may consider adding a link in the OP to this preliminary, though not completely official (dude is one of the game designers though) FAQ

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1031156/st-aw-official-preliminary-faq

Yeah we use that in our organized space war play. Someone got butthurt and emailed WK because its not on the "official" site and the rep who wrote back said it shoild be considered official.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Yeah we use that in our organized space war play. Someone got butthurt and emailed WK because its not on the "official" site and the rep who wrote back said it shoild be considered official.

The TO gets to dictate what is "official" anyways. Like TOs going to requiring faction pure builds, or (dis)allowing Admirals Orders

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore
Is the only way to get more dice for this game more starter sets? Do I even want a 2nd starter set?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LordLobo posted:

Is the only way to get more dice for this game more starter sets? Do I even want a 2nd starter set?

For the forseeable future yes. The only other alternative is to get Xwing dice and treat the focus (eyeball) results as evades. Or I guess standard d8s and 3-4 battleatations 5-7 hit 8 crit. Though I doubt you can use either option in most "official" OP tourneys.

As far as the utity of a second starter a second Vorcha is cool, a second warbird marginal and a second Galaxy not that great. Most of the upgrades are nice to double up on though. Counter attack, antimatter mines, engage, advanvced weapon system (tho now that comes in the Kogora too).

EDIT: and as I anticipated I've missplaced a maneuver template already, so I'm going to have to pop the sharp 2 out of my backup kit as well...

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 10, 2013

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
One of the guys who routinely finishes 1st or 2nd in my OP group just bought a set of these acrylic templates to replace the ones his students bent up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I want to get some blue ones from litko with a Starfleet emblem but that's a bit spendy.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

I want to get some blue ones from litko with a Starfleet emblem but that's a bit spendy.

For everyone's favorite game, "Space Wing"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

For everyone's favorite game, "Space Wing"

Zis is not a Powerpuff Girl! She has a mowhawk! And a wheelchair! We're not getting sued!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Adding to the OP:

Releases
Wave 0:
•Base game (Includes USS Enterprise D, IKS Mat-H'a, IRW Kharaza)
•U.S.S. Reliant Expansion Pack
•U.S.S. Enterprise Expansion Pack
•I.K.S. Gr’oth Expansion Pack
•I.K.S. Negh’var Expansion Pack
•I.R.W. Valdore Expansion Pack
•R.I.S. Apnex Expansion Pack
•Kraxon Expansion Pack
•Gor Portas Expansion Pack

Wave 1 (October 2013):
•U.S.S. Defiant Expansion Pack
•I.K.S. Kronos One Expansion Pack
•I.R.W. Praetus Expansion Pack
•5th Wing Patrol Ship Expansion Pack

Wave 2 (December 2013):
•U.S.S. Excelsior Expansion Pack
•I.K.S. Koraga Expansion Pack
•R.I.S. Vo Expansion Pack
•Koranak Expansion Pack

Wave 3 (February 2014):
•U.S.S. Equinox Expansion Pack
•I.K.S. Somraw Expansion Pack
•I.R.W. Gal Gath’thong Expansion Pack
•4th Division Battleship Expansion Pack

Wave 4 (April 2014):
•U.S.S. Voyager Expansion Pack
•Bioship Alpha Expansion Pack
•Borg Sphere 4270 Expansion Pack
•Nistrim Raider Expansion Pack

Wave 5 (June? 2014):
• Borg Tactical Cube Expansion Pack
• Bajoran Interceptor Five Expansion Pack
• Vulcan D’Kyr Expansion Pack

Wave 6 (July? 2014):
• USS Enterprise (Refit) Expansion Pack
• Borg Soong Expansion Pack
• Dominion Battlecruiser Expansion Pack

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 11, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Woah, another dominion ship I have to wait 8 months for? Weird, but I guess that does answer my question of where the mid size Jem'hadar ship was

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Woah, another dominion ship I have to wait 8 months for? Weird, but I guess that does answer my question of where the mid size Jem'hadar ship was

Kind of weird that they're farting it out after the Dominion War storyline is done with, but eh, now you can do "WHAT IF... THE DOMINION FOUGHT THE BORG?" in the next OP event (after the two cool one-off TOS ones)

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Kind of weird that they're farting it out after the Dominion War storyline is done with, but eh, now you can do "WHAT IF... THE DOMINION FOUGHT THE BORG?" in the next OP event (after the two cool one-off TOS ones)

where did you find that list? I want hot preview knowledge!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Well, if I don't want to start collecting Fed, I can at least start buying into X-Wing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

where did you find that list? I want hot preview knowledge!

Just compiled it from promo/preview stuff/BGG stuff, and distributor solicits. Mostly BGG.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Are there that many ships where they can keep plowing through them every other month?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

Are there that many ships where they can keep plowing through them every other month?

I'm still on the bit for the Enterprise E, which ain't even announced yet.

And you can always start re-releasing the same models as different unique ships if it comes to that.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
If they're willing to go with expanded stuff, which I really hope they are, there's a ton. A quick glance at wikipedia says that there are at least 60 classes of Federation ships alone. (Make the drat Vesta you bastards)

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
There were quite a few classes introduced in DS9 they could add, as well as the Ambassador or whatever the class the Enterprise C is called.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
The truth is all these sculpts have already been made for the Star Trek Tactics line, which I had never heard of, but appears to use the same rules as HeroClix. Just glancing at the Miniature Market page looks like they have the NX series, a couple of partially assimilated vessels, the Sovereign, and maybe some other borg ships in the pipe

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The truth is all these sculpts have already been made for the Star Trek Tactics line, which I had never heard of, but appears to use the same rules as HeroClix. Just glancing at the Miniature Market page looks like they have the NX series, a couple of partially assimilated vessels, the Sovereign, and maybe some other borg ships in the pipe

Unfortunately, that doesn't fill me with confidence for WK's long term plans for Attack Wing.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Unfortunately, that doesn't fill me with confidence for WK's long term plans for Attack Wing.

Licensed games have to go off the rails at some point, or just die. Only so many recognizable ships to work with, even x-wing will have that problem at some point

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If the issues that the Star Trek: Online devs have had are any indication, CBS keeps an absolute stranglehold on their existing ship designs and rights to create new ones. It doesn't stop them, but approval is apparently a slow, grudging process.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ElBrak posted:

There were quite a few classes introduced in DS9 they could add, as well as the Ambassador or whatever the class the Enterprise C is called.

Federation isn't going to be a problem for some time, but even the Klingons and Romulans seem pretty tapped as far as TV/movie canon ships right now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Seems sort of fuckin' weird that they made the Bajorans and Vulcans separate factions from the UFP, but lumped the Cardassians in with the Dominion.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Seems sort of fuckin' weird that they made the Bajorans and Vulcans separate factions from the UFP, but lumped the Cardassians in with the Dominion.

Yeah, I can't even remember more than a single Bajoran ship... maybe the Maquis will get added in there?

The Vulcans though? Wtf unless they go hard at Enterprise stuff, but there's no mention of Andorian or Xindi stuff soooo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The Vulcans though? Wtf unless they go hard at Enterprise stuff, but there's no mention of Andorian or Xindi stuff soooo

Well they did do the Enterprise Romulan BoP. You know, the one that was included when you bought your cloaked mines.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Here's a martha stuart tip for ya:

Take a marker in the color of your chosen faction and run it along all the bare cardboard edges of your range/maneuver templates. It looks a lot nicer and now you're less likely to have that rear end in a top hat across from you at the OP game accidently scoop yours up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"Game Trade Magazine" posted:

Coming in June 2014, WizKids Games will kick off the second Star Trek: Attack Wing Storyline Organized Play Event Series — The Collective. The Collective Storyline Event Series will be centered around the insidious (and popular!) Borg! Please look for more information at https://www.wizkidsgames.com/thecollective.

(link doesn't go anywhere yet)

• Locked thread