Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Brain In A Jar posted:

DoBRP was the best loving custom map series and I will fight you if you say otherwise.

Not only could you set up NPCs with a patrol route, you could also give each and every one of them unique dialogue when clicked, as well as having basic triggers for switches/doors opening and closing, etc.

All in a live multiplayer environment.

DoBRP was my first introduction to roleplaying, and I spent way too much time on it and its successor SotDRP.

Age of Myths was my favourite DotA-like from WC3 customs. Some of the heroes were incredibly fun. There was this spider who had the ability to create a giant web, then sit in it invulnerable while you shoot out webs at random targets to drag them in and damage them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

we played again

http://highper.ch/?id=death%20knights%20hate%20this

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I finally got my hosting abilities to work can we please play some warcraft guys??

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

dr.acula posted:

I finally got my hosting abilities to work can we please play some warcraft guys??

Yes. After our first custom gaming session for whatever reason McSlaughter just never got around to hosting a second

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
As an aficionado of the warcraft 3 campaigns, I was rather surprised to discover a few days ago that mission 3-5 of the orc prologue campaign actually do have voiceacting, but that blizzard stripped it from the demo version when they imported it to the custom campaign menu in frozen throne. Naturally, a mod exists to restore the voiceacting, which I downloaded from here. I listened to the start of the 3rd mission and found it awesome to hear new content after all these years. Definitely going to play through this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I enjoy playing the WC3 campaign every so often; maybe its nostalgia but it's just plain fun.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I enjoy playing the WC3 campaign every so often; maybe its nostalgia but it's just plain fun.

It's pretty good other than the undead campaign in RoC, which is a slog until you get Kel'Thuzad.

3-4 solid missions of chasing sylvanas, burning down elf towns, opening gates, being taunted by sylvanas. Over and over and over. :smithicide:

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Orc campaign was the loving bomb

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I am replaying the wc3/TFT campaign now. It owns. Best single player rts ever.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

i liked both campaigns except like the tower defense missions. the one in the human campaign is terrible enough, but the undead one where there's like 3 human bases attacking you with tanks, mortars, gryphons and whatever else can gently caress off. it takes forever, is incredibly annoying to play, and is much harder than pretty much any other mission in the entire game. i can do all other missions on hard pretty easily, but that one i pretty much always do on normal just to get the loving thing over with. ughhh

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The Warcraft 3 mission editor was fun as hell. I started messing with it shortly after release by fixing the various bugs in Cat & Mouse, which was decent compared to most of the initial custom maps out there. After that my brother and I started making our own projects with Hunters and Hunted (this was us basically playing with the editor features), NOLD (Night of the Dead), and finally Legacies: Tides of the Serpent (my take on what WoW would be - also the first custom to feature a save system). The last two did pretty well as far as popularity went.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warchasers was a pretty solid custom game, too.

WC3 campaign is great though; the undead campaign in RoC loving sucks because you don't get skeletal magi so you need to get gargoyles for anti-air or frost wyrms because gently caress that crypt fiend bullshit. Then TFT you get skeletal magi but you also have to deal with boats and, halfway through, Arthas turns useless; at least you get Anub'arak aka The Hero of Heroes.

All the other campaigns are solid though, especially night elf since you either get Maiev "Solid Snake" Shadowsong, who can kill anything anytime and blink infinitely and instantly OR you get two level 10 heroes (one of whom can just summon armies whenever he wants).

Human campaign, you get blood elves and naga. Which means you get to use naga and a handful of priests to heal them when they come back to town after murdering the gently caress out of poo poo I guess.

Ugh WC3 was and is such a good campaign. I hate that we'll probably never see WC4.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Hey, speaking of which: Are there any good Custom Campaigns? I found a bunch of defunct Warcraft 4s, I guess.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I honestly don't remember any.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I can't remember any either - a few ambitious startups but nothing that came to anything. I remember cheating my way through The War of Corruption (part one in a planned five part epic) but I've honestly no idea if it was at all well designed.

On the off chance that anyone overlooked it though, Blizzard produced a set of three extra maps for the Reign of Chaos demo (released some stupid length of time after the actual game) which expand on the orc prologue campaign, foreshadow TFT and introduce the Darkspear trolls (who otherwise show up unannounced at the start of War 3's main orc campaign). You can find them in the TFT custom maps folder.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That was a good little custom campaign. Orcs kind of got shafted in TFT but whatever. Shame it wasn't even voice-acted or anything.

That Rexxar campaign thing was loving stupid, though.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

That Rexxar campaign thing was loving stupid, though.
You misspelled "awesome". :eng101: Sure, it brought WoW upon us, but still, it owned.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
WoW was being worked on before Warcraft 3 RoC was released, so it was an inevitability. I remember a magazine that had the Tauren reveal, and it was about WoW instead of War3.

Either way, I was a bit let down by not having a full orc campaign, but Rexar stomping through the wilderness doing Rexar things was pretty awesome.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

That was a good little custom campaign. Orcs kind of got shafted in TFT but whatever. Shame it wasn't even voice-acted or anything.

that bonus campaign was actually voice-acted. just for some reason the audio was cut before release. there's a mod out there that restores the audio, I got it in a pack with all the normal campaigns updated to the latest unit stats. can't remember where I found it though, so you'll have to try google or whatever if you're interested

Big Bottom
Dec 26, 2007

Behind you
I agree with the guy who said the Rexxar campaign sucked...it was a complete borefest compared to the other campaigns. A waste!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I didn't know about the Demo campaign! I played it a couple hours ago, and it was.... Neat? Nothing crazy, I guess. Thrall is the only hero and he caps at 4 or 5, but you get decent unit selection for a prologue and it runs the gamut of generic mission types.

I do like the Rexxar thing better though, because by the end your posse become invincible poo poo-wreckers in a game of fake DotA.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I might have to play through the campaigns again after reading this thread. Which levels have the gateways to the bonus missions? I only vaguely remember finding some item that triggered a tower defense style bonus mission somewhere.

LokAmir
Oct 9, 2012
I belive you are thinking of the one in the Blood Elf Campaign. The item is in the mission where you save Kael from prisson. I will be honest, I have probably spent more hours playing RoC/TFT then any other game but I can't remember there being any other hidden missions.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

There are some sheeps that you click on in order to say ba rem ewe

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In TFT there is a bonus mission you unlock in the mission when you break Kael out of prison or whatever. If you beat the bonus mission (it's actually kind of challenging which is weird for a Blizzard game) you get to have a Pandaren Brewmaster on your team for the next fight, when you have to hold onto the Illidan prison-cage thing.

I don't remember bonus missions in RoC, though.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Is anyone interested in playing ladder here? I'd love to 1v1/2v2 or even higher matches if we get enough.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Multiplayer is all about the customs maaaaaaaan

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
The Illidan Tug of War mission was great! All of War3 was great.

Even further back on custom games, remember Can n Mouse from BW? Someone was a cat, Ultralisk and you had to as a mouse, Probe build a small home and run around collecting cheese in the wilderness so to speak before the cat killed you. Eventually you'd build mega turrets and the cat got creamed. Also, Sunken and Matrix. No explanation needed I hope.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Cat and Mouse was brought into SC2 as Probes vs Zealot. It's pretty fun.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Was War 3's skirmish mode always this hard? I decided to give it a go (1v1 Orc vs Human against a normal AI on Booty Bay) and simply got stomped by superior numbers. Then the same thing happened against an easy AI (Undead Vs Human). I was building up as fast as humanly possible and don't see how anyone could match the computer's numbers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pawl posted:

Cat and Mouse was brought into SC2 as Probes vs Zealot. It's pretty fun.

And Island Defense, which was freakin' stellar.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

ZeusJupitar posted:

Was War 3's skirmish mode always this hard? I decided to give it a go (1v1 Orc vs Human against a normal AI on Booty Bay) and simply got stomped by superior numbers. Then the same thing happened against an easy AI (Undead Vs Human). I was building up as fast as humanly possible and don't see how anyone could match the computer's numbers.

You'll be able to with an optimized build order. Download a replay from here http://www.wcreplays.com/page.php?section=replays and take a look at what they build and when.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

So, I've started messing around with WC3 again. I was looking for a custom hotkey generator thing that actually works for custom maps besides Dota. Any suggestions? Some of the things I found looked fishy as all get out.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Just buy a new, dirt cheap copy?

CD key gens are problematic because the keys rarely work in the first place so you need to spend forever trying to get a working one. If you at least get a legit copy you can complain to Blizzard and they'll deal with it.

schmitty9800 posted:

You'll be able to with an optimized build order. Download a replay from here http://www.wcreplays.com/page.php?section=replays and take a look at what they build and when.

Also micro is god in warcraft 3.

I miss melee. It was a nice balance between Brood Wars and SC2 for me. BW was fun but I couldn't get into how hard it was, SC2 just isn't fun. :(

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Hotkeys, buttons, in-game stuff.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

TheLawinator posted:

So, I've started messing around with WC3 again. I was looking for a custom hotkey generator thing that actually works for custom maps besides Dota. Any suggestions? Some of the things I found looked fishy as all get out.

Have you considered using key remapping tools like Joy2Key or AutoHotKey?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I've forgotten exactly how to do this but I remember back in the day that if you opened up a map in the WC3 editor you could see the code for any given spell and then you could just add a line into customkeys.txt in the WC3 install folder and map it to any key you wanted. I used to do that to map certain keys in custom games.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

I always used WarKeys, Anytime I periodically reinstalled warcraft 3 I use Warkeys to remap all the hotkeys to grid. It can make a customkeys.txt for you.

I loved all the singleplayer campaigns but the thing about the TFT Night elf/ Human campaigns was how massively OP Naga are. I could go on and on about this so I'll only name a few examples. Suffice to say, Naga are perfectly designed to counter Night Elves in almost every respect.

1. Naga Royal guards do absurd chaos damage with incredible spells. Oh and their water elementals have bash. Crushing wave spam wipes out the night elf ground army very fast. lol poor archers.
2. Couatl are the most overpowered air unit ever. Their damage is flat out absurd, they have good armor, and blizzard even threw in abolish magic for no real reason. Oh and they only cost 2 food, less than the 3 for dryads and all other good air units. Oh and Couatl do extra damage to dryads.
3. Naga sirens can cast frost armor forever lololol crippling the dps of your bears, the only melee unit (besides MGs) with a chance against Naga. As an added troll, frost armor is cheaper to cast than Dryad’s dispel magic *and* Sirens have twice as much mana as Dryads. Also only cost 2 food.
4. Naga Myrmidons are a spectacular T1 ground unit, also they have ensnare which can’t be dispelled by Dryads.

The icing on the cake is all these combine to make dryads are the most abysmal unit ever against Naga. The *only* naga spell they can even debuff is frost armor, and they do even that at a deficit. Also all naga units are very high dps so Archers get slaughtered as well. In fact archers are the intended counter to Couatl (at least, the armor types/damage types line up that way) but lose fairly decisively in a stand-up fight, Couatl OP. Oh and one final insult. Apparently blizzard just *forgot* to make Dryad’s dispel magic work against the Siren’s parasite ability. It does nothing.

All this made finally getting to *play* as the Naga at the end of the night elf campaign / human campaigns all the more satisfying. Theres even one human mission (yes, only one) where you can Mass Couatl and oh my god is it laughably overpowered. You can literally a-move the entire map on hard difficulty without a care in the world. The first couple times I did that outland mission I massed towers to close the dimensional gates, then I realized Couatl just kill everything instantly.

If Naga had been balanced as a multiplayer race, I might find it amusing to read its (very, very long) list of racial nerfs.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

It also occurred to me, I wonder if I could somehow play as Naga against Moon in a 1v1 if I could beat him. Are Naga in their map editor state OP enough for that? With Royal Guards, maybe, but probably his incredible micro would win out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Naga were ludicrous. In the mission The Brothers Stormrage, I always just defended my Night Elf base and did all the assaults from the Naga side.