Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Every-time I'm reminded of vanilla Diablo 3 I just remember Diablo had a female form during 3 and they gave him high heels and wide hips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLNb0Jd4_ws&t=158s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How else would we know it was a female?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I think Baal just wins for me because he packs in a nice degree of uncanny valley.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grape posted:

I think Baal just wins for me because he packs in a nice degree of uncanny valley.

He's also got the most personality.

Mephisto is way creepier in game than in any outside the game art displays with that kind of ethereal aura around him.

The Diablo 3 bitching thread was the best thread in this sub too bad kewpuh is super stupid and misunderstood a post and nuked it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tubgoat posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha etc
But for real, has anyone ever killed Diablo in the first game with a Warrior? Regular ranged mobs were impossible to take down.

poo poo dude when I was a kid I got stuck on Butcher for like, a month

SirDrone posted:

Every-time I'm reminded of vanilla Diablo 3 I just remember Diablo had a female form during 3 and they gave him high heels and wide hips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLNb0Jd4_ws&t=158s

And bewbs.

Blizzard seriously thought the thing Diablo needed was boobies.

Its like they looked at Kerrigan being popular and learned the exact wrong lesson.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cant let those Nova models go to waste

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Zaphod42 posted:

And bewbs.

And for some reason they didn't even commit to giving Diablo legitimate demon-titties? They're weird... bulbous plates that stick out of his shoulders.

Like someone decided to make a costume with titties made out of ladles.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean I like the idea of diablo's form being different based on who they possess, but lmao at heels.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oh same, it's a neat idea and it leaves room for cool redesigns.

But also: bone-boobs and heels.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

In keeping with that theme they should retcon the first game's Diablo into being a bratty little Lord Fauntleroy demon with a big lollipop who yells "I SHANT" a lot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Papa, bring me fresh meat

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Grape posted:

In keeping with that theme they should retcon the first game's Diablo into being a bratty little Lord Fauntleroy demon with a big lollipop who yells "I SHANT" a lot.

Stay puft diablo best diablo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grape posted:

It is bizarre the people making Diablo 3 forgot the first one was a little boy.

Anyone got that Facebook thread of Diablo 3 devs having a meltdown over a Blizzard North guy talking poo poo?

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 21, 2020

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

MY SKELETON PAPA SAYS I NEED'NT LISTEN TO YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

THAT'S MY SOULSTONE! I DON'T KNOW YOU!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Papá if you tell me once more to eat my vegetables and brush after every meal I shall be ever so cross.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is bizarre the people making Diablo 3 forgot the first one was a little boy.

Anyone got that Facebook thread of Diablo 3 devs having a meltdown over a Blizzard North guy talking poo poo?

The really wild thing about it was he really, really didn't throw them under the bus. It wasn't like he wrote a hit piece on Diablo 3. He was being interviewed and they happened to ask him what he thought, and he said he wouldn't have gone in the same direction and felt diablo was better as X and Y. But he definitely didn't just slag them.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 21, 2020

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
drat, I miss Marvel Heroes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

The really wild thing about it was he really, really didn't throw them under the bus. It wasn't like he wrote a hit piece on Diablo 3. He was being interviewed and they happened to ask him what he thought, and he said he wouldn't have gone in the same direction and felt diablo was better as X and Y. But he definitely didn't just slag them.

Plus everything he said was correct.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Brevik is not a throw-under-the-bus kinda guy to begin with. Saying he'd do things differently is not even an insult given he doesn't work at Blizzard anymore and most designers would do something different from other designers. They were all upset that he didn't circle the wagons and back them up as visionaries and the people whining as bullies or something. It really soured me on the people involved at the time and only showed how out of touch they were.

It was also extremely funny because Marvel Heroes was in testing around that time, Brevik made that game, and while Marvel Heroes was not the best ARPG of all time it was a pretty solid & fun game. Real unfortunate what happened with licensing & publishers.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 22, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PaybackJack posted:

drat, I miss Marvel Heroes.

How was Marvel Heroes, anyways? All I really wanted out of it was "Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Except More" and I had always intended to pick it up at some point, but never got around to it for various life-shaped reasons.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Kith posted:

How was Marvel Heroes, anyways? All I really wanted out of it was "Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Except More" and I had always intended to pick it up at some point, but never got around to it for various life-shaped reasons.

It was a mixed bag but the F2P was really good and I got a lot of people into it based on how easy it was to unlock new characters.

All the characters felt like you were actually playing that character. Guys like Gambit and Cable had dodges, while units like Juggernaut could do invulnerable for a while. Each character had a super move and some of them were just amazing. Dr.Doom for example threw himself a parade where he'd get carted around the area for a while on a throne by doombots while everything exploded around him. Punisher would call his van and drive it around dealing damage. Rogue was my early favorite because you'd literally use a "touch" attack on enemies and rather than having a skill tree of your own, you mostly copied other players/bosses powers. Captain America could throw his shield and have it bounce of 50 minions and while it was bouncing around he'd have brawling skills he could use. Storm would just roam midtown with a lightning storm constantly around her, zapping everything in sight. The voice acting was great. The story was there, but nothing special. The core gameplay loop was pretty fun, but the drop rates on good items were frustratingly low so you'd be running the same stuff over and over for that certain unique item you wanted on all your characters. The character skin system was great, and each guy had a range of cosmetic stuff. First thing that made me spend money on the game was the Steve Rogers Super Soldier outfit, then after that it was like Gambit as Death, God Emperor Doom, everything you could think of was probably there. Each character usually had 2 builds: Doom for example could spec into pets and summon lots of robots to handle everything, or you could go energy damage and just focus on blasting things. Deadpool could focus on guns or melee weapons. So the game had a huge roster of playable characters with a bit of depth on each one.

The bad of the game was that the art was on occasion extremely ugly, although it never looked too bad at range. The content was very repetitive and the major events were very slow to release but they were usually good. There were lots of bugs though, characters weren't balanced the best but they didn't always nerf everything that was overpowered but when a character sucked or was broken it took them a long time to get to fixing it. Kind of the worst situation with F2P games in that everything that could make money was prioritized over fixing/adjusting current content.

Last time I played the game they had just implemented controlled support and it felt really good as the Hulk, but definitely wasn't very smooth as ones that needed to quickly target AOEs. So if you wanted an Ultimate Alliance type feel, it got there closer to the end of the game's life cycle but really it depended who you played.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The game was kind of a janky mess (the Omega system :lol:) and once you got over the initial joy of feeling like Wolverine you realized 99% of characters controlled the same with different animations, but the game FELT a joy to play and the loop was satisfying, which is what really matters.

There were tons of different activities, from standard ARPG maps to hero defense to what was essentially an endless boss rush in Midtown Manhattan. Defense didn't matter - no resists to worry about and even many bosses were toothless, so you were free to focus on blowing up the screen as efficiently as possible, which is a philosophy I'd love to see in another ARPG. The few unique characters, like Rogue and Dr. Strange, really did stand out.

But the crown jewel was movement. Every character could either dash, teleport or fly more or less forever with no restrictions. Some characters attacked with their movement skills! The real death of the game was when all this crazy movement was gutted in favor of modern-style short dashes with a significant cooldown, which destroyed the amazing sense of momentum and with it, the fun.

RIP to a real one.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

jaina proudmoore is old lol

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Amnomia posted:

jaina proudmoore is old lol

no she teleported back in time, and cast MC'ed on her younger body, fulfilling it with her memories, then cast Time Warp on her new body putting her at the EXACT moment when her older body was, giving her immortality

you ignorant slut, please read comics, you will know TRUE LORE

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

no she teleported back in time, and cast MC'ed on her younger body, fulfilling it with her memories, then cast Time Warp on her new body putting her at the EXACT moment when her older body was, giving her immortality

you ignorant slut, please read comics, you will know TRUE LORE

counterpoint: she has grey hair

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

She doesn't have Rogue hair anymore?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Diablo is just a cut-rate Horny don't @ me

Why would I @ you, this is true.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huPF3Gid7DE

This is the guy they had their tantrum over.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

in over 50% of 4v4s I play someone is afk or leaves before the load screen finishes

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

in over 50% of 4v4s I play someone is afk or leaves before the load screen finishes

Finally recaptured that classic WarCraft III feel.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Only if spamming basic units with the AFK base is a vastly more effective tactic than whatever idiotic ploy the actual RT player would do if he was still playing.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Tubgoat posted:

Finally recaptured that classic WarCraft III feel.

For real. Back in the day, I got decent at min-maxing my early game and tried to play enough matches for a cool account icon. It was an absolute waste of time. I gave up because I spent more time queueing -> ally flips their poo poo that I made The Wrong Building or Put The Building In Wrong Place -> ally leaves or just having them AFK until drop etc. I spent the vast majority of my time on that, and rarely had a fun game with people that would play the game and coordinate with me.

I had real life friends that played WC3, but they would never play ladder. 100% custom maps. I didn't complain, because I loving love custom maps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I had real life friends that played WC3, but they would never play ladder. 100% custom maps.

Same experience.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Congratulations, Blizzard, my purpose-made gaming laptop now chugs on the main screen, and this loving computer was able to run the game before they fixed it so that it could almost run on computers that were new when Frozen Throne was released.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
And the file size is huge even if you dont have reforged. Not that space is the biggest concern but cmon

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Isn’t that because the main screen is actually now a poorly optimized chrome instance eating up all the ram?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Yeah but somehow it's got even worse between then and now. :thunkgun:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tubgoat posted:

Yeah but somehow it's got even worse between then and now. :thunkgun:
It wasn't a chrome instance in classic wc3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

All that is old is new again