Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Falken posted:

Hi guys, long time Forza fan who's been burnt by Turn 10. Can I come stay with you guys?

Depends. how do you feel about new editions of racing sims adding lots of new tracks, and not removing tracks, and allowing users to make hundreds of new tracks? Also the Nissan Skyline.

Welcome. Have some hype, there's plenty to go around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Actually it looks like GT6 won't have the Top Gear Test Track, since it's mysteriously absent from the track list on the official website. Considering Turn 10's partnership with the show for Forza 5 and that they played dirty with the Ferrari license before they lost it, you can probably guess what's happened there. It's a shame that they can't play nice, but oh well.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Wait, Forza or Gran Turismo lost the Ferrari license?

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

The TG track is a nice short-ish track for testing setups, but it's not really designed for racing unless you're doing some wacky demo derby hijinks. There's more than enough in GT6's lineup to make up for it being gone anyway.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Microsoft did. They were pretty big dicks to other developers with it because they wanted Forza to be the only game on Xbox 360 to have cars from Ferrari. I recall some Atari devs and EA devs (I think) making a fuss about it a while back, and then surprise surprise EA started being dicks with the Porsche license in retaliation :v:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Oh yeah can't expect any less from MS and friends. At least Sony and PD are being nice enough and not cutting anyone off of Nissan... actually that'd be hilarious. Oh you want the GT-R, gently caress you with a giant poster of Kaz hugging a GT-R and giving you the middle finger.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Falken posted:

Hi guys, long time Forza fan who's been burnt by Turn 10. Can I come stay with you guys?

There's also DriveClub and Project CARS if you want a next-gen racing sim.

MUFFlNS posted:

Actually it looks like GT6 won't have the Top Gear Test Track, since it's mysteriously absent from the track list on the official website. Considering Turn 10's partnership with the show for Forza 5 and that they played dirty with the Ferrari license before they lost it, you can probably guess what's happened there. It's a shame that they can't play nice, but oh well.

Oh well, I'll still have GT5 around if I want to drive around it. It could have been better implemented, because the game had neither the ability to do a time trial from a rolling start, nor the Reasonably Priced Car.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

That loving Sned posted:

There's also DriveClub and Project CARS if you want a next-gen racing sim.

Oh well, I'll still have GT5 around if I want to drive around it. It could have been better implemented, because the game had neither the ability to do a time trial from a rolling start, nor the Reasonably Priced Car.

Wait which game are you talking about because GT5 certainly had time trials from rolling starts and reasonably priced cars.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Werthog 95 posted:

Uh. Can you be a little more specific? What did you like about 3 that 5 didn't do for you? Have you read about the changes in 6? Graphics is pretty much the least significant change.

One thing specifically that I didn't like about 5 was the level locking. Only way to move forwards was to accumulate enough points. By comparison, 3 is far more plexible about how you can progress. You could get a F1 car in an hour or so without buying a single car. There always also a larger variety of events.

The only things I liked about 5 over 3 were the graphics and the kart racing.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
My biggest problem with 5 is that it wouldn't let me take whatever car I wanted on whatever track I wanted. Let me drive a stock car on a rally track, let me drive this Ferarri in the snow. Why does it stop me :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

El Hefe posted:

Wait which game are you talking about because GT5 certainly had time trials from rolling starts and reasonably priced cars.

The Kia, the lecetti, and the liana aren't in gt5.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

GutBomb posted:

The Kia, the lecetti, and the liana aren't in gt5.

There are literally a thousand other cars.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

El Hefe posted:

There are literally a thousand other cars.

Yes but those three are the specific Reasonably Priced Cars used on the Test Track on Top Gear. It's a fun thing to lap the track and compare your time to your favorite celebrities.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I'm sure there's a car in all of GT5 with the same performance as any of those 3.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

El Hefe posted:

I'm sure there's a car in all of GT5 with the same performance as any of those 3.

I'm sure you're right, however to a lot of people the appeal of having 1200 cars is that you can play as a specific car from your favorite TV show or film or whatever, especially one as specific as Top Gear. It's like if they had a Fast Five Rio stage and didn't pack in a SRT8 to play as. That would be really annoying to a lot of folks. At any rate, the track isn't in GT6 and I think no one can complain about the roster by and large. That's the great part, everyone can find their own fun. Positivity!

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
They are including Bathurst and not a single premium Australian V8 car, who cares.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

El Hefe posted:

They are including Bathurst and not a single premium Australian V8 car, who cares.

Not being able to see things from other people's perspectives is a sign of autism

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

GutBomb posted:

Not being able to see things from other people's perspectives is a sign of autism

Being obsessed about driving the exact same car from the TV show is one too I bet.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

El Hefe posted:

Being obsessed about driving the exact same car from the TV show is one too I bet.

If you don't want to see if you can "beat the stig" that's just sad

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

GutBomb posted:

If you don't want to see if you can "beat the stig" that's just sad

I can beat him, I don't need no stupid Korean car to prove it. :smug:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

El Hefe posted:

Just use NASCARs at Bathurst. Close enough, right? :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's fun being able to drive the cars from Top Gear. :(

I don't like V8 Supercars anyways. :smith:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

projecthalaxy posted:

Just use NASCARs at Bathurst. Close enough, right? :v:

I, for one, pretend those cars don't exist.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Well technically there is one V8 Supercar but that's one of the standard cars. Only thing you can do is make believe it's the 12 Hours of Bathurst and use one of the GT3 cars like the Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Nissan, or some other one I can't think of.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Trying to decide between Gamestop or Amazon pre-orders. The special paint schemes are kind of cool. But starting with a million car bucks would really take the grind out of the game. Opinions?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Trying to decide between Gamestop or Amazon pre-orders. The special paint schemes are kind of cool. But starting with a million car bucks would really take the grind out of the game. Opinions?

I went Amazon because I'd rather build my own garage and losing GameStop livery is not really a deal breaker for me. Plus in my experience Amazon is a lot better at shipping if you can't/won't go to a brick and mortar GS.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

I went Amazon because I'd rather build my own garage and losing GameStop livery is not really a deal breaker for me. Plus in my experience Amazon is a lot better at shipping if you can't/won't go to a brick and mortar GS.

I went the other way, because if it's anything like GT5, a million credits won't be that hard to get. I thought the paint schemes didn't look that bad either.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Drunk Badger posted:

I went the other way, because if it's anything like GT5, a million credits won't be that hard to get. I thought the paint schemes didn't look that bad either.

Yeah with the cost of the cars and upgrades put on it, I'm guessing the cost of all those cars are in the neighborhood of over 10 million credits and I can earn a million quickly by how the online events were giving out big rewards.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

E: Beaten

VVV Yeah, GT5 was way too ambitious. I'd have really preferred if they stuck to the old model of putting out the first game in a reasonable amount of time, and the second one being filled with content.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 7, 2013

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm hoping the trend of every Even Numbered GT game being the better one holds up.

1 was good but limited, 2 was the same game with a lot more content, 3 was a new system and again was quite limited, 4 was 3 + a ton of content, 5 was... optimistic but full of flaws, and I'm hoping 6 is the game we've been waiting for since "Gran Turismo HD Concept" got canceled.

Basically, 5 should never have existed.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Well, if the trend of every console getting 2 GT games needs to fit then 5 still needs to exist to lay the groundwork for all that fancy PS3 graphics and whatnot if nothing else.

The only bone I have to pick with 4 is that they dropped the historic F1 cars that were in 3 and just replaced it with some generic assed soulless PD formula car.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Seamonster posted:

The only bone I have to pick with 4 is that they dropped the historic F1 cars that were in 3 and just replaced it with some generic assed soulless PD formula car.

If I remember correctly the F1 cars and some of the other race cars that were in GT3 were there because PD managed to exploit a licensing loophole, by licensing the cars through the racing teams instead of the manufacturer. They also tried to do that with the Lamborghini Diablo that raced in SuperGT at the time, but got caught and rather than risk a mountain of legal trouble they decided to not chance it with GT4.

That's also why you had that near impossible race in GT3 that involved racing a stock Zonda against a field of race-prepped ones.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Discussion question while we wait for new news: Do you like to drive the lower or higher-end cars, generally? While there is a definite visceral appeal to bombing around tracks I'll never get to drive on in cars I'll never be rich and famous enough to touch much less flog around, a lot of the fun of these modern sims like Forza and Gran Turismo comes from taking an ordinary street car like a Mazda MX-5 or a VW GTI, or an antique like an old Thunderbird and slowly but surely upgrading, rebuilding, and tuning it until it can compete with actual GT cars. I like taking it around a track stock, then fully prepped and seeing my times drop 20-30%. How about you?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MUFFlNS posted:

We all have to pay the Ferrari piper because Sega shamed all other racing games with the awesomeness of Outrun 2006 on original XBox.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

How about you?

I like to drive all the cars I've ever owned that pop up in the game, it's interesting to see how far they can go since I didn't get the chance to do it in real life.

E: I also like to think it's the afterlife for my 91' Toyota MR2 that got T-boned. :unsmith:

Lyer fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 8, 2013

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I like to drive the relatively powerful cars, at least a MX-5, I can't drive a Fiat 500 and have fun though they are just too slow, but the GT Academy demo made driving around in a Leaf fun so it looks like things have changed in GT6 with the new physics.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I like to drive my own car, the VW Golf Mark IV, in the game. It's even the right colour, although the wheel's on the opposite side since I'm in the UK, and Gran Turismo usually keeps the wheel on the side of the original country. I also made a souped-up version to see what potential my car really has.

I think low-power cars are more fun to drive, because it's much easier to keep them on the road. You can also reach their top speed more easily, while doing so in a racing car will not work out well when you reach the next turn.

I even like doing the Nürburgring with weather and day/night in a WV Samba Bus, because it's so relaxing to drive. You hardly need to break for any of the turns. I guess since I gave up on ever making more progress on A-spec or B-spec, I just mess around with the cars and tracks I already have.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Indeed. I am going to find the lowest HP car available and do all the hillclimbs with it. Just struuuuuuuuugle up those slopes. Hopefully I can make a Track Builder track that is just an endless 1:3 or steeper slope up.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like to drive the high end stuff because it's more intense. Going 220mph on the nurburgerkingring and cutting the grass is a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
On pre-order chat, for UK folk it's really quite simple: GAME has all of the pre-order packs. :v: And they know it, too: the version with all the stuff in it is £60.

• Locked thread