Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

Oh man, I feel like I'm asking too many questions, but this being my first game, I probably should. :ohdear:

Can Action skills also double as Knowledge skills in certain cases, or would I have to, for example, take Cybertech as both an Action skill and a Knowledge skill?

As written, no, they probably didn't intend for that, after all, knowing how to fire a gun and knowing exactly how and why a gun works are two very different things, but there are times where I will call for a active skill to be used as a knowledge skill. Usually with penalties, but for example, if you have no formal education on cyberware identification, but have spent half your life getting the poo poo installed, you're going to know at least something regarding it.

And ask away, that's what the OOC thread is for. You'll never learn anything if you're too shy to ask. The rulebook is confusing and was apparently edited by someone with dyslexia, so you really should ask if there is something you don't know.

On that note, feel free to use the thread to critique the run, npcs, my writing style, etc. I'm not a grognard, I want this to be fun, first and foremost. The tone of the run is meant to be mostly mirrorshades, but I will totally roll with some pink mohawk poo poo if you guys can pull it off. I mean, this is Cyberpunk. If you can't propel a small boat with the recoil of your minigun, you might as well be playing GURPS.

I'm doing this to improve my fiction writing as much as I am for my love of shadowrun and cyberpunk. Criticism is completely welcome and invited for anyone willing to give it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

The Bible posted:

As written, no, they probably didn't intend for that, after all, knowing how to fire a gun and knowing exactly how and why a gun works are two very different things, but there are times where I will call for a active skill to be used as a knowledge skill. Usually with penalties, but for example, if you have no formal education on cyberware identification, but have spent half your life getting the poo poo installed, you're going to know at least something regarding it.

And ask away, that's what the OOC thread is for. You'll never learn anything if you're too shy to ask. The rulebook is confusing and was apparently edited by someone with dyslexia, so you really should ask if there is something you don't know.

On that note, feel free to use the thread to critique the run, npcs, my writing style, etc. I'm not a grognard, I want this to be fun, first and foremost. The tone of the run is meant to be mostly mirrorshades, but I will totally roll with some pink mohawk poo poo if you guys can pull it off. I mean, this is Cyberpunk. If you can't propel a small boat with the recoil of your minigun, you might as well be playing GURPS.

I'm doing this to improve my fiction writing as much as I am for my love of shadowrun and cyberpunk. Criticism is completely welcome and invited for anyone willing to give it.

Thanks, I ask because Cybertech is a technical skill so I figured SOME amount of knowledge had to come with it.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Sorry it took me so long to post in the Buttbutts thread :shobon:. Hard to find an in-character way to say "My character is totally in" :v:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Classtoise posted:

Sorry it took me so long to post in the Buttbutts thread :shobon:. Hard to find an in-character way to say "My character is totally in" :v:

Unacceptable. I demand a minimum of 6 posts a day, and expect considerably more dedication from my players.

But seriously, poo poo happens, man, don't anybody sweat it if you can't post as frequently as usual. Just a game.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Hey Atlatl, what Mafia family was Amelia tied to, and for that matter, which Mafia?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I figured it would be the family she's named after (the Russo's) who are Sicilian types.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Also if any of you guys need help with rules stuff there are a bunch of us that hang around in #shadowrun on synirc a lot.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

What kind of Armorer test should I expect for "hypothetically" ripping the guts out of a pair of shock gloves and integrating them with a ninjato to create an electric sword?

If you would even allow it, I wouldn't attempt it until upgrading to an Armorer shop and taking a Melee Weapon Design knowledge skill. Which brings up another question: would I have to have two separate work areas for a cybertech shop and an armorer shop, or would they both be considered small enough to fit in one area?

EDIT: Superheated monoedged combat knife holy crap I was bored at work.

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 11, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

What kind of Armorer test should I expect for "hypothetically" ripping the guts out of a pair of shock gloves and integrating them with a ninjato to create an electric sword?

If you would even allow it, I wouldn't attempt it until upgrading to an Armorer shop and taking a Melee Weapon Design knowledge skill. Which brings up another question: would I have to have two separate work areas for a cybertech shop and an armorer shop, or would they both be considered small enough to fit in one area?

EDIT: Superheated monoedged combat knife holy crap I was bored at work.

I'll toss in an electrical engineering knowledge skill requirement there too, unless you want to risk glitching it without proper safety knowledge.

Probably around 4 or 5 hits. I'd let you do it all at an armorer's bench.

As far as adding an armorer's shop to a cybertech shop, I'd let you do it at 1.5x the lifestyle cost of an extra workarea.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

The Bible posted:

I'll toss in an electrical engineering knowledge skill requirement there too, unless you want to risk glitching it without proper safety knowledge.

Probably around 4 or 5 hits. I'd let you do it all at an armorer's bench.

As far as adding an armorer's shop to a cybertech shop, I'd let you do it at 1.5x the lifestyle cost of an extra workarea.

Well, how else would I learn other than through trial and error? :v:

Maybe eventually my character will read up on electrical engineering out of boredom and get an idea, but I was mostly just getting really excited about potential uses for Armorer and Cybertech that I came up with at work because it was so slow. Not really much I can do with Armorer except fix guns and maybe just add a monomolecular edge to blades though, is there?

Would that 1,500 nuyen be just to expand the work area I have, or a separate charge for a separate area? I already have one work area for my cybertech shop and armorer kit. And I'm assuming that wouldn't include the 5,000 for the tools for a Shop?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Bible: The thing I put into Orokos was something like 7d6t5, then the Pushing the Limit 3d6e6t5 (basically: 3d6, reroll 6s, target number is five). For whatever reason, Orokos just counts "reroll 6" as "and then add it".

So it's still just 2 hits (6 and 5), since the third was a 4. Hope that clears it up. Orokos kind of jumbled it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Classtoise posted:

Bible: The thing I put into Orokos was something like 7d6t5, then the Pushing the Limit 3d6e6t5 (basically: 3d6, reroll 6s, target number is five). For whatever reason, Orokos just counts "reroll 6" as "and then add it".

So it's still just 2 hits (6 and 5), since the third was a 4. Hope that clears it up. Orokos kind of jumbled it.

Use h when you have Rule of 6 running.

So If I have a dice pool of 10 and Edge of 3, it'd be 10d6t5 normal, and 13d6h5 when spending Edge on a roll. e and o are for rolls that count the number rather then successes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

Well, how else would I learn other than through trial and error? :v:

Maybe eventually my character will read up on electrical engineering out of boredom and get an idea, but I was mostly just getting really excited about potential uses for Armorer and Cybertech that I came up with at work because it was so slow. Not really much I can do with Armorer except fix guns and maybe just add a monomolecular edge to blades though, is there?

Would that 1,500 nuyen be just to expand the work area I have, or a separate charge for a separate area? I already have one work area for my cybertech shop and armorer kit. And I'm assuming that wouldn't include the 5,000 for the tools for a Shop?

Added monthly to your lifestyle cost. I'm working from memory, if I have the number wrong, let me know. I'm willing to let you have a combo of it for 1.5x the price.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

The Bible posted:

Added monthly to your lifestyle cost. I'm working from memory, if I have the number wrong, let me know. I'm willing to let you have a combo of it for 1.5x the price.

Oh, paying 1,500 instead of 1,000 a month? drat, too bad I paid for ten months in advance and JUST GOT 5,000 NUYEN :aaaaa:

Still it'd come to 10k total for the tools as well.

I'd probably take it, but not until after this scene at least.

EDIT: Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of interval would we be looking at for the customized weapons test?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

Oh, paying 1,500 instead of 1,000 a month? drat, too bad I paid for ten months in advance and JUST GOT 5,000 NUYEN :aaaaa:

Still it'd come to 10k total for the tools as well.

I'd probably take it, but not until after this scene at least.

EDIT: Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of interval would we be looking at for the customized weapons test?

Extended Test, 30 minute intervals seems realistic to me. You'll probably have to wait until after this first run, at least, unless you can convince Kim to get you some time at a workstation.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
poo poo, who's our face? ITR, I think you're the best at it. Somehow I ended up as secondary. We're being lowballed hard - get us some proper nuyen!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I could default on negotiation with one die. That works, right?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, we could make more money shaking down Johns leaving this shady rear end bar.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah, I'll get a post up this evening with my not-so-awesome but best in the group negotiation skill.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Uhhhhhh, I'm not entirely familiar with the Matrix rules, will I have to do a Matrix Perception test to to find icons, then identify Madd Matt's, before I could find him and start rolling teamwork tests or whatever??

I knew I shouldn't have taken the Computer skill. :suicide:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

Uhhhhhh, I'm not entirely familiar with the Matrix rules, will I have to do a Matrix Perception test to to find icons, then identify Madd Matt's, before I could find him and start rolling teamwork tests or whatever??

I knew I shouldn't have taken the Computer skill. :suicide:

Only if he's hiding from you, which I'm assuming he isn't. Since you guys have the full cooperation of the sysadmin for the moment, the only thing you need to roll to see is the databombs.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Uhhh, regarding that Electric Ninja Sword idea.....

http://youtu.be/YBPwo7CBQFk

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
ahahaha oh my god, what could possibly go wrong

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Atlatl posted:

ahahaha oh my god, what could possibly go wrong

He could accidentally be too awesome.

EDIT: Jyodi Drake - Mind Rapist.

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 13, 2013

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Once the data bombs are gone, what would be the proper actions for reconnecting the node and decrypting the files?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My guess is reboot, but I'm not sure.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

I don't have the book at work, but if that uses the Computer skill then HOORAY FOR TEAMWORK TESTS!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

Once the data bombs are gone, what would be the proper actions for reconnecting the node and decrypting the files?

Reboot. I'm just making that whole part up, since technical details regarding Matrix hardware have always been vague.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, that's what I tried to do and I got my hand slapped :(

I'll get another post in tomorrow with some rolly rolls

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

I would do a Teamwork test for the Data Bombs, but I don't have the Software skill and you can't default that.

.......For some reason when I first thought up my character I figured she could be a backup decker eventually, don't know why I didn't spring for a deck instead of buying TEN MONTHS of High Lifestyle at chargen. :shobon:

EDIT: This reminds me, I have to choose which of the Big Ten's grids I get access to. Which grid would make the most sense for a weeaboo to pick....?

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 14, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah, that's what I tried to do and I got my hand slapped :(

I'll get another post in tomorrow with some rolly rolls

Yeah, sorry about that. Resonance is pretty different though, so things like stitch work in very particular ways.

I'll be more attentive to player narrative though. I don't mean to stifle anyone.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 14, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

I would do a Teamwork test for the Data Bombs, but I don't have the Software skill and you can't default that.

.......For some reason when I first thought up my character I figured she could be a backup decker eventually, don't know why I didn't spring for a deck instead of buying TEN MONTHS of High Lifestyle at chargen. :shobon:

EDIT: This reminds me, I have to choose which of the Big Ten's grids I get access to. Which grid would make the most sense for a weeaboo to pick....?

Renraku.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Bingo.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Look at all these huge nerds and their computer nerd stuff.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

oh wait

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
I want to make sure I get the lore right. Adepts don't really have traditions the way magicians do, do they? Or did I miss that?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Viscardus posted:

I want to make sure I get the lore right. Adepts don't really have traditions the way magicians do, do they? Or did I miss that?

I don't think so, but I expect you'd find that a lot of adepts would identify heavily with Shaolin, various Buddhist sects, anything that emphasizes finding peace and control internally. Maybe others who are just way into sports, and even weirdos like social adepts, who I guess would identify with, I don't know, Pick-Up Artists? We'd need to invent a "negging" skill.

It's really up to the player, though.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Also it should be noted that Jyodi only really knows you're awakened. She's just assuming you're a Mage, not an adept.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Also let it be known that I do allow Magicians to summon the spirits of the dead. The book doesn't seem to have any rules on it, so I made up my own. The force of the spirit is equal to the willpower of the deceased, although it will be treated as 2x that for purposes of summoning and drain to reflect the difficulty of not only summoning a metahuman soul, but locating it as well.

This makes doing it as a teamwork roll much more easily. You also need the corpse (or at least most of it). Conjuring foci can be used normally. The spirit will not owe any services, but will answer the number of questions equal to your net hits on the leader's conjuring test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Classtoise posted:

Also it should be noted that Jyodi only really knows you're awakened. She's just assuming you're a Mage, not an adept.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I just didn't want to give an answer that didn't make sense. :)

• Locked thread