Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win?
This poll is closed.
Vishy Anand 3 2.26%
Magnus Carlsen 30 22.56%
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov 100 75.19%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Coool pawn steal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
What a weird match so far. Games 1 and 2 were basically mirror images of each other, and it now looks like the same will be true of games 3 and 4. Both players have played significantly better with black than with white, and have defended better than they have attacked. At least these last two games have offered plenty of entertainment.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 13, 2013

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I came in on move 37, and I think that questions about Anand's ambitiousness should be answered now that he sacrificed two pawns for attack in a queenless middlegame.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

I came in on move 37, and I think that questions about Anand's ambitiousness should be answered now that he sacrificed two pawns for attack in a queenless middlegame.

Most definitely. This is the Anand I admire.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This game is very much a Carlsen game with how long they're fighting over exactly how and when they will inevitably reduce down to RPP v RP. And I wouldn't be surprised if that was played to the end, too.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
This is the first game I'm watching live, does Carlsen always look so exasperated? If I didn't know any better, and I don't, it looks like he's truly dumbstruck that things are going longer than he thought.

Edit: At this point in the game, with this many pieces in play, we're extremely unlikely to see a blunder, right? Because these guys should be able to be fully capable of predicting what's going to happen for any given move?

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

This game is very much a Carlsen game with how long they're fighting over exactly how and when they will inevitably reduce down to RPP v RP. And I wouldn't be surprised if that was played to the end, too.

Would anyone be willing and able to explain a couple quick strategic principles of this RPPvRP endgame to a player who knows pretty much just basic pawn endings? I'm sure Carlsen and Anand wouldn't be fighting this hard over an endgame I could learn quickly (or at all) but it'd be cool to have some idea what I'm watching here.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
It's just the way he is. He can seem a bit awkward sometimes. Very exciting game by the way.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

e: PGN:
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.O-O Nxe4 5.d4 Nd6 6.Bxc6 dxc6 7.dxe5 Nf5 8.Qxd8+ Kxd8 9.h3 Bd7 10.Rd1 Be7 11.Nc3 Kc8 12.Bg5 h6 13.Bxe7 Nxe7 14.Rd2 c5 15.Rad1 Be6 16.Ne1 Ng6 17.Nd3 b6 18.Ne2 Bxa2 19.b3 c4 20.Ndc1 cxb3 21.cxb3 Bb1 22.f4 Kb7 23.Nc3 Bf5 24.g4 Bc8 25.Nd3 h5 26.f5 Ne7 27.Nb5 hxg4 28.hxg4 Rh4 29.Nf2 Nc6 30.Rc2 a5 31.Rc4 g6 32.Rdc1 Bd7 33.e6 fxe6 34.fxe6 Be8 35.Ne4 Rxg4+ 36.Kf2 Rf4+ 37.Ke3 Rf8 38.Nd4 Nxd4 39.Rxc7+ Ka6 40.Kxd4 Rd8+ 41.Kc3 Rf3+ 42.Kb2 Re3 43.Rc8 Rdd3 44.Ra8+ Kb7 45.Rxe8 Rxe4 46.e7 Rg3 47.Rc3 Re2+ 48.Rc2 Ree3 49.Ka2 g5 50.Rd2 Re5 51.Rd7+ Kc6 52.Red8 Rge3 53.Rd6+ Kb7 54.R8d7+ Ka6 55.Rd5 Re2+ 56.Ka3 Re6 57.Rd8 g4 58.Rg5 Rxe7 59.Ra8+ Kb7 60.Rag8 a4 61.Rxg4 axb3 62.R8g7 Ka6 63.Rxe7 Rxe7 64.Kxb3 1/2-1/2

McNerd posted:

Would anyone be willing and able to explain a couple quick strategic principles of this RPPvRP endgame to a player who knows pretty much just basic pawn endings? I'm sure Carlsen and Anand wouldn't be fighting this hard over an endgame I could learn quickly (or at all) but it'd be cool to have some idea what I'm watching here.

When the pawns are on the same side like this, there's no way for the 'up' side to advance without trading down a set of pawns. Once that happens, the resulting position is a very elementary draw that amazingly has its own wikipedia page (see: Philidor position).

Paramemetic posted:

This is the first game I'm watching live, does Carlsen always look so exasperated? If I didn't know any better, and I don't, it looks like he's truly dumbstruck that things are going longer than he thought.
Someone twittered somewhere that Carlsen is apparently fairly pissed off. He did have a winnable position earlier, and he didn't press it properly.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 15, 2013

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

When the pawns are on the same side like this, there's no way for the 'up' side to advance without trading down a set of pawns. Once that happens, the resulting position is a very elementary draw that amazingly has its own wikipedia page (see: Philidor position).

Thanks for the outline! I figured Black had to have some minute winning chances or it'd have been settled by that point; guess not.

I swear I am sitting down and practicing single pawn Rook endgames all weekend if I have to. It's completely ridiculous how many times I've read up on the Philidor and Lucena positions and still couldn't set them up on a board if you paid me.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hand Knit posted:

Someone twittered somewhere that Carlsen is apparently fairly pissed off. He did have a winnable position earlier, and he didn't press it properly.

I'm not able to follow the game properly due to work, so was this winnable position in the middle game or end game?

Carlsen seems (at least, to me) to manage to get a lot of his wins by squeezing the opponent during the endgame, so it's somewhat surprising if he screwed it up in the endgame. On the other hand, endgames can be so drat tricky...

White Paper
Sep 24, 2000
move 37 with tf8 allowing sd4 was perhaps the biggest mistake from Magnus this game, g5 would have put him in a very winnable position.
Was a fun game to follow though, Anand can play some serious defence.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

White Paper posted:

move 37 with tf8 allowing sd4 was perhaps the biggest mistake from Magnus this game, g5 would have put him in a very winnable position.

Thinking about it, his defense will be his saving grace this match. If he can force a draw through the first games, it'll advance to rapid, and my understanding is Anand will school Carlsen in that format.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Paramemetic posted:

Thinking about it, his defense will be his saving grace this match. If he can force a draw through the first games, it'll advance to rapid, and my understanding is Anand will school Carlsen in that format.

Back in 2009, Carlsen won the World Blitz Championship by a full three points over Anand (who in turn was at least three points ahead of everyone else). That's not to say he's actually better: Anand is great in rapid formats. But it would be hard to say Carlsen would be an underdog, though it's probably closer to a toss-up than a long series at classical time controls.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 13, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Biggest moment of the game was when Anand actually stood up and walked away from the board.

Then comes back and sits down with a cup of tea :c00l:

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
All of the games so far have been amazing. Very instructive in ways I can't put into words right now. Maybe it's more of a feeling than something I'm thinking.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

crimedog posted:

All of the games so far have been amazing. Very instructive in ways I can't put into words right now. Maybe it's more of a feeling than something I'm thinking.

I think there is stuff in game 4 for every level of kid I teach.

White Paper posted:

I think that the move before, 36...Rf4+, was the significant mistake. This returned the initiative to Anand with Carlsen's rook still on a8. If Vishy plays 41.Ke3 instead of Kc3, he probably forces Carlsen to take a perpetual.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

crimedog posted:

One of the biggest things I have taken from this so far is the value in having your pieces in touch with each other and working together. Both players have gotten in trouble when their pieces become isolated or are unable to support each other.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

V for Vegas posted:

One of the biggest things I have taken from this so far is the value in having your pieces in touch with each other and working together. Both players have gotten in trouble when their pieces become isolated or are unable to support each other.

Yeah, and it's also driving home the coordination aspect: pointing pieces to a certain square even if it seems easy for the other player to refute.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ugh the one day I actually have to get up really early and it's a rest day. :(

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Hah, I'm loving Sagar Shah's commentary.

Game 3 posted:

29. Rxe3 {the situation has sharpened. Till now all the moves had been made by Vishy were sort of positional in nature. Suddenly the position has become tactical. Though objectively Vishy's advantage has increased, the paths leading to an advantage have decreased. The move e3 was like survival against need. When a cat and mouse run, Usually the mouse outwits the cat, because its a question of survival while to eat the mouse was just the need of the Cat. In this position to break e3 was for survival of Magnus and hence he will calculate the sharp variations well, where as for Vishy he thinks he has many ways to an advantage and hence falters.}

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Those Norwegians love their chess - well, they love that Carlsen is playing for a World Championship, anyway. Full article here, but the bit that caught my attention was that Game 2 had a 42% share of the television market in Norway.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

OrangeKing posted:

Those Norwegians love their chess - well, they love that Carlsen is playing for a World Championship, anyway. Full article here, but the bit that caught my attention was that Game 2 had a 42% share of the television market in Norway.

There's not really much happening at those hours here anyway. Winter sports haven't started yet, and soccer is later in the day. So it's either chess or reruns of some sitcom or other.

Still pretty impressive.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

White Paper posted:

I think that the move before, 36...Rf4+, was the significant mistake. This returned the initiative to Anand with Carlsen's rook still on a8. If Vishy plays 41.Ke3 instead of Kc3, he probably forces Carlsen to take a perpetual.

I was following along with a computer, and if you're curious, stockfish absolutely hated Rf4+ as well, going from -1.01 to -0.64 (Rd8 being the suggested move). After Rf8 stockfish had the match dead even.

I know I'm not really a normal player since I am terrible at chess but computer chess played a big part of becoming a programmer; but I find it absolutely fascinating to play along with Stockfish and play around with variations the commentators are suggesting. Without stockfish I would be incredibly bored watching a lot of the match.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 15, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Queens off the board again. 2 black bishop v white knight and bishop. Looks like this is heading to another draw.

e: Whoah! Anand gets up again!!

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 15, 2013

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I guess Carlsen feels like he will have more stamina and accuracy than Anand and can play it tight and wait for lapses? Feels like he's playing this match the way he plays single gams

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Down to white bishops only. Interesting to see if Carlsen can eke out an endgame here.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

my lovely cat posted:

I guess Carlsen feels like he will have more stamina and accuracy than Anand and can play it tight and wait for lapses? Feels like he's playing this match the way he plays single gams

I came in on move 31 and this feels like a very Carlsen position: mostly equal but Carlsen has simpler points of entry while Anand has more pawn islands to try and account for.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

(move 44) Like last game, we are into an endgame where Anand is a pawn down but can draw with proper play. The big difference, I think, is that this time with bishops and more pawns the draw isn't quite so simple, so there is more opportunity to slip up.

e: As I write that I look at the inbuilt computer, and it's no longer even giving lines where Carlsen retains the pawn.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I think proper defense will be too hard and that white will win. At least that's what's in my heart. Stoop in for the kill, Carlsen!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Vogler posted:

I think proper defense will be too hard and that white will win. At least that's what's in my heart. Stoop in for the kill, Carlsen!

After Rc1+? I don't know if there is a proper defence.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I don't know nearly enough about chess to say anything substantial about the current situation, but I was surprised that the computer simulated chances of results I'm following went from about 10% White, 6% Black, 84% Remis to 53% White, 4% Black, 43% Remis in the last couple of turns. While Anand certainly seems way on the back foot now to me, will it really be that hard to manage remis?

Pretty exciting game today either way.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
Yeah it's won. I predict that the match will be a blood bath as Anand have to play to win from here on out and that Carlsen will dominate the world as #1 for fifteen years.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Vogler posted:

Yeah it's won.

We're not there yet. There are a lot of RPP v R draws.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
How can he stop the A-pawn from advancing though?

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
Carlsen with 100% optimal moves this game according to the houdini engine that's running on the stream I'm watching. Incredible.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Vogler posted:

How can he stop the A-pawn from advancing though?

The idea would be to hold with the rook and then try to use black's king to keep white's king back. Playing the black king forward seems to be somewhat more desperate, and this game may end soon.

e: And he resigns

1.c4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 c6 4. e4 dxe4 5. Nxe4 Bb4+ 6. Nc3 c5 7. a3 Ba5 8. Nf3 Nf6 9. Be3 Nc6 10. Qd3 cxd4 11. Nxd4 Ng4 12. O-O-O Nxe3 13. fxe3 Bc7 14. Nxc6 bxc6 15. Qxd8+ Bxd8 16. Be2 Ke7 17. Bf3 Bd7 18. Ne4 Bb6 19. c5 f5 20. cxb6 fxe4 21. b7 Rab8 22. Bxe4 Rxb7 23. Rhf1 Rb5 24. Rf4 g5 25. Rf3 h5 26. Rdf1 Be8 27. Bc2 Rc5 28. Rf6 h4 29. e4 a5 30. Kd2 Rb5 31. b3 Bh5 32. Kc3 Rc5+ 33. Kb2 Rd8 34. R1f2 Rd4 35. Rh6 Bd1 36. Bb1 Rb5 37. Kc3 c5 38. Rb2 e5 39. Rg6 a4 40. Rxg5 Rxb3+ 41. Rxb3 Bxb3 42. Rxe5+ Kd6 43. Rh5 Rd1 44. e5+ Kd5 45. Bh7 Rc1+ 46. Kb2 Rg1 47. Bg8+ Kc6 48. Rh6+ Kd7 49. Bxb3 axb3 50. Kxb3 Rxg2 51. Rxh4 Ke6 52. a4 Kxe5 53. a5 Kd6 54. Rh7 Kd5 55. a6 c4+ 56. Kc3 Ra2 57. a7 Kc5 58. h4 1-0

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 15, 2013

i am paul newman
Mar 31, 2010
Boom. No more talk of draws.

By the way, why isn't this thread called "Magnus Carlsen, play DOTA, scrub"? :D

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Carlsen wins in the endgame. Shocking.

...Rc1? was the critical move? He wasn't in bad shape before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
A very Carlsen game.

I'm discovering that even a World Championship match isn't much fun if it's played when you're asleep. It's more like reading a book about it. At least I was awake to catch the last few moves of this game.

• Locked thread