Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ironblock posted:

I... uh... what?

Some years ago we had an awesome drawn-out writeup of a project Mustang that the guy had actually finished, much like your thread here, it was very entertaining. But then someone discovered that he was posting under the same screenname on white supremacy boards, and the thread got whisked away before we could get closure. "World's Worst Clydesdale" I believe was the title of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
edit: what he said.

ironblock posted:

I... uh... what?

Fella with a similar posting trajectory to yours, except it wasn't a car I give enough of a poo poo about to recall. Used the same name here as on another forum, so someone here found his posts there only to discover that he was incredibly racist. That got dragged back here, and I think it ended with permabans all around.

There's probably more to it, but as someone who only skims AI for threads like these that's what I got out of it.

I know next to nothing about cars, but love ground-up rebuilds. I was going to add "like these," but I don't think I've seen one this complete before. You've got a good sense of narrative pacing as well. Keep up the excellent work. I'll be here, F5-ing like mad.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Krakkles is referencing a very dumb thing that happened over 4 years ago that has nothing to do with Datsuns or Grand Cayman.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Krakkles is referencing a very dumb thing that happened over 4 years ago that has nothing to do with Datsuns or Grand Cayman.

As a fun fact, Americans are a tiny minority here, and I feel awesome, so... minorities are awesome? :911:

I'm surrounded by Canadians and they're ruder than they say they are

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ironblock posted:

As a fun fact, Americans are a tiny minority here, and I feel awesome, so... minorities are awesome? :911:

I'm surrounded by Canadians and they're ruder than they say they are
And for the record, I was just kidding. Good job on the right answers, though :)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

TheNothingNew posted:

I know next to nothing about cars, but love ground-up rebuilds. I was going to add "like these," but I don't think I've seen one this complete before.

If you haven't seen them, Mooecow and Kevbarlas' threads are right up your alley. They were posted in progress rather than after the fact (and Kev's is still ongoing) but they're perennial favorites.

Mooecow: Milktruck Megathread

Kevbarlas: Coolest Ford camper van ever

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.

buttcrackmenace posted:

I see Number Five, lying on a beach towel, arms behind his head.

He seems angry.

Goddammit. Now I can't unsee that.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
There was also that one dude who had that crazy 300 hp Golf build and turned out to be a giant tool bag.
Glad your not a tool bag OP. Please for the love of God continue.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

I want to tell you guys everything all in one go, but since the car is in California and I live on Grand Cayman, I'll eventually catch you up with my own sadness. Unless my situation changes, and it might

I only drag this out because I love you.

In any case, I finally transferred my photo library to my workstation, so now I can seriouspost :dukedog: in style. I've also found a few more special gems I thought I'd lost, like this image of the glorious feast I had for New Years Eve, 2012:

Anyways, let's get started.

Comparative analytics

Now that I have more pictures of everything, I can do some proper comparisons for the before and after on the suspension. This, to me, is proof positive that even the rustiest shitbucket can be saved. Now I just need to find a Graham-Paige Spirit of Motion coupe.

This is just a casual example of some of the wretched flak that came off of my hubs, ball joints, and A frames.

I won't lie, I almost gave up here. I had to buy a 3/4" adapter for my 1/2" air gun, beacuse the spindle bushings are interference fit to 175ft/lbs. I thought I was going to destroy my vise. It's important, though, because this is the 'restoration' part of 'restomod' that so many people seem to overlook.

There's a huge tendency to just slather some Rustoleum black on the frame and call it good - but if I didn't replace these spindle bushings, the A arms would have had a huge amount of play, top and bottom. Pound for pound, there's nothing that will do more for the way the car feels and drives than replacing wear parts in the suspension. I don't think new cars are all that much better, handling-wise. They're just starting with all their wear parts at 100%, whereas a 'nice classic' will still have had some lifetime wear. 45 years is a lot of metal-on-metal time.
:goonsay:

This is the quality of the stuff I gave to Maas.

This is what I got back.

I replaced the spindle bushings with new Nissan, and that fixed nearly all of the slop. At the time, spindle links were NLA, so I had given up on them. At the time of this writing, they're back on the menu, so I get to spend another huge chunk of cash on threaded rods.

New seals, lockplates, and Zerks finished the job, and I had the components ready to go back on.

GWS is leaking
Another misadventure I want to share with you fine folks is making "differential soup". My diff was caked with the same oil-dirt hellspawn as the axle, but it hadn't gone for media blasting. I had to clean it at home, so I tried a variety of different things.

Eventually, frustrated that NONE of them were working, I mixed them all together in a tub, ladled it over the diff, and went for a wire wheel. That seems to have solved the problem but I think I have cancer now :smug:

A new mystery for you

I thought I was going to get further in the process, but I forgot how much was involved with all of the suspension hard parts.

I did promise brake and transmission content, so I'll leave you with something to consider, and a mystery for Goondetectives to solve.

Mystery one: What's in the box tub?

Mystery two: That's a stock brake caliper on the left.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Gonna guess the tub has some dope wheels to fit over the larger brake setup.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Fucknag posted:

Gonna guess the tub has some dope wheels to fit over the larger brake setup.

I'm going to guess transmission based on IronBlock's last post.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I've found Berryman's B-33 degreaser to work wonders, but I see what appears to be a can of it there. So if that didn't do the trick, that must have been some nasty gunk.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Echoing just how awesome this project is, and looking forward to seeing more of the story unfold.

My guess is Toyota 4pots and a disassembled transmission in the tub.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ironblock posted:

This is what I got back.

Aha, that's interesting. Your inner joints for the suspension arms are self-tapping threas into the pressed arms, running on an Acme-esque thread on the pivot attached to the chassis? My Standard has that setup, and I don't recall seeing another car use the same design. My kingpins between the lower arm and upright (tops are balljoints) are the same design.

Word is that they prefer heavy oil to grease for best performance and wear-prevention.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ironblock posted:

This is what I got back.

Excellent - they're the shop for me to get my stuff done then :)

I hope there are more updates to this thread soon!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tub has some huge rotors to go with the calipers.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Judging by its size v. the shop door, its a transmission. They usually come in plastic tubs like that, and its way too big to be a rotor (which traditionally come in small cardboard boxes)

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

ironblock posted:

1 (One) ACME-Brand Homo Sapiens
Some Assembly Required

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

ironblock posted:

A handful of elderly, retired automotive engineers from Yokohama?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Judging by its size v. the shop door, its a transmission. They usually come in plastic tubs like that, and its way too big to be a rotor (which traditionally come in small cardboard boxes)

Oh, it was delivered in that tub? I thought it was just a storage tub of his.....Then yeah transmission sounds about right.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

My dream car was always an early Datsun of some sort. I always liked the idea of a 240/260Z with an F20C or F22C1 in there. It just seemed right to me.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

My dream car was always an early Datsun of some sort. I always liked the idea of a 240/260Z with an F20C or F22C1 in there. It just seemed right to me.

Putting a 4 cylinder engine in a Z is a war crime. You wouldn't put an EcoBoost in a 67 Mustang. Don't do this.

General thread update: I'm in Vegas to see NIN, and may not have the next chapter before Sunday, when I get back. Depending on what remote work my buddy and I each have to do, it might still happen. Vegas is awesome.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ironblock posted:

Putting a 4 cylinder engine in a Z is a war crime. You wouldn't put an EcoBoost in a 67 Mustang. Don't do this.

I think I love this thread just this much more, now.

As an aside: Ask Josh Eustis what the new TTA release is named? TIA.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ironblock posted:

You wouldn't put an EcoBoost in a 67 Mustang. Don't do this.

Worked pretty well for the SVO. :colbert:

Although if we're talking Ecoboost it's gotta be the 3.5.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
gently caress it, put in the 3.2 I5 Powerstroke into a 67 Mustang. Watch heads explode.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Phone posted:

gently caress it, put in the 3.2 I5 Powerstroke into a 67 Mustang. Watch heads explode.

The diesel 3.2L I5 from the ranger?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phone posted:

It'd be like the Duramax GNX but from some weird alternate history version of the US where Ford was the one to try a poorly-received cynically-engineered consumer diesel first.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

ironblock posted:

General thread update: I'm in Vegas to see NIN, and may not have the next chapter before Sunday, when I get back. Depending on what remote work my buddy and I each have to do, it might still happen. Vegas is awesome.

I would if I could, sir :colbert:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It'd be like the Duramax GNX but from some weird alternate history version of the US where Ford was the one to try a poorly-received cynically-engineered consumer diesel first.

That is a ridiculous swap and the execution is so perfect.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Is the new Ford diesel a turd or something? I feel like I'm missing something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Is the new Ford diesel a turd or something? I feel like I'm missing something.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/vintage-speed/top-automotive-engineering-failures-oldsmobile-diesels

The Mustang would have been an appropriate choice if Ford had made a bad diesel in the 80s.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 15, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Good because I was tangentially interested in a 2015 Ford Transit. :v:

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Most modern Ford diesels are basically PSA diesels, which is a Good Thing as Peugeot make very good oil-burners.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/vintage-speed/top-automotive-engineering-failures-oldsmobile-diesels

The Mustang would have been an appropriate choice if Ford had made a bad diesel in the 80s.

My family took a GM diesel to nearly 300k. Two head jobs and otherwise almost zero work. That car ruled, and it's still running (although it's in need of head work again).

It even sat for about 6 years and it came back to life within 10 minutes of putting in the battery.

e: I admit that this was not the typical experience and reaction to those things, but we loved it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wasn't like the sole root issue with the Olds diesel the fact that they used the same head bolts from the gas V8 on a motor with 22:1 compression?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Fucknag posted:

Wasn't like the sole root issue with the Olds diesel the fact that they used the same head bolts from the gas V8 on a motor with 22:1 compression?

Well, that was part of it. The other reason is there simply were not enough bolts holding it all together.

That and the water/fuel separator issue.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

As long as we're talking about diesel engines in a Datsun thread, I'll continue the derail a little longer so that I can submit this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLbN45c44Q8

This swap is awesome.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
As I have personally done a Girling swap a couple of years ago, I will refrain from answering Mystery #2.

This is awesome. Hopefully I can chime in if you have any questions on random Roadster poo poo.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

ironblock posted:

As long as we're talking about diesel engines in a Datsun thread, I'll continue the derail a little longer so that I can submit this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLbN45c44Q8

This swap is awesome.

I would drive the poo poo out of this. Didn't they make an LD28T for some markets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Viking Blood posted:

As I have personally done a Girling swap a couple of years ago, I will refrain from answering Mystery #2.

This is awesome. Hopefully I can chime in if you have any questions on random Roadster poo poo.

Oh poo poo, do I know you from 311s.org? I post under my real name there, but you'd recognize my avatar.

• Locked thread