Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Med School posted:

Thank you!

So great to at least play the original game without buying reforged and also to just pretend reforged never happened.

Thinking about it, Warcraft 3 was one of the last games of that tradition that had awesome, thick manuals packed with lore. The Warcraft 2 manual was really one of the reasons I started drawing all the time as a little kid. Those were the days for manuals!

Top tier bathroom reading, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The warcraft 3 manual was practically a book if I recall

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All the blizz games had great manuals that I recall

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I remember the starcraft manual being fun to read too yeah

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think the first Neverwinter Nights came out right near the same time, and it had a beautiful spiral bound manual. I still have mine. I miss big manuals.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

jokes posted:

Oh my god yes

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
That’s what I’m saying I am not getting even low quality bathroom reading out of these modern game manuals

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i fondly remember reading the dungeon keeper manual on the toilet and in other places

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm so old we had to read the manual because the game would ask you questions that you needed to look in the manual to find the answers to.

Classic computer guy dumb logic, the people smart enough to have the technical know-how to copy a floppy somehow aren't also aware of the existence of copy machines.

Props to my avatar's prequel game, space quest 4 (where the quote comes from) which required you to check the box art.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

PaybackJack posted:

I'm so old we had to read the manual because the game would ask you questions that you needed to look in the manual to find the answers to.

Classic computer guy dumb logic, the people smart enough to have the technical know-how to copy a floppy somehow aren't also aware of the existence of copy machines.

Props to my avatar's prequel game, space quest 4 (where the quote comes from) which required you to check the box art.

My favorite version of this was in one of the metal gear games where you had to look at the back of the case and cheat in order to k ow how to contact someone.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I remember thinking the Uniracers manual for SNES was the funniest thing in the world when I was a kid, maybe I should track down a copy and see if it holds up. All I remember about it now is a joke trying to justify the "you move faster in the air" mechanic that was something like "planes are faster than cars, right? therefore,"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FoolyCharged posted:

My favorite version of this was in one of the metal gear games where you had to look at the back of the case and cheat in order to k ow how to contact someone.

I don't think that was cheating lol. For a lot of people it was probably one of the first meta things we've ever noticed in gaming or hell even other media

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

jokes posted:

I was the youngest in the family, so while my older siblings had their computer time, I would be off to the side reading the manuals while I waited. The Blizzard manuals (pretty much everything before War 3, since we had TWO Windows machines by that time) were favourites because of the fun lore and awesome 90s artwork. I sort of wonder if I was as old then as I am now if I would've taken to that artwork the same way or if I would've looked at it and been like "yeah I guess these programmers weren't paying the bills with their art skills"

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Those manuals are probably low key part of the reason Blizzard and Blizzard lore got so popular, because they were relatively well written pulp sci-fi / fantasy with :krad: Metzen art. It got people invested into the world of these games.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I re-read the Warcraft II and Starcraft manuals many times, while internalizing little of the lore directly from the games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah I re-read the Warcraft II and Starcraft manuals many times, while internalizing little of the lore directly from the games.

This is the proper way to absorb Warcraft/Starcraft lore.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think that was cheating lol. For a lot of people it was probably one of the first meta things we've ever noticed in gaming or hell even other media

Yeah i think it was literally the only way to get the frequency (apart from looking up a guide and actually cheating), or at least the way that the game was encouraging you to do it. I was about to wonder what you were supposed to do if you bought a used copy with no case but we did have the internet then, didn't we

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah i think it was literally the only way to get the frequency (apart from looking up a guide and actually cheating), or at least the way that the game was encouraging you to do it. I was about to wonder what you were supposed to do if you bought a used copy with no case but we did have the internet then, didn't we

Suuuuuuucks to be them. Worth it for the gag.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I remember in the later era of renting games from blockbuster or hollywood video, long after the original box/jewel case had been destroyed, someone made sure to slip a scrap of paper in with the metal gear codec rosetta stone or what have you. No photocpied manual, no box, just a cartridge or CD, but oh yeah you'll need this to progress (slips in post-it note reading 'Marrils coded - 140.15')

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Yeah now days I can clearly see that Metzen and Samwise are low tier artists. But when I was 9 all that hit me in a completely different way.

The manuals had the right amount of works building to get a little kid super invested in the world. Looking back, those books elevated the those games higher than the sum of their parts and mechanics. I mean you couldn’t even select more than 9 loving units.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Med School posted:

Yeah now days I can clearly see that Metzen and Samwise are low tier artists. But when I was 9 all that hit me in a completely different way.

The manuals had the right amount of works building to get a little kid super invested in the world. Looking back, those books elevated the those games higher than the sum of their parts and mechanics. I mean you couldn’t even select more than 9 loving units.

So what you're saying is that Blizzard should make War4 with an $80 manual.

(also ignore all of WoW post Wrath)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Didn't wow royally gently caress up the storyline that the RTS games had worked toward? Like the orcs being scourge aligned?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The story in WC3 is corny and makes no sense anyway

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

one thing i really didnt like in wow or wc3 was that there was always a "relatively good" offshoot of every evil faction, like the forsaken vs the scourge. it would've been more fun if the horde had just been evil guys bent on conquest with the orcs as moderates and the scourge undead as the radicals

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't wow royally gently caress up the storyline that the RTS games had worked toward? Like the orcs being scourge aligned?

WoW has Sylvanas' faction of free undead join the Orcs (and the rest of the Horde). It was an alliance out of practicality and shared dislike of the, umm, Alliance.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The story in WC3 is corny and makes no sense anyway

It makes perfect sense for what it was though

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

one thing i really didnt like in wow or wc3 was that there was always a "relatively good" offshoot of every evil faction, like the forsaken vs the scourge. it would've been more fun if the horde had just been evil guys bent on conquest with the orcs as moderates and the scourge undead as the radicals

Basically any faction you play gets multiple storylines where it turns out the other faction is doing constant war crimes. Factions will from time to time briefly unite to assassinate god.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The Night Elves joining the Alliance is just as weird as the Undead joining the Horde, but flattening everything into two big factions is what made sense for WoW's gameplay. I really vibed with the Horde back in WC3; I enjoyed that, despite not being the literal white knights, they still got to be people, rather than just The Bad Guys. WoW's storylines have been frustrating, because, despite a lot of those WC3 Horde vibes being carried forward, things keep coming around to the Horde, or some part of it, being The Bad Guys that both sides have to join forces to defeat. I wouldn't mind so much if the same happened to the Alliance occasionally, but it never works out that way.

If any of y'all have Tabletop Sim, I recently put this together. I took an existing card game that had some major WC3 influences (but pretty awful art) and gave it a complete Warcraft makeover.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fenn the Fool! posted:

The Night Elves joining the Alliance is just as weird as the Undead joining the Horde, but flattening everything into two big factions is what made sense for WoW's gameplay.
It has a similar justification: the Elves aren't going to ally themselves with the faction that just cut down a shitload of their trees.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Oh sure, they hate the Horde, but that doesn't meant they like the Alliance. WC3 Night Elves would have been perfectly fine staying independent, but WoW's structure meant everybody needed to be on one team or the other.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If they ever do make a WC4, they should just do a timeloop thing where WoW didn't happen and we just build off of 3 instead

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

If they ever do make a WC4, they should just do a timeloop thing where WoW didn't happen and we just build off of 3 instead

It really doesn't make the slightest sense to do otherwise, barring the occasional nod to it. WoW is so big and convoluted and long that anyone coming from older games and not wow would find themselves in functionally a completely new setting. There's just no functional way to convey all that madness, hell this thread does a pretty good job and imagine having to read through all those lore posts to hit the point where you understand why there are spaceships, who the gently caress are all these characters they keep introducing, and why is this character still alive?

You mean they were killed off a second time in WoW and they're still around?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Secondary dimension of Warcraft, created the moment that Arthas put on his hat

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

It really doesn't make the slightest sense to do otherwise, barring the occasional nod to it. WoW is so big and convoluted and long that anyone coming from older games and not wow would find themselves in functionally a completely new setting.

Honestly I've tried playing wow and I can't make heads or tails of what the story of that game is supposed to be. I joined late and the game has no interest in telling me what the story of anything but the current expansion is, i guess you just need a wiki at this point

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's an accumulation of a lot of abandoned stories

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think if they ever did do a Warcraft 4 it would definitely be set in some WoW time period, the playerbase is massive even now and they'd want to try and get a lot of them to play it. You'd just explain the parts of the WoW universe that are relevant to the plot of the game and probably have a new character who's the equivalent of Arthas or Raynor in Starcraft and have new stuff happen in it that probably wouldn't be reflected in WoW cause that'd be very complicated.

They probably won't do a Warcraft 4 though, I guess maybe the MS acquisition might make it slightly more likely since MS seems to like having all the genres on game pass and they've been doing stuff with Age of Empires.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
They should just redo warcraft 3 :haw:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

They should just redo warcraft 3 :haw:

Announcing Warcraft 3 classic; preorder today for only $30 and get early access to the upcoming frozen throne: classic expansion

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the feeling i got in early wow was of a traditional rpg adventurer, going from town to town helping people with their problems and getting rewards so i could explore the world. the "big picture" plots about sylvanas or thrall or whatever were never interesting to me, and i lost interest in the game when it became all about that and Big Raids and stuff

in early wow you got to see the world built up in wc3 at a personal, local level. doing it the other way around by building an rts set in the convoluted mess of modern wow wouldnt work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

They couldn't even remaster WC3 successfully (eve while charging $30), it's really sweet to hear you guys extrapolate about 2022 blizzard making WC4. I think it will never happen, no matter what.