Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I dunno, Gul'dan with a very open, very revealing robe wasn't great (doesn't skip leg day though)

He's a warlock, his whole job is to make you uncomfortable with what you're doing right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

i was really holding out hope for a long time but it's clear that reforged is a big stinky doo doo at this point and i'm pretty sure blizzard will soon or has already abandoned doing anything with this other than a 1 time cash grab (that they hosed up real bad)

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I hosed up more because I didn't get my refund

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

time for a joke posted:

i was really holding out hope for a long time but it's clear that reforged is a big stinky doo doo at this point and i'm pretty sure blizzard will soon or has already abandoned doing anything with this other than a 1 time cash grab (that they hosed up real bad)

its a bad game. F-tier

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

follow me on twitch https://www.twitch.tv/followgrubby

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

So what's the current state of affairs with WC3 Reforged? I loved the original and am thinking of picking it up. I understand it's super underwhelming compared to what was promised, but all I want is the original game sharpened up a bit and otherwise left alone. Is it that, or is it a supremely broken version of a game that was already fixed?

Edit: Before anyone suggests I instead get CnC Remastered, I already purchased it.

There's nothing redeeming about Reforged so far but they added native widescreen to WCIII in 2018 so if you haven't played in a while just patch or like me buy Reforged and only play classic settings.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I still don't know how it works. I bought Warcraft 3 many years ago, am I allowed to play my video game or do I need to buy Reforged for some reason?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

jokes posted:

I still don't know how it works. I bought Warcraft 3 many years ago, am I allowed to play my video game or do I need to buy Reforged for some reason?

You can play

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

if you have a roc and/or tft war3 key associated with your bnet account, you can download and play reforged through the launcher (on classic graphics only)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jokes posted:

If you have the CD but don't like Reforged it's pretty easy to play 1.27b and slightly harder to play 1.31 (which has Widescreen etc).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

There's nothing redeeming about Reforged so far but they added native widescreen to WCIII in 2018 so if you haven't played in a while just patch or like me buy Reforged and only play classic settings.

Oh that’s awesome! I still have my original WC and FT keys on BNet. So is there any point at all in getting reforged?

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Oh that’s awesome! I still have my original WC and FT keys on BNet. So is there any point at all in getting reforged?

only if you like the HD graphics/want to play the "new" campaign (barely changed)/want to earn icons&skins. i believe you can earn melee win icons without owning reforged, but you need HD reforged to collect campaign related icons. there is a new map setting in worldedit that lets you set a custom map to SD/HD (normal), SD only, or HD only, but idk what happens if you try to join an HD only map with a "basic" reforged client.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

chaosapiant posted:

That's fair. I'm just looking to relive the Chaos/Throne campaigns really because I'm old and suck at multiplayer. But the campaigns were loving awesome and I loved how of all Blizzard's RTS, W3 was the easiest (for me at least) game to micro with the smaller control groups and some units having auto-powers.

It's got the same number of units per control group as BW and 3 more than WC2

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I think what he's trying to say is that the unit counts in typical melee War3 are smaller. 20 minutes into a broodwar game as zerg (or the other races too, really) you will have tons more control groups to move around compared to the same amount of time into a game as any Race in war3.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

uniball posted:

only if you like the HD graphics/want to play the "new" campaign (barely changed)/want to earn icons&skins. i believe you can earn melee win icons without owning reforged, but you need HD reforged to collect campaign related icons. there is a new map setting in worldedit that lets you set a custom map to SD/HD (normal), SD only, or HD only, but idk what happens if you try to join an HD only map with a "basic" reforged client.

So, the HD graphic work in Reforged is quite terrible and aside from the myriad other complaints from WC3 fans it's the most obvious and glaring issue. Like the work is bad enough that on the orc UI you can't tell the difference between buildings the peon can make. So it really highlights how good and thoughtful the original art design was when you see how slapped together Reforged is. The unit portraits are pretty much without exception embarrassing.

Elephunk posted:

I think what he's trying to say is that the unit counts in typical melee War3 are smaller. 20 minutes into a broodwar game as zerg (or the other races too, really) you will have tons more control groups to move around compared to the same amount of time into a game as any Race in war3.

Yeah an endgame army in WC3 is like two full control groups.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

When do we get WC2 Reforged.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

GoG has a version that runs on modern systems if that counts

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Warcraft 2: Fatboi Bloodlust Edition

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

GoG has a version that runs on modern systems if that counts

No it has to have new but really lovely looking HQ sprites.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

When do we get WC2 Reforged.

When Blizzard admits that EA would do a better job of it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hey y'all remember when Starcraft Remastered went off without a hitch?

I keep feeling like the reason Reforged was a disaster is that WC3 is by far Blizzard's most ambitious game to that point, maybe ever, and has like five million more art assets than their previous 2D games to look after. For the same reasons, I think a Diablo 2 remaster would do OK.

Now if only the company were better.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The Starcraft remaster looks like a lovely mobile game

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The Starcraft remaster looks like a lovely mobile game

:shrug:

I mean, considering that most remasters are basically just improved/remade assets overlaid on top of the already existing engine and graphics I don't really know much more can be done short of remaking the whole game from the ground up. I feel like 2D/sprite based remasters are the ones that tend to be least impressive overall. At least things have improved in contrast to years ago when "HD" versions of games were first being released where they would just throw some kind of Photoshop smoothing feature over the artwork and call it HD.

A Nice Big Dinner fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 26, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

obese retard posted:

:shrug:

I mean, considering that most remasters are basically just improved/remade assets overlaid on top of the already existing engine and graphics I don't really know much more can be done short of remaking the whole game from the ground up. I feel like 2D/sprite based remasters are the ones that tend to be least impressive overall. At least things have improved in contrast to years ago when "HD" versions of games were first being released where they would just throw some kind of Photoshop smoothing feature over the artwork and call it HD.

The look just never appealed to me. I think seeing a trailer with high def cartoon mutalisks juttering around in the old frame rate looked cheap.

I think they had a cool opportunity to make some beautiful pixel art and maybe make the animations more articulated.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jeffrey taking over the forums from Lowtax just made me think of the ending cinematic for the human campaign.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Starcraft Remaster is done the legit best way it could be done. It’s gorgeous and I enjoy the milk duds right out of it.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
what do you guys think of the Starcraft Cartooned remaster? I kind of want to get it because it reminds me of Newgrounds era flash movies/games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMEh4f1psYY

I haven't replayed the original Starcraft campaigns in years, and I don't know if I would want to do it Reforged or Cartooned.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Jeffrey taking over the forums from Lowtax just made me think of the ending cinematic for the human campaign.

Warcraft III: The YOSPOS Throne

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WITCHCRAFT posted:

what do you guys think of the Starcraft Cartooned remaster? I kind of want to get it because it reminds me of Newgrounds era flash movies/games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMEh4f1psYY

I haven't replayed the original Starcraft campaigns in years, and I don't know if I would want to do it Reforged or Cartooned.

This threw me for a loop because I thought I was looking at a literal cartoon and waiting for the gag, while admiring how close to the original it was. The gag is that it's not a gag.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This threw me for a loop because I thought I was looking at a literal cartoon and waiting for the gag, while admiring how close to the original it was. The gag is that it's not a gag.

It's based off the Carbot series called Starcrafts.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

It's based off the Carbot series called Starcrafts.

Yes I recognized the style. I think it's cool they implemented it and in some ways (a lot of ways?) it's easier to read what's going on in than in vanilla.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Are there any sort of channels where people watch replays of bad players for WC3 or BW? I've been watching a lot of low elo legends for aoe2 and it's basically just someone who knows the game well watching really really really bad players and the baffling things they do and it's really funny and sometimes even educational. I don't know if either of the blizz games are the type that lend themselves well to this sort of thing but if anyone knows, I'm down to watch.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If I could buy Cartooned and not also Remastered, I'd get Cartooned. But as Blizzard is run by lovely loving assholes, I will have to satisfy myself with Carbot's animations (which are fun and also the punchlines are funny).

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Tubgoat posted:

If I could buy Cartooned and not also Remastered, I'd get Cartooned. But as Blizzard is run by lovely loving assholes, I will have to satisfy myself with Carbot's animations (which are fun and also the punchlines are funny).

i thought you had to be at least 13 to sign up for the forums?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

uniball posted:

i thought you had to be at least 13 to sign up for the forums?
:ssh:

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

i hate to break it to you tugboat but your posts kinda suck dude

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I hate to break it to you but you are the only one who cares, which makes one more person than cares about your posts.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

actually forums user time for a joke is a good poster and a member of Clan TOWA, which means they loving own. meanwhile,

there's not necessarily anything wrong with being a dumb white noise poster but maybe don't act like you're anything more than that when someone who has actually made cool poo poo happen gives you crap for only contributing mediocre background radiation 99% of the time

Kith fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 13, 2020

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

consider becoming like myself, refined uranium that gives off slightly higher dosages of lethal background radiation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

basically I'm like one of those turn-of-the-century radium suppositories that were stuck in dudes' asses to give them sex ability