Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Battuta posted:

I love you sarge

Aw sarge, I think you just hit some poor feller's dog

That ain't no dog lester, its a zerg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Always being too late every step of the way was just great in D2.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Thank god for cold fusion.

I got your zerg right here

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

THE BAR posted:

Always being too late every step of the way was just great in D2.

You mean you enjoyed not being constantly interrupted by a talking demon head that mocked you like a Saturday morning cartoon villain?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Groovelord Neato posted:

You mean you enjoyed not being constantly interrupted by a talking demon head that mocked you like a Saturday morning cartoon villain?

I didnt need that part of my plan anyway! I have (the next thing you smash)!

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I didnt need that part of my plan anyway! I have (the next thing you smash)!

Azmodan is explicitly stated to be the best battlefield commander of all demons, do not question his strategy of “constantly call your enemies and tell them both what you’re up to and where to go to stop you”.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I even enjoyed talking to all the townspeople every time I did or took on a new quest, just to see what they had to say.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

FoolyCharged posted:

I got your zerg right here

Video game cutscenes peaked here. It's been downhill ever since.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Of all the poo poo D3 gets wrong compared to the first two games, I actually enjoyed watching Leah become Diablo. Or even Adriah being key to the plot. I enjoyed those plot points.

But yea, Azmodan is loving hilariously incompetent and it came across as slapstick comedy to me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

Of all the poo poo D3 gets wrong compared to the first two games, I actually enjoyed watching Leah become Diablo. Or even Adriah being key to the plot. I enjoyed those plot points.

You know the first is gonna happen from the very beginning and the second doesn't make sense.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

player character from the first game (canonically the Warrior)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha etc
But for real, has anyone ever killed Diablo in the first game with a Warrior? Regular ranged mobs were impossible to take down.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

But for real, has anyone ever killed Diablo in the first game with a Warrior? Regular ranged mobs were impossible to take down.

I don't know, I re-bought Diablo I when it came out on GOG and found it just about unplayable by today's ARPG standards. Like the general clunkiness and slow pace contributes to a different, more survival horror atmosphere, but it isn't good anymore.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Use spells, corners, or ignore them. You should be pumping as much into DEX as you can, so your shield makes you invulnerable to single attacks anyway.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know it's pretty drat obvious to us the player in the meta sense but what exactly gives away the emperor kid away as Belial ingame? You have all of 2 conversations with the kid and then the next time you see him the palace your character calls him out instantly and it's like wait what.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tubgoat posted:

Yes. I played Diablo when it was brand new and finished the game with all three classes. It’s a bit more tedious to play nowadays but still perfectly playable.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

General Battuta posted:

I love you sarge

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Thank god for cold fusion.

I’m glad to see the thread correctly identifying the two greatest cinematics in gaming.

The Shame Boy posted:

I know it's pretty drat obvious to us the player in the meta sense but what exactly gives away the emperor kid away as Belial ingame? You have all of 2 conversations with the kid and then the next time you see him the palace your character calls him out instantly and it's like wait what.

I cannot remember an actual detail of the plot to save my life but I remember it being super obvious, just like every other “twist”.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tubgoat posted:

They also retconned it so the Warrior was Leoric's son despite Albrecht (the original Diablo) explicitly being his only son in the first game.

The Shame Boy posted:

He appears in a cloud of gas each time. I was gonna make a joke about it earlier.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 20, 2020

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I mean because if an enemy is running from you and you're chasing it at full speed, it will remain 1-1.5 cells ahead of you at all times while everything else in the room gets all the free shots they can take.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Battuta posted:

I think Mass Effect 2 (while a great game) is barely a sequel to Mass Effect 1, and Baldur's Gate 2 takes a huge turn away from the first game's pseudo-open-world simulationism into a more narrative and linear story that's a big step towards modern BioWare. Meanwhile FreeSpace 1 is this kind of vestigial Independence Day rip off with laughably poor line-level writing that imo serves only to offer backstory for the insanely superior sequel.

The Vasudan foothold on Vasuda Prime.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Comrayn posted:

I’m glad to see the thread correctly identifying the two greatest cinematics in gaming.

Don't forget the Terran end cinematics, Mengsk's speech is pretty awesome (though I was confused as a kid why the bad guy was getting the cinematic and not Jim leaving Tarsonis) and the great Starship Troopers-esque news reel for the UED

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

I mean because if an enemy is running from you and you're chasing it at full speed, it will remain 1-1.5 cells ahead of you at all times while everything else in the room gets all the free shots they can take.

And now I'm having flashbacks to 5 million succubi.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tubgoat posted:

I just bought it to play for the first time today, and picked warrior. So I guess we'll find out! :dbuddy:

(I have played D2 before jfyi)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Grape posted:

I just bought it to play for the first time today, and picked warrior. So I guess we'll find out! :dbuddy:

(I have played D2 before jfyi)

I'm pretty sure the literal only way you can reach Hell is by using a bow.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I never played D2 but the opening to Lord of Destruction is probably my favorite Blizzard cutscene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp20voR11gs

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Tubgoat posted:

stone curse and a shitload of mana and health potions, Diablo and entourage go down very quickly when stoned

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Diablo and Mephisto are honestly kind of dull designs, right out of a teenage metalhead's notebook scribbles.

Which is why it's weird that Baal is this amazing super unnerving mix of a creepy aristocrat, a spider, an octopus, and a ram.

It's like someone hired Todd McFarlane and William Blake to work on different parts of the team.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Grape posted:

Diablo and Mephisto are honestly kind of dull designs, right out of a teenage metalhead's notebook scribbles.

Which is why it's weird that Baal is this amazing super unnerving mix of a creepy aristocrat, a spider, an octopus, and a ram.

It's like someone hired Todd McFarlane and William Blake to work on different parts of the team.

Going just by their appearance in game, Duriel and Mephisto were more terrifying than Diablo (the Lord of Terror!!!) on a blind playthrough

Duriel, you're trying to dig into some deep rear end pharaoh graves, you reach the throne room, sacred staff opens the sealed tomb and you hop in. Huge beetle frost aura demon wrecks your poo poo almost instantly. Duriel is an absolute beast at regular level with self found drops

Mephisto, you clear the corrupted evil council from Swamp Church and they are a bitch and a half to deal with. Then you get to delve the Evil rear end Sewers and find the bottom floor full of blood and bones, enough to make a bridge to Hell. Mephisto is Too Fast and slams you with frozen orbs and lightning.

In Hell, you know exactly what you're doing. Activate all the seals and Diablo will appear. There is no sudden surprise. You know exactly when the boss is summoned, and Diablo appears after a delay. He has some ridiculous numbers on his damage and HP but you were given every chance to prepare, you know exactly when he is going to appear.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Duriel is the scariest because his sprite looks like he has a big rear end grin.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Also "Looking for Baal?" Is like the best VA in the game.

It hit all the emotion that "Ahh fresh meat!" Did in the first game.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Part of the terror of Duriel also back in the 56k days - at least for me and everyone I knew - was that due to lag and connections being what they were, there was a good chance that by the time the game loaded you were already dead. You'd just hear LOOKING FOR BAAL and drop dead.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Part of the terror of Duriel also back in the 56k days - at least for me and everyone I knew - was that due to lag and connections being what they were, there was a good chance that by the time the game loaded you were already dead. You'd just hear LOOKING FOR BAAL and drop dead.

Singleplayer had a similar issue, as the CD drive had to spin furiously to load his little sound byte, freezing the screen and player input for a couple of seconds, usually ending in a dead player before the game catches up.

At least now it's loaded in your system's memory, so next time you have a chance!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I never played D2 but the opening to Lord of Destruction is probably my favorite Blizzard cutscene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp20voR11gs

It's their best one.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

poo poo my friend and I had cable internet and it was still a dice roll if you survived the load-in.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That wasn't 56k. It was the game loading assets after you clicked the entry. They fixed it many, many years later to preload the assets when you are near the shaft.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's their best one.

poo poo my friend and I had cable internet and it was still a dice roll if you survived the load-in.

The music has always been killer in blizzard games. The drums and vibe in that cutscene was perfect. I remember as a kid popping in the warcraft 2 cd and jamming to the music. Then of course you had the hidden track of Medieval Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBODH8ElBak

I got so hyped at this poo poo just because of the music

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

George H.W. oval office posted:

I was hyped for the original teaser because I thought what ended up being the Infernals were aliens falling from the sky. Was bummed they were just demons.

Khorne posted:

That wasn't 56k. It was the game loading assets after you clicked the entry. They fixed it many, many years later to preload the assets when you are near the shaft.

Blows my mind that wasn't fixed during testing. How did anyone do hardcore???

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Blows my mind that wasn't fixed during testing. How did anyone do hardcore???

Same as softcore, you got your level 90 buddy to open a tp in the corner and you don't enter it until he writes "1"

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

The music has always been killer in blizzard games. The drums and vibe in that cutscene was perfect. I remember as a kid popping in the warcraft 2 cd and jamming to the music. Then of course you had the hidden track of Medieval Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBODH8ElBak

Oh neat, they took out the king in the throne scene.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Grape posted:

IMO, Mephisto has a pretty great hosed up design. It's not as neat as Baal's, but it's still pretty neat.

He's a floating severed upper torso with spine-tentacles and spindly spider arms cloaked in what appears to be wet, shredded skin. That's a lot more creative and unnerving looking than Diablo, who checks a lot of the classic burly horned demon checkboxes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Oh neat, they took out the king in the throne scene.

That was some impressively serious cutting on the patricide scene to make it look like noble humans readying for war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Diablo is just a cut-rate Horny don't @ me